charkitty

Looking for "Stiff" Thread

What's the best "stiff" thread that requires little or no starching? I'm looking for a thread (to make earrings/necklaces) that's stiff and will not curl.

Also what's the best thread for "drape"?

Thanks!

charkitty

There is a permanent stiffener in a spray bottle. I usually pour it on to saturate for a good stiffness. A small hook and tight crochet wil make things stiffer, also. I got a ball of Caron thread at the thrift store. I had never used that brand before. It is very soft and gives a good drape. I used it for a large skirt for a 9 inch doll, a(Miss Rio)nd it draped very good.

All you need to do is use a hook 1-2 times smaller than is perfect for the yarn and you'll get stiff.

Stick with the cotton yarns. The bamboo and silks will always be softer.

Cebilia (DMC) is a thread with a fairly "stiff" solid feel to it. as RoseRed said, stick with cottons, and work tight, and your work should be fairly stiff. depending on the structure of your jewelry pieces, you may still want to add some stiffener, but that's designer choice ;).

For drape, I love the Aunt Lydia's Bamboo thread. (also very dye-able, if you aren't thrilled with the colors you can find in your area. personally, I'm happy with the colors available, but I like to play, so sometimes I "hand-paint" a skein)

HTH

Actually, I meant thread but the idea translates to yarn as well.