What is your niche?

What is your crochet niche? Have you found one yet or do you do lots and lots of different things?

For me, I'm still working on finding my exact niche. I like to use lots of colors in my projects and I really enjoy the simple looking patterns, especially in terms of afghans. I believe part of my niche has to do with consistency of stitches and my ability to work with a wide range of colors and still have them work well together.

I also tend to make "trinkets", if that makes sense. I make amigurumi and magnets and wall decorations and very random things. I make many faith based items as well.

I don't really have a niche. Just whatever I feel like making at that moment. Occasionally I'll get in the "zone" and churn out a few afghans, or maybe 20 or 30 potholders, but I usually just let my hook and yarn tell me where they want to go...

I crochet mostly for various charities. I make whatever they are requesting.

This includes kids afghans for Project Linus,chemo caps for the cancer center,slippers,gloves,hats,mittens for a woman's shelter program,prayer

shawls for church and for a local hospice program. I am always working on something. I feel its a blessing to reach out to others.

I'm more into free-form crochet to make clothing, especially for my 4 year old niece, who is the Princess of the entire family.

I love working with variegated yarn and have a bad habit of gettiing myself into trouble by seeing a scarf pattern and thinking, I just have to multiply it by 10 and then IT'LL BE A GREAT BEDSPREAD!

I crochet mostly for various charities. I make whatever they are requesting.

This includes kids afghans for Project Linus,chemo caps for the cancer center,slippers,gloves,hats,mittens for a woman's shelter program,prayer

shawls for church and for a local hospice program. I am always working on something. I feel its a blessing to reach out to others.

I, too, love doing charity based work. I'm currently making items for pastors to give during hospital visitations. My grandfather has been fighting brain cancer for the last few months and he is a retired minister, who did lots and lots of hospital visitations. This is my way of giving to others in celebration of what my grandfather once did when he was healthy.

Have you made hats for your local NICU? I've got a pile of them that I need to drop off. I'm also hoping to make some items that can be given out at Christmas for my local Salvation Army.

I'm more into free-form crochet to make clothing, especially for my 4 year old niece, who is the Princess of the entire family.

I love working with variegated yarn and have a bad habit of gettiing myself into trouble by seeing a scarf pattern and thinking, I just have to multiply it by 10 and then IT'LL BE A GREAT BEDSPREAD!

Free-form clothing? I've seen a little bit of this style online, but I haven't tried much of it and haven't really seen a whole lot.

Scarf patterns can make beautiful bedspreads! Mile-a-minute afghans are a perfect example of this and with knitting, bedspreads are usually sewn together in strips anyway. Go for it!!

well, free form is technically anything made without a pattern. luckily most clothing is just squares and rectangles sewn together stratectically.

The whole getting into trouble with the bedspread isn't the level of difficulty, it's the allocation of time!

I would have to say that my niche is crocheting in general. It's become my 'happy place' regardless of what I'm making. I dabble in other mediums, but when I have a bad day, or when I'm bored, or upset, or the passenger in a car ride, I always have a ball of yarn and a hook with me.

I knew how to crochet for many years before I really learned to read patterns. Up until about 2 years ago, I had only made about 3 items from patterns. Now that I can follow patterns pretty well, I'm just enjoying making whatever I see that pleases me. I've made a few afghans, a lot of hats for charity, and some slippers. I also learned how to work with thread and I love it! I've done several items in thread and now have a pretty large thread stash to go along with my yarn. Recently I have been thinking about trying my hand at apparel. Perhaps a jacket for myself.

Soon I'm going to be starting my charity hats for this year and a few afghans for charity.

• 4 months later...

I haven't made much, but of what I've made, I've enjoyed making scarves and shawls. The first three scarves I made weren't any pattern, just stitched up and given away. They were made the LONG way...short-ways. I've since made 2 shell scarves and a ruffle scarf, which was a lot of fun.

I've made 3 shawls, each one with the same pattern...Lion Brand's Easy Triangle Shawl. It's so easy! I love making that one.

I've made one afghan for my mom with another in progress for my sister. I keep drooling over the afghans I've seen here, so I may try making more in the future!

As far as what I really like to do...I haven't made a whole lot, but as I go through patterns, I see a lot of what I would like to try.

I would have to say that my niche is crocheting in general. It's become my 'happy place' regardless of what I'm making. I dabble in other mediums, but when I have a bad day, or when I'm bored, or upset, or the passenger in a car ride, I always have a ball of yarn and a hook with me.

I am with you. Crocheting is my favorite craft of all and right now my sanity, especiallythat my mom has been put on Hospice at the assisted living facility where she resides in the Alzheimers unit.

But I do have sub-niches, which are afghans, hats and scarves. Since I do a lot for charity projects, that is where I tend to focus.

LI Roe

I don't have a specific niche either....It comes and goes. Right now, I am mostly crocheting afghans. But, I have also just sent off 15 chemo hats to Knots of Love that I crocheted during the Olympics. Crocheting is my niche.....

I love to make everything crocheted. Afghans are my number one interest, especially Sqiares and different shapes to piece together. Second is baby clothing for my charities.

I like mixing colors, expermenting with different techniques and yarns together.

I knit, sew, paint, macrame, embroider and many other needle and art crafts but crochet is my main love.

My niche in crochet is doing work in single crochet. I know that sounds odd, because so many people do not have the patience for it, but I love the fabric it makes. My favorites to make are all kinds of bags and totes, and rugs. Most recently I have added bathcloths in cotton also as a "go to" project between the larger projects. I usually make everything in a variety of stripes, which does make for a lot of ends to tie and weave in. I often embellish the bags and totes with matching flowers or hearts.

I love afghans, which is essentially all I do, though at the moment a friend is having me make her a couple of hats and scarves. I make them lapghan size for a couple of charities. I go for simple patterns because what I love even more than crocheting is crocheting while listening to audiobooks, and I can't read a complicated pattern and pay attention to a book at the same time.

I prefer one piece ones, but I'm going to start doing some in squares because I can take those to work much more easily. To crown my life, there is a LOT of downtime at my job and my director recently told me she didn't mind at all if I crocheted while I held down the fort. That's great not only because I can do it guilt free now (I was doing it anyway :devil), but I spend less time surfing the internet from sheer boredom and we all know that surfing can end up being a costly pastime. :lol

I am all about the ZONE....I find a pattern and whip out 20-30 of something sometimes must be my ADD coming out...I started to crochet for something to do at work plus to assist w/ carpel tunnel (at since I am getting older my hands/fingers were getting stiffer from now using them much anymore plus when I drive for work they were going numb (steeling wheel pressure) Right now I am crocheting for Hospice they provided me w/ supplies & I crochet stuff (zero cost to me & I feel good doing it plus I know someone can really use the items I am making not just sitting in my 4 boxes full of donation stuff for winter time just sitting there) so I have been whipping out crochet shawls and but recently was getting bored with pattern so I found a new one :cheer and can't wait to finish so I can see how it turns out I am working on 2 shawls right now ( I have one in the end stage to big to do on the go and one started for my on the go bag I take everywhere with me even work ) I have attached one I just finished not the greatest pic but you will get the point...:c9

post-35509-135897781432_thumb.jpg

I don't think I have a niche, I enjoy doing crochet and like to try crocheting a variety of things.

Although there are a few things that I always done and it has become expected - 1 crochet afghan for bridal showers, 2 -crochet baby blanket for baby showers. My great neices and nephews get a layette set, and crochet teddy bear.

• 2 months later...

I don't have a niche. Crochet allows me to have adult ADD and jump around when I get bored. But if I am not doing a special project I make a baby blamket. It is the gift that I always need to have ready.

Archived