What to do with appliques?

brtb

Question

Hi,

I've bought a few crochet applique patterns on Etsy? They are adorable and fun to make. However, I don't know what to do with them once I make them. Frame them? Cards?

What do you do with your crochet appliques?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Hi there!... You have some great ideas!!! I put mine on totes and hats. They can also adorn clothing. Even keychains. Have fun!!!

You can hot glue/ sew them to bags, hats, jeans/ shirts/ clothing, put them on homemade cards, use them in scrapbooks, make them into decorative pins to wear on shirts (for example if you bought pink ribbons or something), attach them to items you have made (crochet, knit, sew)...

I like making appliques because they are so versitile.

What kind of appliques did you get? Do share, do share!!!

Hot glue! Excellent! I was thinking that I would have to sew them onto hats, blankets, etc. This makes things a little easier.

Check out One and Two Company on Etsy.http://www.etsy.com/shop/oneandtwocompany?ref=shop_sugg

I bought the hedgehog and the elephant pattern. If you "like" her Facebook page there is a free daschshund pattern that she will send you. It's super cute!

I sew them on purses and totes. People are always surprised to find I've put flowers, hearts or butterflies on their gifts.

I saw a cute idea on Pinterest -- they had taken doilies and appliques and sewn them onto furniture -- first to cover worn spots and then just for fun. :) I've used them on Stockings, a tree skirt, totes, and a scarf. I want to use them on more projects as there has been an influx of adorable appliques recently! You could use them to make a plain T-shirt extra special, use them to patch a pair of jeans (sometimes those purposely-worn holes are a little too much), you can even use them on shoes. Bobs are fun to paint, embroider and sew appliques on! :) Skies the limit -- just about any project can be embellished with an applique -- make some placemats, a tablecloth, a pillow, an afghan -- they can all be adorned with an applique or two or three.... :) Fun!!!

I wouldn't use hot glue on anything that you're going to throw in the washer or dryer. Actually, I wouldn't use hot glue on wearables either. Save the hot glue for something that just sits there and looks pretty.

Sewing on an applique isn't hard and it only takes a few minutes. One thing that I do is to leave a long tail and use that to sew it to the backing.

Archived