Stitch options

purples

I'm new to the style of tapestry crochet -- is it possible to use half-doubles, instead of singles, and still achieve a similar result? I tried it today with my J hook (6.00mm) and it wasn't tight enough and I didn't know if I was simply using too large of a hook or if it truly only works with single stitch. Personally, I prefer the appearance and height/ width consistency of half-doubles and was just curious if this might be a realistic option for this style of crochet.

The 3rd (unfinished) round of kitties in this photo have been crocheted using hdc. I started the bag using a 3.5MM handled hook and I continued to use the same hook when I changed over to hdc stitches. The hdc's are just as stiff as the sc's, but using the hdc stitch has drastically changed the appearance of the motif. It is much taller than wide.

Oh wow, I was totally off then in terms of hook size! I like using a G hook too, so I'll try that and maybe use something a little thinner/ lighter than WW yarn this next time.

I'm so grateful for your quick replies!!! I'm really curious about this style of crochet... I'll have to post some pictures of my up and coming adventures then :)

The hdc looks good, and works ok when doing work in the round. I wonder how it would work on flat pieces that are done in rows???? Can one do a hdc in the opposite direction???

I gave it a try with this bag I'm currently working on. I was able to make a pass working from the left to the right using my left hand to make the stitches. (I'm normally right handed.) I was able to do it, but it would take a bit more practice. I don't know if you could so a reverse hdc though. Most everyone I've known that has done flat prefers the reverse method because they are unable to use their non-dominant hand to crochet.

Archived