Beaglelady

omega fontana subsitution

Question

I'm insterested in making this http://www.crochetmagazine.com/

(on the front cover).

Pattern calls to use Omega Fontana light sport cotton. Having difficulty finding it. Any suggestions as to what brand I could use instead?:think

Thanks for the help!!

7 answers to this question

Sinfonia Cotton, also by Omega, is also a sport weight cotton and mercerized. My local Hobby Lobby sells it, not sure about any of the other big box stores though...

ETA: Paton's Grace is also a sport weight cotton and is soft and drapey. It's usually more widely available. I've seen it at michaels and other stores.

Edited by CrochetAmore

thanks! I'll have to look into that one.

Cascade has a wonderful pima cotton..but I'm not sure what weight it is, but I know it's lighter than ww..I think :think

edit: ok it is a dk weight so probably to heavy

I've used Patons Grace, and it's nice. It does have a nice drape. I almost wrote grape, ha, ha!

At the time I bought it, I was expecting something heavier, so it took me time to get used to it because I'm used to working with worsted weight.

I just downloaded my digital copy of that magazine and that is the project I picked out as wanting to make as well. I wonder how it would turn out in worsted weight yarn. I've substituted WW for sport cotton before and it is not to dificult to adjust as you go. I usually can just use the directions for a much smaller size and it will turn out right for me (XL). I happen to have a ton of bright yellow acrylic..... but then it would not feel as good and the drape would not be nice. Since it's something I want to wear I think I have to follow the advice you are getting here. It's the prettiest sweater that I would actually wear I've seen in a long time.