Hard to sell

I was just wondering whether anyone finds it hard to sell their crochet items? And whether you have any tips and advice for new crochet businesses?

I have tried to use facebook to put my crochet work around, but i'm not sure how else to go about with marketing?I know you can never make anyone buy anything, but it would be nice to have at least one sale! :lol

Have you considered listing your items on etsy or artfire? those are huge craft selling sites and they're not very expensive to sell things on :)

Word of mouth and lots of pictures have worked best for me. I mainly crochet for "ministry purposes", but I am frequently asked to make things for others for a price. I crochet practically everywhere and I talk openly about crochet, as crochet is a big part of my life.

Have you tried craft fairs?

What about entering your pieces in the local fair? You can enter the fair, share the news with people you know and have them go out and look at your items on display. You can expose other people to your craft this way and possibly give them I ideas of items they might want made (by you).

Many of my project ideas have come from other people who have noticed that I crochet and they have asked me if I could make BLANK or BLANK - I love crochet challenges and by customizing what I make for others, then they start spreading the word around about the items I can make. For me, it has all returned to word of mouth advertising.

Bottom line for me, I crochet and share what I make out of the ministry aspect - however, it has also served me well in terms of advertising and finances, when I have the time to make the items for a profit.

You may want to check out this thread on the ville, http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=138278

where a similar discussion was held on selling and craft fairs. What it boiled down to is your determination and the location of a craft fair as well as the type of item being sold.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Purples. I crochet mostly for charity but I also have a business and one happy customer, telling all her friends about your product and about the wonderful experience that it is buying form you (in other words, your great customer service) is worth a million dollars in Facebook ads, for example. Good, supportive worth of mouth is priceless!

• 1 month later...

I have found that a lot of times the market is so overwhelmed by crochet/knit items that most people won't buy unless it's some oddball thing. Also, the time it takes to make things in conjunction with specialty yarns (in certain projects) tends to make the prices a lot steeper. Many people see a beautiful item, but don't stop to realize just how much time it took to create.

Hence the reason I sew for fun and profit, and just crochet for fun and gifts.

• 1 month later...

Archived