Washcloths for Soldiers

I hate to be the one to tell you, but today on the Knitting Paradise Forum and member said she wrote to the "Warmth for Warriors" and they replied back that they did not need washcloths at this time.

I find this very strange because the Warmth for Warriors site on Ravelry does not say this. I will continue to make and send.

I personally spoke with Meta from Warmth for Warriors on the phone yesterday - YES THEY ARE WANTING AND ACCEPTING WASHCLOTHS AT THIS TIME. They will also.continue to accept washcloths after the summer months. They are also trying to collect the mini stockings.

As of this evening, I'm are over 30 washcloths - I'll ship them when I have enough to make it better financially for mailing cost.

Keep on crocheting!!!

Here are some of the washcloths I've been making. My favorite shape to make is the star and I have probably over 20 in this shape. I just bought some new colors to make more combinations with :) I'm so super excited!!!

post-60226-135897768239_thumb.jpg

post-60226-135897768243_thumb.jpg

post-60226-135897768246_thumb.jpg

post-60226-135897768249_thumb.jpg

post-60226-135897768252_thumb.jpg

Very nice. I do hestitate to make any with large holes - the cloths stretch out when using.

I might try some of the stars.

I tend to keep mine about 8" because of stretching.

I make squares too. I did a couple of octagonal - the pattern was too big and I had to do adjustments. Really did the octagonal just to experiment. I knit the cloths more than I crochet them - for no particular reason.

I make squares too. I did a couple of octagonal - the pattern was too big and I had to do adjustments. Really did the octagonal just to experiment. I knit the cloths more than I crochet them - for no particular reason.

I love how this project lets us experiment and have so much fun and bless others at the same time!

Have any of you added a tag of any kind?? I kinda wanted to add a small one. Just something that says 'Thank you!' on it. I see on the website though that it looks like they add tags and you have to pay to have your name included?? Am I reading that right?

Have any of you added a tag of any kind?? I kinda wanted to add a small one. Just something that says 'Thank you!' on it. I see on the website though that it looks like they add tags and you have to pay to have your name included?? Am I reading that right?

My impression (w/o going back and reading again) is that they don't want anyone to add their own tags.

Do recall an option for paying for something.

All I'm doing is making and sending.

• 1 month later...

This is awesome! I will probably join but in a different way. My husbands unit deployed recently again and many would love this! Maybe I'll make some for this and some for his buddies. I know last month Ft Bliss lost 11 soldiers so these are very much needed for our men/women it's a small comfort that helps them through the rough times.

• 3 weeks later...

Have a friend that is part of a group that sends helmet caps and washcloths to soldiers - when I saw her last weekend, I gave her seven dozen washcloths to send. She could not believe that I had done that many - really I had a stash of part of them but was so glad that they were going to such a good cause. I will do some more.

Have a friend that is part of a group that sends helmet caps and washcloths to soldiers - when I saw her last weekend, I gave her seven dozen washcloths to send. She could not believe that I had done that many - really I had a stash of part of them but was so glad that they were going to such a good cause. I will do some more.

That is so wonderful. They just hit 5000 washcloth for the drive. Thank you so much for your contribution. :cheer

• 1 month later...

I mailed 5 washcloths on Friday, Nov. 9th. 2 octagonal and 3 square. I also posted on Warmth for Warriors which I guess I really didn't have to. Although I sent directly to the MI address. Hope they are received.

I mailed 5 washcloths on Friday, Nov. 9th. 2 octagonal and 3 square. I also posted on Warmth for Warriors which I guess I really didn't have to. Although I sent directly to the MI address. Hope they are received.

That is wonderful and they so appreciate all the donations they are receiving for the Warmth for Warriors charity. :manyheart

• 7 years later...
On 11/10/2012 at 9:34 PM, RecycleCindy said:

That is wonderful and they so appreciate all the donations they are receiving for the Warmth for Warriors charity. :manyheart

Washcloths?, who is going to wash that for them?. Maybe they just trowing them away after couple/few time they use them?.  If there is something disposable they could use as a washcloths  that would probably be better and a lot more sanitary.

Those wet & scramble up crochet washcloths sitting on a side just breed bacteria...When that happens they start smelling very bad from all those bacteria...:(. It is the same wit wet sponges left on a side. Few years ago my daughter could not "figure it out" WHY her dish - washing sponge started smelling so bad..?.  I told her what she needs to do: "after washing anything rinse that sponge very well and squish  all that water out.  Each time put that sponge on a side of that sink to dry ( NOT allway down that sink where that water comes down from that faucet. Every couple days put that CLEAN sponge to microwave for 2 minutes".  From that time her sponges are smelling nice LOL.

Krys

19 hours ago, Sulasha said:

Are you still a accepting crochet washcloths? 

No we aren't doing washcloths any more. This was several years ago. Now Warmth for Warriors is just doing the mini Christmas stockings and hats. Come join us if you'd like to help with those items as we always need more.