Washcloths for Soldiers

Here is a link to a charity I never thought of before: Warmth for Warriors. For the summer they have a drive going for thousands of crocheted or knitted washcloths for soldiers overseas. I found out about this on Ravelry. The woman putting it together wants washcloths any size, any color, any pattern (barring something inappropriate, I'm sure). She also said, please — no attached tags. All should be made of 100% cotton. Other than that, the sky is the limit. Sounds fun, no?

Edited by HomekeepingGran

Love this idea!! I am going to chk it out now..

I like the simplicity of it. Washcloths are a beginner's project in both crochet and knit so even a novice can participate. I like that a lot. Maybe children can contribute? :)

This is an excellent reason to stitch a few cloths..,,not that I need a reason, just saying, lol. I have a few patterns that I have been meaning to work up........may have to squeeze a few of these in between afghans.:lol

Thanks for the link HomekeepingGran. I am on my third washcloth. I had hit a slump in my crocheting. Now crocheting washcloths seems to have taken me out of the slump. It's a perfect way to try new stitches and make something useful at the same time. Plus I have oodles and oodles of cotton yarn on hand that needs to be used up. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have joined this group and sent off 12 washcloths a few weeks ago. This last week I made 2 more facecloths and started crocheting some of the mini Christmas stockings they are asking for now. There is a request for 6 inch crocheted or knitted Christmas stockings which will be filled with small shampoos and soaps that were donated to the Warmth for Warriors by a hotel chain. The little socks are fun to crochet as they work up really quickly. Here is the link with more info on the stocking project if anyone is interested.

I like to work on them during my daily bus ride to and from work. I can nearly finish one washcloth each way, depending on complexity. I've even chosen making washcloths as my challenge in the Crochet Olympics.

I've got 8 made now. Planning on making a few more before I send them. Totally addicted to making these. They go so quickly! I can get several made while the babies nap each day. Loving it!

I joined the group too. Making the wash cloths has gotten me out of a blah slump (due no doubt in part to the extreme hot weather). I enjoy making them.

I also want to make some stockings to send.

does anyone have a crochet pattern for the 6" stockings?

Never mind! found one! :hook

Edited by Je-Rel Drood
answered my own question

I took them with me to dinner tonight at Chick-fil-A tonight!! A friend wants me to make some for him, so I told him I would make him 1 washcloth for every 1 skein of cotton yarn he buys me, therefore he buys the yarn needed for HIS CLOTH plus the yarn for one to donate. He happily agreed! His family has a long history of serving in the military, so this is a way for him to give back too :)

Over 25 made since June 21st and still making more! My goal us to make 100+ by the end of September and I also have nearly 20 entries to finish for the fair by mid-Sept, but I can't seem to stop making the washcloths and get back to working on my fair items, Haha!! I'm just having so much fun and I can't stop making them!

Here are the 12 washcloths I will be sending out.

Super super pretty! I need to figure out how to use my new camera and post some pics too. Yours are awesome and will for sure be a blessing! Seeing your pictures makes me want to fight this sleepy feeling and make more before bed...

I hate to be the one to tell you, but today on the Knitting Paradise Forum and member said she wrote to the "Warmth for Warriors" and they replied back that they did not need washcloths at this time. They are in need of wool caps. I was bummed because I crochet 8 in the last 2 days. I even bought a cone of 100% cotton to work from. So now I have to decide what wool to buy for caps. I'll be doing less caps because wool is more expensive than cotton, but I will be doing some. G.:)