Trouble understanding pattern instructions...pls. help

yarn kitty

Question

Hi everybody,

I'm attempting to make a baby blanket for the first time and I adore the pattern but the instructions leave a little to be desired (at least to me). The pattern works up in a shell motif and I don't have any problems working the rows. My problem is the beginning shell at the beginning of each row. My problem is that my ends aren't coming out looking the same. Some rows are longer than others and some are more pointed and others are more rounded. I can't decide if the Ch 3 is only used in the very first beginning shell or if it's used in each row. I'm going to attempt to upload the pattern so you can read the instructions and I've taken some pictures and make some notes so you can see what I mean. If someone can just explain to me EXACTLY how to do the beginning shell on each row, my problem will be solved. I've already started over once and I know I'll have to start all over again, because I can't see any way to salvage what I've got here. :( Hope this makes sense. If not, feel free to ask questions. Thanks for your help.

Nance

post-12817-135897760065_thumb.jpg

post-12817-135897760069_thumb.jpg

post-12817-135897760071_thumb.jpg

post-12817-135897760074_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

I would use a ch2 instead of a ch3 to make the beginning shell.

One thing that's normal for this type of shell pattern is for it to bubble out on the sides like it is. It has to do with the way the front and back side complete each other.

I think that the border should even it out just fine.

Thanks for your help. But I still have no idea how to start on row 3. Can you spell that out for me please? And I don't understand the border instructions at all b/c it's talking about working in rounds???? I think all I'm going to do is do a sc stitch all the way around a few times to make a border. Will that look too bad?

The first shell in each row is a beginning shell....

Working in rounds is working all around the edge instead of one row and turning for the next row like the body of the afghan....

Can't read the instructions you provided...If it is free please provide a link. If it isn't, check the copyright, and if allowed, please type in those lines that confuse you....

Nance, It is against copyright law (and forum policy) to post a pattern publicly in its entirety. You can however type out the portion of the pattern that you are having difficulty with and we can try to help you. If you have a link to the pattern online you can provide that as well, or if it's not a free pattern, tell us the source and if someone has the book/magazine/whatever we still may be able to provide assistance.

Nance is it a free pattern? If you can give the name and who wrote it or what company puts it out many of us have lots of books :rolleyes and may be able to find it and help you out

Hi Mary,

The pattern came from a small booklet by Leisure Arts called, "Classics for Baby...6 crochet designs by Alice Hyche". It's produced by The Creative Partners, LLC. The pattern I'm working on is the Sunshine Afghan featured on page 11. Specifically, what I don't understand is that it says in the general instructions for the beginning shell: "Ch 3, (dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in specified st or sp: beg shell made." But when I get to specific instructions beginning with row 3, it says "work beg shell in ch-1 sp of first shell; *shell in ch-1 sp of next shell; rep from * across; turn." I'm not sure here if I still need to do the ch 3 as part of my beginning shell or if the ch 3 was just for the very first shell to begin row 2. (the very beginning, beginning shell, if you know what I mean). Hope this makes sense.

Thanks so much for your help!

Nance

Specifically, what I don't understand is that it says in the general instructions for the

beginning shell: "Ch 3, (dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in specified st or sp: beg shell made."

But when I get to specific instructions beginning with row 3, it says "work beg shell in ch-1 sp of first shell; *shell in ch-1 sp of next shell; rep from * across; turn.

"I'm not sure here if I still need to do the ch 3 as part of my beginning shell or if the ch 3 was just for the very first shell to begin row 2. (the very beginning, beginning shell, if you know what I mean). Hope this makes sense.

The very first ch1 space in the row is in the middle of the first shell. This is where you'll attach your yarn.

You need to ch3 to 1) bring the hook up to height, and 2) it counts as the first stitch of the shell.

beginning shell - ch3 (pretends it's the first dc), dc, ch1, 2dc

then you'll work a regular shell in the ch-1 spaces across the row.

The very first ch1 space in the row is in the middle of the first shell. This is where you'll attach your yarn.

You need to ch3 to 1) bring the hook up to height, and 2) it counts as the first stitch of the shell.

beginning shell - ch3 (pretends it's the first dc), dc, ch1, 2dc

then you'll work a regular shell in the ch-1 spaces across the row.

So, is the ch3 the first dc in the dc, ch1, 2dc sequence or is it IN ADDITION to that sequence?

I'll get it sooner or later...lol. Thanks so much for all your help!

So, is the ch3 the first dc in the dc, ch1, 2dc sequence or is it IN ADDITION to that sequence?

It is in addition. A shell in this pattern is 2dc, ch1, 2dc. The beginning shell is ch3, 1 dc, ch1, 2dc, and the ch3= the first dc of the shell.

The ch3 is considered the first dc in the "beginning shell"

It is in addition. A shell in this pattern is 2dc, ch1, 2dc. The beginning shell is ch3, 1 dc, ch1, 2dc, and the ch3= the first dc of the shell.

The beginning shell is used as the beginning of each row

So sorry I couldn't get back here sooner (been making home made egg rolls, which is an all day project). But looks like you have gotten excellent advise without me.

Archived