May Charity CAL: 5/17 - 5/22

Welcome one and all to the May Charity CAL. This is a monthly event where those of us who work on things for charity get together and cheer each other on. All are welcome whether you can join us for part of one day or for all six. We crochet, knit, weave, and sew things for others in need in our communities. Things for pets in centers seeking new homes are also welcome. After all, abandoned and abused animals are in need of love, too. So whatever your charity or cause, come and join us for a good time.

Prayer shawls and preemie afghans are always on my list of items to work on and this month I should be able to devote a fair amount of time to them (unlike last month. :blush)

It's truly amazing what a small number of us can accomplish together in a short amount of time. Each of us does matter. We do make a difference in the lives of others in need.

Suggestions of some of the many items that can be made include:

Cat mats and toys

Warm hats, scarves, and mittens for the homeless for next winter

preemie afghans and hats

prayer shawls

HAP rectangles

baby blankets for those with nothing for their newborns

lapghans for those alone in nursing homes

helmet liners for soldiers stationed overseas in cold climates

chemo hats for cancer patients

hats of soft yarn for brain surgery patients

blankets/afghans for Project Linus

The list goes on, but this will give you an idea of places and things that would love to receive your hand crafted items.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since our last count I finished (4) 18" doll outfits for my donation project. I also received shoes from the wishing well from a wonderful FGM. I started on another dress last night. I am thinking with the stuff my Mom is sending me this could be a two doll year.

Since our last count I finished (4) 18" doll outfits for my donation project. I also received shoes from the wishing well from a wonderful FGM. I started on another dress last night. I am thinking with the stuff my Mom is sending me this could be a two doll year.

Way to go, Bailey!

I'll be there. I'm not sure what I'll be working on, hoping the colors for the special olympic scarves will be announced this week.

I'll be there. I'm not sure what I'll be working on, hoping the colors for the special olympic scarves will be announced this week.

I hope the colors are out soon also

besides that still plugging away with the hats for the homeless

Good morning and welcome to day 1 of this Charity CAL. The coffee is perking away, the tea pot is steaming with hot water for tea and the cocoa is simmering on the stove. :mug I've been to Dunkin' Donuts and have a wide assortment of raised, cake, and stuffed donuts to go with your beverage of choise today. Personally, I'm about to have a big mug of tea and a chocolate frosted Boston Creme filled donut to start my day. :mug Then I'll start working on the first side of the current prayer shawl, a Celtic Knot shawl done with RHSS in cornmeal.

Have a wonderful day! :hook

Oh, cake donuts and tea...I'm a goner! Thanks. I have had a reassignment of work schedule as another remote working employee has been let go and I've been asked to pick up her work temporarily. Completed 15 hours of transcription in last 24 hrs and am dragging my tushy. Just taking a break to see who is working this morning. I'll be back later after a couple hours of sleep.

Forgot to mention that all the cyber goodies are calorie free when consumed in the production of items for charity. :D Glad you're all along for the fun. :manyheart

Hi everyone. :) It looks like you're already crocheting away - I plan to work on another scarf this afternoon. A chocolate filled donut sounds really good about now! :D Or maybe two since they're calorie free!

Looks like everyone is having a productive day. I started working on a square during my lunch break and hope to get a couple finished tonight.

oooo doughnuts!!! I can never decide between the cherry-filled powdered or the chocolate covered custard filled.....

I will be working on squares this week for online angels.....I hope to stop by Hobby Lobby the next few days. I stopped by last Sunday but our local one is closed on Sundays for family and religion. Is this normal?? If it is I think it is very nice idea!

I hope to stop by Hobby Lobby the next few days. I stopped by last Sunday but our local one is closed on Sundays for family and religion. Is this normal?? If it is I think it is very nice idea!

It's normal for Hobby Lobby!

I got a late start but I finished up two squares last night. I noticed that smooth fox has the new 6 inch charity square up this morning. I really like the design, well most all of her designs. LOL!

Hi, I am joining in this month. Somehow last month I lost track of the time and only thought about it when it was too late to join in. At least I thought it was too late. I think it was on Sunday when I remembered so decided to sit it out. I will be making caps as usual. I have 2 going now - one a chemo cap (slouchy beanie style) and one winter cap. I found a pattern the other day for the winter cap but started doing it wrong. I frogged it and started following the pattern closely as it was written in the post but it still did not look like the picture. So I frogged it again. Now I am going by my design even though it will/does not look like the picture. I like the looks of mine so far. Maybe one day I will figure out the pattern.:shrug

I will have a chocolate-covered cream-filled doughnut and a big cup of coffee. No cream or sugar - just straight. Have fun everyone.

Archived