Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Hi all! Just fyi....Aurora has started a cal that begins today and it will end up being 12 12" squares! Look at the new listing of Cals and you'll see it! You have to go to her blog and send her an email...but hurry! It starts today! Woot!

Have a great day all!

kuddles

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just sent Aurora an e-mail so I can practice my 12 inchers...Sooo much going on here...This election is driving me crazy...I'll be glad when tomorrow (11/6) IS OVER...

A friend gave me a bagfull of pre-stamped/printed vest patterns for just about every season/event imaginable...Wants me to make them up...Yeah, you heard that right...Her sewing machine is packed up for her move...She wanted to borrow mine...No way...as it is one of those new fangled do everything modern contraptions that even I don't know how to thread it or make it work...Sap that I am I said I'd hand sew those vests...Thought there were only 2 but as it turns out there's about 10...SHe wants them before Christmas...I should have said OK...Christmas 2013 or 14 ??? To top it off they reek of cigarette smoke...I just about choked when I put them in my car...There's no way I can even stand to cut them out...I'm going to hang them on my clothesline and let Mother Nature take the stink out ouf them before I even start...I don't know how I smelled when I smoked, but let me tell you I only pray that I didn't subject my friends and family to that Horrendous Odor...So glad I quit in 1989...I haven't got the heart to tell her about her "stinkin stuff", but had to sound off somewhere...Glad I've got you guys and gals to BITCH to...

And now back to CROCHET...I'm still working on a baby blanket...almost finished but will have to border it with white as I've run out of the multi blue that the main portion is made of...Also, still working on my manly lapgan/throw and the knitted scarf for my Miami daughter...Have absolutely got to knuckle down and stay out of Michael's, Jo Ann's and off the Yarn Sites...My cup runneth over...Yes, I'm a Yarnaholic...I admit it...and I have so many patterns saved on my laptop, that I'm gonna have to get another or else a flash drive to store more on...

Hope everyone had a great weekend and that Sandy's aftermath will soon be over...Prayers to all in need...God Bless and big hugs (((HUGGS)))....ST

Poor estee, i have had that same problem with a crochet friend that smokes, seems everything has that nasty smell that comes with smoking. I too smoked, but haven't now for many years, and find I just can' t stomache that smell either.....In one thing she gave me, it was a tote, i had read to stuff the bag with newspaper with vinegar on it, close it up a couple days and wala..Worked better than the air freshner I tried, lol

I appreciate her as a friend, and woud never tell her I did that, but it is useable now, and smells nice now, the vinegar smell doesn't last once the bag is open, just a fresh clean smell remains....

I have washed skeins of yarn as well, in a knee high stocking, and air dried, and that works too.....for yarn. depending on the kind of yarn, lol Ok, hope your day gets better, and why in the world do you have this fancy machine and don't use it. lol (this sounds like the classic hubby gift..)

If i were there, I would sit you down with the booklet young lady, and learn you that machine, long time before I would sew it by hand!! lol BY HAND!! wow, you have got to be kidding me! good luck!

Hi gals! Haven't gotten the Cal email yet from Aurora but see a few more of us signed up.....

Smoking...one thing I never did and am so glad. I am almost allergic .....my reaction to anyone near me that has smoked is severe.....

I have two embroidery machines (janome) and was much more into it...sold iron on patches on etsy for while but had to give it up to make time for my DD. I'm trying to do a bit of it again.....as time permits (not much of that!).

kuddles

I got more puffies! They are beautiful and bright, just like the doctor ordered. lol. Thanks, Brenda! I love the way you tag them. And the card is great. I'll save it for my niece :)

Maria

You're welcome, glad you liked them.

Wow, so many pictures to enjoy! They all look great together! I have one to add, too; :mail I just got a *bee*you*tee*full* square in the mail today from Brenda! Doesn't it look gorgeous surrounded by the squares that Katie sent? :clap

Unfortunately I can't quite say it inspires me to start working on squares - because I start looking at the colors and thinking "Oooooo, prettyyyyyy...." and just sort of get lost for a while. :lol

Unfortunately I'm getting a cough again... the little guy has one and was just diagnosed with sinusitis and an ear infection Friday. :sick Didn't stop him from having a great birthday today, though, and then trick or treating tonight with friends! (Our town moved "Halloween" to Saturday since many people still didn't have power back on Wednesday.) He didn't get to be a zebra, though, since I couldn't find my zebra fleece. I found a leopard print fleece blanket instead, but then I ran out of time to make a hood or ears or anything, so we stuck a pirate hat on him and he was a pirate leopard. :D

Hey it looks better at your house than it did at mine. A pirate leopard, I hope you got a picture of that!

I just sent Aurora an e-mail so I can practice my 12 inchers...Sooo much going on here...This election is driving me crazy...I'll be glad when tomorrow (11/6) IS OVER...

A friend gave me a bagfull of pre-stamped/printed vest patterns for just about every season/event imaginable...Wants me to make them up...Yeah, you heard that right...Her sewing machine is packed up for her move...She wanted to borrow mine...No way...as it is one of those new fangled do everything modern contraptions that even I don't know how to thread it or make it work...Sap that I am I said I'd hand sew those vests...Thought there were only 2 but as it turns out there's about 10...SHe wants them before Christmas...I should have said OK...Christmas 2013 or 14 ??? To top it off they reek of cigarette smoke...I just about choked when I put them in my car...There's no way I can even stand to cut them out...I'm going to hang them on my clothesline and let Mother Nature take the stink out ouf them before I even start...I don't know how I smelled when I smoked, but let me tell you I only pray that I didn't subject my friends and family to that Horrendous Odor...So glad I quit in 1989...I haven't got the heart to tell her about her "stinkin stuff", but had to sound off somewhere...Glad I've got you guys and gals to BITCH to...

And now back to CROCHET...I'm still working on a baby blanket...almost finished but will have to border it with white as I've run out of the multi blue that the main portion is made of...Also, still working on my manly lapgan/throw and the knitted scarf for my Miami daughter...Have absolutely got to knuckle down and stay out of Michael's, Jo Ann's and off the Yarn Sites...My cup runneth over...Yes, I'm a Yarnaholic...I admit it...and I have so many patterns saved on my laptop, that I'm gonna have to get another or else a flash drive to store more on...

Hope everyone had a great weekend and that Sandy's aftermath will soon be over...Prayers to all in need...God Bless and big hugs (((HUGGS)))....ST

:hug:hug:hug over the vests. That is an awful lot to ask anyone to take on especially this time of year, and to want them done by Christmas. :eek I am horribly allergic to cigarette smoke. I have had to quit going to some friend's homes because of it. If I survived the smoke at the time I always felt like I needed to go home shower, wash my hair and clothes to get away from the smell.

I was tempted to join the CAL, but I have two swaps, patterns to test, my job, and other UFO's. I'll have to continue going at my own pace to send squares out. Any more pictures? Those are the highlight of my day. lol. On November 15, Paula (fellow 'villian) and I are going to start our own bag CAL. We each had a purse we've been meaning to make; so we decided to work on our bags starting then and working on them every Saturday. I definitely don't want to miss that. I need to keep practicing on my sewing machine so I can move up from bag linings.

Hope everyone is safe and warm. Prayers to those still suffering the aftereffects of Sandy. May the new storm turn course and allow you all some much-needed relief.

:hug

Maria

Hi everyone! we have a new member!! Her name is Christel, her screen name is crsheridan!! Welcome Christel!! she is colllecting 6 or12 inch squares, acrylic yarn, any colors,and i quote,

"I would like 6 or 12 inch yarn squares. Colors: any color is fine but prefer brown and aqua/teal for a project I have in mind."

Well, you heard her folks, please welcome Christel to our group!!:welcome

Welcome!!

I wish I could join her CAL, I love doing them .. but I have 12 other projects I have to finish before Christmas.

Been talking to my brother this evening. He has no power still, and they're rationing gas where he lives. He just told me that they're going to get a Nor'easterner on Wednesday. Just what they need ...

Welcome!

Kim, so sad how many are still without power!

Aurora started a ravelry group for her cal.....I finished the first square last nite.....I've not done one before so am having fun plus I get to use my stash!

Have a good day all!

kuddles

Because WW yarn is a pain to get over here, I've done mine in DK with a 4.5mm hook so mine'll be smaller but I intend on putting them together for a nice lapghan or something. :D.

Can't wait for #2.

Hi all, puffys away! three puffies containing square or squares went out this am, and one other puffy for the winner of a giveaway thingie went out, so Im good to go! Been to the store, the po, and dollar general, for the hec of it, now Im home, gonna eat my sandwich and drink a diet coke, hope you are all having a good day!! Oh, Im working on Christel's square, it's turning out nicely, few more rows to go!! Probably go out next week, ill let ya know christel!

welcome Christel

I'm still here,busy right now doing scarves for NY,on # 3

after those are mailed off I'll start working on this month's cotton square,I'm still working on some for Angelroselite

Hi! Checking in too......everyone must be busy! With work and DD, I sure am!

I'm learning Tunisian crochet....just starting out but have both of Kim's books and hooks. I enjoy learning new techniques to keep crochet fresh for me!

Also I found a charity to take my baby dresses and bags! I closed my etsy shop (after just a little time and no bites) so instead I felt some divine intervention to give to this charity that helps new mothers with nothing! I already gave one box and will continue to use the yarn and fabric on hand to make things for them! Best thing is a gal I work with, it is run by her aunt so she will take the items for me! She almost cried yesterday when I gave her the box of 3 bags (3 big enough to use as diaper bags) and about 20 dresses/sweaters! Made my heart sing!

So that's what I'm up to. Anyone else learning any new techniques, doing anything new? Well besides scroggy since we know what she will be doing next!

kuddles

hello!

got steaks on the barbie, and fries in the oven, so wont' stay long, but stopped in to see how everyone is doing! If you have hats or scarves lying around you made and don't know what to do with, AUntbubbles has a use for them,you can read about it HERE ,:crocheting for the victums of New York, and a better cause I can't think of! I have committed to make a few things, this week, and next, I think her deadline is Dec 15 so we have plenty of time. If I read the thread right, just winter items, not squares, as she won't have time to put those together, just lettin you all know, if you want something to work towards.l.l:clap

I haven't heard from an of the square puffy people yet on reciept of their puffies, but soon, i hope, lol :think

Now i see the storm that is hitting the east coast, wow, don't they have enough to worry about.....ooops there is the oven timer, catch you all on a bit later, have a great evening!:hug

Archived