Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Hi everyone!

Katy- glad the package got to you okay.

Brenda- you're making me hungry for corned beef. I will have to buy some tomorrow. We love "Darby O'Gill and the Little People".:)

I also remember dressing up for Easter with the patent leather shoes and a little purse. My mom would often sew my outfits and I remember one year in particular, where she created matching coats for me and my "Velvet" doll.

When my children were small, I also carried down the tradition of sewing outfits for them that would match. Once they were school age, though, they no longer wanted to match so I no longer made them outfits. Egg hunts were also lots of fun for my kids but often adults would try to snatch up eggs on the kids which I thought was sad. The kids are supposed be the ones grabbing them and not the adults.

Adults sometimes get too competitive.

My kids are always happy with chocolate rabbits and hubby loves anything with peanut butter. Me and my middle child love Russell Stover coconut/or Bon nests with eggs. Now I can no longer find them in any stores, anywhere in Ct. One year I ordered us a dozen directly from the website but sadly I have none for us this year and decided not to order them online. Oh well.....we shouldn't have that stuff anyway, right?!!-haha

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ha, i have a pic too, of Ester, standing therein fron of mom's overgrown fitzues, holding our basket, we both had mumps at that time, but mom letus go out for a little while, and we were wearing white cotton scarves tied around our heads and under our chins, we looked hideous, but we really wanted to go outside for a ibit, mumps or no mumps!!
Then there is one of us girls, my older sister's first time wearing nylons, as they called them back then, blue chiffon,or organza dress, and her easter bonnet, carrying a little whit puse whih a gold chain for a strap, and wearing those white patten leathers, and me and little sis, usually dressed alike,  but me in the peach, and her in the blue, and the ever present bonnet, and shoes!! we were all ready for church i guess, and me and lil sis, chose to walk the few blocks instead of going in the old station wagon, guess we wanted to show off our new easter clothes, lol    

well ladies, im done cleaning for the day, got out some flat underbed boxes from under my bed. sorted and got rid of a lot of unused things, like a pair of drapes, never use again, some books i think I will donate, a few candlesl in jars, i will use now tat i know there are there, and stuff like that!!  and vacced under there really well, luckilly, the bed is so high, the vac just laid down almost flat and got er done, otherwise, I was going to have to call handy man to help, lol

well, one more bin to tuck away in the closet, and the other two stowed, and pushed back under the bed, much more room now, eliminated lets see, 3 boxes, and two ujnder the bed  bins, tht one is the latch is b rtoken, so will go out on trash day, and the other, I think ill  put some heavier clothing in, and shove it back under there, there's room now!!  

So im worn out for now, but will catch mysecond wind after a tea or  a  diet coke break!! have a great AFTERNOON SQUARES!!!

Hi everyone!

Katy- glad the package got to you okay.

Brenda- you're making me hungry for corned beef. I will have to buy some tomorrow. We love "Darby O'Gill and the Little People". :)

I also remember dressing up for Easter with the patent leather shoes and a little purse. My mom would often sew my outfits and I remember one year in particular, where she created matching coats for me and my "Velvet" doll.

When my children were small, I also carried down the tradition of sewing outfits for them that would match. Once they were school age, though, they no longer wanted to match so I no longer made them outfits. Egg hunts were also lots of fun for my kids but often adults would try to snatch up eggs on the kids which I thought was sad. The kids are supposed be the ones grabbing them and not the adults.

Adults sometimes get too competitive.

My kids are always happy with chocolate rabbits and hubby loves anything with peanut butter. Me and my middle child love Russell Stover coconut/or Bon nests with eggs. Now I can no longer find them in any stores, anywhere in Ct. One year I ordered us a dozen directly from the website but sadly I have none for us this year and decided not to order them online. Oh well.....we shouldn't have that stuff anyway, right?!!-haha

i do remembe too one sweet daughter would eat, made with chineese noodles, and rice crispies, into little twig looking nests, filled p  with a few jelly beans, lol

Yes, and what a clever idea the ball jar, into pin cushion, i had never seen one like that, but such a cute idea, i have it on my work table now pins all tucked in it, and filled up with some, uh cheddar goldfish crackers, haha ha.thankyou again, and the squares , might have to frame them lol they are so pretty!

Back in my sewing days, i made daughter and me matching sweats, and jogging pants, and sweatshirts, and we dressed alike , it tickled her to do so, lol not all the time, but i would pick her up at kindergarten,wearing my little mermaid sweatshirt,and all the girls nway, would oooh and ahhhh, lol it was worth feeling dumb in a mermaid sweat shirt, but, she was worth it!!  in later grades, i was a reading tutor for her class and came in twice a week to work with the kids independantly, and HAD to wear matching shirts, and or sweats then too, lol......she too got older, and too sophisticated for that too soon, i always thought, lol

Hello everyone.

My daughter and I went fabric shopping again yesterday and she found fabric she likes for the baby's room so I am going to be busy as soon as I get it all washed. Then I need to start working on a dedication gown for the baby, my daughter wants the dress to be made from lace.

I have one more day with students tomorrow, it's an early release day so my students will leave at 11:45 a.m. Friday is a teacher planning day and then it's spring break next week  :clap .  Guess that's about it for me, have a great evening.

well, i decided to keep the books i found, they were and are still, as i glance through them, thought provoking, and very interesting..

I will give you question each day,here on this post from the book simply called, "If..."    by Evelyn McFarlane, and James saywell,. now remember you don't have to go out and buy it or anything, I will simply ask an If  question From the book, and that is it you read it, and answer if you like and you may choose to answer, and or share it with us here, , up to you... Ill start now,here is the If question for today,

IF...

march 16,2016 I hope you chose to answer, and if not, you are at least thinking bout it, lol..

Question of the day,

If you could rid from every persons life one emotion, what might it be.. List of emotions here

that was easy for me, as i have been asked that one time before,

I said hate, or hatred then, and Ill stand by that now as well!! I believe everything bad either is brought on by, or  supported by, or initiated  by or promotes  hate, that is why i would eliminate it... hate really is the root of all evil... IMOpinion, take your time, give it some thought,and get to back to us,if you choose to..     

There is no rigt or wrong answer, only your answer.

go!!

Ok your turn...

If

#1crochetfan when my niece was really little we gave her a basket and hid eggs and put her through training for the hunts. Sadly I never got to see her at the hunts because I was always at work.

I guess my favorite Easter candy has always been jelly beans. I have a couple of jelly bean dispensers---you push the chick down and it poops out a jelly bean. I don't know why but they make me happy.

Local Eaaster eggs hunts we participated inwith daughter, they let the young kids go first for like i dunno 10 minutes, and then the next little bit older kids, same with that, then the older kids, and you know, they had a ball, and never ran out of eggs, for all the kids, so i like the way that worked. wished more places would do it by age groups...

Well it is getting too usual around here at how busy everything is for me. I had the most pleasantest PRIZE come to me yesterday! I squealed with delight and it is just now that I am able to post and give a very big thank you!!

YARNSCRAPPER sent me a BIG puffie with these beautiful squares that are so much prettier than the picture with a vintage Crochet Word Omnibook (1985 )....post-26273-0-63271200-1458184338_thumb.jpg

But when I carefully looked on the inside of this book, my heart was beating faster because THIS is what was inside!!! I have been hunting and hunting for this and thought I wouldn't get this pattern again!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you Teresa!!! Words cannot express how happy I am and thank you so much for your generosity!!!! post-26273-0-41015300-1458184541_thumb.jpg

Well I am really tired tonight and bed is calling my name... will try to catch up tomorrow! I was able to get some more yarn and downloaded a couple of patterns for some squares I want to try so I can get caught up.....

Hugs to all!!!!

Quick check in since I'm on the tablet. Tomorrow I'll hopefully have a real post!

Katie, I have to agree... hate seems to be the start of all the problems in the world and if it were up to me, it would be gone!

Brenda, I love those little jelly bean poopers! One of the ladies my mom worked with in our elementary school cafeteria crocheted ducks for my sister and I that you would squeeze and out popped a jelly bean. I don't love jelly beans, but I'd love to make one of those ducks. As far as easter candy goes, I'd rather have the chocolate Cadbury eggs. Not the cream ones though, the egg goo makes me gag! Lol

Michelle, I'm so glad you got your magazine and your rooster pattern! I can't wait to see it all made up!

Tonight I finally finished Peanut's minion afghan! Whew! I want to do a panel eventually with his name across the top, but that won't happen before the party Saturday afternoon. I can't believe my sweet Peanut will be 2!

Tomorrow is a quick trip to Walmart to get a birthday card for my dad (who will get into town tomorrow afternoon) and gift cards for him and my grandmother and Goodwill to take a bunch of things from the Great Craft Room Clean Out of 2016, then back home to make sure everything is ready for my dad. Whew!

I'll post the minion afghan tomorrow night so you all can see. I hope everyone is having a good week so far!

katy that is a really thought provoking question and I like your answer.

Hershey038 that is so awesome of #1crochetfan to send you the rooster pattern you have been searching for along with those beautiful squares.

Well its nice day here for the St Patrick's day parade just a little cool. Usually it's cold raining, or sleeting. We had such warm weather earlier this week and then a hard freeze for the end of the week.

Ohhh Hersey!! I would like to take credit for sending you squares but those pictured are not from me. I put your square in the mail yesterday!!  The squares pictured are beautiful !!!

yarn_monkey; isn't it crazy how time flies!!! Peanut already 2 ????  :cake  Looking forward to seeing the Minion ghan.

I want some jelly beans...my favorite!! :rabbit

The IF question...I personally would get rid of sadness. Why does anyone need to be sad??  As for hatred, my thought is this. Hatred initiates change.  Sometimes change is needed. (My two cents worth.)

Have a great day everyone!

If right now is t in my thoughts.

Woke up to a disaster this morning.

My laundry room was flooded with water all over the floor,backed up into the sink and tub as well.

So away I went to cleaning and cleaning some more. Picked up all the towels and washed them and must be a plug in the pipes for when the washer started to spin guess what? Yep it started flooded the sink and on the floor what a wonderful sight. So more cleaning.

I store my bags of dog food out there and so daughter checked the first bag and it was fine but second bag got wet. She picked it for we were going to put it in its container and out the bottom went and dog food 40 lbs everywhere. Thank goodness I had already cleaned all the water up. So to cleaning that. After I got most of it up I let my fur babie finish it off. They cleaned it quite well. Next the washer went to the rinse cycle and I stayed by the sink and panned out the water so it wouldn't spill over and daughter empty the buckets. 7 buckets !!!! So while I was cleaning I dusted and swept the remainder of the floor and mopped it all up. My back is killing me now. So I still have towels to fold but no washing until the clog is fixed. I have been trying for hours and I can't get it unstuck.

Hello.

Today was a fairly easy day since it was an early release day for students. Tomorrow should be quiet too. I stopped at Joann's for pattern trace, broadcloth and thread, of couse I left with 2 additional pieces of fabric and t-shirts to make pajamas for the grandkids. So tonight I am washing my new fabrics so I can start sewing tomorrow afternoon. 

Owlvamp, I hope everything is fixed soon.

I should do some cleaning but I think I will crochet instead.

good answers, im pleased those that read it, got to thinkin bout stuff anyway, i guess, that's why we have all the emotions we do, sadness was a good answser to, but there even in that, is something we take away from it, soooo,l guess a reason we got um all, even though we think we could do without a few, lol

Question 2,

If you were to recieve one tangiible, affordable gift from everyone on your birthday, what would it be???

easy peasy one might think, huh.....

No katy these are hard. Yarn would be a tempting answer wouldn't it but guess my answer to this one would be love which can be demonstrated in so many ways from a hug to taking time to call or sending a birthday card.

Owlvamp so sorry for your bad day. I have had similiar incidents and oh what a mess. Hope you got the clog fixed and are getting to rest now.

Did any of you do anything for St. Patrick's day? I wore my green scrunchy, watched the KC parade on tv, had the corned beef and cabbage on the table when dh got home, and this evening we watched Darby O Gill.

oh poor sandra, what a mess huh, happened once to me, but had two drains in the basement, one in the restroom,shower, ) and one in the laundry room, so between the two, and not knowing it was coming up, pretty much flooded the basement, that was a mess too, ended up being the main, and rotor rooter had to come to fix it, tree roots,  was in the pipe between the house, and the street where it dumped into the bigger city pipe, sheesh...carpet and everything was ruined, it was a family room, and we watched tv down there a lot, but had to clean up all that, and get new carpet,a nd new couch, etc..  sigh.....

hope your problem gets fixed quickly, maybe it isu just somthing blocking  the washers drainage hose???  like  aa sock or nylon, i sure hope it gets fixed soon!! Bet the doggies didn't mind helping clean up the dog food though,lol.

Okay the Minion afghan is posted here! Whew! I'm so glad that's done! And yet somehow, I'm still watching the movie and Peanut isn't even here!  :lol He was over earlier to see his grandpa and was playing on my phone, which of course meant selfies. When you're on the camera app, it shows a little preview of the gallery in the corner of the screen and it's always the last picture you took. Well, that happened to be one of the Minion blocks. Kid lost his mind. "NINION!!! NINION!!!" and pushing the button to see the whole picture.  :reyes Oops. Fortunately he's 2 and has already forgotten all about it!! Lol!

Dad made it safely this afternoon, we ran errands to Walmart and took a bunch of stuff to Goodwill, dinner was in the crockpot, now we're just relaxing and I'm trying to decide what now! My Sophie is in the works, but I really don't know if I feel like getting that whole thing out or I might just add some to my scrap c2c. Decisions decisions! 

Well I'm off to work on something before bed. I'll be back this weekend some time!  :)

ha bgs, you are riight, yarn was the first thing I thought of, lol 

we didn't have anything planned for today, in act till you mentioned it, i didn't think about it all day, lol... I did wear green today, earrings, lol, and a shirt but never put it together with st. paddys day on pupose at all..

was breezy today, which made it a colder day even though the sun was out most of the day..I did do a few things outside, but nothing major, worked too hard yesterday, back was telling me that all night, lol so took it easy today, never had corn beef, but ilike cooked cabbge, and we've never been drinkers, so that part of the holiday held no interest for us,and no parade here in omaha, soooo another day i guess....

the good news is, i have access and purpose now in my dresser, i gained two of the big drawers, and one small side drawer for stuff, as i  packed away some of the warmer winter wear, and actully have room for stuff i wear in  the warmer weather, lol

Heard fom daughter, she is hving a good time, today ws a seminar day, so she was in school all day lol, last one   of those, and the rest of the time is theirs to spend as they please, lol and home again sunday eveinng!!

Carol do you always wash fabric before using, i don't think i ever did that, i didn't know!! idid back in the day though, remember to press seems open, lol that was a big thing in Home Ec....lol Come to think of it, i might have washed the fabric i used in home ec projects, but I m sure I didn't when making daughter and i sweats and stuff when she was little, guess i forgot one or two of my home ec teachers cadinal rule, sorry ms. whtever your name was . lol been a few years.....

well, all for now, see you tomorrow, whats the verdict, did you all want to hear more if questions, or not interested, lemme know, i just thought it might be fun, if not that's ok too!!  they sure are thought provoking, cant' asnwer um fast, gotta think you know, lol least i do..

Nope not fixed yet. Very frustrated and exhausted for all the extra cleaning I had to do. Hope the floor isn't ruined. I did get everything cleaned up plus some..

Just had pizza for supper. Fast and easy!

Thanks for the ideas katy will tell hubby and have him check everything before calling anyone in.

Yes, after I cleaned up most of the dog food I let them have it. They cleaned up really good.

Morning all! It seems I have a few hours to myself this morning as DDOfinally fell asleep a little bit ago, and now DUHis sleeping too. She kept him up pretty much all night again having a tantrum cuz she didn't want to go to sleep...again...so while there sleeping, I'm doing laundry and I think I may play with my yarn if I can turn the light on without waking her up. Mind you, she likes sleeping in the living room on a mattress on the floor. She has a bed and refuses to sleep in it.

Owlvamp: hope it gets fixed soon!

One tangabile, affordable gift from everyone on your birthday? Hhhmmmmm......aside from yarn products, I would have to say a family dinner and the kids actually eat and not complain or throw their food!

Well, I hope you all have a great day! I'm off to play :hug s all!

LOL, my home ec teachers were Mrs. Jacobsma and Mrs. Hickman!!!  I loved them both. The few times that sew something I always wash the fabric first.

owlvamp  :no  what a mess. so sorry.

If question: my first thought was yarn or a starbucks gift card. (Yes, I'm addicted to Starbucks (and yarn)). :lol

Have a great day everyone!!

Archived