Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all. Hope you all are doing well.

My Dad passed peacefully Wednesday morning. The only thing keeping me from being a total mess is knowing that he is no longer in pain, and knowing that if I completely break down that I'm putting my baby at risk. I'm just thankful that my mom drove me to Indiana to see him Monday.

So sorry for your loss. 

Yesterday was an "off" day for me. My mom texted me shortly before the boys went to school saying that my Connor's little friend, Remedy, house had burned and they couldn't find her & 2 of her cousins. The house was a complete loss, and poor Remedy and her 2 cousins didn't make it. Remedy was pronounced dead at the scene, the other 2 died at the hospital. Each of the 2 cousins were a part of a set of twins. One a year old & the other just a baby. 12 total people lived in this house, 2 sisters, their fiances and their combined 8 children. 

This is such a tragedy, I'm going to be making some afghans for each of them. I'm heartbroken. They were good people, they were just poor. They have NOTHING now. Sorry, had to get my sadness out somewhere. I can't do it here. I don't know how to tell Connor. He and Remedy played together when we were "home" at my families house over Thanksgiving. They went to preschool together and have remained friends since then, even 5 hours away. They write notes and mail them, call each other, etc. I'm just heartbroken for all of them. 

My Dad passed peacefully Wednesday morning. The only thing keeping me from being a total mess is knowing that he is no longer in pain, and knowing that if I completely break down that I'm putting my baby at risk. I'm just thankful that my mom drove me to Indiana to see him Monday.

So sorry for your loss. 

Yesterday was an "off" day for me. My mom texted me shortly before the boys went to school saying that my Connor's little friend, Remedy, house had burned and they couldn't find her & 2 of her cousins. The house was a complete loss, and poor Remedy and her 2 cousins didn't make it. Remedy was pronounced dead at the scene, the other 2 died at the hospital. Each of the 2 cousins were a part of a set of twins. One a year old & the other just a baby. 12 total people lived in this house, 2 sisters, their fiances and their combined 8 children. 

This is such a tragedy, I'm going to be making some afghans for each of them. I'm heartbroken. They were good people, they were just poor. They have NOTHING now. Sorry, had to get my sadness out somewhere. I can't do it here. I don't know how to tell Connor. He and Remedy played together when we were "home" at my families house over Thanksgiving. They went to preschool together and have remained friends since then, even 5 hours away. They write notes and mail them, call each other, etc. I'm just heartbroken for all of them. 

So Sorry for both of your losses. Something we are never ready for and very hard to recover from.  My heart and prayers are with you both

I am so sorry!

So sorry for your loss. 

I'm so sorry for their loss! I can't even imagine. Let us know what they need and if I have anything I'll send it along.

Otherwise just saying hi. Dad is here,I'm exhausted and off to bed. I'll check in for real soon.

Hi everyone!!

Wow!! How do we get so busy this time of year?? Very late now and it has been extremely busy day.. I know I overdid a tad because I am hurting right now but wanted to check in with everyone real quick before going to bed.

NIKKI -- I love your afghan!!! All those beautiful squares!!!

Hi  CSHORT, KATYALLEN, MAGGI, TRIBBLE, HOLLY, YARNSCRAPPER, SNOWBEAR,

LACEY -- I am soooo sorry about your dad.. :hug :hug my heart and my prayers are with you on this... You are right!! It is alright to shed some tears and be sad but you have to take care of yourself for the little one..

OWLVAMP -- sorry about your friend with cancer... :hug  :hug  seems like the holidays has more sorrows than cheer sometimes.... I hope your craft fair went well!

JESSICA -- I love the hat you made and the little model is adorable, even if she was a grouch! :lol and I am sorry for your child's loss of their friend.. such a tragedy.. 

KATIEBUG -- I sure hope you are feeling better with that abcessed tooth!

Well it is late, and all my kids and the little grandsons were here all day while we made candy and watched the game. I just wanted to say hey, but with so much heartache and tough times going on for all, I'm remembering you all in my prayers tonight... :ghug

ImmaFreek and Jessicali - I am so sorry for both of your losses.

Our family lost a wonderful woman this week, too. My Aunt Vicky has been battling cancer and passed away Thursday morning. Even though we knew it was coming, it's still so sad and hard to accept.

Our family lost a wonderful woman this week, too. My Aunt Vicky has been battling cancer and passed away Thursday morning. Even though we knew it was coming, it's still so sad and hard to accept.

I am sorry for your loss.

Oh my gosh, so many losses, to al of you,, i am so sorry for you all, we are all mourning with you, as your losses, become ours as well, in our hearts, and in our thoughts and prayers.....

we are having unusual dec temps, and great sunny days, so been doing some things, handyman has been cutting up and stacking wood for our outside wood burner, the yard is pretty well in order, and believe it or not, the tukeys are back, lol     

daugter and son in law coming for either Christmas Eve, or Christmas, or both, not sure of plans yet,.. Christmas eve we usually make and eat fahitas, and nachos, and dips, and doritas and a couple of deserts,  and then eat and open presents, and watch a movie, so thst is always fun, it is bout the only time we all get to have homemade mexican food together, so we enjoy the Felize Navidad feeling of that night! Christmas is much more formal, but still calming and cozy with just family!    

i just checked out Dec birthdays, to check to see if I had gotten them all, and i show four, if you have a dec birthday, and your name and preferences as to size color etc, please contac me and Ill get you on..

THe names listed, and confirmed for Dec,   Viking ( since her birtthday really was in nov, and she was mia, we moved her  katiebug r to Dec)

Ok  Katiebug  Vikingrunnergirl, rosies4, Dragnlady5, tribble, hoowieann, and

yarn scrapper, although she is not rigtht now collecting, how bout we all send her a card!!

I worked a bit ahead last month, so only have one or so to make and add to the mail out puffy pile, lol    

oh my, we spoiled ourselves tonight, for a desert, we made root beer floats, umm good, ill pay for that later, no doubt, lol

but we have not had them for seems a couple years at least, why not splurge!!

well gonna go and compare the list I just made, against the puffys i have ready, to be sure all is accounted for, and try to get those off next week if the po isn't in a line, lol    

everyone be well, be safe, and keep your chins up, and try to enjoy this time of year, to all, a goo evening.. Oh, Immafreak,andbgs, and sopo, are  you alltok, i haven' tseen a post from you probably for a bit, or else i just missed it somehow...

:ghug  :heart

so sotty jessicaliand  for the family as well.....

So sorry for your loss. 

I am so sorry for all your losses. I hope you all are doing well and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Craft fair was so so. But I enjoyed doing it and seeing what everyone else brought.

Daughter and I are going to do a craft sale/yard sale Saturday. So gearing up for that.

Hi all. I'm ok I guess for the most part. Baby is doing fine, and my other three are doing pretty good as well. Dr put me on "couch rest" Friday -darn bladder infection causing slight issues- but as long as I'm fine by Tuesday then I can go back to work Wednesday. But there will be plenty of breaks for me and very light duty.

Hi lacey, goo deal, not about the bladder infection though, but about all going rather well, considering the  circumstances, and all.]

Glad things went well saqndra, i used to do them too, craft fairs, used to like to see all the stuff, and meet all the people that came by, it was sorta fun minus the break down and set up chores, lol but i had my daughter with to help me too, so they always went well, and included for her and I, a chinese lunch, as long as one of us walked outside across the street to get um and bring um back, lol daugher's favorite part, but she earned it, she is a worker, and couldn't have done it without her along, so I was glad to treat her to lunch, or anything else she wanted , lol...

oh man,finally go that mirror switched, i tell  ya, handy man had the easy part, only had to put it up, my part, was dusting and cleaning, and re arraranging things, as there was a shelf underneath i had to , re purpose and find a home for,lol

The i dropped, behind the darn dresser, that holds the big tv, my little ring box, and all the rings went down behind this massive dresser, that no one can ever move, had to bring it in trhough a set of double windows, anyway, so I started to fuss and handyman got down, and reached what he could feel, and i think he got um all, plus a couple other things that had gone that way long ago, lol i suppose, if ever we have that dresser out a bit, I will find whatever is missing, but to me, looks like he did pretty well with getting them all...Course, then the glass lampshade on the antique lamp i have, (one of a pair) that sit on either sie of this massive tv, got knocked and broke, but it had been broken before, so just re broke along the glue line i fixed it with last time, so that is do able

i will fix that again later........gosh,what an ordeal, i knew it would be, had to have handyman re adjust whre he rehung the mirror twice, but for this day, this week, iti s good where it is,and serves the purpose i wanted it to, sooooooooooo lol

dust in there was thick it seemed so took care of that as well, including ceiling fan, and all other hard surfaces,soI am done in the bedroom, all but vacuuming and changing the bed, but hd to take a flippin break, lol

did a little on Jan.birthday girls, checked dec, and I am prepared to mail, should be this week, we'll see what da y

I will feel like waiting in line, and I am pretty ready for the bruch next week, just have to get some sugarless candy to make one more little thing, lol Christmas dinner and treats for Christmas eve are shopped for, paid for, and unloaded, lol

Ifeel like i have accomplished quite a bit, so i will go and glue that darn glass lamp shade, the lamps are like genie lamps, but sorta  shaped like a big key and have glass shades, and just take a small nightligh bulb, so I use them a lot at night, when I big light is just too much,you know, sooooo Ill go and do that, and finish te vacuuing,and ill talk to you all a bit later, have a good one all....

d

Checking in fast.

Have a craft fair to set up for tomorrow so trying to get everything ready for it.

So this is a drive by fast and will try to catch Sunday most likely.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Glad it went well! I've never done one but always wanted to. I think I am too much of a procrastinator to do anything like that. LOL...

:hug

So sorry for your loss. 

Terrible losses. I am so sorry.

Finally Little Tribble and I got our tree and wreath put up last night! He was so excited. I had gotten all of the things up from the basement but hadn't planned on putting the tree up yet but Little Tribble bugged me so much that I gave in and just got it done. Now I am glad its up! :clap

I've almost got my mothers present finished for Christmas. I decided to make her some slippers. They have turned out so cute... I LOVE them. Might have to make myself a pair. Mr Tribbles Christmas present is done (as is his birthday, which is the 23rd)  and I am working on one last item for Little Tribble.

Hope everyone had a grand Monday!

I'm so sorry for your loss!  :hug

So sorry for your loss. 

That is horrifying, I am so sorry! <3

Okay so funny story before getting into Nutcracker chaos, lol, KATY: So my 4 year old saw your avatar with the granny squares and said, "Hey look, that one is Sadness, that one is Anger, that one is Joy and that one is Disgust but there's no Fear one." Not sure if you've seen the movie "Inside Out" but I thought that was cute. LOL

ANYHOO

Our first Nutcracker experience is over and holy crap, I am still tired. lol I worked backstage for all 6 shows, my 7 year old was a Little Angel in 3 of them. We're exhausted but it was a lot of fun, looking forward to next year's although I'm more than happy to wait another 365 days. lol This year was the company's 33rd year of performing the Nutcracker and it was fun to be a part of it! Here are a couple of pics!

Audrey in her costume: 

post-50331-0-28800800-1449580785_thumb.jpg

A shot with Clara:

post-50331-0-80256200-1449580815_thumb.jpg

And this is a picture with the Sugar Plum Fairy, also one of her teachers, lol: 

post-50331-0-35183300-1449580848_thumb.jpg

Okay so funny story before getting into Nutcracker chaos, lol, KATY: So my 4 year old saw your avatar with the granny squares and said, "Hey look, that one is Sadness, that one is Anger, that one is Joy and that one is Disgust but there's no Fear one." Not sure if you've seen the movie "Inside Out" but I thought that was cute. LOL

ANYHOO

Our first Nutcracker experience is over and holy crap, I am still tired. lol I worked backstage for all 6 shows, my 7 year old was a Little Angel in 3 of them. We're exhausted but it was a lot of fun, looking forward to next year's although I'm more than happy to wait another 365 days. lol This year was the company's 33rd year of performing the Nutcracker and it was fun to be a part of it! Here are a couple of pics!

Audrey in her costume: 

attachicon.gifangel2015.jpg

A shot with Clara:

attachicon.gifclara2015.jpg

And this is a picture with the Sugar Plum Fairy, also one of her teachers, lol: 

attachicon.gifsugarplum2015.jpg

How cute about the granny square comment!! Inside Out is a cute movie!!

Glad everything went ok with the play!

Hey everyone!! :waving

Wow...so many losses...just seems this time of year when all is supposed to be cheer and gladness, there is more sorrows... HOLLY and everyone else... :ghug . You're in my thoughts and prayers..

KATYALLEN... I think that sounds really neat the way ya'll celebrate Christmas Eve with the Mexican and then the formal on Christmas Day! And you also reminded me of ALL the cleaning I NEED to do around here! which is my goal to start working on that kind of stuff after the first of they year...

OWLVAMP.... sorry your craft fair was just "so-so", but :cheer  on you doing another one/yard sale!! And I'm sure people all around you are beginning to realize your gift!!

LACEY.... I am so glad the baby is fine, but girl, you take care of yourself!! I know it's hard working and with other little kiddos,, but there is only one YOU, and you are loved and needed so much more than you realize...

TRIBBLE...Glad you have your tree up.. I am sure it is lovely! Last night I had a meeting to go to and my 15 yr old DD along with help of GS got a start on mine.. They put the tree up and lights and half the ornaments...only problem, she only used the clear lights and Christmas AIN"T Christmas around here without colored lights!! :lol SOOOO....But it is a help to have the tree halfway done..need to work on that today but taking a break from office work and got a different kind of meeting tonight, so probably be tomorrow before I can work on Christmas cheer!

DRAGNLADY.... I feel ya!! I used to hate those kinds of meetings when I worked public job also!! :reyes

MAGGI... your little is ADORABLE!! You can really tell she has a gift for theatre because of the way she saw the squares! LOL!!

Well, hello to any that I missed and hope your day and week is going along great!!

Happy Crocheting!!

I have been lurking but not posting,... Hugs to everyone. This time of year can be challenging for some of us.

I have over committed myself to "things" this week.  Will I ever learn? I doubt it.  :lol

Our office party is Friday night and I have been making cutout cookies for the kids. I had plenty of them made...until about two hours ago. I was told more kids RSVPed even though it's a week past the deadline!!!!   And I won't let any kid go without :no . My heart won't let me  heehee.

Soooooo, tonight baking, tomorrow frosting/decorating, Thursday is making veggie trays, Friday is party and I'm one of the emcees, and catering, and, and, and...

Then Saturday is a big Christmas party at my house with close friends who are traveling into town.  And I'm cooking :P !!!  Saturday morning is prepping, afternoon partying, evening is Christmas lights, Sunday is collapse!!! :loco

But, I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!! (for real)

JustAddGlitter, that is a cute story about the movie, I've seen it and liked it. Your little angel is so cute.

Brenda, thank you for the card and beautiful ornament, you are so sweet.

My sewing guild meeting last night was a lot fun and food. Work today was ok. I was planning to go to Walmart after work to do big grocery shopping but it was raining so I stopped at a different store for milk and a frozen pizza for dinner instead, hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow. Guess that's about it for me. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Archived