Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Ok so I forgot that my daughters first dance was yesterday so my boss let me of fhte hook since it wasnt supposed to be my first real day of work yesterday. It took me an hour or more just to curl her hair, lol. but she was so happy and looked so pretty. We really dont celebrate valentines day like most people, since our anniversary is the 16th, so taday he is working on his car and we had donuts for breakfast :)

post-39682-0-16645500-1423930124_thumb.jpg

post-39682-0-14360700-1423930142_thumb.jpg

post-39682-0-45012900-1423930152_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sharon that is too funny! Of all the squares patterns around, we picked the same one! I probably would've thought something really weird was happening if we had done the same order on colors. Clearly great minds think alike!  :yes  I really hope you all are careful with the temperatures and weather going on!  :hug

Even though we didn't pick the same order on colors, they were so close that it was still pretty incredible. 

I hope your ankle feels better soon.  I've done things like that too although less now that I've been doing Classical Stretch every day for over a year.   

Tribble, I can understand how that would happen.  Glad you got the squares. 

I hope everyone is doing well today.  It's been a rough ride but hopefully by next week it will start to warm up and we will see Spring on the horizon.  

well, eye candy all ovah da place! lol

Pretty ghans angel, love the tote sandra, and the squares, all gorgeous!!! Everyone having a nice valentines day, i presume!!

Bgs, I checked, lol places at our zoo that are open, like the inside things, (Jungle, desert dome, aquarium,, penquin place, and some other attractions) are open, as they are inside, and it is open, from 10 to 4, just so very much walking especially in the cold, lol I have not seen the desert dome yet, and I think they are doing something new with the bears, and the cat environments, seems to change every year I am there!! I can only walk so much! lol they do in the summer have trams, to ride, that take you UP to the elephant displays, and such, and take you back, which is helpful going to visit the elephants, as it is on a giant hill, that kills your ham strings, like no other, lol\ or used to be anyways, lol Haven'tbeen there since I dunno, a few 5 to 6 years maybe..

As  a rule, I don't like to see the animals confined in cement or cages, but our zoo is pretty good about the natural environments, and I don't like the apes at all, they rush the glass window, Im afraid it will break one day!!

Used up some more smaller balls on some little projects, squares and startings of squares, lol, but came to check out the march b dy girls, and their prefs,so I wrote that down, lol and will work on that maybe tomorrow...can't get going on anything else much today, working the balls down, wore me out, lol.!!

We're going to have pork tenderloin, breaded, and cooked, he will have his on buns, i try to stay away from too mu ch bread, so will have mine on the side, with a vegie or something. He makes them really taste good so I don't mind not having a big mouth of bun in every bite, lol

Oh i may have a side of brown rice, who knows. lol

All for now, I guess, gotta find something to get busy on, I started the curio shelf, got them all done, but one, so maybe I will finish up dusting and cleaning and arranging that today!   5  ft  long deep glass shelves, 5 of them , that hold all my clocks......ack, not a fun job by any means!

Hello all!  Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Hubby and I don't do anything special.  His birthday is the 19th, but we don't really do much for birthday's either.  I used to make a cake and a special meal, but he doesn't even want that any more. His sister will be visiting for a few days, that will make it special.  We only see her once a year or so.  I didn't think she'd make it this year with all the snow, but she's planning on it.  She's coming in between storms, lol.

It's snowing again now, has been since afternoon and was -15 degrees when I got up this morning.  I've had it.  Where is summer?

Nikki, the shawl you made your cousin (?) is beautiful!  Thank you, also for putting me on your CSS list.  I appreciate the thought.  Oh my, love the pic of Peanut!  Isn't it just so precious when they give you those snuggles...  Oh, the cake sounds wonderful!  I've never been good at making frosting from scratch.  Give me a tub of pre-made stuff anyday, lol.  And what did I miss from Moogly's?  Guess I'd better go check out the site, but I don't need another project, lol.

Katie, glad that you are feeling better.  Good luck with finding the perfect yarn/pattern for the baby ghan for your friend.  I know what ever you make will be beautiful.  You always make such lovely blankets.

Owlvamp, love your Mickey themed items!  They're great!

cshort, your valentine's day sounds perfect-spent with grands, etc... 

Linda, did I read that you are feeling better?  I hope so (((hugs)))

acreativemrs, so glad the squares made it to there new home.  Happy Birthday to you....

Maria, ahhh, glad that you rec'd your squares also.  Happy Birthday wishes to you too.

Imma, your daughter is very pretty.  Hope she had a nice time at the dance.

Well that's about all I have for now.  Take care, stay warm/cool, and hug someone you love.  :hug

Those Mickey items are great (and I'm not even a Micky fan)! I love the tote bag the best. Are you just coming up with these out of your head?? That bag is awesome!

We don't do much for Valentine's Day either; I made pizza for dinner (with dough leftover from the pizza we had last night), and I did make a special dessert. I've been planning it all week, ever since a meeting I phoned into at work where I ate Nutella out of the jar with a spoon for like ten minutes at the end of the meeting. I made a makeshift mousse with Nutella and canned (real) whipped cream, and then layered it with pieces of shortbread cookie and frozen raspberries. I made them up last night so they could rest in the fridge overnight and the raspberries unfroze and just dripped a little on the cookies and it came out really good. Everybody enjoyed them; I was very happy.

I need to go turn the sound off on my phone. My brothers are being dopey about V-Day, and my mom is engaging them (don't feed the trolls, Mom!!) and the text noise just keeps. going. OFF.  :thair

We watched Yellow Submarine again today and LV just came out of the bath singing "All Together Now": "One two three, may I bring myself to you? Four five six seven eight nine teeeen I wuv you! Boo- boo- boom, chop the tree, boo - boo - boo, sail da ship, seven eight nine TEN I wuv you!"  :manyheart

I couldn't decide just on one so i made him three different ones. He'll be 1 all year so why not. I seen this done before but just made up my own stuff. Some of the Mickey Stuff is from my head and others I searched the internet...

I love the ties on his onsies,

The Mickey Wreath daughter paid someone to make. I will post the ones I did myself. as soon as daughter sends me the pictures..

Next to the onsies is amickey magnet my daughter made. The mickey heads will also be place on pens. I'll show a picture later.

post-73065-0-50420000-1423965659_thumb.jpg

post-73065-0-09779200-1423965675_thumb.jpg

post-73065-0-48844600-1423965693_thumb.jpg

hi ann, and viking, good to hear from you both, ann you are getting this latest storm, aren't you, stay in and stay warm lady!! and viking, lil viking says the cutest things!!!

and Lacey, That lil lady in dance attire is so pretty, and so is her dress!!!  how did it go??

wow sandra, how cute!! that is one mickey fied baby boy!!

Same here... I had to have surgery on my right foot last September because I broke my foot mowing the grass... Granted there was already a stress fracture there but It shouldnt have broken completely on walking up a bank! Hope your ankle is doing ok!

That's one reason I don't cut the grass! The other is that I'm horribly allergic to grass pollen. That job belongs to DH and fortunately for him we have so many trees that the ground doesn't get much sun and when we get rain everything just washes into the street and the ground doesn't dry enough for it to grow. If we owned the house, we'd cut down some of the trees, but we rent so we don't worry about it. My ankle is better than yesterday, but it's one of those things where it hurts a little more as the day goes on. It'll be too cold tomorrow to go anywhere so I'll stay on the couch with it propped up. 

Goodness, it took me a loooong time to catch up!  I saw a lot of eye candy and read a lot about snow.  We are begging for cold and rain in sunny SoCal.  It has been getting up to the high 80's and low to mid 90's.  Yuck!

I looooove CSS!  I use it a lot more than any other yarn.  I think it is one of those things that you love or hate.  They carry a great range of colors too.  

Congratulations!!  My new job begins on March 2nd.  I am getting nervous now that I am two weeks closer to starting.  How did it go on your first day?

Your whole Mickey theme is just adorable!  My hats off to you 

It's my birthday month!  I have received four puffies so far.  I love them!  I think I posted the ones I received from Katie, but just in case I didn't, I'm posting them.  Thank you so much!!!!

From Katie:

attachicon.gifFrom Katy, 01-28-15.jpg

From Nikki (yarn_monkey):

attachicon.gifFrom Nikki, yarn-monkey, 02-2015.jpg

From Brenda (bgs):

attachicon.gifFrom bgs, 02-2015.jpg

From Ann (grannyannie):

attachicon.gifFrom Ann, grannyannie, 02-2015.jpg

And now for some recently finished stuff.  I am having memory problems, it seems, because I can't remember if I posted about this before either.  I was hired to finish two lapghans.  My LYS asked me if I would be interested.  The person that started them passed away over 10 years ago, and she started them quite a while before she passed.  Both are Tunisian crochet, one of them entrelac and the other a Tunisian simple stitch (afghan stitch) all the way through.  I don't know if I would do it again with old projects because the yarn was old, dirty, had lots of pet hair (which I'm allergic to), and I think was even sometimes in the vicinity of peeing pets.  At long last I finished both and washed them in the extra heavy cycle.  They turned out so great!  I added a border to the afghan stitch one and blocked it so that the sides don't curl.  I only photographed the afghan stitch lapghan before weaving in the ends.  Anyway, here they are 

I'll put you on my CSS list too!  :yes  I'm glad your squares made it to you safely and now they're warm in their new home. The afghans you finished are beautiful!!  :manyheart

Ok so I forgot that my daughters first dance was yesterday so my boss let me of fhte hook since it wasnt supposed to be my first real day of work yesterday. It took me an hour or more just to curl her hair, lol. but she was so happy and looked so pretty. We really dont celebrate valentines day like most people, since our anniversary is the 16th, so taday he is working on his car and we had donuts for breakfast 

Oh my goodness, she looks absolutely beautiful and soo happy!!  :manyheart

Hello all!  Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Hubby and I don't do anything special.  His birthday is the 19th, but we don't really do much for birthday's either.  I used to make a cake and a special meal, but he doesn't even want that any more. His sister will be visiting for a few days, that will make it special.  We only see her once a year or so.  I didn't think she'd make it this year with all the snow, but she's planning on it.  She's coming in between storms, lol.

It's snowing again now, has been since afternoon and was -15 degrees when I got up this morning.  I've had it.  Where is summer?

Nikki, the shawl you made your cousin (?) is beautiful!  Thank you, also for putting me on your CSS list.  I appreciate the thought.  Oh my, love the pic of Peanut!  Isn't it just so precious when they give you those snuggles...  Oh, the cake sounds wonderful!  I've never been good at making frosting from scratch.  Give me a tub of pre-made stuff anyday, lol.  And what did I miss from Moogly's?  Guess I'd better go check out the site, but I don't need another project, lol.

Katie, glad that you are feeling better.  Good luck with finding the perfect yarn/pattern for the baby ghan for your friend.  I know what ever you make will be beautiful.  You always make such lovely blankets.

Owlvamp, love your Mickey themed items!  They're great!

cshort, your valentine's day sounds perfect-spent with grands, etc... 

Linda, did I read that you are feeling better?  I hope so (((hugs)))

acreativemrs, so glad the squares made it to there new home.  Happy Birthday to you....

Maria, ahhh, glad that you rec'd your squares also.  Happy Birthday wishes to you too.

Imma, your daughter is very pretty.  Hope she had a nice time at the dance.

Well that's about all I have for now.  Take care, stay warm/cool, and hug someone you love.  

Haven't gotten up the gumption to go upstairs after the yarn yet but maybe tomorrow.  :)  I love it with Peanut snuggles with me. He's getting older and just wants to be moving and I know that's only going to get more frequent from here on so I'll take it and enjoy it when I can get it! In addition to the yearly afghan square CAL, Moogly decided to do a couple mini CALs throughout the year. The first mini CAL of the year is a scarf. That 65" of puff stitch was about to kill me! I'm so glad that part of it is over! I was beginning to wish I'd decided to do the shorter version but I think it'll look really nice when it's all done. I'm almost finished with the last part now, just have a couple more inches of ribbed stitches and then go round the whole thing in sc. My frosting was easy, thank goodness or I would've just gone with the tub. I just beat butter and peanut butter into next week and then added in a bunch of powdered sugar. It's the easy stuff I can handle!  :yes

Those Mickey items are great (and I'm not even a Micky fan)! I love the tote bag the best. Are you just coming up with these out of your head?? That bag is awesome!

We don't do much for Valentine's Day either; I made pizza for dinner (with dough leftover from the pizza we had last night), and I did make a special dessert. I've been planning it all week, ever since a meeting I phoned into at work where I ate Nutella out of the jar with a spoon for like ten minutes at the end of the meeting. I made a makeshift mousse with Nutella and canned (real) whipped cream, and then layered it with pieces of shortbread cookie and frozen raspberries. I made them up last night so they could rest in the fridge overnight and the raspberries unfroze and just dripped a little on the cookies and it came out really good. Everybody enjoyed them; I was very happy.

I need to go turn the sound off on my phone. My brothers are being dopey about V-Day, and my mom is engaging them (don't feed the trolls, Mom!!) and the text noise just keeps. going. OFF.  

We watched Yellow Submarine again today and LV just came out of the bath singing "All Together Now": "One two three, may I bring myself to you? Four five six seven eight nine teeeen I wuv you! Boo- boo- boom, chop the tree, boo - boo - boo, sail da ship, seven eight nine TEN I wuv you!"  

Oh that dessert sounds sooooo good!!! I love Nutella! DH decided he didn't like (he'd never had it) and I made some little Nutella mousse tarts for Christmas dinner and he ate them up. I never did tell him! Lol Then the other night I was having regular Nutella on graham crackers for dessert and asked if he wanted one. He said no, he didn't like Nutella. We went round about whether he did or not and finally he said he's never had it because he knows he won't like it. I said yes you have and yes you do!  :lol He finally tried it on graham crackers and decided it wasn't so bad after all! I love the stories about Little Viking and The Yellow Submarine! Gets my heart every time!!  :heart

I couldn't decide just on one so i made him three different ones. He'll be 1 all year so why not. I seen this done before but just made up my own stuff. Some of the Mickey Stuff is from my head and others I searched the internet...

I love the ties on his onsies,

The Mickey Wreath daughter paid someone to make. I will post the ones I did myself. as soon as daughter sends me the pictures..

Next to the onsies is amickey magnet my daughter made. The mickey heads will also be place on pens. I'll show a picture later.

Oh those onesies are just adorable!! We're trying to figure out Peanut's outfit for his 1st birthday and I think we'll wind up with several for Sister to pick from too! 

I got up this morning and wrapped up DH's DVD and made the mini caramel cinnamon rolls for him. Man, they were good! All ooey gooey and a little crunchy around the edges.  :tup He surprised me with a big vase of roses, lilies and babys breath and a charm for my Pandora bracelet. And chocolate. He knows me well! Lol! We went out for a little bit this afternoon and took advantage of the President's Day sales. DH got a couple golf shirts and I found a frame for my mom's cross stitch. Made dinner, watched a movie and now huddled in and avoiding the cold, the wind and the snow! I'm ready for Spring!!!  :yes We've got a wind chill advisory in effect until tomorrow morning and it is awful cold! I'm not going anywhere tomorrow because I hate the cold so I'll stay here and do some things around the house. 

I hope everyone had a good day and enjoys the rest of the weekend!  :hug

angel love the lapghans you finished.  Glad your squares made it.  It was kind of nice seeing all that your received in one the one post.

Ann its good to see your posts

katy our zoo was 100 years old in 2009.  Exhibits have been redone  many times just through the 50+ years I can remember going to it.  I remember the animals in not so nice cages.  Now many of them have so much space that you may or may not see them when you walk by.  The elephants, chimps, gorillas, zebras, giraffes, kangaroos etc have huge areas to roam in.  In fact there is nothing between you and the kangaroos. The penguins and polar bears also have a huge exhibit and they supposedly have just as roomy and nice quarters when they aren't out.. I can't walk the whole zoo in one day so we do parts at a time and anymore take the tram to Africa.  In the winter if we have a warm spell they let the animals out in their exhibits.  The otters, polar bears, penguins, seals, and tropic building are close to the front of the zoo so its not a bad walk and I like to sit and watch the animals for a while. I believe our current zoo director was the assistant director at the Omaha zoo for many years before he came here.  .  

Hello all... Everyone has gotten beautiful squares and finished beautiful projects!!! First dances are special and toddler singing is adorable!

I am really tired of the cold and so ready for spring and summer! I wilt in the heat but at least after the sun goes down the night is enjoyable... This cold is terrible and I wouldn't leave the house if I didn't have to! In the words of Little Tribble "HATE IT"!!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful day!

hello all,how's it going where you are, east coast, snowed in again??? or enjoying mild sunshiney days somewhere, uh, not here though, it's chilly, but we are in for some nicer days soon, so no complaints.

nothing much else to say, hope everyone in that storms way, and the one following, keep safe, stay warm, and NOT lose electricity, takecare all!

angel love the lapghans you finished.  Glad your squares made it.  It was kind of nice seeing all that your received in one the one post.

Ann its good to see your posts

katy our zoo was 100 years old in 2009.  Exhibits have been redone  many times just through the 50+ years I can remember going to it.  I remember the animals in not so nice cages.  Now many of them have so much space that you may or may not see them when you walk by.  The elephants, chimps, gorillas, zebras, giraffes, kangaroos etc have huge areas to roam in.  In fact there is nothing between you and the kangaroos. The penguins and polar bears also have a huge exhibit and they supposedly have just as roomy and nice quarters when they aren't out.. I can't walk the whole zoo in one day so we do parts at a time and anymore take the tram to Africa.  In the winter if we have a warm spell they let the animals out in their exhibits.  The otters, polar bears, penguins, seals, and tropic building are close to the front of the zoo so its not a bad walk and I like to sit and watch the animals for a while. I believe our current zoo director was the assistant director at the Omaha zoo for many years before he came here.  .  

All this zoo talk makes me want to go to the zoo! We have one locally and I've never even been. We do have a new litter of cheetah cubs though that I really want to see! 

hello all,how's it going where you are, east coast, snowed in again??? or enjoying mild sunshiney days somewhere, uh, not here though, it's chilly, but we are in for some nicer days soon, so no complaints.

nothing much else to say, hope everyone in that storms way, and the one following, keep safe, stay warm, and NOT lose electricity, takecare all!

Not snowed in yet, but will be in about 24 hours!  :ohdear DH and I are supposed to have our belated Valentine's Day dinner tomorrow, reservations at 6, but it's supposed to start snowing around 4:30 or 5. I'm just hoping it's nothing bad till we can get there and eat and get back. It's one of those involved meals so it could be about an hour and a half or even 2 till we're done and headed home. They say it's not supposed to get really bad until later in the evening, but we'll just have to see. They never know until it's happening anyway. One station is saying 4-8", another is saying 6-10" and another is saying 8-12"... Who knows??  :( Just this morning the Weather Channel was saying only a dusting. A dusting I could live with. 4 inches and I'll survive. If we get a foot, I'll be ready to pack my bags and run away! 

I finished my Moogly scarf today but I still need to find buttons and throw it through the wash. I made BBQ in the crockpot, made cole slaw to go with it (well I bought the bags of shredded cabbage, made the dressing for it), and made pasta salad all for dinner, and a batch of peanut butter cookies, then I got into my mom's stuff that's all piled into our front room and made a decent sized dent into it. I had DH make about 4 trips into the attic! I sort and he carries, that's how we work! It looks like I'll have plenty of time to make progress on it with all this nasty weather coming. 

I also started working on my March squares, so I'm going to get back to it and hopefully get the first one done before bed. I hope everybody is staying warm!!  :wcold

Good Morning.

I'm enjoying another quiet morning, everyone is still asleep. Not much going on just enjoying the weekend with family. I will be heading home this afternoon since I have to be at work tomorrow morning. But I'll be back at my daughter's in a couple of weeks to celebrate my grandson's birthday. I think Katie asked about weather, it's been a beautiful low to mid 70s during the day and 40s to 50s at night, it is currently 47 at 6:45am and the sun has been shining the whole weekend. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

this morning is grey and 18 degrees

we are waiting for a weather system that will bring rain,ice,snow,the area will shut down,they are predicting 3-4 inches of snow

up north that's nothing,here we just don't get snow that often,so have no snow removal equipment,the ice they say will be 1/2 inch

I am completely stuck on this Mickey Mouse sweater. Has anyone crochet sweaters with hoods? I contacted the lady I bought the pattern from and no answer yet and I want to have this done by tomorrow. I am so diappointed. I just dont know where to start this hood at. I am so beyond frustrated...

I think we're all getting snowed in! Lol! The only hood I've ever done was on a scarf... And you just did two rectangles up off the edge of the scarf and then sewed them together up the back and across the top. I'm not sure if that really helps you though.  :think

Archived