katyallen8090

Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

cshort and katy, I do hope you both feel better soon!! <3

owlvamp, I'm thinking about you and the boys. Hopefully, their mom will have a change of heart. <3

reiann, hopefully, the MRI will shed some light on what's going on with your mom. Keeping you both in my thoughts. <3

dragnlady, Congrats on your new job!!! YAY!!!! It sounds like it is a huge blessing for you! <3

Hi jessicali, bgs, and anyone else I'm forgetting!! <3

Not much new to talk about...was able to leave work at 4:30. YAY!! I got out early!! (Can you hear the sarcasm in my voice?!?) Tomorrow, I am not staying late, no matter what! I have a concert to go to!!!! My hubby, daughter, two of her friends, and I are driving down to Charlotte (it's about 2 hours away, I think) to see my current favorite band, The Head And The Heart. They're kind of folksy rock with a three part harmony. Oh, and one of the lead singers also plays the violin. Soooo fantastic. If you want to check them out, my favorite song of theirs is Winter Song. So excited to get my fangirl on!! LOL!!! My summer is already starting to get jammed. It starts on Saturday, with a week at the beach, then we're home for *three* days, then it's on to Michigan for 10 days (I think...it could be more) to visit family (UGH!!), from Michigan it's on to Kentucky to visit my husband's grandmother and other family of his for three days or so, and THEN we get to come home. Whew!! The upside? It's all car traveling, so plenty of crocheting time, and my step-grandma, Peggy, is a crocheter, so I'll get to pick out a Grandma Peggy afghan (I do every year) AND go on a yarn shopping trip with her! YAY!!! The down side? It's all car travel...the last time I traveled I ended up in the hospital with an abscess to be removed...remember Thanksgiving? Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll stay healthy on this trip. So, if I don't post a lot, that's where I'll be. After that, I'm just staying home and relaxing for the rest of the summer!! Alright, Squares...time for some tea, crocheting, and then bed. I want to be so well rested for tomorrow night!! <3

Edited by JilliePop

wow jilliipop, sounds like you are hoppin, and off to a fun start!!

We will keep in mind you are vacationing for the next coupla weeks, so will see you when we see you, but you have a good time, and stay healthy!!

well, im off , hope you all have a great evening, and a great tomorrow......

by the time Jillie gets off vacation she will have puffys waiiting for her lol

Morning everyone. say a prayer for me. My first day at my new job. Yeah!!!!!  I work till 1 and sure i will need a nap before church lol. Hey best part i will be off in time for church every wednesday and no more working Sundays  :woo  :clap  :yay  :c9   Also it wont interupt Zumba classes

• Like 4

Good Morning,

Thought I would pop in quick before I head out to run errands. Mu head is still a little stuffy but feeling better, not great yet but I'm getting there :lol

I will be going to the post office to mail jessicali's square and I need to go to walmart to stock up on all the things my grandkids like. I also need to get cards and gifts for my mother's birthday, father's day and son-in-laws birthday, all of which take place between now and next Wed.

Katie, I hope your ham string heals quickly.

Drangnlady, congratulations on the job and I know your first day is going great.

Jilliepop, you are one busy lady. Did you get the squares I mailed last week?

Reiann, I'm glad the squares arrived safely and you're welcome.

Jessicali, I hope the rain stops soon if it hasn't already. We've been having our usual south Florida summer afternoon rains everyday this week.

bgs, hello  :waving

owlvamp, prayers for you and your situation :hug

I hope I didn't miss anyone, I'll be back later. Have great day everyone.

• Like 1

Hi everybody!!  

Sooo freaking excited!!!  It's almost time to leave for the concert!!!  :clap Well, we leave in 2 1/2 hours, so maybe it's not that close. :lol Good luck on with your new job, dragnlady!!

cshort, I didn't get the squares yet.  Maybe they are waiting for me in my mailbox!!  I'll check when I get home.  Thanks so much for thinking about me!!!

To everybody else, be well and have an epic Thursday!!  Talk to you guys tomorrow!! :manyheart  :manyheart:hug  

• Like 1

Hello Everyone....I have recieved some BEAUTIFUL squares..My little ones love to take them and play with them...Last saturday my foot up to my knee went through a board on our back porch...I have scrapes on either side of my leg and some nasty bruising...The more I do, the more swollen it gets...So I do a little bit,rest, do a bit more,rest...Sometimes tho after a rest I don't want to get back up...lol...Tomorrow is the last day of school for my public schooler's...My Jojo didn't graduate early, so now next year she needs 1 1/2 credits to graduate...I'm hoping to get an economical car because I'll have to make 2 trips to get the girls...Jojo should get out at lunch and my 15 year old gets out at regular time...As it stands I pay 50.00 per week in fuel to pick them up...My husband takes them to school...So 2 trips per day will make it 100.00 per week...It'll sort itself out I'm sure...My garden is having a hard time growing...We have 8 dogs that like to run through...I've lost a few plants...I told my husband, next year I would like a temporary fence put up...That way my plants have a fighting chance....My fairy garden is blooming...The carnations are what's blooming and 4 out of 6 gladiolas made it up...

Pineknott- your flowers sound wonderful...I love lady slippers...Someday I hope to have alot of plants/flowers surrounding the house...Right now we're renting, so not going to do a whole lot..But I have plenty of containers with flowers and trees in them..lol...

Hope everyone has a WONDERFUL day.....

Edited by lil_mama06
  • Like 1

Oh poor carol, still feeling a bit ichish, get well will ya!! lol

by the time Jillie gets off vacation she will have puffys waiiting for her lol

Morning everyone. say a prayer for me. My first day at my new job. Yeah!!!!!  I work till 1 and sure i will need a nap before church lol. Hey best part i will be off in time for church every wednesday and no more working Sundays  :woo  :clap  :yay  :c9   Also it wont interupt Zumba classes

Of course it all will go well, you will have a great first day, i just know it!

Hello Everyone....I have recieved some BEAUTIFUL squares..My little ones love to take them and play with them...Last saturday my foot up to my knee went through a board on our back porch...I have scrapes on either side of my leg and some nasty bruising...The more I do, the more swollen it gets...So I do a little bit,rest, do a bit more,rest...Sometimes tho after a rest I don't want to get back up...lol...Tomorrow is the last day of school for my public schooler's...My Jojo didn't graduate early, so now next year she needs 1 1/2 credits to graduate...I'm hoping to get an economical car because I'll have to make 2 trips to get the girls...Jojo should get out at lunch and my 15 year old gets out at regular time...As it stands I pay 50.00 per week in fuel to pick them up...My husband takes them to school...So 2 trips per day will make it 100.00 per week...It'll sort itself out I'm sure...My garden is having a hard time growing...We have 8 dogs that like to run through...I've lost a few plants...I told my husband, next year I would like a temporary fence put up...That way my plants have a fighting chance....My fairy garden is blooming...The carnations are what's blooming and 4 out of 6 gladiolas made it up...

Pineknott- your flowers sound wonderful...I love lady slippers...Someday I hope to have alot of plants/flowers surrounding the house...Right now we're renting, so not going to do a whole lot..But I have plenty of containers with flowers and trees in them..lol...

Hope everyone has a WONDERFUL day.....

Hey you, LIL Mama!!!   long time no see, lol good to have you back, not good about your fall lil lady, you do have to be more careful, and take care of it so you can get back in the game, lol

someone asked me once, if i had a vegetable garden, I said, oh no, my garden is  a FLOWER garden, I love flowers too!!

oh, forgot to add, i Have another tissue cover up for giveaway, at this post, so come on in and post if you are interested, thanks squarzees!!  The remaining two, have been in use in my craft room, (blue and yelllow) andI have a yellow one too, that I alternate with the blue and yellow, depending on my mood, lol       have at it, purple passion, is it's name!!!!!!!

Edited by katyallen8090

JilliePop I left a puffy for you at the PO this morning, estimated delivery date is Sat.

chort sounds like you have a busy week with family events.  I always breathe a sigh of relief when my flurry is over.  It starts with Mother's day, dad's bd May 23, (throw mine in there June 3) sister's June 12, Father's day and then some years graduations and weddings.   

dragn, wishing a great first day, I am sure you will do great.

lil_mama glad you stopped by, I am glad you weren't hurt any worse and that the swelling and bruises don't last long.  

Katy , I can't remember if I ever found a position that didn't hurt when I pulled my ham string.I think it hurt for so long and I just had to block it out.  In fact it just dawned on me that it really doesn't hurt anymore.  I have flowers scattered all around the place.  They really need to be dug up and reset. I lost my bluebells, lily of the valley, bleeding heart, columbines, and ferns 3 years ago when Jim let the neighbor take out a tree that had died with a backhoe.  It was a spur of the moment thing and I just didn't think about them until it was too late.  I don't think we will get a garden in this year but I have things growing in some rased beds, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, and have harvested the lettuce.  

Good Evening my fellow squares :)

got some house cleaning done today and Im fixing to make dinner. Chicken Tacos. Yum.

See ya all later :waving

• Like 1

Hi All!!!!!  I sure do miss you guys!  I'm starting to feel a bit better so I have my fingers crossed that by the weekend I'll be up to spending some time on the boards.  You guys have been so busy it will take me forever to catch up, lol!

Katie, did I read that you have a boo boo?  Get better girl!  You have gardening and stuff to do, lol.  I always get so tired just reading about your busy day, lol.

Julie, have fun at the concert!!!

dragnlady, congrats on the new job!!!!

owlvamp, prayers for you....

Prayers for all that need them.  Thinking of you all and sending big hugs.  I'll try to be back soon, hopefully before the weekend!  Woot!

• Like 2

Sent out jillipop's squares, my new skeins arrived, made a granny square from the Apple, completed a row on my Afghan before bed. I do need HELP though: my granny squares keep winding up uneven on one side, but I feel like I follow the video tutorial well. I can't figure out where I'm getting mixed up. :(

Reiann the one square I seen that you posted it looked like you skipped a corner would have to see pics to know what u are doing wrong

• Like 1

Hidy ho!  Another fly by!  Hope you all have a fantastic day!  It's cloudy and is supposed to stay overcast for a few days, but hey, at least it's not snowing, lol!  Hugs all around to those that need/want them.  I'll be back soon!

Good Morning!

I'm having another lazy day and still have a stuffy head. But I thought I would share some pics while I'm sitting around doing nothing, well I am crocheting so I guess I'm doing something. Anyways, here are pics of a couple of recent sewing projects. I'm also going to start a thread for a shawl I finished last night, I'll add the link.

This is a purse I made for me.

post-4459-0-30930700-1402580805_thumb.jpg

A dress for my granddaughter.

post-4459-0-86779800-1402580990_thumb.jpg

Here is the link for the shawl.

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/151599-lavish-lace-shawl/

Hope everyone has a great day.

Edited by cshort
  • Like 3

post-71930-0-55750500-1402581455_thumb.jpg

Wow! Finished a granny square that is even all the way around! I finished the last round by myself bc my browser froze for some reason but I understood the pattern (and corners!!) easily! I should've used two chains instead of three between each segment to make it less loose all the way around but I'm still very proud of it. 

• Like 2

That is the Lemon gumdrop skein (red heart) going to make one in blueberry now...

that is such pretty yarn, and your square is really pretty, you are right about the using one ch, instead of two, in my opinion anyway, that is what I do too. Sometimes, I don't use any ch's between um, when i want a tighter square, but that is just me, some would advise against that, lol...You are doing a great job, by the way, and would love too , to see pics of your ghan you are working on!!

carol, that purse is unbelievable!! I totally can't believe you made it girl!! Fabulous, and anyone, would think it was a designer brand, well in fact, it is, a Carol Bag lol very very nicel.l.l.

Bgs, sorry about the flowers lost, our neighbor took a tree out as well, but I was glad to see that go, as parts of it seemed to hang over my roof, and drop all these darn tiny little leaves, plugging up my gutters!! Then, the tree cutters, entered my front yard, said our neighbor said to  take down some branches, from my flowering tree and I said, it doesn't need it, but thanks, stopped um just in time, there was nothing that needed trimming, I don't know what our neighbor was thinking, trying to be nice, but handydan keeps the trees in great shape for us....So luckily, didn't get any perfectly healthy branches off, imagine that, without even asking, good thing I was home, lol  Turns out it was the other neighor, but both  have moved since, so not a problem in the future either, he he.l

Getting readfy to post out the winner of the tissue cover, it  went to a very nice person KittyloverDeb, and I hope she has many years of use from it!!

Yeah, i was reading as well, this little ham string thing, maybe might last for a very long time, sigh.......live with it kaite, man up, lol    actually, am feeling a little less pain, so that is good, taking some muscle builder pills, and some relaxers, so building them up, to relax them, lol        

I don't do pain pills, much, least not anything stronger than tylenol or ibprofen, I know too many people that get addicted to prescription drugs, and I don't wanna be one of them if i can get by, i won't take them..

So Ill buck up, and hope soon, it eases a bit...Once I get walking, Im fine, it's the getting up and down part!! lol

what else, not much else right now, getting ready to go out, so Ill see you all later, have a great day!!!!! Oh, and I have some impatiens, some marigolds, some begonias, and some petunias, all flowering as we speak, and will last till the first frost! I love splashes of color!!

Edited by katyallen8090

Hi All!!!!! I sure do miss you guys! I'm starting to feel a bit better so I have my fingers crossed that by the weekend I'll be up to spending some time on the boards. You guys have been so busy it will take me forever to catch up, lol!

Katie, did I read that you have a boo boo? Get better girl! You have gardening and stuff to do, lol. I always get so tired just reading about your busy day, lol.

Julie, have fun at the concert!!!

dragnlady, congrats on the new job!!!!

owlvamp, prayers for you....

Prayers for all that need them. Thinking of you all and sending big hugs. I'll try to be back soon, hopefully before the weekend! Woot!

:waving

Good Morning! I'm having another lazy day and still have a stuffy head. But I thought I would share some pics while I'm sitting around doing nothing, well I am crocheting so I guess I'm doing something. Anyways, here are pics of a couple of recent sewing projects. I'm also going to start a thread for a shawl I finished last night, I'll add the link. This is a purse I made for me. attachicon.gifpurse.JPG A dress for my granddaughter. attachicon.gifpink flowery dress.JPG Here is the link for the shawl. http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/151599-lavish-lace-shawl/ Hope everyone has a great day.

You just amaze me with all your sewing projects. You do such a nice job. I love your purse. Your grandkids are lucky to have such a talented grandma to make such cute things for them.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140612_095430_burst_01_kindlephoto-39168459.jpg

Wow! Finished a granny square that is even all the way around! I finished the last round by myself bc my browser froze for some reason but I understood the pattern (and corners!!) easily! I should've used two chains instead of three between each segment to make it less loose all the way around but I'm still very proud of it.

I generally use one chain but sometimes no chain depending on how it looks. I often pull squares apart and modify the pattern a bit to make them come out square. Sometimes there is enough difference in the thickness of the yarn that the pattern works well for one but not for the other.

that is such pretty yarn, and your square is really pretty, you are right about the using one ch, instead of two, in my opinion anyway, that is what I do too. Sometimes, I don't use any ch's between um, when i want a tighter square, but that is just me, some would advise against that, lol...You are doing a great job, by the way, and would love too , to see pics of your ghan you are working on!!

carol, that purse is unbelievable!! I totally can't believe you made it girl!! Fabulous, and anyone, would think it was a designer brand, well in fact, it is, a Carol Bag lol very very nicel.l.l.

Bgs, sorry about the flowers lost, our neighbor took a tree out as well, but I was glad to see that go, as parts of it seemed to hang over my roof, and drop all these darn tiny little leaves, plugging up my gutters!! Then, the tree cutters, entered my front yard, said our neighbor said to take down some branches, from my flowering tree and I said, it doesn't need it, but thanks, stopped um just in time, there was nothing that needed trimming, I don't know what our neighbor was thinking, trying to be nice, but handydan keeps the trees in great shape for us....So luckily, didn't get any perfectly healthy branches off, imagine that, without even asking, good thing I was home, lol Turns out it was the other neighor, but both have moved since, so not a problem in the future either, he he.l

Getting readfy to post out the winner of the tissue cover, it went to a very nice person KittyloverDeb, and I hope she has many years of use from it!!

Yeah, i was reading as well, this little ham string thing, maybe might last for a very long time, sigh.......live with it kaite, man up, lol actually, am feeling a little less pain, so that is good, taking some muscle builder pills, and some relaxers, so building them up, to relax them, lol

I don't do pain pills, much, least not anything stronger than tylenol or ibprofen, I know too many people that get addicted to prescription drugs, and I don't wanna be one of them if i can get by, i won't take them..

So Ill buck up, and hope soon, it eases a bit...Once I get walking, Im fine, it's the getting up and down part!! lol

what else, not much else right now, getting ready to go out, so Ill see you all later, have a great day!!!!! Oh, and I have some impatiens, some marigolds, some begonias, and some petunias, all flowering as we speak, and will last till the first frost! I love splashes of color!!

I didn't go to the dr or take anything for pain either. Surprisingly I think I was the most comfortable with a kitchen chair as it was easier to get up and down and it was better keep moving and not sit too long. Seems like by the end of the day it would be better but the next morning you start all over. Laying in bed seemed to pull on it and make it hurt more as did driving (it was my right leg)-----depressing the gas pedal made it feel like I had pulled it all over again. I understand the pain you are in.

I have mostly perennials and usually plant marigolds but didn't last year and haven't yet this year. My avatar is some of my daffodils. They along with the peonies, day lillies, surprise lillies, iris, and hibiscus all need to be thinned out and reset. I also have purple cone flowers, black eyed susans, sweet pea, ajugas, sedums, white spirea, japanese spirea, lilacs, mock orange, forsythias, 1 rose bush, wisteria, and our bonsai trees. Then you can add in the muliflora rose,honeysuckle, buck brush, poison ivy, etc---------its a jungle. If it wasn't raining again I should be outside working.

Edited by bgs
  • Like 2

post-71930-0-51923200-1402589025_thumb.jpg

Here's the Afghan (a little disheveled) I am working currently.

post-71930-0-58343300-1402589099_thumb.jpg

And here is the granny square in Blueberry (gumdrop-rh). I used the same pattern but after reminding myself of the first round I continued to finish it all on my own. That's a first!

Edited by reiann
  • Like 3

attachicon.gifIMG_20140612_120020_kindlephoto-44895307.jpg

Here's the Afghan (a little disheveled) I am working currently.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140612_114728_kindlephoto-44169918.jpg

And here is the granny square in Blueberry (gumdrop-rh). I used the same pattern but after reminding myself of the first round I continued to finish it all on my own. That's a first!

It will get easier and it will get to the point that you will be able to do a basic granny in your sleep.  You will learn variations on how to join, do the corners, substitution for ch 3, etc and then pick what works best for you.  I find it helps to kind of pull on them a bit after each round to keep them square and if you are doing multi colors, start the colors in different corners.  

• Like 3

Reiann-those look great....I love the colors as well...

bgs- I also love bonsai...Wish I could get the hang of it...I bought a little juniper (I think that's what it is..lol) and I'm afraid to style it..So I'm just letting it grow....

katy-hope you feel better....You'll never guess what I did yesterday....lol...My husband asked how my leg was, I said it was ok..He asked if I was up for a walk by the creek so he could show me a flower...I said OK...Then he's like, can we go a bit further...I said alright...Well, I stumbled and twisted my ankle a tiny bit...Now my ankle is bruised...The swelling has gone down quite a bit....So today was the girls' last day of school..I'm gonna be sitting and keeping off it...

post-17852-0-99287200-1402605551_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone! Been running around a lot these last couple of weeks. Good news, I managed to find a new job after getting laid off in April! I start on Monday! I'm excited/nervous about it!

• Like 3

lil_mama now you really must be careful until all your owies are gone. Youv'e got a perfect excuse for sitting with your feet up and crocheting.

We have been faithfully attending the KC bonsai society's workshops for 7 years. There is so much to learn and many ways to approach it, ie buying one and maintaining it to buying nursery stock or digging up things in your yard and developing it. This is our best tree when we purchased it.post-11309-0-34662500-1402608608_thumb.jpg Then this is after pruning and wiring post-11309-0-73559700-1402608884_thumb.jpg This is two years later after some maintenance pruning and rewiring post-11309-0-83898400-1402609144_thumb.jpg In the first photo it had overgrown. In bonsai you are supposed to be able to see the trunk. It seems counterproductive but now I have to keep pinching the new buds off when they are about the size of a grain of rice. Sorry this may be more than most wanted to see or hear about.

Edited by bgs
  • Like 4