katyallen8090

Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

I've been in hiding this week. Hubby had neck surgery on Tuesday and since then, my time has been eaten up with driving the hour each way to the hospital and now to the rehab facility. He's doing well, just not good enough to be on his own yet. Today I took the girls up to see him, which was good. :) I did have lots of time for crocheting and should be able to get a few packages out by the weekend.

Hope your hubby is recovering well!  :)

Hi I'm new to this site but this group seems like so much fun! I want in on the fun too! Please!!!

Nik

:welcome  Hope you enjoy the group as much as we do!! 

oh, and here's some home work for all of you!! I was wondering just how many ghans got completed, from this group, this thread. I am going to post mine on here in May/

Hope to see lots of pics of finsihed ghans!!

or works still in progress,    

and or works that have been completed, and re-homed to someone or someone's fav.charity...

, and I think we will have a special trade off for that month, 

it will be a chose your own queen,and send to her for may? I know we only have a few more names to make queen, but will be taking a break in May, for our special mail out to the queen of our choice!! What does everyone think of that, can be one or two, or more, anything, to anyone you like!!!!!

Sooooooo, two things,,,,,, make sure your preferences again,are current, and make sure the addy i have is current.....go hunting for those pics of your ghan, or take a pic and post it in May!!

I know i would love to see some of the ghans you completed, either by this thread, or even by means of another thread, or forum, , or something you completed on your own, and show them  all during the month of May!!!! Some of the colorways of your "preferences list" sound amazing, and I and all of us would love to see how some of these turned out!!!!!!

So, Yarn Monkey, the crown will go into the shop for maintenance, and repair,after your reign, till JUNE,how cool is that!! Then in June, it's back to biz with our Queen of the Month!! Does that sound do-able squares??? We all kinda do that anyway, sometimes, lol. only dif is, no passing of the crown, no randomly selected queen, it's OUR PICK< all our decisions!!! I think it might be fun to see what or whom, we all come up with!!!!!!!! and a good goal to work towards in hopes of finishing some of these projects!

Well, so that being said it's bck to the chalk board, lol. lemme know if any of you don't care for the idea, or love it, thanks!

Well, the crown has been passed around for a while now, so I'm sure it's got some fingerprints and needs a good polishing! I think a month of maintenance should take care of it!  :lol

Pics of incomplete ghans would also help us decide who to send to. Some may decide to send to someone with very few squares or some may want to send to someone who is nearly finished.

As for pics of finished ghans, maybe we can start a special show-and-tell thread. What do you think?

I think a show and tell thread would be great! I think there are enough people checking out that category that we should get some old members of our group in there to post theirs!  :yes

I still need twelve inch squares in browns. I haven't finished mine yet but then again I need to get it unpacked. Love the idea of showing off our ghans.

I'll try to hunt down my brown... I just used it for skoggy, so I know I've got some around here somewhere!  :tup

We all had a blast at Busch Gardens, and like I said, DH won a HUGE glow in the dark moon for our nephew. I don't think nephew could have possibly had a better time! As we were leaving, he looked at his mom and said "this was worth everything to me!!" He was all smiles! Even though I really had a blast anyway, hearing him say that totally made my day! 

I was working on a 12" square for someone and ran out of yarn... Now I need to find the rest of it in the disaster that is my craft room. We moved in over a year ago and I never have unpacked it. I guess sometimes other things are more important. It does mean I occasionally buy more of something I already have, but that's not a bad thing, right?? :devil 

In the meantime, I bought a small crewel project to work on. It's really small so I should have it done in a couple of days and It'll look fabulous hanging in our kitchen!

Hope everyone had a good weekend and a good beginning of the week!   :ghug

oh i do too bgs, tht would have been great......I don't know how to keep the thread ours though, if we open a new show and tell, unless the title is something like, ghans and pics from the friendship granny thread??? I dunno. I too would love to see layouts, and how many more everyone is needing,and what they are working on...

It sounds good to me. Looking forward to May's photo blitz.  There have been several ghans completed by people who have left us.  Sometimes I wish we had made a special place where all the photos of them were kept so you could see them without going back through each page of the thread.

If people don't have completed ghans maybe they could post a layout with the squares they have and also let us know how many more squares they need to complete it.  If they are close we might get a few more completed.

Pics of incomplete ghans would also help us decide who to send to. Some may decide to send to someone with very few squares or some may want to send to someone who is nearly finished.

As for pics of finished ghans, maybe we can start a special show-and-tell thread. What do you think?

good idea

I would also like to see pics of incomplete ghans because it inspires me as to what squares I might want to send and what colors.

Well Cindy I wish we had thought to start that thread a long time ago........sounds like a good idea to me.  Maybe by starting a thread in show and tell some that have completed ghans but don't visit this thread anymore will notice and put up a pic there. 

yeah,maybe, we'll have to think of a name for the thread.....cos otherwise, they have a show and tell for ghans, me thinks..

I still need twelve inch squares in browns. I haven't finished mine yet but then again I need to get it unpacked. Love the idea of showing off our ghans.

wow, 12 inch in browns, Idon't have any brown!!! YIKES!!  lol

Edited by katyallen8090

Good Morning!

I slept for a solid 5 hours last night  :yay . I haven't been sleeping very well so it was great and I feel good this morning. 

Now to work, some errands after work and then I think I will go home and crochet. I've had my eye on a Brother PE770 embroidery machine for a while the price is around $600. I could use the tax refund or a bonus I have coming, I just have a hard time justifying it when there are other things that need to be done around the house.

Hope everyone has a great day.

$600! Wow that is an inexpensive embroidery machine! Must just do the basics, but really, that is all most of us need!

A few years ago when I was coveting an embroidery machine I wanted a Jenome forgot the number but it was top of the line and was $10000 or more, plus the software, plus the special thread, plus the stabilizers, plus, plus, plus, plus .  I mean if you are going to want, want the best.  I told myself I would try to save for it but you know how that goes-----you always wind up needing the money for something else.  Thinking about it now I am not sure I would live long enough to get my money's worth out of it.  My stepmom bought one and she hardly uses it.  The consensus is I may inherit it someday.  I guess I could borrow it while she is in FL for 5 months of the year but I would feel really bad if it broke while I was using it. 

I also used to want to learn to quilt but never really got into that either. 

Janome. That is what I have! My main machine has been going strong for at least 15 years, sews as well as embroiders. It was top of the line at the time and cost $3500! Yikes! You can get one now for that 10 grand, but I could buy a small used car for that so nope! Hope mine continues to work!

Hi all, got a pm out to nik, for her preferences,and addy, so welcome, and I will get you Nik on the list as soon as I receive that info!! weclome to our little square home here!!!

Kuddles, I have ordered a roll of this product, to sort of fuse onto the backs of embroidery things, here is that link, have you used it before, has anyone???

http://www.allstitch.net/department/coverastitch-fusible-embroidery-stitch-covering-dream-weave-10326.cfm?killnav=1

Next on the agenda, how is our queen this month, are you still counting lots of squares coming in??

That is the same type of thing I get at Joanns on a roll. Always use my 50% off coupon. If I embroider on a shirt, kuddles needs it so the stitches don't bug her.

and hello to everyone else! Welcome to the newest member!

I needed about 2 more hours of sleep but oh well, had to get up and start getting ready for work!

Kiddles and I will be gone Friday/Saturday visiting my family downstate. We'll do an easter egg hunt and color eggs at my SIL's house, the usual.

Well gotta get ready!

kuddles

oh, and here's some home work for all of you!! I was wondering just how many ghans got completed, from this group, this thread. I am going to post mine on here in May/

Hope to see lots of pics of finsihed ghans!!

or works still in progress,    

and or works that have been completed, and re-homed to someone or someone's fav.charity...

, and I think we will have a special trade off for that month, 

it will be a chose your own queen,and send to her for may? I know we only have a few more names to make queen, but will be taking a break in May, for our special mail out to the queen of our choice!! What does everyone think of that, can be one or two, or more, anything, to anyone you like!!!!!

Sooooooo, two things,,,,,, make sure your preferences again,are current, and make sure the addy i have is current.....go hunting for those pics of your ghan, or take a pic and post it in May!!

I know i would love to see some of the ghans you completed, either by this thread, or even by means of another thread, or forum, , or something you completed on your own, and show them  all during the month of May!!!! Some of the colorways of your "preferences list" sound amazing, and I and all of us would love to see how some of these turned out!!!!!!

So, Yarn Monkey, the crown will go into the shop for maintenance, and repair,after your reign, till JUNE,how cool is that!! Then in June, it's back to biz with our Queen of the Month!! Does that sound do-able squares??? We all kinda do that anyway, sometimes, lol. only dif is, no passing of the crown, no randomly selected queen, it's OUR PICK< all our decisions!!! I think it might be fun to see what or whom, we all come up with!!!!!!!! and a good goal to work towards in hopes of finishing some of these projects!

Well, so that being said it's bck to the chalk board, lol. lemme know if any of you don't care for the idea, or love it, thanks!

Katie, I like the idea of showing off our finished and unfinished afghans. Picking our own Queen for the month sounds like fun too, guess I should get squares out to this month's queen first.

Welcome to the group NikGetsFit.

It's a work day, then I have some errands to run. Then I'm heading home to pack my suitcase for my trip to DD's home this weekend, I plan to leave straight from work tomorrow. Oh and then I have church tonight. It's going to be a busy day. I did some crocheting last night, I'm still working on a top that was part of a crochet along last month, maybe I'll finish by the end of this month.

Guess that's about it for now. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day today.

Picked up a job for Thu and Fri. It will more than make up for what I lost with my other client. And its with those precious preschoolers again. Yay!

Hmm....I haven't done a 12 inch in a while.....

oh i do too bgs, tht would have been great......I don't know how to keep the thread ours though, if we open a new show and tell, unless the title is something like, ghans and pics from the friendship granny thread??? I dunno. I too would love to see layouts, and how many more everyone is needing,and what they are working on...

good idea

yeah,maybe, we'll have to think of a name for the thread.....cos otherwise, they have a show and tell for ghans, me thinks..

wow, 12 inch in browns, Idon't have any brown!!! YIKES!!  lol

Just call the thread Granny Squares Friendship/Comfortghan Show and Tell and then put an explanation in the first post that it is a show and tell of finished ghans from our thread. I'm sure people will figure it out.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome! I'm so glad to be crocheting again...I took a couple years off due to life happening...like seriously, I have boxes of yarn in my garage from when we moved over a year ago!!! I think I'm going to use an empty dresser in the guest room and move my craft stuff in there (why didn't I think if that sooner?)

Nik

• Like 1

:welcome :welcome :welcomeNik ! Hope you enjoy your stay here :) These ladies are all awesome !

To all the rest of you ladies, HEYYYYYYYYYY ! :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

• Like 1

Hey ladies!
Sorry for not being around recently. :(

Just popped in to say that I received some lovely squares from yarn_monkey today! They are sooooo nice! Thank you! :hug

Tomorrow I am getting all the choco squares laid out and will take a pic of them all! Can't wait to show you! x

• Like 2

Hi, gang!  I'm another one of those lost ones that come sneaking back in, lol.  How is everyone?  

• Like 1

Welcome Nik, its good to have you.

Sounds like everyone likes the plans for May.  Maybe we need to start a thread under afghans in the Show and Tell Section.  We just need to decide on what to call it, maybe something like Completed ghans from the Friendship/Comfortghan CAL past and present. Then maybe in the first post explain that we would like photos posted there of the ghans completed through the CAL regardless of whether the person is active in the CAL or not.  Everybody keep thinking.  We will eventually figure it out.

yarn-monkey, I mailed your package today.

Skoggy, glad you dropped in.

C-short, I think you would really enjoy the embroidery machine. 

Kuddles, I just couldn't believe how much the machines cost, let alone all the other things you need to go along with it.  Sounds like you and Kiddles should have a nice Easter with your SIL

Cindy, glad you got some work after all. 

ImmaFreek :cheer  :cheer to you too.

• Like 1

Hi, gang!  I'm another one of those lost ones that come sneaking back in, lol.  How is everyone?  

Glad you checked in.  I was wondering about you yesterday.

Glad you checked in.  I was wondering about you yesterday.

I'm still on the face of the Earth.  :lol  I kept meaning to catch up with posts, but the list got long; so I jumped back in instead.  It seems there are plans for an afghan CAL?  That sounds great!

welcome Nik

question on the May square blitz,do we get the names/addys  from you ? or do we have to e mail them and then its not a surprise

I have a person in mind

• Like 1

welcome to all our lost ees!!

Pineknott, humm, I ws advised a while back not to give out the addresses much, unless it was unavoidable, so Im thinking, we will have to contact them for their info, and only go through me in extreme cases, and those of us like me and bgs, and some others, (listed on the first post. as "angel list" we could send those kind hearted souls that do so much for all of us, an nice card thanking them for their contribution to all our ghans!!!!!!!!

So, if all goes well with Wayne's doctors tomorrow, he should be coming home Friday! Hooray!

• Like 3

Hey ladies!

Sorry for not being around recently. :(

Just popped in to say that I received some lovely squares from yarn_monkey today! They are sooooo nice! Thank you! :hug

Tomorrow I am getting all the choco squares laid out and will take a pic of them all! Can't wait to show you! x

Glad you got them! And in about a week too! I'm a little surprised! 

Sounds like everyone likes the plans for May.  Maybe we need to start a thread under afghans in the Show and Tell Section.  We just need to decide on what to call it, maybe something like Completed ghans from the Friendship/Comfortghan CAL past and present. Then maybe in the first post explain that we would like photos posted there of the ghans completed through the CAL regardless of whether the person is active in the CAL or not.  Everybody keep thinking.  We will eventually figure it out.

yarn-monkey, I mailed your package today.

Skoggy, glad you dropped in.

C-short, I think you would really enjoy the embroidery machine. 

Kuddles, I just couldn't believe how much the machines cost, let alone all the other things you need to go along with it.  Sounds like you and Kiddles should have a nice Easter with your SIL

Cindy, glad you got some work after all. 

ImmaFreek :cheer  :cheer to you too.

Yay! I'll be keeping an eye on the mailbox! Thank you!!  :hug

Not much to report today... I've been dealing with the last of my mom's medical bills so I'm exhausted! I had about a half an inch thick of bills to call and have reported to Medicaid, Cobra, or just up to date copies sent to me of the ones that happened during the lapse in her coverage. Fortunately there are more to be billed to other people than to me! I've got more to call on tomorrow and it's already late, so I'm off to bed! Hopefully I'll find that missing yarn tomorrow so I can finish a square and request an address!  :yes

• Like 2

Hello everyone! I was going to say happy Friday but I was afraid I would confuse too many people :lol , it's like my Friday since there is no school tomorrow. 

So, if all goes well with Wayne's doctors tomorrow, he should be coming home Friday! Hooray!

That is great news.

Skoggy and AngelRoseLite it's good to hear from you.

I am having an egg hunt for my class today and then we will be making Bunny Bait. I know at least one of my students is going to Take Your Child to Work Day with his father, I'm not sure if any others are going. Our school district is a week early for the child to work day because we will be in the midst of district wide testing next week when the national day is held. Then after school I will be on the highway to my DDs.

Have a great day!

• Like 1

Morning! Tired this morning, more coffee please!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oops! Sorry bout that! Better go get that next cuppa!

Have a great day!

kuddles

Good morning!

Been trying to get my sewing machine working and it's making an awful noise so it's out of commission until can can see a doctor which will be a little while here. There is no funds in the bank for it.:( so will have to see if I can find a used one on Craig's list or the bargain things.

Oh yes Katie,I had forgotten that technicality

good news for me,in my crochetville book,if I happen to remember to record the addy of the person I'm sending to,I'll still have it,its when the user name and addy get sepatated,that I had to do some sleuthing back in e mails sent

Well, the preschoolers weren't too pleasant today but it was still nice to see them again. One of them hugged me when I came in! Another hit me twice (yeah, not in a good mood). The staff was really happy to see that it was me subbing. Apparently, I'm one of the few subs they like. That made me feel real good!

I like the idea of calling it "Completed ghans from the Friendship/Comfortghan CAL". That sounds very clear.

Hello everyone! I was going to say happy Friday but I was afraid I would confuse too many people :lol , it's like my Friday since there is no school tomorrow. 

Thank you for not adding to my confusion. ;)

Morning! Tired this morning, more coffee please!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oops! Sorry bout that! Better go get that next cuppa!

Have a great day!

kuddles

A few extra z's this morning :morcoffee .  Hope your day was okay.

Good morning!

Been trying to get my sewing machine working and it's making an awful noise so it's out of commission until can can see a doctor which will be a little while here. There is no funds in the bank for it. :( so will have to see if I can find a used one on Craig's list or the bargain things.

Sorry about your :sew machine.  Is it the motor or the gears or do you have any idea?  Anymore my sis picks up one at a garage sale and uses it until it messes up and then picks up another one. 

in my crochetville book,if I happen to remember to record the addy of the person I'm sending to,I'll still have it,its when the user name and addy get sepatated,that I had to do some sleuthing back in e mails sent

If I manage to keep the user name and addy together then I have a hard time remembering which ones have moved since I mailed to them last :think

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

Hi y\a squares!!

In regards to the old addys, it is always best to pm your prospective recievers,  as and take it from me, lol, many have moved, and some of mine have come back in the past, so I always pm, whether they have just updated a month ago, or not, better to be safe, than sorry.The surprise is still there, that way they get twice surprised, once from the pm , and then of course, when they arrive!!!!!!!!

Ok, On the first of May, I will open that thread, I like your title, Completed ghans from the Friendship/Comfortghan CAL and will use that for the new thread to open on May Day!!!

good to see some of you, been awhile!! lol!! sorry bout the machine, sewing machines, generally found used, but new ones, at least the uncomplicated ones, are fairly good priced, least last time I looked.. Good luck with findine one.

oh, what else, going to photo  the baby afs I have made in the last week or so,,,,,,some for project linus, some for the Emg. Preg.Center here locally.....they turned out really cute,I went on a stash busting spree.... I  made a few 12 point round ripples, and some 8 point round ripples, and for the consensus, i love the 12 point, but the 8 and 10 points, equally as cute, soooo. lol

and before I forget , I mailed a puffy,( as we call manilla envelopes full of squares,) out to our newest member, Nichole, (NikGetsFit) and sent some 4 inchers to Rusty's mom, in pastels,,,,,,so if you BOTH would please let me know when they arrive, I would appreciate it much, as I tend to worry about them traveling all alone, it's a big world out there, lol

well, nuff said, the new thread will be ongoing, I hope as old and newer members post pics of the ghans they  did  with help from all of us here on this thread!!  

Oh yes Katie,I had forgotten that technicality

good news for me,in my crochetville book,if I happen to remember to record the addy of the person I'm sending to,I'll still have it,its when the user name and addy get sepatated,that I had to do some sleuthing back in e mails sent