katyallen8090

Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Just a quick Good Morning! I'll be back later.

• Like 1

Once the boys are off to school, Rosalie & I are going to go do some shopping. I'm hitting up goodwill to see if I can't maybe find myself some jeans & her some pants - all her 12 month pants are too short (apparently she's going to be tall!!) I also believe a trip to starbucks is in order.. REALLY hoping the snow misses us! We have a chance, but not too big of a chance! RC & I were laughing last night & said we had a chance for snow today and tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 70's! 

I think while I'm out, I'm going to try to hand out some Thirty-One catalogs to see if maybe I can get some sales!! RC has said that I need to go to convention in July - but he's not sure whether or not he and the kids will go or not.. It's in Denver, I've never been further west than Wichita, so it should be an experience! I would like for he and the kids to go, and maybe we could take a week out there! 

I'm almost done with my bunny lovey - I just have to run to the store & get a new tape measure - mine has been worn so much, there aren't many numbers left on there! I don't know how big I'll end up doing it, because it will be the first that I'll have done, but they're quick & easy. From what I've gathered by reading on various things online, most people do them 17 inches by 17 inches, which seems like a good size - because they'll still fit easily in a diaper bag, etc! 

I ended up taking apart what I had done so far on my afghan (I hadn't worked on it in a good bit) and I just have all my squares sorted & organized so that when I get a chance, I can border them all in black & maybe I will like how the afghan is looking better then! 

• Like 1

Good Morning Ladies!  It's another overcast day in central MA.  We're not supposed to get much besides a few flurries, so I'm holding them to it, lol.  It sure is cold out there though, brrrr.  I'm still fighting this cold, so getting a lot of sleep in.  I did finish my second square for our reigning queen yesterday, so hopefully I'll be able to get it in the mail sometime soon.   Katie, I don't remember if I gave you my final square counts, but I rec'd 26 squares in all.  Thank you everyone!

Good morning!

Today will do something nice for hubby. Today is his birthday!
Also going with daughter to get little mans pictures taken.

No school today. Daughter was taking out the puppies and lost her balance and broke the top window in the screen. Everyone is okay but now need to replace the dang door. About two months ago she broke the bottom part. We have plastic and cardboard there and now will do the same till we get a door . Need to measure it and see if we can find a used one or discounted one. Would love to put a dog door on it.

Happy Birthday to your hubby!!!  Too bad about the door. Hope you can find a nice replacement.

As promised - Here are some squares I have received!! (Would have posted them yesterday, but our internet decided it didn't want to work!!)

The next 2 pictures are from Katyallen! 

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG  attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

And this one is from CindysSweetThings!

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

I had a Bunny Lovey pattern on my computer that I had won in a giveaway on facebook, so I started that last night.. I got the bunny done & about 1/4 of the way (I think) through the blanket pattern, so I am hoping to finish this today! 

Beautiful squares!!!  Looking forward to seeing your bunny lovey.  I've been wanting to make one for a while now and keep putting it off, lol.  They are so adorable though.

I want to go home! We had our monthly company meeting today and I had to do my presentation from our Winter Conference that was last month, because I was sick and missed the conference. And I hadn't gotten all the slides done because of the snow beforehand; we were closed and I couldn't log in. So I spent all this morning finishing up the PowerPoint and feeling sick to my stomach from nervousness, and now it's done, thank gods, but I just want to go home and hide.

And now we're talking about liking the company's Facebook/twitter/linkedin/google+ pages. And I'm just like no. I'll find the linked in page, but I'm not linking Facebook to work. Nope nope nope. I keep a strict work-private life divide there.

Ok rant done. :(

I'm with you, no way would I be wanting to have to "like" my company on anything.  There is a line, we are losing all of our privacy.

Everything looks wonderful.

Very pretty.

Not much going on here. I got to talk to my grandkids last night, their dad face timed me so we could all see each other while we talked, I think I was more excited than the kids. I can't wait to go see them on Friday, I'll be staying for the weekend. Saturday is my grandson's birthday so we will be celebrating. This is the costume he has been asking for so I made it for his birthday. I don't know why the pictures are sideways or how to fix it, sorry.

attachicon.gifdinosaur front.JPG

attachicon.gifdinosaur side.JPG

attachicon.gifdinosaur back.JPG

Awwww, that costume is fantastic!!!  You are another wiz on the sewing machine!  Have a great time with your grandkids this weekend!  I'm hoping to see mine this Sunday if I'm feeling better.  I have my fingers crossed!

NICE Cshort, you are another wiz at the sewing machine!!!!!!!

HI all, got the truck back today, and umm, lets just say cost more than I expected, but is running well, and 800 bucks later, is on the road again, lol  Course that includes all the parts he got and put in, trying first to trouble shoot, and the last 400 was what the shop charged for diagnosis, and parts,and labor............whew....glad its back, ....was a bit relieved they figured it out however, and glad it's home, sitting next to Ms.Kia in the driveway, I think she missed him, lol

Took some alka seltzer a while ago, so don't know if I will stay awake too much longer, Im congested, so thought that would help,but it always makes me sleepy.....

well ladies, ann, and carol, and dragn and yarnmonkey, Kuddles, and all else, Im running out of steam, so will say goodnight for now, see you all in the am,!!!!  

Hope you're feeling better.  I've never been able to tolerate Alka Selzter, but I'm glad it works for you.  My brother used to love the stuff, lol.

I love all the eye candy!  It's all so diverse and motivational.  Kuddles, I still can't figure out how to use the sewing machine to attach the fabric lining to the crocheted bags.  The yarn gets caught and pulled down into where the bobbin goes.  I hate it!  What sewing machine do you have?  I think I remember you said that you don't have to lower the feed dogs when you're sewing fabric and yarn together.  Do you have the yarn portion on top and the fabric underneath when you're sewing?  It's a mystery I haven't been able to solve, but once I do, it will make lining bags easier and faster.

The rain has been gone for two days now.  The days are just a little cold for L.A. area standards.  I am basking in the glory of it, lol.  I've finished some booties, hoodies, and other stuff.  I will post a pic soon.  Other than that, there's nothing new going on here.

Everyone have a happy hump day :)

Looking forward to seeing all your wonderful projects!!!!  Regarding the sewing thing, mind you, sewing machines and I do not get along, lol, but I believe that I have read that some people put a sheet of paper or paper towel on the bottom.  So it's your lining, the tote/bag, then the paper/paper towel.  The theory is that the paper stops the yarn from being pulled down into the machine (bobbin).  Then when you are done you just tear the paper off and you can't even tell it was there! I have not tried this yet, but I was planning to try it in the future on a tote if I didn't feel like sewing it in by hand like I usually do (yeah, I'm a chicken, lol)

Morning!

cshort - you are so talented!!!

angelroselite - I have a Janome but really, I don't know why your yarn is doing that! My yarn is on the bottom.....wait, I only sew lining in to bags that are crocheted tightly, with no gaps. Perhaps you tried a looser yarned item? Then yes I think it would do that but if stiffer and no holes, I think it should work. At least it does for me!

Dusting of snow out there with a few more inches coming today. And rain into snow Fri/Sat. Everyone around here is so done with winter! Argh!

Another usual work day. Poor kiddles is enduring the ISAT testing yesterday through next Tuesday. She hates it. Big hub bub up here in the Chicago schools with teachers refusing to give the mandated tests cause they are only used to judge the schools, not the kids and parents want their kids learning not testing. The drama! I tell her not to worry, if you don't answer everything, it isn't a big deal. But the school has made her feel it is. Ah the trials of being a parent and making your kid feel better!

Well on that note, off I go!

kuddles

Poor Kiddles, why do they do that to our kids?  She'll get thru it, you both will.  Even if it doesn't feel like it at times, lol.  (((hugs)))

Once the boys are off to school, Rosalie & I are going to go do some shopping. I'm hitting up goodwill to see if I can't maybe find myself some jeans & her some pants - all her 12 month pants are too short (apparently she's going to be tall!!) I also believe a trip to starbucks is in order.. REALLY hoping the snow misses us! We have a chance, but not too big of a chance! RC & I were laughing last night & said we had a chance for snow today and tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 70's! 

I think while I'm out, I'm going to try to hand out some Thirty-One catalogs to see if maybe I can get some sales!! RC has said that I need to go to convention in July - but he's not sure whether or not he and the kids will go or not.. It's in Denver, I've never been further west than Wichita, so it should be an experience! I would like for he and the kids to go, and maybe we could take a week out there! 

I'm almost done with my bunny lovey - I just have to run to the store & get a new tape measure - mine has been worn so much, there aren't many numbers left on there! I don't know how big I'll end up doing it, because it will be the first that I'll have done, but they're quick & easy. From what I've gathered by reading on various things online, most people do them 17 inches by 17 inches, which seems like a good size - because they'll still fit easily in a diaper bag, etc! 

I ended up taking apart what I had done so far on my afghan (I hadn't worked on it in a good bit) and I just have all my squares sorted & organized so that when I get a chance, I can border them all in black & maybe I will like how the afghan is looking better then! 

Good luck with your Thirty-One.. I had never heard of it.  nice stuff.  That seems like a good size for the lovey.  You wouldn't want them too big.

• Like 2

bgs, thank you so much for all the squares!!! So many! 3 gorgeous 8"ers (I love the one with a heart one!) and 16! 4"ers :D Thank you ever so much! I will post a pic as soon as I have no little ones running around stealing squares. :hug

bgs, thank you so much for all the squares!!! So many! 3 gorgeous 8"ers (I love the one with a heart one!) and 16! 4"ers :D Thank you ever so much! I will post a pic as soon as I have no little ones running around stealing squares. :hug

now, ms. skoggy, you know we love us our eye candy!!!!!!! Bet they are gorgeous, bgs does such NICE squares too....

Hi angelrose, so glad the floods there, and the rain, has eased for you all......

Kuddles, is the ISAT's like the tests that you color in the ovals with a number two pencil???

I always did well on those, lol,.....

Jessicali, never heard of that before, will have to check it out. the 31 thing I mean...

Ann, thanks for the count, and hope all is well with the rest of you, glad to hear ann that you got queenies done, and already, you are moving lady!!!!!!

Hi Sandra and how are you this fine morning!!

hI TO ALL else that i missed, and have a great day, Im on my way out for a  bit, see you all later!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

That is a fantastic costume! I'd wear a costume like that. :lol Your grandson will love it, no doubt!

I can attest to the success of using stabilizers for sewing tricky things! I usually have the stabilizer on the bottom (coffee filters in my case) and then whatever I'm sewing, so I can be sure the seam is going where I wanted it to.

I first tried it with embroidery for a crazy quilt project I worked on several years ago. I drew the pattern right onto the coffee filter, slapped it on the fabric and stitched through. Great!!! for putting lots of detail in, since you're drawing on paper and not fabric, and the needle perforated it and makes it easy to tear away when you're done. And the coffee filters I can just drop in the compost!

Today is much better than yesterday, thank goodness. Still wish I could stay home though - I've got an unusual desire to start burning through my crafting backlog!

• Like 2

woo hoo,some good news for a change

hubby won 10 - $100.00 gift cards for groceries at our local FarmFresh supermarket$1,000 in free food that we don't have  to pay for,  doing the happy dance. :clap  :clap  :clap

Edited by pineknott
  • Like 5

WOOT!

hubby won 10 - $100.00 gift cards for groceries at our local FarmFresh supermarket$1,000 in free food that we don't have  to pay for,  doing the happy dance. :clap  :clap  :clap

Here are all the lovely squares sent to me from bgs! Thank you so much :hug

post-54070-0-98898200-1394055153_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

We got all of our running around for the day! 

Went to Goodwill first, and got myself 3 pair of jeans - all brand new with the tags still attached for $4 each & Rosalie a bunch of new clothes - all $0.99 each. Stopped by Hobby Lobby to buy for some swap partners after that. Got some stuff for both swaps I'm participating in currently!! Bought NO yarn - so that's a good thing for my stashbusting score lol. Once we got done there, since she had fallen asleep & stayed asleep when I put her in her carseat, I stopped by Starbucks & got a Iced Caramel Macchiato. When I got to the window, they informed me that the person ahead of me paid for my drink, so since there was someone waiting behind me, I paid for theirs! I waited about 5 minutes, they told me that I got a voucher for a free drink since they didn't have mine made yet. Turns out they DID have it made, but made an extra, so I got 2 drinks today for free (technically) then another with the voucher for later! I'd never had their Iced coffee before and this was delicious!! I'm a bit hyped up on coffee now though!! 

Stopped by Panda Express & got lunch to bring home then went to the post office. It was 11:29, and they close at 11:30 for lunch. They would not let me in, had the doors locked already with people still inside. I was a bit irritated. The woman who was talking to me who works there is always such a peach to begin with. After that, Rosalie & I came home to eat lunch, watched Days of Our Lives (I'm a tad obsessed) and then BACK to the post office at 1:00 when they reopened. Mailed off an afghan, birthday invitations for Rosalie's party and some bills. 

Stopped by Dollar General, picked up some bubble mailers, an outfit for one of Rosalie's "Friends" who turns 1 the week after she does, a new sharpie for mailing & a hot glue gun so I can make some headbands and chatted a while with my aunt! 

Now we're home & the boys will be home in about 10 minutes from school (They don't get out until 4:00 - but also don't start until 9:00). Today has been the busiest day I've had in a LONG time - and I love it! 

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing all your wonderful projects!!!!  Regarding the sewing thing, mind you, sewing machines and I do not get along, lol, but I believe that I have read that some people put a sheet of paper or paper towel on the bottom.  So it's your lining, the tote/bag, then the paper/paper towel.  The theory is that the paper stops the yarn from being pulled down into the machine (bobbin).  Then when you are done you just tear the paper off and you can't even tell it was there! I have not tried this yet, but I was planning to try it in the future on a tote if I didn't feel like sewing it in by hand like I usually do (yeah, I'm a chicken, lol)

I never considered doing that.  Thank you so much!  I'm excited to try it soon.  I have a bag and a lining all made up that I haven't put together yet.  I am going to experiment with them and let you know how it goes.  Thanks again :hug

I can attest to the success of using stabilizers for sewing tricky things! I usually have the stabilizer on the bottom (coffee filters in my case) and then whatever I'm sewing, so I can be sure the seam is going where I wanted it to.

I first tried it with embroidery for a crazy quilt project I worked on several years ago. I drew the pattern right onto the coffee filter, slapped it on the fabric and stitched through. Great!!! for putting lots of detail in, since you're drawing on paper and not fabric, and the needle perforated it and makes it easy to tear away when you're done. And the coffee filters I can just drop in the compost!

Today is much better than yesterday, thank goodness. Still wish I could stay home though - I've got an unusual desire to start burning through my crafting backlog!

Ooh, I must start drinking coffee now, heehee.  I guess I can buy the filters without having to make coffee.  I like the embroidery idea too.  So much new stuff I'm learning!  Love it :)

Today marks 10 years since my mom passed away at 50.  She would have loved this site.  Every time I took her out to eat, she made an effort to figure out what ingredients were used in food she liked, and then she would experiment at home.  I loved being one of her guinea pigs, lol.  She was a great cook, seamstress, crocheter, mom... "I can't" was not allowed in her presence.  I wish I still had all the dresses and clothes she made for me over the years.  I have my wedding dress that she and I made.  I'm divorced, but I can't seem to part with it.  I was blessed to have her as a mother for the time that God gave her.  

Happy Wednesday, ladies :)

• Like 1

Skoggy, you're welcome.

pineknott, congrats on the gift cards for groceries, that is certainly a case of winnning something very useful, hope you will be able to crochet soon

I never considered doing that.  Thank you so much!  I'm excited to try it soon.  I have a bag and a lining all made up that I haven't put together yet.  I am going to experiment with them and let you know how it goes.  Thanks again :hug

Ooh, I must start drinking coffee now, heehee.  I guess I can buy the filters without having to make coffee.  I like the embroidery idea too.  So much new stuff I'm learning!  Love it :)

Today marks 10 years since my mom passed away at 50.  She would have loved this site.  Every time I took her out to eat, she made an effort to figure out what ingredients were used in food she liked, and then she would experiment at home.  I loved being one of her guinea pigs, lol.  She was a great cook, seamstress, crocheter, mom... "I can't" was not allowed in her presence.  I wish I still had all the dresses and clothes she made for me over the years.  I have my wedding dress that she and I made.  I'm divorced, but I can't seem to part with it.  I was blessed to have her as a mother for the time that God gave her.  

Happy Wednesday, ladies :)

hugs to you,I know I wouldn't be able to part with a wedding dress you and her created together either

• Like 1

Skoggy, you're welcome.

pineknott, congrats on the gift cards for groceries, that is certainly a case of winnning something very useful, hope you will be able to crochet soon

its been a dry spell for wins,mom won race tickets to Charlotte about 5-6 yrs ago,so it came as such a surprise to him,cause I'm the one who usually wins things

I have been able to get back into crochet,with the N hook for the time being,have 1/2 a hat done

certainly congratz to Linda, wow, that would be fun to go shopping huh!!!!!!!!

Hi viking, angel, and skoggy, nice squares from Brenda, love them!!!

Cshort, how is you daughter and family liking the new place??

Kuddles, how is your mom doing??

Half a hat huh Linda, nice job!!

all for now, gotta run, have a good one all......

Oh my gawrsh you guys. I was adding a few projects to my ravelry page tonight, and found a picture of some of the first squares I made to send out for this thread. They must have been some of the first, because the picture was from October 2012! Man! I was surprised to learn I've been here that long. :lol

• Like 1

Morning all!

Katie - mom is doing well, thanks for asking! I check on her a few times a week, and she is feeling good! Keeping my fingers crossed!

vikingrunner - yup some of us have been here a while! Memories.........

Heat wave up to 40 today! Won't last long but I'll take it!

Just glad to be a bit closer to the weekend!

Take care!

Kuddles

• Like 1

Good Morning!

Congratulations!

Here are all the lovely squares sent to me from bgs! Thank you so much :hug

attachicon.gifWP_001119.jpg

Those are very pretty squares.

We got all of our running around for the day! 

Went to Goodwill first, and got myself 3 pair of jeans - all brand new with the tags still attached for $4 each & Rosalie a bunch of new clothes - all $0.99 each. Stopped by Hobby Lobby to buy for some swap partners after that. Got some stuff for both swaps I'm participating in currently!! Bought NO yarn - so that's a good thing for my stashbusting score lol. Once we got done there, since she had fallen asleep & stayed asleep when I put her in her carseat, I stopped by Starbucks & got a Iced Caramel Macchiato. When I got to the window, they informed me that the person ahead of me paid for my drink, so since there was someone waiting behind me, I paid for theirs! I waited about 5 minutes, they told me that I got a voucher for a free drink since they didn't have mine made yet. Turns out they DID have it made, but made an extra, so I got 2 drinks today for free (technically) then another with the voucher for later! I'd never had their Iced coffee before and this was delicious!! I'm a bit hyped up on coffee now though!! 

Stopped by Panda Express & got lunch to bring home then went to the post office. It was 11:29, and they close at 11:30 for lunch. They would not let me in, had the doors locked already with people still inside. I was a bit irritated. The woman who was talking to me who works there is always such a peach to begin with. After that, Rosalie & I came home to eat lunch, watched Days of Our Lives (I'm a tad obsessed) and then BACK to the post office at 1:00 when they reopened. Mailed off an afghan, birthday invitations for Rosalie's party and some bills. 

Stopped by Dollar General, picked up some bubble mailers, an outfit for one of Rosalie's "Friends" who turns 1 the week after she does, a new sharpie for mailing & a hot glue gun so I can make some headbands and chatted a while with my aunt! 

Now we're home & the boys will be home in about 10 minutes from school (They don't get out until 4:00 - but also don't start until 9:00). Today has been the busiest day I've had in a LONG time - and I love it! 

Sounds like a very busy but productive day, I'm tired just reading about it.

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the costume for my grandson. Unfortunately he may have to wait an extra week to get it as my weekend plans may be altered because of the check engine light in my car. The light came on last night but the car is running fine, a friend is going to hook it up to a computer tonight and see if we can find the problem. I'm hoping it's something minor that my dad can fix, if not the car will be in the garage this weekend. Other than that, it's a typical work day and then home to do laundry and stuff. Hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning!!

Off today to get some house keys made. Having only one for five of us is not working out.

Okay, you said it, do you feel better? Hope so!

Let me just say.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:bang  :bang  :rant  :thair

• Like 1

Hi all,

Yes, I know some of you have been here even before I continued the thread to keep it going, I believe I did that in 2011, a while  after I joined the thread, so, probably I have been here, active, since maybe March 2010, and moderating this thread, since May 2011...

Oh my gawrsh you guys. I was adding a few projects to my ravelry page tonight, and found a picture of some of the first squares I made to send out for this thread. They must have been some of the first, because the picture was from October 2012! Man! I was surprised to learn I've been here that long. :lol

I would love to see a pic of them, lol memories, huh.

Good Morning!

Congratulations!

Those are very pretty squares.

Sounds like a very busy but productive day, I'm tired just reading about it.

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the costume for my grandson. Unfortunately he may have to wait an extra week to get it as my weekend plans may be altered because of the check engine light in my car. The light came on last night but the car is running fine, a friend is going to hook it up to a computer tonight and see if we can find the problem. I'm hoping it's something minor that my dad can fix, if not the car will be in the garage this weekend. Other than that, it's a typical work day and then home to do laundry and stuff. Hope everyone has a great day.

on mine, usually means something simple. good luck

Let me just say.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:bang  :bang  :rant  :thair

big smile, you crack me up!

Good morning!!

Off today to get some house keys made. Having only one for five of us is not working out.

That would be a bit awkward, and these days, you can't leave the doors unlocked, sooooooooo

Edited by katyallen8090

im going to count only from the time I took over the thread, (I was  a member in the thread though, since I think sometime in 2010 as I joined rather soon after i joined the ville....) which would be in May 2011, it would be cool if those of you that can remember, lol, would post how long you have been on the thread!!