Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Hi everybody,

Sorry I haven't posted here this week. I have been knitting on an afghan of my own design. It came about when I was thinking how I could get rid of some of the stash yarns that I have. I decided to knit some of each color and then to go around the strips with a neutral color of crochet.  After that I plan to crochet or slip stitch or sew the strips together. I thought that I had gone through all the colors and I could start hiding threads, but I have discovered some more yarn in colors I do not have so I am still knitting strips.  Right now the color I am using is a medium sage green. 

It has been cold here and it continues that way today. Yesterday was cold and windy.  I am glad that I stayed in. 

Hope everybody is doing well.  Prayers for those who need them. 

I am still collecting squares for my friendship afghan.  I am collecting pastel shades. 

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was up at 2 am,but thankfully was able to crawl back into bed,and fall asleep.

got up at 7,had my first coffee,and motrin and hopefully this swelling goes down soon.

I'm supposed to wiggle my fingers,but with the tightness, its a chore

I dont know how many times i woke in the middle of the night because the dog would start coughing

Rusty. I cant wait to see a picture. Sounds like it is gonna be gorgeous

Hi everybody,

Sorry I haven't posted here this week. I have been knitting on an afghan of my own design. It came about when I was thinking how I could get rid of some of the stash yarns that I have. I decided to knit some of each color and then to go around the strips with a neutral color of crochet.  After that I plan to crochet or slip stitch or sew the strips together. I thought that I had gone through all the colors and I could start hiding threads, but I have discovered some more yarn in colors I do not have so I am still knitting strips.  Right now the color I am using is a medium sage green. 

It has been cold here and it continues that way today. Yesterday was cold and windy.  I am glad that I stayed in. 

Hope everybody is doing well.  Prayers for those who need them. 

I am still collecting squares for my friendship afghan.  I am collecting pastel shades. 

I hope u r getting better.

I was up at 2 am,but thankfully was able to crawl back into bed,and fall asleep.

got up at 7,had my first coffee,and motrin and hopefully this swelling goes down soon.

I'm supposed to wiggle my fingers,but with the tightness, its a chore

I feel your pain... I am so so tired of winter

Oh my squares, awake at 2, finally got up just after 3. UGH! I sleep about every other nite! My mother and brother are the same so must be a family thing. Well I don't like it! Hrmph!

Peeked out the curtain and the snow has started. Only 3 inches today but then tomorrow's high is minus 6 and Tuesday morning will be minus 15! That is NOT wind chill, that is the real temp! I'm confident the schools will close Tuesday, hope they do for tomorrow too. Just too dangerous!

Got Mary Poppins from the library yesterday morning and Kiddles watched it in the afternoon (belly laughs!) and then yes, I allowed her to watch it again later, this time with me watching too. Such a super movie......Kiddles couldn't get over that the same woman in Sound of Music was in Mary Poppins!

Well off to check out my WW site, look up any recipes, check my usual ravelry, and wait till kiddles gets up. We will run to the mall to walk, then hit Jewel, then back home to completely nest. Possibly not to leave home till Wednesday!

Hugs to all!

Kuddles

Good Morning All!  I'm snuggled in on my couch surrounded by my trusted hooks and yarn.  I plan to spend the day here nice and cozy and warm!  It happens to be 6 degrees right now.  I don't know what it's supposed to get up to. Yesterday was 31, but with 30 mph winds it sure didn't feel like it.  I feel so bad for the homeless and the poor animals out there. It just so brutal and won't let up.

Welcome to Greenowlcrochet!!!  I hope you love our little group just as much as the rest of us do! 

pineknott, I hope the swelling goes down soon and you can get a better cast.

Kuddles, I love Mary Poppins!  The Sound of Music is wonderful too!  Hope you find some good WW recipes.

cindy, prayers for your husband.  Here's hoping he gets the job!  Hope you continue getting hours also.  Would love to know what you had to do at a dance also.  I just can't imagine, lol.

Skoggy, yes, others have answered, Harvard is in Cambridge MA.  It is next to Boston which is about 60 miles from me.

dragnlady, I'm so glad that you are getting spoiled a bit!  You deserve it!

AngelRoseLight, be very careful about your hand going numb.  Are you going to get it checked out?  (((hugs)))

Katie, yes, it's is sad, my time as queen is coming to an end. However, you all have been wonderful and I appreciate the kindness and friendship that is always waiting for me here.  I have been admiring my crown and will have it polished and shiny to pass on to our new queen on the 1st.  

cshort, hope your trip to Orlando goes well and that you get that side trip to Disney! Woot!!!

Mandy, (((hugs)))

Rusty's Mom, would love to see your blanket when it's done!

Well gang, that about does it.  I know I'm forgetting someone, please forgive me.  I'm on the laptop, so the multi-quote won't work.   I keep you all in my prayers and hope you all stay safe and warm in this crazy difficult weather we are having.  Catcha later!

Good morning everyone!

Getting up and making pancakes and bacon this morning.

Will take the boys back late this afternoon and daughter heads back to college.

I never like Sundays for this part but really enjoyed having the boys. No crocheting over the weekend like I thought I was going to do. Oh well it's okay it's always waiting for me.

Hope everyone is staying warm and safe. Sending hugs out to all and welcome to the new ones.

Hi ya  All Squares at large!!!

Yes, mild mild day here, but temps slowely going under as we speak, by tonight, it will be below zero and still falling, wind gusting too, soooo in for a cold night in front of the, uh. crochet hooks? lol MOst of the time, i have the tv on, but not really paying attention, or listening, it's just for white noise, I guess, I usually doing other things, and don't wanna just sit and watch something, lol

Did watch a little today, on the german Third Reich on History channel, that took very little actual watching, and more listening, while I worked on redoing some squares i just for some reason, didn't like the way they turned out, lol...

I find that some come over 8 inches, when they are supposed to be 8 inches, so took off the last row, re did it with one size down smaller hook, and wala, turned out much much closer to size!! So that is what i was doing.......

Have chatted with our incomming queen and she is getting very excited!!! Im so glad it was her this coming month!! But then, I am always glad, no matter whom it is, lol

On other subjects, lets see, covered the weather, the queen situation, the squares i fixed, what else was there?? Oh, have a turkey breast in the oven roasting, seems like a turkey breast day, lol I got a few of them around the holidays, as they are hard to find in warmer months here, and stored them in my sub zero freezer, only thing is, you gotta take them out at least a day ahead, to get them even unfroze enough to roast, lol, no problem, had it thawing in fridge since yesterday morning....

I vacuumed, did dishes, after making omelets and sausage for breakfast, made my bed, dumped all trash/waste baskets in the big one that goes out in the cans, and, what else, gee, if that is all i accomplished so far, that and the squares fixings, than my day has only begun, lol much more to do, and better get to it, you all have a safe and warm Sunday, take care......

Good to see you all posting, rusty's mom, and grannyannie too, nice you popped in!! Cshort, always good to see you, kuddles and kiddles, keep inside!! Sandra, nice day planned I see. Viking, and angel, and dragnlady, hello to everyone else I missed, take care till later, might play a game here on the internet  who knows where these fingers will take me!!! I might even catch up on posts i wanted to check out!!

Cindy, prayers for you.  I think I missed it somewhere, but what do you interpret?

I am a sign language interpreter.

That's great news about your husband, Cindy!! That's so exciting! Fingers crossed that the next step goes well! And you have to let us know what - oh, wait. I was going to say you have to let us know what there is to interpret at a dance, but you're not really allowed to, right? I remember reading that there are confidentiality requirements for sign language interpreters, but I don't know much about it.

Yes, we have confidentiality rules. I can be vague though. 

The night was pretty boring. I interpreted the check in and some social conversations but not much. Mostly the student wanted me to stay put and not be all up in his business. That's cool. He's old enough to decide for himself what services he does and does not want.

So, I designed yet another square! http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/150068-my-latest-design-6-celtic-knot-square/#entry2612559   

I was inspired by a comment by VikingRunnerGirl on one of my other squares (http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/140895-another-square-design/) so I gave it a try. The ones I made today are a smaller version of what I'm cooking up in my brain. I have it drawn out, I just need to figure out the stitch count before I begin. These smaller ones will help in the final design since I've learned a few things in the process. Its just so much easier to FROG a small motif! I'll post the bigger square soon (probably tomorrow since its going to be FREEZING and there probably won't be any school)

On the job front, my boss just contacted me today for 3 new assignments this week! I'm gonna be one busy mama! I'm not sure if tomorrow's assignments will be cancelled, though, due to weather.

Hello, fellow "hookers"! I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that I'll be making some granny squares for you all. Does anyone know of any good online tutorials on how to weave in the ends on granny squares? Weaving in the ends is the only part I'm struggling with! Thank you! I look forward to interacting more with you folks.

hi green owl, first of all welcome to our group!! glad to have you aboard the granny train!!! In answer to your question, there are many tutorials and ways to accomplish this less than loved task, just google weaving in ends in crochet, and you will come up with a bunch of help, here's just one............. good luck, we all don't care for this task, but in a way, if you have more than a few to do, it's sort of getting in the zone, sort of zen like, and meditative, lol,,,,,or so they say> lol, this should keep you busy for a bit, good luck!

This one is my favorite, very nice tutorial.  http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=crochet+and+weaving+in+the+ends&ei=utf-8&fr=chr-yie9

and heres more to chose from:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=crochet+and+weaving+in+the+ends&ei=utf-8&fr=chr-yie9

Good morning Squares!

I'm officially over winter! Done! Finished! Come on!!!!

At least kiddles and I are inside today, I'm sure tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes for Wednesday. Probably back to work/school. This will allow me to make up some WW recipes, sew (I  hope!) and crochet, most likely in the evening. Kiddles is happy watching her cartoons right now and I'm finishing up a boring bowl of oatmeal....should have done more to spice it up, but not gonna now!

Tomorrow morning the temp will be negative 18. Uh, that's right that is the air temp not the wind chill! Now you know why we won't be going anywhere for two days! Although I'll need to go out and start my car I think. Got a new battery so I'm going to google if you really need to do that or not....

Everyone stay safe and warm! I'll be back!

kuddles

went in at 8 for re-check,when she fired up the computer,she found a note that the Doc called in sick,so now scheduled for tomorrow at the downtown office at 8 am,unless he calls in sick a second day

went in at 8 for re-check,when she fired up the computer,she found a note that the Doc called in sick,so now scheduled for tomorrow at the downtown office at 8 am,unless he calls in sick a second day

Ugh!

Good morning ladies!

Morning!

My nose is frozen....and I'm sitting inside! What the @#&?

18 below is sure cold in my book, and that is without windchill???

We lost the wind here, guess it went your way kuddles, but at least you got a day off, maybe two!!

Doc called in sick, nice they told you that, or did they, before you got there??

Morning or early afternoon to everyone else...

One name or make that two, were removed from the list, one requested, as her hubby is sick, the other, pm'd herseveral times, as to weather she received some squares and no answer, no post, no nuttin,.... If she requests a come back, I will tell her she must be more prompt in thanking people for squares sent, it;s just common courtesy,,,,,So,PLEASE  remember  to check your list, before mailing, to make sure you are getting an active member, and a current addy, or you may be in for a world of hurt, lol

Queen Anne, lol your reign is ending soon, do you have any thoughts on your reign, do you keep a list of whom sent you squares, and how many, I tried to do that during my queen reign, and it helps. I also keep lists of whom I send to, how many, and when, per month, keeps me organized I guess and can tell at a glance whom hasn't received for a while from me at least......]

Queen to come, hope you are preparing for the rains, cause I think it will shower down squares on you!!! Get yourself an umbrella grilie!!!!!!!! lol

Gotta run out, got to get a couple things, and maybe something for lunch, Im having homemade enchillada's tonight, with hamburger all crumbled, shredded cheese, no bean, we hate the beans, and some onions, and then dump on some beef gravy over it all, put it in the oven, for maybe 15 minutes, sprinkle with more cheese, and eat um all up!!!!!!!!! good eatin!!

I only have the small tortilla shells, but that will work too, just more of them, lol

Usually use the bigger ones, cause I can use those in the Quesadia maker too, for yummy good quesadias! And soon, I will mix and bake off a chocolate cake, cool it, and frost it, and have that for a couple days around, if it lasts that long!! lol

Im chilly too and haven't ventured out yet, hope my car starts too, it too has a new battery, but the freezing cold can still zap the juice from even a new battery so I am told....Happened once this year, already, and handydan says, if it happens again, he will return said battery, as it is not even a year old yet, and has a 5 year guarantee on it!!!

its 5 here right now today, high of m aybe 15, then bck down to the minus's this evening, and overnight..Chicago, sure is getting dumped on lately, both with snow, and the frigid cold.......miserable winter, so far,and Im with Kuddle, Stick a fork in me, I am waaaay past done with winter!!!!!!

Hi Ya Girls!!!  Yes, I'm freezing too!  Enough is enough!  Let the summer sunshine begin!  :sun  We had to venture out for my usual Monday morning appt to have my port access changed and of course it was drizzling, cold and just downright miserable driving.  The good thing is that they wrap me up in a warm blanket for the procedure.  I sure would like one of those things at home, lol.  I just can't get the chill out of me.  Every once in a while I wander by the pellet stove to warm up, but there isn't any lighting there, so it's too hard to crochet, lol.  Ahhh, I'll just keep warming up my cup of coffee and holding it in my hands to warm up, lol.  

Katie, it's so hard to believe that my reign is almost over.  Where did the month go?  To answer your question, yes, I do keep a list of who has sent me squares and how many they have sent.  I'd never keep track if I didn't, lol.   My count still stands at 16 squares received.  :queen   I also try to keep a list of who I send to and the squares I send them.  I must confess that I used to be much better at that than I am now, but I try, lol.  I had gone thru just about the entire list at least once at one point, but I know that I need to get to some of the newbies now.  

Cindy, I love your new square!  Are you going to post the pattern?

Kuddles, thanks for posting the link to April's new squares!  I love her patterns, just wish I had the $$$ to buy them.  Unfortunately the pockets are empty right now.  I'll keep them on my wish list so I'll remember to go back to them.

Owlvamp, glad you had a good weekend!

Greenowl, welcome!  I see that you have been shown some sites for weaving in ends.  It's a task few of us care for, but must get done.  Who knows, you may enjoy it, lol!

pineknott, Ugh, sure hope the dr is there tomorrow or at least they call you in advance if he won't be.  (((hugs)))  Feel better...

Hey Katie!  Your dinner sounds wonderful!   Wish I could eat it, oh well, such is life, lol.    Thanks for the heads up on the list.  I had just checked it a couple weeks ago.  Will recheck it again.   Enjoy that chocolate cake, yum! LOL!

18 below is sure cold in my book, and that is without windchill???

We lost the wind here, guess it went your way kuddles, but at least you got a day off, maybe two!!

Doc called in sick, nice they told you that, or did they, before you got there??

Morning or early afternoon to everyone else...

One name or make that two, were removed from the list, one requested, as her hubby is sick, the other, pm'd herseveral times, as to weather she received some squares and no answer, no post, no nuttin,.... If she requests a come back, I will tell her she must be more prompt in thanking people for squares sent, it;s just common courtesy,,,,,So,PLEASE  remember  to check your list, before mailing, to make sure you are getting an active member, and a current addy, or you may be in for a world of hurt, lol

Queen Anne, lol your reign is ending soon, do you have any thoughts on your reign, do you keep a list of whom sent you squares, and how many, I tried to do that during my queen reign, and it helps. I also keep lists of whom I send to, how many, and when, per month, keeps me organized I guess and can tell at a glance whom hasn't received for a while from me at least......]

Queen to come, hope you are preparing for the rains, cause I think it will shower down squares on you!!! Get yourself an umbrella grilie!!!!!!!! lol

Gotta run out, got to get a couple things, and maybe something for lunch, Im having homemade enchillada's tonight, with hamburger all crumbled, shredded cheese, no bean, we hate the beans, and some onions, and then dump on some beef gravy over it all, put it in the oven, for maybe 15 minutes, sprinkle with more cheese, and eat um all up!!!!!!!!! good eatin!!

I only have the small tortilla shells, but that will work too, just more of them, lol

Usually use the bigger ones, cause I can use those in the Quesadia maker too, for yummy good quesadias! And soon, I will mix and bake off a chocolate cake, cool it, and frost it, and have that for a couple days around, if it lasts that long!! lol

Im chilly too and haven't ventured out yet, hope my car starts too, it too has a new battery, but the freezing cold can still zap the juice from even a new battery so I am told....Happened once this year, already, and handydan says, if it happens again, he will return said battery, as it is not even a year old yet, and has a 5 year guarantee on it!!!

its 5 here right now today, high of m aybe 15, then bck down to the minus's this evening, and overnight..Chicago, sure is getting dumped on lately, both with snow, and the frigid cold.......miserable winter, so far,and Im with Kuddle, Stick a fork in me, I am waaaay past done with winter!!!!!!

Katy

office opens at 8,appt.at 8,when she fired up the computer that's when she knew and started calling people

I'd like to see him have a speedy recovery,and be in his office tomorrow,we'll see,hope it doesn't drag into Wednesday,ugh this thing is tight and I want something a tad bit looser

Hi, gals!  I won't rub it in that it's not cold here, but let it be known that I'm not happy about it.  There.  That's over with :D

There's nothing new going on here.  I wish there were in terms of work.  I'll keep praying that it improves.  It's hard living on only one income.

Everybody have a lovely Monday.  Keep warm :hug

It's now -4 and falling......yippee!

I've been making some new WW recipes and surfing the net...too much! Gotta get off here!

kuddles

Yikes that's cold!  At least you'll eat good, lol.  See ya later Kuddles.  Maybe drink some warm tea to warm up.  

It is really nice here today. Been letting the puppies run as much as I can. Tank just loves to run and run.

Awww, that's nice.  I'm glad you're having a good day.  I love watching the dogs run  they are fun to watch play, lol.

Hi, gals!  I won't rub it in that it's not cold here, but let it be known that I'm not happy about it.  There.  That's over with :D

There's nothing new going on here.  I wish there were in terms of work.  I'll keep praying that it improves.  It's hard living on only one income.

Everybody have a lovely Monday.  Keep warm :hug

We'd be happy to send you some cold, lol.  I understand about living on one income, been there.  I'll keep you in my prayers...

Katy

office opens at 8,appt.at 8,when she fired up the computer that's when she knew and started calling people

I'd like to see him have a speedy recovery,and be in his office tomorrow,we'll see,hope it doesn't drag into Wednesday,ugh this thing is tight and I want something a tad bit looser

Praying that the dr is feeling better and is in his office tomorrow so that you can feel better!  Isn't there someone else in the office that can look at it if he isn't available?

I tried to make the bigger squares I had planned out...they looked better on paper. Oh well! I'll start working on a pattern for the smaller ones. Does anyone know how to post patterns on Ravelry?

I also tried to make gluten free cinnamon rolls for the first time today. Oh, that was terrible! The dough stuck to everything making it nearly impossible to roll out and then to roll back up. This poor, hormonal, preggo lady was reduced to tears at one point. Its been 1.5 years since I've had a cinnamon roll. I just wanted a cinnamon roll! After much fighting with the dough and hatching ways to deal, I ended up with 5 cinnamon "rolls" (well, one of them came out nice) and 3 cinnamon balls (the dough broke up so bad, all I could do was squish it into a ball to keep it together. They didn't cook through, though. I hate that about gluten free baking. If I EVER decide to fight this fight again, I will make them half the size and bake them in a muffin tin. Hopefully that does the trick. They were also too sweet, so I'll leave off the topping next time. Over all, I guess I'm about 50% satisfied. I guess that's better than 0%.

My crochet task for the evening is to walk my stepmom through the pattern for my heart celtic knot hexagon motif (as seen in my avatar). She is making a baby blanket for her great-nephew, but hasn't worked on it for a while, now she can't remember how to decipher my pattern. I need to sit down and work through it once to make sure I can help her since its been a while for me too! After than, I'm going to work on writing the pattern out so that its easier to understand because I'm thinking of selling it. Its such a cool design!

Archived