Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Geez, where is my brain, lol.  I just realized that I asked if I had shown you my Advent Scarf and then off I went and didn't show you!  :lol   Well, here it is.  Hope you like it.  I had a blast in the CAL  Melinda Miller has some wonderful patterns.  This scarf, of course, will go to Compassionate Creations, as most of my scarves do.

post-16860-0-43778200-1390432270_thumb.jpg  The pattern has a join as you go, but I was having trouble understanding the directions, so I just did my thing, (it looks almost the same), and I followed her directions for the border.

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, just stopping in real quick like.  I haven't had a chance to go over all the posts yet, but wanted to let ya'll know we are cold here in Louisiana!!!  I know waking up in the 20's isn't cold to some since, like my mom said today "I would love for it just to get to 20!"  but it is cold here!  Wish it would hurry up and get warm again!  Hope everyone is healthy and steady hooking!  Be blessed everyone, stay encouraged and know there are lots of skeins of yarn out there that need to be bought! LOL!

Lisa

wow Kuddles, us too, cold is cold, and minus 5 is going to be our low too tonight!!!!!!!!

Snow shower, huge flakes, lasted all of 10 minutes probably...No accumulation, streets not even wet.....

Hi Sandra, good to hear hubby is recovering and you are hovering, lol Don't your arms get tired flapping like that?? Treading air????  he he he..

Got a brunch tomorrow, its at a local restaurant, we changed up the rules of brunch a bit, the one that is hosting that particular month's brunch, now has a choice between her house, or choosing a local eating spot, and everyone paying for their own....

I will always choose eating out,for several reasons, I stress so much about what to serve, and getting it right, and cleaning the house, which I do anyway, but making it Brunch Clean, which takes more work, lol nooks and cranny sort of things, and the other reasons being, it's actually cheaper to just pay for my own brunch out, than to try to work on a budget and feed something great to 6 or 7 including me, people.......and then there is the so and so can't eat onions, this one can eat onions but no green peppers, or beef, this one over there, she only can drink tea, not coffee, yada yada yada, this way, at the restaurant, you can ORDER your food to be compatible with YOUR specifications, and if it isn't right, send it back, lol and order something else........

I got to the point too, that is was getting so hard to think of sometihing new, and then me being me, would have to try out the recipie BEFORE serving it to the ladies, so I really most usually did do a preview, and a real brunch, lol and that ran into money as well, this is better, I th in k, and for me, it will always be out, lol   

And too, less stress on the pets too, as they fuss about people being in THEIR house, and so on and so forth....Out is better, in my opinion....But those of them that choose to have it at their house, I will still come, just for me, i would prefer it to be done at a rest.

Last month, i got the waitress to play along, as to Santa gifts, and she was wonderful, she came to the table, as previously arranged, called my by name, and said Santa had left something for me, and brought out my bag of goodies for the ladies, for me to pass out......So it went really nice! And they loved their sashay scarves and little goodies!

Well, i have rambled tonight, lol so sorry..

My crochet seems to still be on hiatus, I needed like 6 more 6 inch traditional grannys to finish a row on the ghan, and it took me all dang day to get down to doing it!! I timed myself once, and for a traditional easy granny square of 6 inches, it usually only takes me 12-15 minutes, depending on color changes, and ends to weave, i was wayy behind that time today for some reason, and having difficulty focussing, and chosing what colors went with what,,,,,grrrrrrrr. time for a break, huh, lol..

sigh, so steering clear of the craft room for tonight, maybe get a fresh outlook after brunch tomorrow.

Ok, well everyone do take care, those of us that are in the deep freeze, keep warm, those of us that are healing and or recovering, feel better soon, and those of us in need of a hug, here you be!   :ghug

Drum roll PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here it is the long awaited and well over due Friendshipghan Enjoy

FB4A12AA-orig.jpg

BF5EE819-orig.jpg

D9CE99DB-orig.jpg

Couldnt get them all in one picture.  Not tall enough lol

AWESOME!!  Did you crochet around  each square and then join them or something else?

I'm back, boy was I out of it,don't remember them giving me gingerale or coffee in recovery,lft there came home at 3;30 and slept till 8

swollen a lot but I guess that's the area they worked on,soon will take the pain meds

Bummer. The school I was supposed to work at tomorrow closed due to inclement weather. Well, I still get 2 hours of pay (due to less than 24 hr notice of cancellation) so its not a total loss. My daughter's school is cancelled too so I guess I'll just have to spend all day loving on my girls! (in a clean house!)

My crochet task for tomorrow is to make 2 kitty tails. The girls have kitty "costumes" that don't have tails. I must remedy this situation...by order of my 6yo.

Good morning!

Pineknott - hope you recover nicely! Hugs to you!

Frigid out there, glad my car is in the garage. Dangerous wind chill to 25 below........then we are to get snow all weekend, then temps below zero again early next week! I can't remember a winter like this is a lot of years! Guess we were due for one like this!

Hugs to all, stay warm and dry!

kuddles

Good morning ladies!

Hope you all stay warm and stay inside if you can.

I finished Cody's blanket last night. Just need to make the appliqué monkey to attach it and will take pictures to show.

Hello my lovely Squares!  I'll make this quick since I keep falling asleep.  Hope I don't do it in the middle of a sentance, lol.  It's cold here too.  I'm staying indoors and you can't make me go out, that's that! LOL!  I'm going to take a nap and then hopefully will have some energy for crocheting. I want to work on my scarf and blanket today.  Have a great day and stay warm and safe everyone! 

Oh granny the scarf is darling!         HI snowflake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks sweetie!

I'm back, boy was I out of it,don't remember them giving me gingerale or coffee in recovery,lft there came home at 3;30 and slept till 8

swollen a lot but I guess that's the area they worked on,soon will take the pain meds

Lol, maybe they gave you something stronger?  Glad it's over with and praying you have a speedy recovery...

Bummer. The school I was supposed to work at tomorrow closed due to inclement weather. Well, I still get 2 hours of pay (due to less than 24 hr notice of cancellation) so its not a total loss. My daughter's school is cancelled too so I guess I'll just have to spend all day loving on my girls! (in a clean house!)

My crochet task for tomorrow is to make 2 kitty tails. The girls have kitty "costumes" that don't have tails. I must remedy this situation...by order of my 6yo.

oh no, tail less kitties!  Can't have that! LOL!  Sorry about the hours, but you do get a nice bonus of spending time with your girls :)

Good morning!

Frigid out there, glad my car is in the garage. Dangerous wind chill to 25 below........then we are to get snow all weekend, then temps below zero again early next week! I can't remember a winter like this is a lot of years! Guess we were due for one like this!

kuddles

Brrrrrr!!!!!   my goodness, please be careful and be safe out there in that weather.  This is ridiculous cold!

Good morning ladies!

I finished Cody's blanket last night. Just need to make the appliqué monkey to attach it and will take pictures to show.

Awesome!  Looking forward to seeing it!

I got to go to work this morning and take kids to school on my way. Too cold. At these temps it should be illegal to be outside

I agree.  It's way too cold for me!  It's dangerous too.

after all that sleeping yesterday,I woke up and stayed up at 3;30 a m

Oh no, lol,  hopefully you'll get a nap in today and get back on schedule.  You don't want to end up with a sleep routine like me, lol.

Hi Honex, good to see your post, dragnlady that is a gorgeous ghan!!! Nice job!

AWESOME!!  Did you crochet around  each square and then join them or something else?

Poor Linda, but glad that part of it is over for you!

It IS too cold, here too, better tomorrow, me thinks though, so will wait for that.. Our brunch was canceled last evening for today, as it was just too cold for some of the ladies to be out in in!!

Good morning!

kuddles

Hi Sandra, love to see the pic when you are done!!

Good morning ladies!

yes, agreed too cold for the kiddies to be out waiting on a dang bus to come too, I think a lot of the times, around here anyway, that is how they make their decision to close for the day, busses, problems with them, and too cold for kids to be waiting on them..

I got to go to work this morning and take kids to school on my way. Too cold. At these temps it should be illegal to be outside

Good for you Cindy, taking the day to spend with kids, and your Hook, hopefully, lol

Yep it's really cold out here to. Took daughter to her swimming practice and dang is it cold and the wind just blowing. Back inside until I need to pick her up.

I talked to my boss about billing for cancellation due to inclement weather. She said that most interpreters don't bill for that, despite the "less than 24 hrs rule" since no one was at fault. She said it is an individual decision though, not a policy. So, I think I'm not going to bill my 2 hour minimum. I really need the money, and I am allowed to bill it if I want to, I just don't feel like I can now. I hope God honors that.

I did get a call today offering me an assignment for tomorrow. No details yet and I may not know until morning (this job can be so last minute sometimes!). Dh has the day off so he can be with our 3 yo. It will be a minimum of $56 (depending on driving conditions due to the snow and how long the appointment goes). I know $56 doesn't sound like a lot but for us its a Godsend!

I had a great time with the girls today. They were really good for me (my 3 yr old is usually...um...challenging) so it was nice to spend some positive time with her. Half the time, I just sat back and watched the girls interact. Kids have such amazing imaginations! I remember having a very vivid imagination as a child but it is lost now. I do enjoy watching them imagine though! I also got lots of "kitty" snuggles. Sigh, I love my girls!

I never get tired of seeing that picture of dragnlady's afghan! It just came out so beautifully.

Pineknott, how miserable to have to have surgery in this weather! I'm so glad it's done and you're home again safe and sound. We haven't had snow (yet; we're hearing it's coming this weekend) but the temps have been dangerously bitter again and it's just not nice.

HA! Cindy, I just looked at your Etsy shop. I don't need anything now, but I love all of it! I'm a sucker for things that look like food that are not food. :D

I'm trying very hard to be good with money though. I just made an expensive Christmas ornament purchase - like coming from my long term savings expensive. They're ones that I've looked at in previous years so it's not *exactly* an impulse purchase, and the money going to pay for them has been sitting in my savings account for a rainy day since I was on unemployment - in 2008. But even with all that, part of me is going "YOU SPENT HOW MUCH ON SOME G-D- CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS??!"  :no So now every time I think of buying something I picture those ornaments and then I don't buy it.

Ok, want to get some gaming in tonight, so I'm going to go finish my baby blanket target for the night and then relax for a bit! Maybe if I work hard on my projects for other people I'll stop feeling so guilty. (You should have seen me when I bought my new laptop. The old one was 8+ years and for our jobs we really both needed new ones. But paying for a whole laptop?? I suffered buyer's remorse for weeks.)

I talked to my boss about billing for cancellation due to inclement weather. She said that most interpreters don't bill for that, despite the "less than 24 hrs rule" since no one was at fault. She said it is an individual decision though, not a policy. So, I think I'm not going to bill my 2 hour minimum. I really need the money, and I am allowed to bill it if I want to, I just don't feel like I can now. I hope God honors that.

I did get a call today offering me an assignment for tomorrow. No details yet and I may not know until morning (this job can be so last minute sometimes!). Dh has the day off so he can be with our 3 yo. It will be a minimum of $56 (depending on driving conditions due to the snow and how long the appointment goes). I know $56 doesn't sound like a lot but for us its a Godsend!

I had a great time with the girls today. They were really good for me (my 3 yr old is usually...um...challenging) so it was nice to spend some positive time with her. Half the time, I just sat back and watched the girls interact. Kids have such amazing imaginations! I remember having a very vivid imagination as a child but it is lost now. I do enjoy watching them imagine though! I also got lots of "kitty" snuggles. Sigh, I love my girls!

Will pray today's job goes through! I sure understand feeling like 56 bucks is a lot of money!

I'm trying very hard to be good with money though. I just made an expensive Christmas ornament purchase - like coming from my long term savings expensive. They're ones that I've looked at in previous years so it's not *exactly* an impulse purchase, and the money going to pay for them has been sitting in my savings account for a rainy day since I was on unemployment - in 2008. But even with all that, part of me is going "YOU SPENT HOW MUCH ON SOME G-D- CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS??!"  :no So now every time I think of buying something I picture those ornaments and then I don't buy it.

Ok, want to get some gaming in tonight, so I'm going to go finish my baby blanket target for the night and then relax for a bit! Maybe if I work hard on my projects for other people I'll stop feeling so guilty. (You should have seen me when I bought my new laptop. The old one was 8+ years and for our jobs we really both needed new ones. But paying for a whole laptop?? I suffered buyer's remorse for weeks.)

Sometimes we just have to splurge! If I didn't now and then, I'd go insane! My splurges now are a few skeins of yarn, but still a splurge to me!

Oh - I finished the space pjs! He was thrilled to pieces. :D

attachicon.gif375735_10100660805148076_639240451_n.jpg

How adorable!

Another early morning for me. Woke up at 4, needed to go to the bathroom, then couldn't get back to sleep. So I just got up and logged on to see what my Squares were up to!

Gonna be a heat wave today of 20! Woot! But high winds so drifting snow and I have to drive to the state office today (only 20 minutes, but all forest preserves on the way). But it's Friday so I CAN do it!

Funny story from my work: our business manager, a guy maybe late 30s, has been with his girlfriend for over 10 years. Nice guy, kind of quiet, but dry sense of humor so I like to chat with him now and then. Doesn't talk much personal. Well, last Monday, he wasn't coming to work so emailed his department with a quick email that said "I won't be in today. I had a baby." What the ??? Yes his gal had a baby that Sunday, he never told anyone in his dept! The only person he told was his boss (the director) and he didn't tell her till Dec 20!

Men!

Well, have a super great day Squares!

kuddles

Oh - I finished the space pjs! He was thrilled to pieces. :D

attachicon.gif375735_10100660805148076_639240451_n.jpg

Sooooo cute!

Cindy, hope the job works out today.

Kuddles, be careful out there in that weather. And you're right it's Friday which makes everything do-able  :lol, that's what is getting me through the day anyway.

Have a fantastic Friday everyone!

Archived