Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Thanks Skoggy. ADORABLE!! I wish I had some sewing skills. Well, I think I'd do fine, if I could work my sewing machine properly. I have no idea what's wrong with it, so I haven't used it in 1.5 years! And my pile of mending keeps growing, and growing....

The wind has pick up. Enter: arctic temperatures. We just got a text from my daughter's school that classes are canceled tomorrow due to dangerous wind chill conditions.

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh but really owlvamp, I'd LOVE to share! It's still coming down and the winds are pretty high. At least I already know there is no school tomorrow plus my work cancelled so that is good!

kuddles

Yikes Mandy! Stay safe!

We're at 10 inches right now, with drifts up to my knees! (and I'm 5'8", so that's pretty high!) My sister and I tried to shovel and it's just way too much. Keeping my fingers crossed that my work actually closes tomorrow so I don't have to try to get out in this mess.

I finished four receiving blankets today. Getting ready to start on the next one and then need to tie a blanket and get the diaper bag started. I love sewing and pretty much taught myself to do it. Mom just hemmed pants. Something I despise to do.

You missy, have been extreemly productive, and busy as a bee, do post pics!!

Hi guys!  this is the 4th time I've tried posting.  They keep disappearing.  I don't have it in me to go back thru everything, I,m so sorry.  we have the -15 degree temps.too.  cold, tired, thinking of you all, trying to crochet/knit.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Hugs....

Hi ann, glad you finally got through!! Rest a bit and come back when you can.

Since bananas are giving you problems...

I just googled the top 10 foods highest in potassium:

All of these have more potassium than a banana (422 mg)!

White beans--1 cup cooked--1004 mg--all other beans are really good too; better than bananas.

Dark leafy greens (spinach)--1 cup cooked--839 mg--Swiss Chard is good too! 

Baked potato with skin--926 mg

Baked acorn squash--1 cup cubed--899 mg

Dried apricots--1/2 cup--755 mg

Yogurt, plain--1 cup--625 mg

Salmon--one 3-oz fillet--534 mg

Avocado--1/2 cup pureed--558 mg

Mushrooms--1 cup sliced--428 mg

Oh such nice info Cindy, thank you for us all!!

we got that one Grannie.

Indeed we did, and how are you miss dragnlady?? Holding up??

Cindy thanks for tips. I love reading about them ..

me too.

Its 2:00 am and all 4 of us are awake  :2eek.  I have no idea why! We each went potty and had a snack, now we're off to bed to try to sleep. Combined with this fact, and the fact that its still snowing outside and is subzero, I'm not sure church is happening in the morning!

Go figure, huh!!

Well howdy all! Woke up to about another 6 inches of snow.....this time of year makes me glad to live in a condo so I scoop nothing! It's a balmy 17 out......I think Kiddles and I will run to the mall to walk a bit later then I will hit Joanns where the RHSS is on sale and I have a 25% off entire purchase coupon. I want to get a few of the colors I use all the time.....

Then back home to stay! Since we are to get another 4 inches and the temps drop throughout the day, once we get home, we will be home probably till Tuesday. I really hope they cancel school that day too, it will still be dangerously cold out there! I feel bad for pets and homeless at times like this, I pray they all stay safe!

Oh and finished another daisy square last nite. Feels good to be crocheting again. Sad it was because we got rid of Lucky but from the last I heard from the new owner, he is thriving and happy so I'm happy for him!

Hugs!

kuddles

So you did your errand, now you are home and staying there, nice to have a day or two off, you two both enjoy it, I know my dd school too, was the last ever to post, but I had decided in most cases, she was staying home regardless, anyways, lol

Good morning! We have a TON of snow right now and the roads are really bad! They are predicting that the St. Louis area is going to get 8-12 inches today and some areas may see closer to 15 inches. My sister and I have a roast in the crock pot for dinner, and we're staying in and crocheting and working on our puzzle!

Crochet and puzzle away the time ladies, have fun, enjoy your relaxation day!!

Oh, Im going there next!! THank you!

dragnlady!!

kuddles,,,,,    BBBRRRR<<<<<<<looks like a winter wonderland, we have very little if any snow left on the ground, but it is cold out!!  

skoggy the kids are adorable, so cute!!

ok, right, the above post IS long, no argument, but I got an exceeded the max. post warning, and had to readjust some things, lol, never had that before, and for all of you out there wondering, it must be 10 is the max for multiquoting, cause i had to remove two! and I had twelve, it's the only way, I can keep track of answering them, lol so sorry for the long multi quotes, I don't know how to shorten them, never even thought of it, lol

The current wind chill is -24! Its supposed to be -50 by 8am. This is crazy! I have sucky apartment windows so the high, fridgid winds are making them even more drafty. I'm not sure how to combat it. We have a space heater (a safe one, placed in a safe location) in the girls' room to keep it from getting too cold.

I want to crochet something but I have so many WIPs that I can't decide which to work on!

Hi, Everyone!

I'm back! Wow...it took me a couple of hours to catch up!! So much went on while I was away that I really don't think it's possible to respond to everything. Please know that for each trouble I read, I sent out thoughts of hugs, and for each obstacle someone conquered, I cheered along with you.

December 13th-today has been a blur...we went to KY for my husband's grandfather's funeral, I went back to work after my medical leave for surgery, gave the ACT as a side job, went to Universal Studios with my husband and 14 year old daughter, had 2 Christmases (which means I had to cram in tons of holiday shopping on a very tight budget), I interviewed and got a new job in a different school district that I start on Jan. 21st (I'll be an EC teacher (special education for kids who are in a regular classroom); currently, I teach 7th grade English/Language Arts, so this position has a learning curve), and I did a 2 day judging spree for an overnight speech and debate tournament that was 2 hours away. My family and I got home at one last night. Today, I did nothing but catch up on here. Tomorrow, I go back to work from Christmas break. I've been too busy for my liking.

I'm thankful to be back here. Guess what? I logged on, and had a message (I don't know if I should share who it was or not) from a member who requested my addy to send me a square. It'll be my first!! I'm soooo excited!!! *Sigh* It's so good to be back...I haven't felt "at home" in a very long time, and now I do.

Stay warm and safe!

<3

Yikes -50 windchills,please stay safe

I was making split pea soup with the left over ham from new years

along come hubby aren't you going to put paprika in it with a rue?( bacon fat some flour and paprika)

I smile sweetly and say my soup doesn't call for paprika,he persists,again Mine doesn't call for that !

between clenched teeth that's your mom's way,and she raved at how good it was,lol

Katy Thanks for asking. I am doing really good. I have my tearful moments. Today i cried While talking to the Sister in law. Only because of her undrestanding and love for me in the situation. Taking care of one of my clients today and told her about it and her hubby over heard. While i was sitting at the table doing my paper work he walked in kitchen gave me a hug and a kiss on forehead. I had to go clean the bathroom so i could cry.  But most of the time i have been good.  Mananged to  crochet some last night and today.  It is begining to snow here it has rained allllll day. Tomorrow morning wind chill will be -20.

Everyone stay warm. Be safe and if you must go out take blankets a few snacks some water and a full gas tank.

it is below zero here, about -3 right now and dropping till it reaches a low of like -12 in the am....Wind is wild and rattling my nerves, I hate wind.....cold icy wind especially!

Dragnlady, you are doing remarkable well, and I admire your strength, determination, and faith, and I know you will get through it, thank goodness for your sil, and family....

Welcome back into the fold Jillipop!! Life gets in the way sometimes and keeps us from doing those things we would rather be doing, but it all works out in the end, congratz on the new job as well!!

Pineknott I know I am not supposed to laugh at your mil tales, but they tickle me a little bit, and I smile anyways, you are so tolerant, and patient!! And you seem to keep your sense of humor too!

Cindy you stay in if possible, and keep both you and baby warm dry and safe!!

I have several packages to go out later on this week, and when I mail, I will post whom the recipients are, ok, might be wednesday or thursday, at the latest, waiting for the bitter cold to pass a bit!!

Wind chill here is....one sec, let me check the latest. Ok, it's -4 right now, looking to be -12 by morning, wind chill at -35.....sheesh, what is this! Heat is up, sweaters are on, hot coco brewing!! Take care all of you in similar weather conditions, and we will survive this, it's just that it is so uncomfortable to be cold!

Hi everybody,

The weather is cold here and we think that there may be snow on Thursday. I am unable to change the size of the font or the color even though I am using the full editor. I had discovered that I could change the color and the font if I did not use the quick reply box, but instead used the full editor,and now for some reason, the full editor does not work for me.

Today I stayed in and watched television and did some knitting on my afghan. I am knitting a stashghan. I had planned to knit this afghan, but I did not realize that I had quite this much yarn. I had first thought that I might make granny squares or granny's daughters, but I decided that I had rather knit and so I decided to knit a strip about 2

inches wide of each color. However, instead of one strip, I decided to knit 8 strips of each color and to make the strips about 2 inches high. I have so far knit qite a few strips. I have orange, navy blue, light blue, sky blue, lavendar, mulberry (a wine red), cherry red, and I just started orchid strips today and when I finish them, the next color is amythist (sp?). I have eight strips of each color mentioned except the orchid I started today (I have 3 of them so far. I will finish this color tomorrow or the next day)and I have not started the amythist (sp?) yet. Stay warm everybody!

To help keep the cold wind coming put plastic on your windows. If that doesn't work. If you have extra blankets hang those. It really helps a lot.

everyone stay safe and warm

Off to bed I go. Really tired tonight. Good night!

Just popping in to say Hello. I tried to post a message yesterday but the computer was not cooperating and then I got busy with church and grandkids and then I was tired. I'm back at work today so it will be a busy day. Have a great day everyone.

Morning all..........like most of you, super cold this morning. SO grateful that school/work closed! I am so grateful to all those that must work outside in this weather! The people who plow the snow, the police and fireman, utilities workers trying to get the electricity back on for some........these are the heros in this stuff!

Kiddles and I are hunkered down for the day. She will watch a lot of cartoons this morning, do some homework (practicing reading and multiplication) and maybe watch a movie later......I'm SO thankful that our electricity has stayed on! I was most worried about that!

Me? I plan to ease into my day.....then work on some WIPs....I have had several crochet bags that needed lined and handles put on. I'm going to finish those off if I can. I have a box of completed items I keep on hand for gifts and these will be added. I want to start another purse for me (fabric) but we'll see if that happens today. There is a chance we'll be home again tomorrow........gotta keep something for then!

Stay warm and safe all!

kuddles

Good morning! My office ended up closing today (apparently this is the first time they've closed due to weather), but they didn't call it until after 6:00am, so I'm already showered and wide awake! I'm staying indoors today; it's -6 degrees with a wind chill of -27. Brr!

Good morning !

It's not so bad here. It is raining so living everything muddy. Yuck I don't like mud. By the back door put some hay so hopefully the puppies won't bring in to much of their muddy paws. Will have to plant some grass seeds when can.

I will get to the pictures today. I finished four burp cloths and a ducky quilt and two receiving blankets. I really love the way they turned out. Going to put his name on a couple I think. I will see what time allows.

Hope everyone is staying warm.

My mom is stranded at work (she works 3rd shift as a nurse). Her car won't start, maybe because of the cold. The wind chill is currently -48!

If its her battery, she will be towed to nearest auto shop and then she will probably stay here with me. She has to drive down a country road to get home and the tow trucks were called off because they couldn't keep up with the drifting snow. She almost didn't make it to work last night so she isn't expecting to make it back home.

If its just child related, and they are going to tow her home, that's what she's gonna do.

Wow!!  Everyone is freezing cold, so it would seem rather balmy here at 43 degrees!  Don't be too jealous...temps are going to start dropping by the hour and by tomorrow it will be 3.  I guess that might still be considered really warm since a lot of you are experiencing -42 wind chill!!   Well, it was back to work for me today.  The kids are really talkative and do NOT want to be back in school.  I understand...getting back into the groove of things is always difficult.  The kids still don't know that I'm leaving to start a new job.  I was advised to not tell them until the day before I was leaving.  It's going to be a tough conversation to have, and I'm going to miss them tons, but this is what's best for my family, so...

Well, I'll try to pop in later.  Stay warm everyone!!

Here is what happens when I get an unexpected day at home: I line two crochet bags and set up myself to do more! The orange/yellow/pink bag, I made probably 2 years ago and it just needed lined! The colorful one, my FL friend sent me when I admired it when she posted it on facebook but needed lined and she doesn't do lining......I had the perfect fabric to line it! I think they are both outstanding if I do say so myself!

post-17419-0-67821200-1389028750_thumb.jpg

post-17419-0-93591500-1389028758_thumb.jpg

post-17419-0-31008200-1389028767_thumb.jpg

post-17419-0-06869100-1389028774_thumb.jpg

I have two receiving blankets done but want to put his name on them. Will show after they have the name.

Then three more receiving blankets to sew and a couple burp clothes and tie blanket and I will be all finished.

Archived