Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, fair ribbons, panty hose eating, scarf making, this thread is poppin' today!!

I did get a few things I wanted to get done, done today, lol I did clean out the fridge, to make room for my trifle, which I will make tomorrow night and let stand, and my casserole  which also I make ahead, and then just bake the morning of the brunch.

and I did wash some throw rugs and laid them out side to dry, which they did in a couple hours, such a nice day today..*those links are recipies that are so similar to mine, i will just use them, and substitue diced ham for the sausage, as some can't eat sausage.....but the trifle is exactly like mine! ..

And I dug out my good napkins, and table cloth, and washed all the coffee mugs, I don't drink coffee, so they tend to get dusty in the cupboard over time, lol. Handydandyman has his own couple of travel mugs he uses....

Put assorted tea packets, cocoa packets, sweetner packets all in a nice bin I can p ut on the table, you never know, we always at least have two that drink diet coke, me and another gal, one or two that like tea, instead of coffee, and one that usually either asks for bottled water, or hot cocoa, so there you have it, the rest will drink coffee, or juice or both.

I was going to make the casserole in single serving sizes, i have a dozen or so ceramic tiny loaf pans, but putting it all in one larger glass pan, is faster, and easier I guess.....We'll see...

I enjoy hosting the brunch, but am certainly ok with only doing it once or possibly twice a year, lol as we all alternate months....I still haven't decided, what to set out for them, usually they get something Ive made several of, I guess I could give them my birdie nest things, in honor of fall is here now. and thank goodness, I didnt' get halloween month or thanksgiving month this time, cause I have nothing made so far for those months, lol

I told everyone to bring a pic of themselves when they were younger, this should be fun! Course mine will be simple to guess, as I haven't changed at all since oh 1982, HA HA HA...

Kuddles, you did the right thing taking lucky in, sheesh, what an ordeal, we had a cat once, surprisingly enough also named Lucky, as well, that ate some string, well, we had to have surgery for him, and whilst they were untangling that mess, they removed a toe or something, that wasn't normal, i don't remember exactly, and stitched that up as well, with black suture....

My daughter was young at the time, and we got Lucky home, truly living up to his name he was fine, but the sutures were supposed to be disolving sutures, and hadn't y et, so he had little stubs of black suture still in his paw, and my daughter took one look at that, and quite hysterical said. " MOM!! THey made that string he swallowed come out his foot now!!"    After laughing my head off, silently inside of course, I explained about the foot......To this day, she swears they didn't get it all, and it worked it s way out his foot!

Angelroselite, we are sooooo proud of you, all those ribbons  young lady, y ou did a very good fair! Made quite a showing!

Congratz Maria!!

Owlyvamp, umm, were you bored today, lol I checked on the top posters, and OMG, there were seven of us, with owlvamp leading the way, with something like 46 posts today!!!!!!!!! wowzers@!   Busy sandra today!! lol Congratz on that number too!!

How is our Queenie Honex doing, no word from her for a while, hope all is well... ANd all you others that haven't posted in a while, miss ya!  Oh, and I saw two hummingbirds out front in my flowers today, and yesterday!!!!!!!       so cool!!

ok, well, back to doing something,,,,,don't know what yet,,,,,find something that needs done, Im sure!!                     later squares!!!

these are ones i made and gave away, but i have made more, that is what I am thinking of giving the brunch ladies....post-40621-0-98292000-1380064353_thumb.jpg

post-40621-0-42403900-1380064371_thumb.jpg

Good morning gals....

Well the audit revealed that the guy (I call him my boss) I worked with was doing things shady. He was let go yesterday. I am in the clear. My next several weeks, months whatever will be rough.....I have to take on many responsibilities that are way above me but I told them I was up to the task. Today as word gets out (he was there for 17 years and everyone knows him and deals with him for work) I will be attacked with multiple phone calls asking what happened. All I can say is 'for more info, talk to the director' but that won't stop people from hounding me. The special ed kids suffer the most by no longer having a champion that can answer questions.

Why are people the way they are? Please say a prayer for me to get through this tough time.

Hugs,

kuddles

Oh wow kuddles. You don't need people like that working there anyways.

By the way what do you do for your job? I want to say teacher but wasn't sure.

Sending prayers your way for you to be up for the challenge. You will do the best you can!

Hopefully not to many will torture you about it. But people like to gossip too.

I hope you have a good day at work and can all thrown your way. Good Luck!!

Good morning everyone! Hope you all have a wonderful day .

Oh wow kuddles. You don't need people like that working there anyways.

By the way what do you do for your job? I want to say teacher but wasn't sure.

Sending prayers your way for you to be up for the challenge. You will do the best you can!

Hopefully not to many will torture you about it. But people like to gossip too.

I hope you have a good day at work and can all thrown your way. Good Luck!!

Good morning everyone! Hope you all have a wonderful day .

Thanks for your kind words. I am 'just' a secretary by title, database mgr and coordinator by trade (considering what I do).

kuddles

Hey all! 

Wow, yesterday was a terrible day... but today is going better thank goodness. Except I just weighed myself and I have gained 2 stone during the last few weeks... so time to start doing something about that! Am off to find exercise videos on YouTube! And you never know, doing exercise will probably help my mood too. 

Also - had a yarn disaster!! I spilled tea in my basket of yarn!! So I've had to wash it all in the bath and now its outside, but I'm worried it won't really dry as its all wound into balls... do you think I'm going to have to unwind it all to let it dry? Urgh! 

Hope you're all having a great day x

Most likely you will have to unwind it. Make it into a long oval circle so it doesn't get tangled. It should dry fine that way. Sorry you spilled your drink on it. Remember we all have bad days it's what we do with them. I try to just stop doing what I'm doing and crawl into bed. Maybe a nap will make me feel better. It does sometimes and I still have the urge to to scream.

Is two stones there means two pounds here?

It's been so long since I've been on, the website didn't autofill in the browser anymore! >_< I'm cheating right now: I'm determined to catch up on all I missed, so I have another tab open at where I left off and came over here to post. Then I'll just pick up reading from the next tab! :D

I'm glad Maria asked about the plain grannies and so many people answered.... I much prefer doing fancy squares but I haven't had time lately to do any. But some plain grannies, those I could probably squeeze a few in here and there. I just felt sorta guilty sending plain squares instead of fancy, ya know?

Not much really changed for us. We're still busy, the dog's still neurotic, and Little Viking still doesn't want to go school *every day*. :lol

We did go to the Renaissance Faire with some friends on Sunday. The little guy wanted to ride the elephant, and we had some extra money from my mom (she gives us Faire money every year for birthday gifts), so we said all right. I rode with him, of course, and it was SO AWESOME!

I thought he might be scared once we started moving, since it was so high, but he just grinned and grinned and laughed! As we got down I said, Thank you, elephant!" and he said, "Tank you, ewaphant, for give us a wide!" We also saw some performing dogs, which he loved, and he was so excited to go up and pet them after the show!

Ok, going to go catch up on the rest of the thread now. :D I hope recovery is going well for all, and that Honex has been able to see dry land again!

Hello good subjects of Square Ville's Yarn Hill!!

my oh my, so much to comment on I know I will forget half of it...

Thanks first of all, for the nice comments on the birdie nests, everyone seems to love them, sooooo I prepared a big Nest full, for my guests at brunch tomorrow........

Kuddles, gosh, who knew huh! What a shocker.. Now with y our new responsibilities and such, did they mention a raise too, that would help ease the burden I bet!! I know you can do it, as you are a born organizer, and a true go-getter, so Im not worried about that. You will do a bang up job, they may promote you and bump you up a notch!! If nothing else, a hefty raise will be called for, lol,. Good luck, keep up the great work, and the attitude you have is great too!

Becca, 2 stones then equals something like what, 14 pounds?? I don't think that will hurt you, in your photo icon, you look very slender to begin with!!

Owlyvamp.....uh yeah, busy

online for sure, lol I was so happily surprised to see all those posts of yours!! You were leader of the top daily posters!!!!!

Viking, so nice to hear from you as well, sounds like a fun time was had by all at the fair, i remember my daughter riding a Camel when she was little, and insisted she go by herself!! She did great too, and had a wonderful time, they had sort of a cage thing about where the kids sat so she was quite safe! Had fun, as Im sure vikette did as well!!

Hi to Carol,and Linda as well, hope all is well with mom in law today linda, and carol, hope you get time to crochet today lol..

Viking, yeah about the plain squares, I usually let the color and stuff enhance my plain grannys, so still, each one is different. I prefer to make them plain, as they relax me more, i can do them with my eyes closed, lol and i don't have to fiddle with different patterns a lot that way, therefor quicker!!

Oh boy, brunch is "atmorrow" as my daughter when younger used to say! Im ready, house is as good at it is going to get, and I will prepare most of the food tonight, and bake it off in the am....

well it's almost 3, where do the time go, lol

Im off for a bit, finding little things here, and there to do, but mostly, all is in order, now to just keep it that way till tomorrow, lol I think we'll eat out!! lolllll, yay.........keep the kitchen clean!

almost had a new used car,my car is a '95 its got 150,000 miles on it.

I am fine with it,run,thats all that matters,I'm slowing down in my driving,but hubby doesn't like that it doesn't have air anymore

heck the other nine months when I don't need air,its fine,

anyway,he brought this car he was interested in to our mechanic,come to find out,the car isn't locally owned as he thought,it was originally from way Upstate NY,and was badly rusted out from their weather conditions,oh well,told him thanks but did the fist pump that I still had my own car.

Oh, and Katy things are still darn tense here,I am not one to pretend to be nice,and it can't be forced on me,when he tried to cajol me into that this morning,I said if I speak to her I'll probably say stop your damn crying cause its not helping you or us,end of discussion.

so sorry to hear that things are still tense Linda, least you still have your own car though!!  I guess what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, eh........sometimes I wonder how strong are we gonna get anyways!!!!!!!

gonna have a big pair of angel wings,lol

My daughter brought over a skein yarn and I'm trying it. I don't think it's the right you tube but it's working. It is Maggie Weldon doing the Starbella right?

Here's the link hopefully. And I will post a picture when finished.

I also made some granny snowflakes so will post those soon as well.

wowzers you are fast lady!!!! Gorgeous Scarf!!! You did a tremendously lovely job!!!! and those stars,,,,adorable, gonna have to try them!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for my daily eye candy, I was feeling sooooooo diepleted in that area today!!!!!!!!

gonna have a big pair of angel wings,lol

I would venture a guess as to the equivilant of probably a 747 at the least!!

My daughter brought over a skein yarn and I'm trying it. I don't think it's the right you tube but it's working. It is Maggie Weldon doing the Starbella right?
Here's the link hopefully. And I will post a picture when finished.

I also made some granny snowflakes so will post those soon as well.

Here is the granny square stars.

Then here is the scarf I made it's not as tight as the knitting but I finished it in less than 45 minutes.

Oh, and Im waiting on someone getting home to get me down a glass bowl so I can do my trifle!! I forgot to ask him, when he was home to eat, he had to finish up a window, felt pretty sure the folks would want it in place by dark, lol     soooo, made the casserole, that was a job, but well worth it, it's delish, and got all the cups, plates, and silver ware rinsed, and set aside, so no one finds a knife with a fingerprinit on it, lol I actually WIPED them dry, I never do this, I always drip dry!!

And what else, not much to do till the am, cept the trifle, and Im thinking, that is probably gonna have to be tested at least a fork full of, before I put it in to chill, he he he....

Oh, ill photo tonight the little birdie nests I have arranged for the gals, think I will put one at each setting, and they can sit, where the one they like is at, or fight over them, lol... So as to welcome Fall lol... Isn't that when they hunker down for the winter, the ones that stay anyway, and I think the nests are much heavier and warmer in the fall too, as far as I know anyways....I have to keep mine in a curio or behind glass, as I have two very nosy and mischievious kitties that love those little feathered toys, lol

I gotta go and photo those nests before I lose all the light , be back with a short cut link to them after i post in the proper forum, he he he.

I'm wiped out....hard day, lots to 'clean up'....but it will all get done eventually. I spent quite a bit of time going thru 'his' boxes and getting his stuff he can take with him ready for pick up.

Hope everyone has a great nite..............

kuddles

I'm wiped out....hard day, lots to 'clean up'....but it will all get done eventually. I spent quite a bit of time going thru 'his' boxes and getting his stuff he can take with him ready for pick up.

Hope everyone has a great nite..............

kuddles

:hug hope it settles down for you soon

Thank you everyone.

I was thinking we should start a ornament swap. What do you all think? Depending how many people we can send one or two ornaments. Plus you could if wanted to put in some goodies .buts that's optional.

Archived