Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GN Owlvamp!  Thanks for your tips!  I got my clay soft and pliable, now I just have to figure out if I want to make my first one a solid color or mix it.  I have 4-5 different colors that were in the package, as well as figure out which hook I am going to start with! I am checking out Youtube to see what they have done as well.  I am sure they are going to turn out great!!!  Maybe, if they turn out good, this will end up being a side business for me.  All the more reason why I need to work at Hobby Lobby for the Christmas season!!!

Good morning chatty squares!

Another work day so that is what I will be doing! kiddles at daycare.........

Found out her teacher's name yesterday and her room number. I know nothing else....there are six 3rd grade classes! This is a  big school, but the best in the area. She will continue to get speech services and most likely reading and math. I am so blessed to live in this area so she can go to that school! She struggles but she does well there!

Have a great day squares!

kuddles

Okay, I guess I will jump back into this square business!  I've got a few to give away too.  Yay!

New requirements:  RHSS or Bernat Super Value, in purples and yellows, sizes 3", 6", 9", and 12".

The purples and yellows are because those were her wedding colors.  This afghan is to replace the quilt her mother had made decades ago and is falling apart (from lots of love!) and no one has been able to fix it.  So, really, its for my MIL and FIL.

Thank you ladies!  I'm so excited to make squares again!  I'll get them out soon.  2 of them are the ones in this post: http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/147664-celtic-knot-motifs/  :)

Well Hi ya cindy! We all missed ya, you bring a lot to the thread, glad to have you back. I posted your name on the first thread, with your preferences, sounds like fun!! Love your new squares as well!!!       welcome back! Everyone, welcome cindy back to the thread!!!!!!!!

That's awesome I'm really excited about them. Did you know they have them in the long looms for scarfs? I have the little one. But grandson broke a few pegs on it. Can you replace the pegs? I haven't ever seen just pegs for sale. My daughter goes to thrift shops so maybe I can have her look.

Yes, i have a couple of the long ones, but don't or can't figure out is better way of saying it, how to turn on the long looms!!!!! Acck, one day I will sit down and watch a tutorial on it, lol  remember me saying that about the crocodile stitch too, yikes!

Owlvamp, I actually got Kato polyclay.  I have never bought clay before, so while I was looking at clay, I think I picked the wrong kind.  Hopefully it will loosen up some so I can work with it.  Maybe I just didn't have patience for it and need to work with it longer. lol. Did you use the "glue" I have seen some people say they use to keep the hooks inside?  I had a hook with a handle and the hook came out and want to make sure it stays inside.  Just kinda wondering how you did it.

Depending on how everything turns out, I will post pics (even though it's not squares!).  I am almost done with a scarf a lady at the church asked for, I love the colors.  It's turquoise, silver, black and white!!!

oooh pretty, i absolutely love that color combo in anything!

Good morning chatty squares!

Another work day so that is what I will be doing! kiddles at daycare.........

Found out her teacher's name yesterday and her room number. I know nothing else....there are six 3rd grade classes! This is a  big school, but the best in the area. She will continue to get speech services and most likely reading and math. I am so blessed to live in this area so she can go to that school! She struggles but she does well there!

Have a great day squares!

kuddles

There's our cheery kuddles and company, lol Hope she enjoys this year, third grade, wow, been a while, my dear one and only daughter, is 28 today!!!!!!! I called her this am, but will celebrate when she gets back from St Louis next week, (her work is providing her trip there, for a conference, )but I will call her exactly, work or not working, at 2.36 pm, her birth time, i have never missed one single year in calling her on her birthtime!!!!!

I told her this am, man your phone , Im calling, don't care if you are working or not lol she agreed, woudln't be the same if you didn't mom....So, to make it official,

Happy Birthday Jen!!!!!!!  tee hee hee!!

Ok I'm back, have cramp in my crochet hand! Very annoying! So having a tea break. Makes me want those gorgeous furls hooks even more!

Grannyannie hope the docs went well today.

Rang the local SCBU today as have quite a pile of preemie items now, and they don't accept crochet blankets - knitted only! Something to do with in another hospital a baby got its finger stuck in one :( but I can still send in the hats and booties, and I can send the blankets and angel clothing to the Cuddles charity. I wonder though if they're thinking of granny square style blankets, and that if they were in a solid block rather than with gaps if they'd be ok? Maybe if I learn Tunisian crochet that would be ok...

Oh and I got the baby round ripple blanket finished and posted off yay :)

Well, I did get one thing accomplished today!  My sister has problems with her memory (among other things) and had forgotten how to crochet.  Well, I helped her online to relearn it.  I explained it, but she is like me, has to see it.  So I sent her a Youtube video for beginners and viola!!!  She is crocheting!  She has only done the sc, but she is excited she is remembering!!!  So, my good deed is done for the day! lol

Hope everyone is having a great day.  WE actually are having a day without storms, so far anyways!!  Happy hooking to all!

For my fellow loomies these are some of my favorte looming sites.

http://isela.typepad.com/loomknitting/tutorials.html

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/loom_knitting.php

http://loomlady.blogspot.com/

In theory you are supposed to be able to make hats on the long looms (work around instead of back and forth) especially if you have the longest one use the clips

http://www.joann.com/provo-craft-knifty-knitter-loom-clips/xprd728388/    to adjust the circumference of the hat.  I already had all the round ones so I haven't tried it on the long ones. 

Cindy your afghan turned out really well.  Glad you are coming back.

Kuddles, wishing Kiddles a good school year.

:cheer Becca on getting the round ripple finished and on its way.  I am sure it will be loved.  Sorry about your hand cramps. 

Sandra, sorry about the pain.  I hope it goes away soon. 

Just popping in to say that I just checked out who the biggest square is.  Yay owlvamp!  Hmm...  12 inch.  I don't have one handy.  I'm either going to have to go on a hunt for a pattern or design one special for you.  I haven't tried to design a 12" yet.  Hmm...  Just had an idea...  Hooks to the ready!  :idea 

Okay, I guess I will jump back into this square business!  I've got a few to give away too.  Yay!

New requirements:  RHSS or Bernat Super Value, in purples and yellows, sizes 3", 6", 9", and 12".

The purples and yellows are because those were her wedding colors.  This afghan is to replace the quilt her mother had made decades ago and is falling apart (from lots of love!) and no one has been able to fix it.  So, really, its for my MIL and FIL.

Thank you ladies!  I'm so excited to make squares again!  I'll get them out soon.  2 of them are the ones in this post: http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/147664-celtic-knot-motifs/  :)

Depending on how desperate you are to have it fixed. I live a state away and I am a quilter. I have fixed a few quilts.

OK so tell me....  What do you all do about the crochet hook rubbing the siden of your hand while crocheting and making your hand somewhat sore and sensitive?

If you see the youtube videos posted by Crochet Geek, I've seen the hook wrapped at the top with the rubber pencil grips.  Remember those?  They might help.  

OK so tell me....  What do you all do about the crochet hook rubbing the siden of your hand while crocheting and making your hand somewhat sore and sensitive?

I tried a few different things, but in the end my bf came up with an idea for my thinner hooks - they're these rubber cylinders, really narrow so he had to get them onto the hook with washing-up liquid, but they make the hook squidgey and stop it hurting my hand. They're something to do with fishing?! I'll ask him tomorrow, as I don't think he'd appreciate me waking him up at 1am with a random question!  :lol

For bigger sizes I now use bamboo hooks and these don't seem to hurt my hand like aluminium ones did. Depending on how and where it is rubbing, could you maybe wear a fingerless glove? 

I've just been looking at the knitting loom links you guys kindly posted - and I used to do this when I was a child, but we called it french-knitting? I used to love it! I might have to look into getting another set I think... and I have two craft-loving nieces (well my bf's nieces) who I think might like these for Christmas! Thanks for reminding me about this form of yarn craft! 

Have just ordered some more yarn... oops! Couldn't resist, 100g skiens of DK weight for £1.69 each - and it's such a gorgeously soft acrylic yarn in pretty colours :) If anyone would like some DK weight squares please do message me. 

Katy - I'm still working on a treasure square for you... determined to get it right :)

aw, poor sandra, but every day, it will improve, what is the part that is hurting?? Was this much pain expected? The body heals from the inside out, but the good part is, it will heal and you will be without pain and or heartburn!! Wish it would go quicker for you to heal though!!

Thanks Bgs, I will check out the links!! I would love to make a scarf on the longer loom I have, i think it is green...I dunno, lol med long I guess..

So how gos the night, all. Rained here, probably more tonight, it's ok, we need it...no thunder, or lightning as it went through, so that was good, just rain for a change!!

I feel better today as the rash on my thigh is finally improving, can't hardly tell it was there really now, cept it still itches a bit.....grrrrrrrrr. lol

Tomorrow is Friday for all those that are working, one more day ladies!! hang in there!!

I have a plague on my hallway corner cupborad, pic of a kitty, barly  hanging on a branch, with a birdie just outta reach, there for the saying, Hang in there, came to mind. lol

well squares, couple things to do yet, so will say goodnight for now, take it easy, and have a great friday!

I have a plague on my hallway corner cupborad, pic of a kitty, barly  hanging on a branch, with a birdie just outta reach, there for the saying, Hang in there, came to mind. lol

well squares, couple things to do yet, so will say goodnight for now, take it easy, and have a great friday!

:lol  I read, "I have a plague," and I pictured yucky bugs in your beautiful new kitchen.  Then I was confused because it was a kitten plague.  lol.  It took me a bit to understand what you meant.  My brain has been in a fog today!

Yawn............morning Squares! Yikes, would have liked a few more hours of sleep! Sleep? What is that strange thing?

Katy is right, Friday and my last day of work for the week. I'm ready for it to be done!

Kiddles and I are going to a 'fest' tomorrow in a nearby town. One last 'event' before she starts school on Wednesday!

I have to share that there ARE some nice people in the world (besides you guys!): long story short, a gal I reconnected with on facebook is giving me a free registration to a sewing class next Saturday AND sending me the pattern used so I can cut out my fabric! It is on various ways to put zippers in a purse/tote.......I might not learn a lot but it is something just for ME! I got a babysitter and am set! She was so nice to do this for me!!!

Gotta get ready! Have a good day!

kuddles

:lol  I read, "I have a plague," and I pictured yucky bugs in your beautiful new kitchen.  Then I was confused because it was a kitten plague.  lol.  It took me a bit to understand what you meant.  My brain has been in a fog today!

HAHA  I read it the same way. I thought Plague Oh my Goodness.

Archived