Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone tried the Heirloom Art Hooks? Was just wondering about them.

What is you favorite brand of hooks ?

What size do you use most often or your favorite size?

aren't these a beautiful??? I wandered out in to my mailbox last night and found these waiting for me!! Brenda (bgs) Thank you so much, I love the towel! It found it's home on the fridge door!  :c9

post-17683-0-10072200-1373982900_thumb.jpg

Good Morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) I'm not familiar with the Heirloom Art hooks.

2) Most of my hooks are Boyes.  I can't stand the one and only aluminum Bates I have. However my favorite hooks are my wood hooks by Jimbo, love them! 

3) hmmm, I'd say it's a toss up between H and I. 

aren't these a beautiful??? I wandered out in to my mailbox last night and found these waiting for me!! Brenda (bgs) Thank you so much, I love the towel! It found it's home on the fridge door!  :c9

Very pretty!

Never heard of those hooks.

I like the light up hooks because they are 'fatter' so I can use the small sizes without hurting my arthritic hands.

My favorite size is an I hook.

Gorgeous!

Nice eye candy from Bgs!!! I have one of her towels too, and love it, so handy dandy!!!!!!!

As for hooks, i prefer Cover, but have both boye and bates, constantly gettig mixed up on the one I like, lol I think it's Boye that i like, NOT the flatish headed one, with the shorter shaft, whichever that one is, I like the other lol, The one Maria had sent me, is the kind I like and clover! And i think my go to hook, is H. then I! Depends on what Im crocheting!

You're welcome. :hug  :hug

Those are soooo pretty.

Lovely squares, bgs!  Loving the towel.  I have a serious case of towel envy right now :lol

Katie, the hook I sent you is a Bates hook ;)

I haven't heard of the heirloom hooks.  I like the Clover hooks and Clover's Amour hooks because of the handles.  I have a set by Jimbo of steel hooks with the interchangeable handle and a hook that's maybe a size J also by him that I love.  Then there are my clay-handled Susan Bates hooks made by Jennifer of Day by Day Crochet.  I have a hard time with Boye though there are a couple that don't snag on the yarn.  One of them was a swap gift from Skoggy.  It's a beautiful hook.

I recently finished a bag for a swap here that I wish I could post pictures of.  It's going to be a couple of weeks before it reaches Skoggy, but after that, I'm sharing the pictures ;)

I hope everyone has had a wonderful day.  Lots of hugs and positive thoughts for everyone :hug

I'm not familiar with them either. I can't decide if I want to look them up to sate my curiosity, or leave it alone so I don't see another thing I want to spend money on. :D

Edited: forgot to answer the questions? I don't really have a favorite brand. When it comes to crochet I can use pretty much anything, though it can take some time to readjust if I'm switching from aluminum to wood, say, and I'm also approaching the point where I should really put handles on all my smaller hooks. Hands are starting to get tired holding those skinny things!

I had been my go-to size for a long time, but I'm using H and even G a lot lately. I used G for the ice cream cones. I think I'm using G on another graph square right now, too.

They're so pretty! Love that purple, and I really like how the green looks like a shamrock pattern.

Love the towel smith and your blocks are beautiful.

I've seen the Jimbo hooks too but never gotten one yet. Would love to try them.

I love the Susan bate hooks. I love the flat head on the top of it. I do have a set from Herrschners with the wood on them . I love them. I've lost a few of them or I should my lovely grandson did. Been teaching him to crochet and I'm going to have to get him his own set so he will leave mine alone. My favorite size is H. I do use all them and it also depends on what project I'm doing.

I recently finished a bag for a swap here that I wish I could post pictures of.  It's going to be a couple of weeks before it reaches Skoggy, but after that, I'm sharing the pictures ;)

I hope everyone has had a wonderful day.  Lots of hugs and positive thoughts for everyone :hug

Will love seeing the bag!

It took me longer than expected, but here are the squares that Annie sent me.  I love them!

Great squares!

It took me longer than expected, but here are the squares that Annie sent me.  I love them!

Those are very pretty and cheery squares.

I cleaned floors this morning and now I'm in my sewing room. I'm working on outfits for the grandkids for a Disney trip in September. I also have a baby afghan on my hook that I'll probably work on tonight while watching TV.

Hope everyone has a great day!

wow what pretty squares, so bright and cheery!!Going to make a nice addititon to your ghan!!

Hot again here today, but headed out to wally world in a few. Take care all, and have a great day! Loving the bb cream in my free samples from the spa, just apply, and go, it's very lightweight, and tinted to my skin tone, a light day moisturizer in it, and spf of I think50, sooooo no need for foundation anymore, yay!!!! Little pressed powder, some lipstick, and Im off, it's all about easy!!!!!!

Sorry to pop in unannounced! Just found this thread and am intrigued - so can I just make squares and send them to people? And am I allowed to join in even though I live in England? 

Oh and the squares - do they have to be full rows of a certain stitch, or are the granny style squares, or just anything (unless specifically requested by the receiving person in the above list of course)?

Hope you don't mind the questions x

Sorry to pop in unannounced! Just found this thread and am intrigued - so can I just make squares and send them to people? And am I allowed to join in even though I live in England? 

Oh and the squares - do they have to be full rows of a certain stitch, or are the granny style squares, or just anything (unless specifically requested by the receiving person in the above list of course)?

we like it when we have new visitors.and sure you can join us,we are an international bunch,England and Autralia,& South Africa plus good ol USA

Thanks Pineknott

I'm so glad I can be involved... before I start can someone answer these questions for me...

1) Can the squares be any pattern? 

2) Looking through the list everyone seems to request ww yarn - I don't have any of this, I have a lot of DK, and James C Brett Marble yarns that are beautiful, and I also buy A LOT of yarn from the Drops range, which is categorised by letters (A,B,C etc) the types can be found here http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/yarncomparisonchart.php - can I use any of these? I've tried looking up ww and it seems that none of the yarn I have is classed as ww, perhaps this is less commonly available in the UK, I don't know. Are any of my DK, JC Brett or Drops yarns interchangeable for ww requests do you know? 

Thanks guys :)

Hi beccalovely! :hi

I'm in the UK aswell and have been part of this amazing CAL for ages! Would be great to have you on board as well!

The squares are mainly any pattern you wish to send someone. The only guidelines is the colour of the squares people want and use Worsted / Aran. :) Speak to katyallen for more info. :hug

Edit: Posted as you posted yours. You can use Aran or 2 strands of DK also work. :)

Thanks Skoggy, that's great that I can use 2 strands of DK - I'll try and work out what the JC Brett Marble yarn weights are classed as too, because some of the ones I have are lovely, same with the Drops ones. 

Thanks again! 

Just checked and the JC Brett yarn I have is DK so can use two strands of that. 

Just need to work out which Drops yarns I can use now, frustrating that they categorise their yarns so differently! 

Thanks Skoggy, that's great that I can use 2 strands of DK - I'll try and work out what the JC Brett Marble yarn weights are classed as too, because some of the ones I have are lovely, same with the Drops ones. 

Thanks again! 

I lurve Drops! I spent many years in Sweden so it was common place in the yarn stores. :D

Archived