Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

well gross up there dragnlady, lol I thank goodness had a girl, so none of that gross stuff, God probably knew, I could not handle a boy, lol for those of you that have, KUDOS!! Yeah, thought about a sheet, found one in the right color, just plain, I could somehow enhance it for my swags, but I don't know how to make swags, only the straight valances, and panels if I needed to......sigh.....I put the sheet back, coudln't find anyone at walmart to cut fabric so put tht back too, wasn't quite right anywho....Ill find what I need, maybe not right away, but I will find it, lol See Im getting new flooring in the kitchen probably next month, and painting it either a very pale blue, or an off white, either way, need a particular shade Im looking for, for accent on the windows...You know...

On another subject, we may have some extra added eye candy next month too maybe, as am asking  all the title holder Biggest Squares of the past year, if possible, to  post some pics of either a finished ghan, or the squares, or something to remind us of the creations we maybe had a small part in, huh! I wouldn't recognize mine anymore, Im sure, but would love to see some pics!! I totally understand if this is not possible, in the month of june, as some maybe are either going to be on vac. or having guests, or other life things, as we all know happens, so totally not a requirement, simply a suggestion, for those that can.  

Cloudy, cool, says no rain, Im not so sure.... Im off soon to probably Hobby Lobby, and as for things for me, I don't know, I just never thought about it Kuddles. lol  The squares will be enough, or some werthers sugar free, they are great, I love those, the only candy I eat is sugar free, the only hooks i use mostly are clover, and yarn or squares, anything goes, lol Ill just be thrilled to get beautiful squares from all my friends here at the thread!! quite an honor for me!!

quite enough for one post, lol I will let you all catch up reading, and see you a bit later, good luck ann, and linda with your doc. appts.........................Have a great day all!

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello ladies! Big :hug from your "Limey" square! :D

I held my first business lunch today. Was only 1 person and held it at my house but was still for business purposes and I'd never met this person face to face until today.

Weather-wise, we have lovely British weather... overcast and raining. I actually think we have a thunderstorm brewing. Its got dark all of a sudden and the temperature just dropped.

I'm glad my FFA parcel has gone out. Now just a matter of waiting for it to turn up and to "see" my partner smile. I've got some squares made for our anniversary biggest square. Ahh... I remember our emails when you took over Katie. Was an honor to help you, those many months ago. :hug You do a great job!

I second the idea of having a "year in Biggest Squares" kind of thing. Maybe it can be published in a different thread so that other Villers will have a look and maybe they will want to join as well as they see all the pretties. :)

Skoggy that is a great Idea

I second the idea of having a "year in Biggest Squares" kind of thing. Maybe it can be published in a different thread so that other Villers will have a look and maybe they will want to join as well as they see all the pretties. :)

I am all excited waiting till saturday is gonna kill me. well I got a wagon full of weeds and vines and tree saplings cut chopped and pulled. planted 2 more flowers. one is a rose bush. not sure what the other is. I havent spent a dime on flowers this year. all have been things i found in the wild and starts from friends. We have a cross in our front yard I am gonna seperate my easter lillys and plant some around it.

Gonna be an emotional day here.... my "baby" graduates 3rd grade today! :cry:sigh

I let both of my boys get their ears pierced yesterday, both ears... oldest went first and cried! I felt awful, but he was a champ and went ahead and did the other one too instead of stopping after the first one. Little one is the tough cookie always, and he just cringed and said "OW" after the first. So, guess I am the modern type of mom... however no tattoos till they're of age and definitely no more body modification until they're older. They've begged for years to get them done, started in Kindergarten asking.. I held off. I had promised them this year if they did well in school we'd do it at the start of summer break... and at the salon getting their haircuts for the last day, I caved. They are pretty happy and every person we passed in the stores yesterday afternoon got the update that "we got our ears pierced today".... KIDS! Not sure what anyone else will think, not even sure I care (other family & such) ... if that makes them happy & feel like they have control of their own lives, they will trust me more in the long run and I won't have deviant hoodlums later on! 

I was able to mail out my FFA puffy yesterday. I am just so glad it went out in the month it was supposed to, instead of sometime in the following one! LOL I hope my partner gets it fairly quick & likes the little "extras" I put in there. 

I wanted to share this post with my fellow Squares...I have a co-worker who crochets and is currently collecting squares to turn into afghans to send to Moore, OK. Here is the link to the post I made over in the charity section, and all the information is in the blog that I linked!

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/146636-granny-square-collection-for-moore-ok/#entry2570326

One Lucky square will recieve her package saturday. :clap

Yay!!

I held my first business lunch today. Was only 1 person and held it at my house but was still for business purposes and I'd never met this person face to face until today.

Weather-wise, we have lovely British weather... overcast and raining. I actually think we have a thunderstorm brewing. Its got dark all of a sudden and the temperature just dropped.

I'm glad my FFA parcel has gone out. Now just a matter of waiting for it to turn up and to "see" my partner smile. I've got some squares made for our anniversary biggest square. Ahh... I remember our emails when you took over Katie. Was an honor to help you, those many months ago. :hug You do a great job!

Yes, i remember too, you were a big help, even with your hands full with Felicia, and all, you helped a lot with all the corespondence stuff, couldn't have done it without ya!~!

Skoggy that is a great Idea

I am all excited waiting till saturday is gonna kill me. well I got a wagon full of weeds and vines and tree saplings cut chopped and pulled. planted 2 more flowers. one is a rose bush. not sure what the other is. I havent spent a dime on flowers this year. all have been things i found in the wild and starts from friends. We have a cross in our front yard I am gonna seperate my easter lillys and plant some around it.

That is a good idea, will give that some thought, thanks emma!

Gonna be an emotional day here.... my "baby" graduates 3rd grade today! :cry:sigh

I let both of my boys get their ears pierced yesterday, both ears... oldest went first and cried! I felt awful, but he was a champ and went ahead and did the other one too instead of stopping after the first one. Little one is the tough cookie always, and he just cringed and said "OW" after the first. So, guess I am the modern type of mom... however no tattoos till they're of age and definitely no more body modification until they're older. They've begged for years to get them done, started in Kindergarten asking.. I held off. I had promised them this year if they did well in school we'd do it at the start of summer break... and at the salon getting their haircuts for the last day, I caved. They are pretty happy and every person we passed in the stores yesterday afternoon got the update that "we got our ears pierced today".... KIDS! Not sure what anyone else will think, not even sure I care (other family & such) ... if that makes them happy & feel like they have control of their own lives, they will trust me more in the long run and I won't have deviant hoodlums later on! 

I was able to mail out my FFA puffy yesterday. I am just so glad it went out in the month it was supposed to, instead of sometime in the following one! LOL I hope my partner gets it fairly quick & likes the little "extras" I put in there. 

wow, another one on its way!!!!!!!!

I wanted to share this post with my fellow Squares...I have a co-worker who crochets and is currently collecting squares to turn into afghans to send to Moore, OK. Here is the link to the post I made over in the charity section, and all the information is in the blog that I linked!

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/146636-granny-square-collection-for-moore-ok/#entry2570326

Probably a verygood cause mandy, but i heard on the news, they don't want donations, they just are in need of money, unless their specs have changed??

Oh my, got a puffy this afternoon, not from my secret square, but for my June Crown-dom!! woo hoo, only trouble is,

it says on it in two places.....

DO NOT OPEN TILL JUNE!!!! now how not fair is that!!!!! I won't say whom it was from yet either then, but darn it ,, seems like that's not fair at all, lolol thank goodness not too much longer to wait, about a week or a week and a day,

ok, a week, a day, and some hours,

a week, a day, some hours, and some minutes,

and some seconds,

THEN

then I can open it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's gonna kill me, feels so fat.........................................THank you in advance BGs      you are the first,,,,,,oh, don't read that brenda, till JUNE!!!!!!!! lol

Cloudy, cool, says no rain, Im not so sure.... Im off soon to probably Hobby Lobby, and as for things for me, I don't know, I just never thought about it Kuddles. lol  The squares will be enough, or some werthers sugar free, they are great, I love those, the only candy I eat is sugar free, the only hooks i use mostly are clover, and yarn or squares, anything goes, lol Ill just be thrilled to get beautiful squares from all my friends here at the thread!! quite an honor for me!!

quite enough for one post, lol I will let you all catch up reading, and see you a bit later, good luck ann, and linda with your doc. appts.........................Have a great day all!

Too funny, I buy the SF Werthers for Kiddles. That way I don't feel bad saying yes! Have you tried the new caramel cinnamon ones? yummo!

kuddles

Oh my, got a puffy this afternoon, not from my secret square, but for my June Crown-dom!! woo hoo, only trouble is,

DO NOT OPEN TILL JUNE!!!! now how not fair is that!!!!! I won't say whom it was from yet either then, but darn it ,, seems like that's not fair at all, lolol thank goodness not too much longer to wait, about a week or a week and a day,

or a week , a day,

and some seconds,

THEN

then I can open it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's gonna kill me, feels so fat.........................................THank you in advance BGs      you are the first,,,,,,oh, don't read that brenda, till JUNE!!!!!!!! lol

ROTFL  Too funny to do to you! Wish I had thought of it!

kuddles

Well congratulations Katie for becoming the June queen and it certainly deserved.  I'll will have to get busy making you some squares lol. 

or a week , a day,

and some seconds,

THEN

Oh That is great. I can see Katie waiting till the stroke of midnight june 1st puffy in hand waiting to tear into it lol

Probably a verygood cause mandy, but i heard on the news, they don't want donations, they just are in need of money, unless their specs have changed??

I have no idea, honestly. I haven't heard one way or the other. I figured that if they don't need blankets now, they may need blankets later, so Lindsay (my co-worker) could hold on to them for a bit if need be.

ETA: I found a link with a list of various charity organizations who are helping in Oklahoma. Many are requesting monetary donations, but some are not. 

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18381508-how-to-help-oklahoma-tornado-victims?lite

there is a lady one facebook she has a craft business page. she acceoted monetary donations from her fans and she has been out talking to individuals hurt ny the storm and then going shopping to by them things they need or want. she bought a little girl pink nail polish and a hair straightener. she bought a guy a rake. Princess bookbags and toys for some twins and some socks and a watch for their single daddy. A bunch of tylenol and crayons and color books. in 24 hours she raised 2000 dollars and donations still rolling in.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boomer-Beanies/205080936227423?hc_location=stream

lolol Katy!  I am busting up here!!!  Maybe I should do the same thing to ya!!! I am rolling here!!  You are just like a kid at Christmas time!!!!  

We seem to be having a storm rolling in.  It is thundering a lot, but I haven't heard any rain yet.  Guess I need to plug my phone in just in case.  Got candles, but alas no matches or lighter!!

I was so excited this morning when I went through my stash and found enough yarn to   make the shawl that Tiffers is doing as a crochetalong!  It is actually sock yarn, so I hope it works, but it is lightweight.  I got it in a swap over a year ago and told them I wanted to make a shawl with it as I don't wear shoes or socks that often!

Anyways, gonna get off before the storm hits hard.  Hope it doesn't make the lights go out, I just stuck some ribs in the oven to cook!  Toodles!!!

ROTFL  Too funny to do to you! Wish I had thought of it!

kuddles

ummm hummm, yes, have tried the cinamon werthers, they are great too.....

Well congratulations Katie for becoming the June queen and it certainly deserved.  I'll will have to get busy making you some squares lol. 

Thank you!

SNowflake is still laughing, I can hear her from here!

The packages are starting to roll in, the mail people must have heard it's Our Free For All coming to an end, and thanking us, for boosting their biz  a bit, maybe now they will hang on to media mail longer!!!!!! worth a shot, right, lol

I never thought of using sheets to make curtains! I've used sheets to back quilts, but curtains didn't occur to me. Sheets are *much* easier to find than curtains! Picked up some Stitch Witchery at JoAnn today too, with that idea in mind, so that I don't have to do so much sewing when I finally find something. :D

Hey, if they've wanted it, they know they want it, then there's not an issue. And you're probably right that this will help develop your trust relationship! I never thought of it that way, but it's true.

(Now, the woman my husband and I saw at the mall last weekend, getting the ears pierced of a little girl who could not have been more than two, who was crying and screaming "NO!" and holding her hands over her ears.... *growl* I literally had to start running through the mall to get away from the cries before I lost it and went back and punched that woman in the face.)

Oh no, that poor little one! See, that is uncalled for. It is wrong to force a little one into something like that. I made the boys wait a LONG time before I knew that it was something they really wanted and they were sure about it. And to ensure it was done professionally rather than with a hot needle & a potato (um, not that *I* ever did anything like that.. ahem! <cough>) I am happy with my decision to let them. Of course my MIL had other ideas. "It's an adult thing"... yet her 8 year old granddaughter has hers done, and that's somehow different? Is it wrong because they're boys? If someone has an answer for this out there, please oh please share it with me! It took me a LOT of effort not to really tell her what I thought about it. She's not well so I try not to take much of it to heart, but lately she's "picking" at things I'm doing as a mom a little more than I am liking. Stupid comments and such that she knows better but is milking the fact that everyone else tiptoes around her or just ignores her... I um, can only take so much before I can't hold the tongue back any longer!  UGH people sometimes drive me crazy with hypocrisy! Sorry, I will step down off my soap box for the night. Seems to be a trend for me lately! LOL 

Back when I was a newlywed and a student and on a tight budget, my then-husband and I were living in a semi-converted garage at my dad's house.  I found some nice flowery fabric at a yard sale which I used to hand-stitch into a curtain for the one window.  That curtain lasted me throughout the time I was married.  We didn't want to get rid of it even after moving and no longer needing it.  Funny the things that we become attached to, huh?

Good Morning!  It's a grey, dreary one today and tomorrow is supposed to be the same only chillier!  Not the ideal  weather for a graduation party!  Oh well, we'll stay warm by being squished into the garage probably, lol.  I'd better check FB in case there has been a rain date scheduled!  Now wouldn't that just be great if I showed up on the wrong day! LOL!  Oh!  For those of you looking for curtains I remembered a website, CountryCurtains,  I've never purchased them, but I used to get their catalog all the time and they do have some pretty curtains!  Duh, I can't believe that I had forgotten about them.

It's going to be very pretty!  A lot of our favorite flowers are starts from friends or some that hubby found in the wild.  He also has started a lot in our greenhouse.

Both my boys got an ear pierced when they were in there teens, I can't remember the exact age.  Their father gave them the biggest trouble about it, lol.  I figured they are both good kids, if that's the worst they want to do, hey, I should feel lucky!  They've grown into fine young men that I am very proud of.

and some seconds,

THEN

:rofl  Oh, how I wish that I had thought to do this too! :lol

Too funny, I buy the SF Werthers for Kiddles. That way I don't feel bad saying yes! Have you tried the new caramel cinnamon ones? yummo!

kuddles

Yummo!  I haven't seen the caramel cinnamon.  I love the caramel coffee!  Yummoooooooooo!

Back when I was a newlywed and a student and on a tight budget, my then-husband and I were living in a semi-converted garage at my dad's house.  I found some nice flowery fabric at a yard sale which I used to hand-stitch into a curtain for the one window.  That curtain lasted me throughout the time I was married.  We didn't want to get rid of it even after moving and no longer needing it.  Funny the things that we become attached to, huh?

My house is full of stuff like that, lol.  I really need to gather up some courage and (a lot of energy) get rid of most of it.  I'm sure my kids don't want most of it, they would consider it junk, lol.

Hi! Hope everyone has a good day! Kiddles is off at noon so we'll be hanging out!

Take care!

kuddles

Woot!  Have a great day!

Tiffers,  I let all my boys pierce their ears at the age of ten. 

It is a cold morning. 42 degrees brrrrrr. sitting under a blanket typing with one hand cause the other is staying warm lol

Brrrrr!  I'm still wrapped up in my winter robe.  :lol

Well, we only had a thunderstorm it looks like, didn't look like it rained any last night. 

I've never had the sugar free Werther's.  gonna have to go look for some since I love to have hard candy around, helps keep my mouth from drying out and when I am a llittle "hungry".  I also never heard of the cinnamon ones, I love cinnamon candy, though, so I be they are good!  Guess tonight when I leave work, gonna have to go look for some of those!!!!

Got another square done for Katy!!!!  Yeah!  If I can get a couple more done, might just send my package out this Saturday along with the one for my secret square partner.  Of course, Katy, you can't open this one either until June!!! LOL.  I may send a second package later in June as well, once I start seeing what you have coming in.

It's nice and hot here today, was 72 at 8 am.  Supposed to get to 93, and, of course, humid!  Welcome to Louisiana!!!!

Have a great day all, stay warm, stay cool, stay dry!!!!

A potato? Why a potato? I've heard of an ice cube, which I assumed was to numb the site somewhat before hand. My only piercings were done professionally, and I'll probably never get another one done! I am not a big fan of pain. I remember the woman doing the piercing said something to the effect of "Oh, it doesn't hurt much, it's like a bee sting!" and thinking to myself the grade-school equivalent of "Whoa, back this truck up here people, bee stings f-ing hurt!!" but then it was done and I was in pain and light-headed, but at least it was done. I did really want it, though like I said, I doubt I'll ever do it again! :D

I hadn't thought much about if our son would ever decide he wanted it. He'd probably get more pushback from his dad than anyone else! Well, some of our parents might object too, but they don't get a say in it, when you get right down to it. He'd just have to be old enough to make up his own mind AND, like Tiff said, he'll have to wait long enough to make sure he really wants it.

Don't have a lot of advice for the MIL except maybe to speak up before you lose it, so you can be sure you speak calmly! I'm finally learning to stop not saying anything, but I still haven't worked out how to speak out without exploding. I've sort of gone from passive-agressive to just plain aggressive.  :embar It was what they wanted, it's not hurting anybody and she should respect their decision. Because really, you decided to let them do it, but ultimately it was their decision to have it done! D'awwww. Just thinking about two happy little boys makes me smile. The more I think about it, the more I think your logic is totally right. If you're willing to trust them with things like this now, that's definitely going to have a payoff in the future! Something for me to keep in mind as our little guy gets older.

Oh no, that poor little one! See, that is uncalled for. It is wrong to force a little one into something like that. I made the boys wait a LONG time before I knew that it was something they really wanted and they were sure about it. And to ensure it was done professionally rather than with a hot needle & a potato (um, not that *I* ever did anything like that.. ahem! <cough>) I am happy with my decision to let them. Of course my MIL had other ideas. "It's an adult thing"... yet her 8 year old granddaughter has hers done, and that's somehow different? Is it wrong because they're boys? If someone has an answer for this out there, please oh please share it with me! It took me a LOT of effort not to really tell her what I thought about it. She's not well so I try not to take much of it to heart, but lately she's "picking" at things I'm doing as a mom a little more than I am liking. Stupid comments and such that she knows better but is milking the fact that everyone else tiptoes around her or just ignores her... I um, can only take so much before I can't hold the tongue back any longer!  UGH people sometimes drive me crazy with hypocrisy! Sorry, I will step down off my soap box for the night. Seems to be a trend for me lately! LOL 

OMG you guys, I am wanting to work on stuff soooo bad today! Woke up with the itch. BUT none of what's currently on my hooks is portable enough to stick in my purse to take to work!  The afghan is WAY too big at this point, my current square has four colors hanging off of it, the Swiffer cover skein is too big to fit in my purse easily, and the other current square would be the right size - except the color I need next is one of the ones hanging off the other square! :lol

Archived