Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mandy, woot for having a 'free' weekend! Kiddles and I will be heading 3 hours south to visit my family.....no crochet time for me! But a nice visit....we will be back Sunday though so maybe I can squeak in some time on Monday!

Skoggy, woot to you as well! I'm sure you square will enjoy!

Woot to all our Squares!

kuddles

Soooo needed to do an errand on lunch, sun was out when I left so didn't take my umbrella although they said scattered rain all day.

You guessed it, it was a downpour while I was out, no umbrella and I wore sandals. Let's just say I'm now back at work and not wearing them! I'll be barefoot the rest of today!

Stay dry if you are part of this storm!

kuddles

hello all! raining here as well, but it's really just some drizzle, which i don't mind. Am taking two indoor combination windows in today, to get the bottom clips on them replaced, i seldom open them, cause I have to screw around with those old worn clips, so finally doing something about it....... :clap

Other than that, oh, have been browsing online, for BLUE kitchen swags, and possible panels too, but do you think  i can find anything I like in BLUE at all!! :no Gosh, never th ought it would be so hard.....I think I will look at fabric, maybe find something there, how hard can they be to make, he he he, says the non sewer in me....Seriously, I used to sew, it was always frustrating, but I made lots of clothes for daughter when she was young, and some for me, and curtains for friends, and such, but gave it up years ago, when darling daughter got an "Expensive Fashion Sense" at about age 6, lol sooooooo. Got a rather un used machine, I oiled it up the other day, in lieu of this swag dilemma. lol  Who knows, necessity breeds something, what is that phrase......lol    later my lovlies, keep dry, keep grounded, keep hookin!!!!!!! :manyheart

oh, got something all of you need to hear...

In May of last year, i took over this thread, in order to keep it going, and for me as well, as I didn't want it to be over, i enjoyed being a part of it....

In June 2012, we chose our first Biggest Square, and so June 1st, is our Biggest Square anniversary!! 12 members will have benefited from this thread, and who knows how many wonderful afghans have been completed with all of our help..

I just wanted to thank you all, for making this thread what it is, a fun place to go, and getting to know you all has been the highlight, not to mention the eye candy, ha ha.

You all, past and present is what makes this thread a success! Kudos to all those names that are no longer with us, and all those names that have joined or re joined, and to all of you that have "hung out' since the beginning when I took this thread over. You are all the cogs of this wheel, you are what keeps it going and allows us to have a wonderful outlet to give, and to recieve..

Thank you all too, for nominating me June's Biggest Square! I had never even imagined myself as being a biggest square!! You all are too much!!!    So, On June 1st, lets celebrate in some way, maybe do something fun for yourself, or another, or have dinner with a spouse, or sibling, or child, or even sit out on your deck, or porch, and listen to nature, anything you can do for a little while, that brings you some happiness, and then, after that, get those hooks out and get back to work!!! lol jk jk....Thanks all, for all of you  that makes this thread  truly a labor of love and it is a privilage to call you all friends......... Katie......

well hec, what is this!! What color or style are YOU looking for!!

My gosh, I've been finding it impossible to find curtains, too! I suppose it doesn't matter much since the dog keeps ripping the curtain rods off the hooks... :P

In May of last year, i took over this thread, in order to keep it going, and for me as well, as I didn't want it to be over, i enjoyed being a part of it....

In June 2012, we chose our first Biggest Square, and so June 1st, is our Biggest Square anniversary!! 12 members will have benefited from this thread, and who knows how many wonderful afghans have been completed with all of our help..

I just wanted to thank you all, for making this thread what it is, a fun place to go, and getting to know you all has been the highlight, not to mention the eye candy, ha ha.

You all, past and present is what makes this thread a success! Kudos to all those names that are no longer with us, and all those names that have joined or re joined, and to all of you that have "hung out' since the beginning when I took this thread over. You are all the cogs of this wheel, you are what keeps it going and allows us to have a wonderful outlet to give, and to recieve..

Thank you all too, for nominating me June's Biggest Square! I had never even imagined myself as being a biggest square!! You all are too much!!!    So, On June 1st, lets celebrate in some way, maybe do something fun for yourself, or another, or have dinner with a spouse, or sibling, or child, or even sit out on your deck, or porch, and listen to nature, anything you can do for a little while, that brings you some happiness, and then, after that, get those hooks out and get back to work!!! lol jk jk....Thanks all, for all of you  that makes this thread  truly a labor of love and it is a privilage to call you all friends......... Katie......

Congratulations, Katie!  It's fun being a part of this group.  Thank you very much for saving it from extinction.  I thank Aussie Paula for recommending it :)

Hi all! Boy was there a lot to catch up on today. I wasn't on much yesterday due to thunderstorms, might get more today. Nothing much new around here. Take care everyone.

I do have the book,and i saw it in there, and wondered, it's pretty close to the one Kuddles liked I think. I started to duplicate it, just for fun, and ended up going off another direction, but happily, invented a new flower square, lol Ill picture

that here, after i do another, and probably write it down this time?? lol

and no, my emoicons seem to be working ann!! :manyheart

I'd love to see what you've come up with for a square. You'd best be writing it down, lol. BTW, my emoticons are still not working. I think I used up my allotment of them! LOL! 

oh, i just finished browsing crochet books online, and i have five or more on my wish list, lol woe is me, looks like the paypal account is gonna be running low this week..........

I have to CHECK first though, to make sure I don't have the ones I want!! tee hee hee!!

Lol, I do the same thing. Luckily I haven't bought anything in a while. (I'm due)

You are very welcome.  I'm added again at almost the very end.  I think I'll keep track just to see how long it takes me to place an order again ;)

Ladies, there's something fun going on in the U.K., and it's the upcoming Yarndale in September!  I personally can't go though our very own Skoggy already has tickets.  I'm sooooo green with envy.  Elphaba has nothing on me right now.  There is a little something I can do to feel like I was there -- well, kind of like I was there.  My yarn would at least make it.  Lucy from Attic24 has put out a request for bunting for Yarndale.  Here's the post on her blog.  I'm sending her triangles.  Anyone else want to send any?  Now, if I could magically come into a huge downfall of money before then, I could go ;)

Ohhh that sounds like fun. I wish that I could go too, but maybe I can manage a few triangles. 

Oh wow thanks so much! This is close enough! You are a gem!

And Ann, thanks to you, I went and picked up the book at the library!

What a great bunch of squares!

kuddles

Your welcome Kuddles (((hugs)))

A belated welcome to our newest member! Its great to have you!!!

We're still trying to get things unpacked and organized around here. Didn't realize how much stuff we threw into the U-Haul! It looks like a bomb exploded on our back porch...a somewhat organized bomb, but still.

Happily, we're getting the internet back tomorrow! Ill be able to stop killing the battery on my phone! Woohoo!

Hope everyone is well. :hug s

Good luck with the unpacking and organizing. 

OMGoodness!!! I got a package from Katie!!! I was wondering along with her when her package would be received :lol My mailman left the delivery notice today to pick it up tomorrow. NOT!! I know he leaves my parcels behind. Sure enough, it was at the post office. Let me just say I'm absolutely delighted! I have been spoiled so much that I think it must be a mistake. I will post pics as soon as I'm home. Guess what?! I can finish my niece's afghan! I'm running out of exclamation point allotment :lol

WooHoo!!! 

The post office took its sweet time, lol.  I checked my mailbox out front on a whim.  I was about to drive by it.  I'm so glad I didn't.  I love that you sent one of your measuring tape cozies!  I had taken pictures of everything when I saw something sticking out from between the bigger square bundle.  I almost missed it!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I think I'll share with everyone pictures of my early Christmas gift ;)

In the package:  10 6-inch squares, 12 3-inch squares, a lovely flowery/gardeny crocheted wall hanging, a measuring tape in a cozy, a four-ink pen, bookmark, lip balm in a cozy, project drawstring bag, Crochet Dude stitch markers, two yarn threaders (they look vintage!), a journal, notecards and envelopes in two sizes, and a lovely card that she made.  

Thank you!

Wow, nice gifties. 

Lordy I made it to the mail box and what did I find........ eight 12" squares, a skein of baby alpaca and an I hook!!! Thank you soo much Katherine Elaine!!!

Very nice!

YOU my dear are our rock, our glue and without you, we wouldn't be here today! You deserve to be June's Square and I can't believe it took us a whole year to honor you! Woot to you!

kuddles

Oh and girls after picking up the book at the library yesterday and realizing that there were plenty of squares I wanted to make, I searched on line for the book, and found someone on half.com selling it for under $3! So for less than $7 which includes shipping, I will have that book for myself! Woot!

kuddles

(some days things just work out!)

Oh and girls after picking up the book at the library yesterday and realizing that there were plenty of squares I wanted to make, I searched on line for the book, and found someone on half.com selling it for under $3! So for less than $7 which includes shipping, I will have that book for myself! Woot!

kuddles

Great deal!  I'm stopping by at my local libraries later this week to see what the Friends of the Library have available :)

I was sad that I had to work in my room on such a gorgeous day.  An  :idea occurred to me. I can work in the balcony today!  So I turned my iPod on and am about to brew tea for a refreshing iced tea later.  Yay!  This is what's on my iPod today:  

Love her music!

How fitting that Katie will reign as the 1st year anniversary Biggest Square.  Let's shower her with lots of squares and surprises to show her how much we appreciate her keeping us together. 

Agreed! I'm so glad I came back to this group!

Just to be clear (and to make sure I read your preferences right, because I've been wrong before) you're wanting 8 inch squares, ww, in any solid/single color?

ann, kuddles, angel, mandy, viking, skoggy, bgs, and whomever else I may have missed, and everyone else ... thank you for your kind words, I am truly honored, I never expected such an honor, and I do love grannys.,,Yes, any solid color, but any pattern!! and 8 inch would be terrific!! I have never ventured out to make a multi sized one yet, can't wrap my mind around all those sizes, and how to put it together right, lol So i admire those that can!!

Im so glad you found that book kuddles, I look through it quite often! You'll like it.Hope you're feeling better and continue to Ann, and good idea angel, jam out!! I can almost feel the beat!! lol

Oh boy, well, drizzley still , and I think it is for Kuddles too, our weather runs pretty similar I have discovered, I watch the weather channel, and they are always having weather in Chicago on, but we here in Ne. have to have a major major storm/tornado/blizzard/flood/eathquake/volcano, tsunami/hurricane, to get a shout out, not that I want any of that stuff, mind you, but hey, Omaha is a big city, you know, you'd think.......well, nevermind, I know Jim Sitel was here not too long ago, but when you see him in your city, you better find cover!! lol nothing good is ever Jim Sitel worthy, just disasterous weather situations.

Tomorrow is going to probably be our only sunny day this week at all, but then, doesn't it ALWAYS rain on Memorial Day weekend??? , seems to me, it does! SO tomorrow, I will get out and get some things taken care of, but tonight, just chillin, watching the tube, and crocheting!! my fav kind of evening, lol        take care, till later!           

Wow, we are just a chatty group!!!  Took me a while to catch up, and I think I only had yesterday evening and today to read!

I will be sending my puffy out on Saturday!!!  Squares are done, just gotta find something special to put in there yet!!!  

Kuddles, I feel ya,  I was gonna go through and see who all got theirs and who has sent theirs, as I haven't gotten mine yet either, but I decided I wont spoil the fun and just sit back and wait!  

I will be bringing the computer home from work, so it will be between making Katy's squares and working for me!!! LOL

woke up this am to some really terrible thunderstorms.  Had them most of the morning.  Now it is bright and sunny here!  Stay safe all who will be experiencing bad weather!

well hec, what is this!! What color or style are YOU looking for!!

Well, we have big wide windows in our living room, 54" wide, I believe, and currently they have plain brown weather-proof ones (which I got before we got the windows replaced, since the old windows were pretty but very drafty!). I'd like to get something in a blue or green, for spring and summer, but it's hard to find anything with a pattern I like! I saw some peacock feather ones at Pier 1 a few years ago and they would be just what I'm looking for, I think, if they were not floor length. Choices for curtains these days seems to be either little short things, or else floor length drapes - but we have furniture in front of the windows! Couches! Floor length stuff would just get squished. And everything that's floral/plant type print anyway is either tiny and not noticeable, or bold but too minimalist. I want some realism in my leaves! :D

I have a pretty good pattern for next month's squares, I think. I've been doing it mostly in multicolor but it works very well in solids, too! Not sure if I'll come up with more this month... This month's patterns are all definitely multicolor!

Let me start out by saying. CHILDREN ARE DISGUSTING.................................

My 17 yr old has a blister on his toe and a bubble of dead skin on the bottom of his foot. so he just sat here and popped the blister and then started peeling the dead skin off his foot. Trying to talk the dog into  eating the dead skin. and now he is pulling the skin left on his foot saying he has a flipper and wondering if he can scoop water with it

Good morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raining here still.....but Kiddles and I got our walk in last nite so that is good. Really trying to keep these 60+ pounds off! Problem is....I love to eat! But I want Kiddles to stay healthy and I need to lead by example so.......dang kids!

Speaking of kids.....dragnlady5, EEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHH. But he is a teen boy so I would expect some gross stuff! But still. ACK!

Katie, stop it! You deserve all we are saying and more! I have 4 squares for you made (if you remember, I did them as soon as we learned it would be you for june) but I'm gonna work on more! I'd like to include a surprise so tell us: what do you like? A certain kind of candy, certain kinds of crochet (besides squares of course!), other crafts, other craft items you could use for crochet.......give us some ideas woman!

Lisa, sounds like you and I will both sit back and wait to see who our May friend was! I want to totally be surprised! And I will be since I'm so dense! LOL

Hope all of us stay safe in the storms and feel better for those that need it like Ann!

Hugs from Kuddles

its raining already here,have a foot dr. appt.I get to look at the catalog for new shoes,last yrs. were never comfortable from day one

so think I'll go back to ones by Arcor

Good Morning my square friends!  I'm up early today. Heading to the drs just for my usual monthly check up.  Boy does he ever like to keep a close eye on me, lol. But he's better than some others I've had that didn't care at all.  Don't know if we'll do anything while we're out and about.  Once home again it'll be back to the couch and my hooks & yarn.  I'm still working on that blanket for my nephew, the shawl, the dishcloths (that were supposed to be done for a friend a year ago!) and just started a Mysteryghan!  Don't worry, I'll find time for some squares, lol.  I already have some made for you Katie :D   Hey, my emoticons are back!!!! :cheer

YOU my dear are our rock, our glue and without you, we wouldn't be here today! You deserve to be June's Square and I can't believe it took us a whole year to honor you! Woot to you!

kuddles

I'll second that!

kuddles

Wootie Woot Woot!  Great deal!

Well, we have big wide windows in our living room, 54" wide, I believe, and currently they have plain brown weather-proof ones (which I got before we got the windows replaced, since the old windows were pretty but very drafty!). I'd like to get something in a blue or green, for spring and summer, but it's hard to find anything with a pattern I like! I saw some peacock feather ones at Pier 1 a few years ago and they would be just what I'm looking for, I think, if they were not floor length. Choices for curtains these days seems to be either little short things, or else floor length drapes - but we have furniture in front of the windows! Couches! Floor length stuff would just get squished. And everything that's floral/plant type print anyway is either tiny and not noticeable, or bold but too minimalist. I want some realism in my leaves! :D

I have a pretty good pattern for next month's squares, I think. I've been doing it mostly in multicolor but it works very well in solids, too! Not sure if I'll come up with more this month... This month's patterns are all definitely multicolor!

I can't believe how hard it is to find curtains these days.  I finally gave up and made some out of sheets.  I liked the patterns and most of the work was done for me, I'm not very good at a sewing machine, lol.

Let me start out by saying. CHILDREN ARE DISGUSTING.................................

My 17 yr old has a blister on his toe and a bubble of dead skin on the bottom of his foot. so he just sat here and popped the blister and then started peeling the dead skin off his foot. Trying to talk the dog into  eating the dead skin. and now he is pulling the skin left on his foot saying he has a flipper and wondering if he can scoop water with it

Ummm, EWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!  Yes, I have 2 boys and they can be gross! LOL! 

BBL, have a great day all! :hug

Good Morning!! Another beautiful day in sunny AZ!!b  I did stop by Hobby Lobby last night....dangerously close to the house, I might add. Sorry ladies I am one of those last minute people, my package will go out hopefully on Saturday. I am finishing up a few odd and ends for FFA but it's coming along wonderful. 

We are having a small BBQ this Sunday for a few friends and heading out for a short ride in the morning to catch some fresh air. Other than that, dh works saturday so it's my yarn day!!

I've done the same thing grannieannie, made curtains out of sheets!  it is easier, especially when it was for my bedroom, since I could just get an extra set of flat sheets and make them to match.  I have also gone to the fabric store and bought a piece of fabric and made them that way.  Curtains are very hard to find, especially when you know what you want!  If you didn't, you could find all kinds of them!!!

I agree, boys are gross.  I have three nephews, no kids of my own.  Some of the things they can come up with, I keep thinking, are you sure you are related to me!

Have a great day all, be blessed!!!

Archived