Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

I'm so excited about the Free for All!  Whoo-hoo!   :elle I'm a little nervous about the rest of the day!  In my crafting group, we are assigned birthday buddies.  Then when a person's birthday comes up, their buddy gets them a gift, up to $25 worth.  Today I'm presenting my buddy with her gift.  I got her little things for the embroidery and quilting that she loves, but I also made her a granny square project tote.  I made one for myself when we had our round robin.  Everyone loved it, and she had admired it too, plus I saw that she really uses her totes.  I found out her favorite color - blue - and had the sixteen squares done in one night (I didn't sleep :lol) and the next day made the straps and rosettes for the straps.  Today I line it!  I'm not a seamstress, not even a little.  My other bag I had help with lining through a class I paid for.  This one I'm making alone, and it's challenging because of the way it's constructed.  I don't think I'll have time for anything else all day before leaving at 5:00.  Right now I'm  :clap ... later I'll be  :help  and by tonight I'll be  :headache .  One way or another, I'm lining that bag!  

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy! Hugs to all that need them today!

The bad storms are past us....just rain now. Whew! Little K is finishing homework and then we will hunker down. She gets out at noon tomorrow so I pick her up then she will go with me to my yearly doctor appt. My doc hasn't seen her since she was 2 and she is now almost 9! She is gonna go bonkers!

Have a good, and safe nite all!

kuddles

I'm so excited about the Free for All!  Whoo-hoo!   :elle I'm a little nervous about the rest of the day!  In my crafting group, we are assigned birthday buddies.  Then when a person's birthday comes up, their buddy gets them a gift, up to $25 worth.  Today I'm presenting my buddy with her gift.  I got her little things for the embroidery and quilting that she loves, but I also made her a granny square project tote.  I made one for myself when we had our round robin.  Everyone loved it, and she had admired it too, plus I saw that she really uses her totes.  I found out her favorite color - blue - and had the sixteen squares done in one night (I didn't sleep :lol) and the next day made the straps and rosettes for the straps.  Today I line it!  I'm not a seamstress, not even a little.  My other bag I had help with lining through a class I paid for.  This one I'm making alone, and it's challenging because of the way it's constructed.  I don't think I'll have time for anything else all day before leaving at 5:00.  Right now I'm  :clap ... later I'll be  :help  and by tonight I'll be  :headache .  One way or another, I'm lining that bag!  

I hope you post a picture of the tote.

Katie, I have a question.  Can I get in on the free for all even though I don't normally collect squares right now?  I would like 8" any color, any pattern, ww acrylic.  Just a thought, so I could participate,it sounds like fun.  I fully understand if the answer is no though.

Hey Ann, try the Tussy again, you can beat it!

Storms are raging here so gotta get off the puter! I'm going to unplug it! Can't afford a new one!

Stay safe!

kuddles

I will try the Tussy again for sure.  You might be getting a plea for help though, lol.  And tell those storms to get lost!  lol.

Gorgeous Waldo square!

I'm going to have to try it. :) And the Tussy Mussy as well. :)

Hope everyone is ok. I'm still not great but will get better over time I suppose.

Thanks for the hugs :hug

Awww, here's another one just because... :hug

Like others have said, on Ravelry.  Besides Julie Yeager and Melinda Miller's group, there's also the 2013 Crochet Block-a-Month CAL.  They do 2 squares each month, and that's where Waldo's Puzzle is at.

PM sent!

I love these because you learn so many new skills.  Each pattern is different and beautiful in its own way!  Here is Tussy Mussy.  I found this one a little on the difficult side too,  Some of the stitches sort of went over my head, and I sort of improvised on them.  

Thank's for adding that one!  I knew I was missing something, lol.

These sound fun! I already opened all the links; I'll have to look at them tomorrow. Thanks for sharing them!

You're welcome.  They are fun.

Maybe by the end of the week....LOL

I hope so, you are due some good weather!

Good morning! Did NOT blow away! However today heavy storms, maybe hail.....and I work in a trailer so .......I might be seeing some of you while I fly through the sky!

Woot for the free for all!

Gotta go!

kuddles

Hang on tight kuddles!  Hope you don't take an unplanned flight!

Good luck lining the bag.  I'm sure you'll do great!  Please share a pic.

She will love it, you will line if just perfectly, all will be well, you are a talented and creative person, you will succeed!!

It's done!  Only two bleeding incidents and one Band-Aid needed.  The birthday girl loved it and her other gifts.  I hope I hid all the sewing atrocities where you can't see them.  I am going to make more bags since that's the only way to learn.  I'll try to stick to symmetrical shapes, though :lol

Here it is.  

Warning:  May contain disturbing images detrimental to real seamstresses

Edit:  I'm posting in show-and-tell.  Your eyes won't be playing tricks on you.

post-44469-0-11972500-1366348097_thumb.jpg

post-44469-0-19449800-1366348112_thumb.jpg

post-44469-0-14140500-1366348122_thumb.jpg

post-44469-0-30430100-1366348134_thumb.jpg

post-44469-0-71820700-1366348150_thumb.jpg

It's done!  Only two bleeding incidents and one Band-Aid needed.  The birthday girl loved it and her other gifts.  I hope I hid all the sewing atrocities where you can't see them.  I am going to make more bags since that's the only way to learn.  I'll try to stick to symmetrical shapes, though :lol

Here it is.  

That is a beautiful tote, you did a fantastic job on it.

I love the tote bag, AngelRoseLite! Is this something you designed? Is a pattern available for it? Just curious - I wouldn't mind trying to make it if I had a pattern I could follow. The lining looks awesome to this untrained eye. Great job and thanks for sharing!!

Here it is.  

Outstanding!

Good Morning, and Happy Friday!

I hope that my fellow midwesterners are doing well after yesterday's insane rain. We had a LOT of flooding in the area (nothing in my neighborhood/house, thank goodness) but I have quite a few friends with very wet basements today, and the Air Force base that is 10 miles away had several parking lots and neighborhoods under water.

That bag is beautiful, and I didn't really see anything in the lining that was a "mistake"!  LOL.  Someone who really appreciates the fact that you made something with your own hands will never look for the mistakes that you feel you made! 

I heard that Chicago area is in a state of emergency due to the flooding that occurred on yesterday Mandymae!  I know it has been raining a lot in northern Indiana from what my family says.  Hoping all who have been in the storms are safe.  We had a bad thunderstorm last night, some times when it thundered, if felt as if my trailor shook!  It got rid of the humidity, though, and instead of being in the 70's and humid when I left for work at 5:30, it was rather chilly and only 45!  What a difference this morning was, I almost went back inside and got a jacket.  I know, though, by the time I get off work it will be back in the 70's.

Last night I ws going through Ravelry and found the crochet-a-long with the squares (I didn't even notice it was posted in here), and there are sooooo many squares that I want to do  now, that I am putting all other crochet up until I make a bunch of squares.  I dug out a bunch of my yarn to start on today at lunch making more squares.  I have one done so far for our april biggest square but want to get a few more done to send, as well as work on June's biggest square (wink wink).  Gonna work on some of these different squares.  I really like the Waldo and thinking about trying that one out to see if I can work it.  Have never done anything like that before!

Everyone have a blessed day and may the storms of life (and in the sky!) stay away from you!

That is a beautiful tote, you did a fantastic job on it.

I love the tote bag, AngelRoseLite! Is this something you designed? Is a pattern available for it? Just curious - I wouldn't mind trying to make it if I had a pattern I could follow. The lining looks awesome to this untrained eye. Great job and thanks for sharing!!

This is the link to my post in show-and-tell.  The links to the patterns are there :)

Outstanding!

That bag is beautiful, and I didn't really see anything in the lining that was a "mistake"!  LOL.  Someone who really appreciates the fact that you made something with your own hands will never look for the mistakes that you feel you made! 

Thanks :)  Believe me, if you saw the wrong side of the lining, you'd see what I meant.  I'm happy so long as the seams hold :lol

I don't know about anyone else, but every time I see a picture of one of these totes where it's open, it reminds me of a pod from a sci-fi movie.  Aliens!!

Yes of course you may join Ann!! I will get you on the list, I also pm'd you!!! thank you!!

Thank you, got your PM!

Here it is.  

It's beautiful!!!

I heard that Chicago area is in a state of emergency due to the flooding that occurred on yesterday Mandymae!  I know it has been raining a lot in northern Indiana from what my family says.  Hoping all who have been in the storms are safe.  We had a bad thunderstorm last night, some times when it thundered, if felt as if my trailor shook!  It got rid of the humidity, though, and instead of being in the 70's and humid when I left for work at 5:30, it was rather chilly and only 45!  What a difference this morning was, I almost went back inside and got a jacket.  I know, though, by the time I get off work it will be back in the 70's.

Last night I ws going through Ravelry and found the crochet-a-long with the squares (I didn't even notice it was posted in here), and there are sooooo many squares that I want to do  now, that I am putting all other crochet up until I make a bunch of squares.  I dug out a bunch of my yarn to start on today at lunch making more squares.  I have one done so far for our april biggest square but want to get a few more done to send, as well as work on June's biggest square (wink wink).  Gonna work on some of these different squares.  I really like the Waldo and thinking about trying that one out to see if I can work it.  Have never done anything like that before!

Everyone have a blessed day and may the storms of life (and in the sky!) stay away from you!

Glad you found the squares on Ravelry and decided to start making some.  They are a lot of fun!

THAT IS AWESOME!! The lining is perfect too, from what I see!! You did a fantastic job!!!!! I can't sew either, but i know I would not be doing it as well as you did, it's looks just perfect!! (Insert a "told ya so"  here please! lol) :clap

THAT IS AWESOME!! The lining is perfect too, from what I see!! You did a fantastic job!!!!! I can't sew either, but i know I would not be doing it as well as you did, it's looks just perfect!! (Insert a "told ya so"  here please! lol) :clap

:lol You're too funny!  I HAD to make it seem like I knew what I was doing.  I didn't want to disappoint you ;)  I found I was able to fake my way through as long as I was using the side not visible to the naked eye.

Hi gals! Busy day here!

What you've been hearing is true for Chicago......an entire city shut down, sink holes swallowing cars, a apartment complex called Four Lakes became one big lake and no one could get in or out......CRAZY! Lucky to be in an upstairs condo! Little K and I are just fine thank goodness!

Picked her up at noon (early dismissal) and drove 45 minutes to my doctor and she sat in for my regular yearly appt, well mostly. Doc was happy I'd lost more weight (62 pounds all together!) and now we are bushed from all the driving,.

Of course had some time before the appt, so HAD to stop at Joanns. Can you believe I was out of white yarn? WHITE! So used two 50% off coupons and got the big RHSS in white. Got plenty now!

Off I go, shower time! You know, after going to any doctor, you feel like freshening up!

Hugs to all!

kuddles

Hi gals! Busy day here!

What you've been hearing is true for Chicago......an entire city shut down, sink holes swallowing cars, a apartment complex called Four Lakes became one big lake and no one could get in or out......CRAZY! Lucky to be in an upstairs condo! Little K and I are just fine thank goodness!

Picked her up at noon (early dismissal) and drove 45 minutes to my doctor and she sat in for my regular yearly appt, well mostly. Doc was happy I'd lost more weight (62 pounds all together!) and now we are bushed from all the driving,.

Of course had some time before the appt, so HAD to stop at Joanns. Can you believe I was out of white yarn? WHITE! So used two 50% off coupons and got the big RHSS in white. Got plenty now!

Off I go, shower time! You know, after going to any doctor, you feel like freshening up!

Hugs to all!

kuddles

Oh, no!!  Thank God you and Little K are okay and home, safe and sound.  I had only heard in passing that Chicago had bad weather.  That's an understatement.  I'm glad you were still able to make it to JoAnn's ;)  Congrats on the weight loss.  What an inspiration you are!  Keep up the fantastic work.  Hope you're all refreshed and that you're now relaxing :hug

Hi gals! Busy day here!

Hugs to all!

kuddles

Prayers are with you. The further north you went the worse the weather got. Hubby got sent to Indianapolis this afternoon will be gone all weekend. He works for a fire and water damage place. They had 110 water damage calls today in Indy alone

Hi gals! Busy day here!

Hugs to all!

kuddles

So glad you and little K are alright.  Congrats on the weight loss!  That's fantastic!  WTG on your yarn purchase.  Can you believe I was just at AC Moore, spent a bundle and didn't get any RHSS white, which I'm just about out of too!  UGH!  Oh well, they usually have it at walmart.

:lol You're too funny!  I HAD to make it seem like I knew what I was doing.  I didn't want to disappoint you ;)  I found I was able to fake my way through as long as I was using the side not visible to the naked eye.

Hey, I sew but when I don't feel like sewing, I get stitch witchery - the press on stuff.  At least you can get the bottom seams to hold and then do  your magic!!!! 

Hi gals! Busy day here!

Hugs to all!

kuddles

If you dont mind me asking, how are you losing the weight?  I could stand to lose at least 100 lbs, and it is a struggle.  I am eating a little better right now, but just looking for some tips from those who have had success in losing!

Hey, I sew but when I don't feel like sewing, I get stitch witchery - the press on stuff.  At least you can get the bottom seams to hold and then do  your magic!!!! 

I knew I had heard of something like that!  Being so new to all this sewing business, it all just swirls in my head like a tornado.  I can't stop it long enough to makes heads or tails of it sometimes.  I keep hoping to find a multi-session sewing course, but no one here seems to teach that anymore.  They're usually one or a couple, and they don't start from scratch.  I regret not taking any home economics or crafting classes in school.  We were pushed to prepare for college, and I was taking all the honors and AP classes but skipped on the real-world stuff.  What a shame!  Especially because I went to a vocational school instead of college.  Ugh.

Archived