Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Hi Everyone,

It's been a busy but fun weekend. The grandkids spent the night on Friday. On Saturday we went to the park and baked cookies before their parents picked them up. Today it was church, lunch with friends and family and then the grandkids came home with me for the afternoon. Their mommy picked them up a little bit ago, I've got things ready for back to work tomorrow and now to crochet. Hope everyone has a great week.

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear from you, Katie!  Poor you and baby.  I'm glad you're getting the necessary treatment for your infection.  I hope it clears and heals soon.

Kuddles, those walks sound wonderful.  It's been kind of cold and overcast the last couple of days.  I was cold all day yesterday at San Juan Capistrano.  The craft fair was smaller than expected.  I didn't find any places selling yarn :cry   I did, however, visit a couple of places during the yarn crawl.  I wanted to go all out and visit several, but I had to manage my time wisely due to the trip and having work to finish.  Next year I'll be ready!  I purchased some beautiful yarn for three spring scarves.  I want to have some beautiful scarves for the nights at the Hollywood Bowl.  I have a shawl I should make as well for those nights.  They'll be perfect for that and for the Pageant of the Masters.  

Our two lucky winners have received their Amour crochet hooks.  I'm told at least one has used it and loves it.  I hope our other winner likes it too :)

It's back to the grindstone for me.  Happy hooking!

Hi Everyone,

It's been a busy but fun weekend. The grandkids spent the night on Friday. On Saturday we went to the park and baked cookies before their parents picked them up. Today it was church, lunch with friends and family and then the grandkids came home with me for the afternoon. Their mommy picked them up a little bit ago, I've got things ready for back to work tomorrow and now to crochet. Hope everyone has a great week.

How fun! Good for you!

Good to hear from you, Katie!  Poor you and baby.  I'm glad you're getting the necessary treatment for your infection.  I hope it clears and heals soon.

Kuddles, those walks sound wonderful.  It's been kind of cold and overcast the last couple of days.  I was cold all day yesterday at San Juan Capistrano.  The craft fair was smaller than expected.  I didn't find any places selling yarn :cry   I did, however, visit a couple of places during the yarn crawl.  I wanted to go all out and visit several, but I had to manage my time wisely due to the trip and having work to finish.  Next year I'll be ready!  I purchased some beautiful yarn for three spring scarves.  I want to have some beautiful scarves for the nights at the Hollywood Bowl.  I have a shawl I should make as well for those nights.  They'll be perfect for that and for the Pageant of the Masters.  

Our two lucky winners have received their Amour crochet hooks.  I'm told at least one has used it and loves it.  I hope our other winner likes it too :)

Bummer....about not enough booths but score on the yarn you bought and your plans for it!

It is officially spring in Chicago.....to have rain (some thunder storms) all week! Little K said 'good no walks!' and I said we'll see...I swear kids have energy to play hard but ask them to take a walk with you....kiss of death! LOL

Everyone have a great day!

kuddles

I know no one wants to hear this, but if you didn't file your IRS taxes I hope you don't get audited....Everyone is leary of the Ides of March...March doesn't matter, it's the Ides of April that everyone should be prepared for...Well I guess the Ides of March IS just a reminder that April 15 is a month away...Enough babble from me for now...Hope the bad weather has passed for everyone and that today is a beautiful day wherever you may be...

Hello, Square Friends!!

I was going through my yarn today and found six squares that are all 8". Three are white and three are gray. The white ones are simply double crochet throughout. The gray squares are done with offset fans. I started making an afghan with the squares but decided to do something else. Rather than frog the few squares I had already made, I just kept them. I'm not going to use them, though, so if any of you are interested in some squares, just shoot me a pm with your address and I'll get them mailed to you. I'd really like to see these squares find a loving home in an afghan that will be treasured by someone rather than stashed away in basket somewhere never to be looked at!

Christel

Good morning!

See, I told you I would check in.

Weather update:  It's snowing and it's suppose to snow for 3 days.  However, we are suppose only get 3 -5 inches today.

I have my charity knit and crochet group tonight if it doesn't snow too much, so I'll check in with all y'all later.

Laurie

I know no one wants to hear this, but if you didn't file your IRS taxes I hope you don't get audited....Everyone is leary of the Ides of March...March doesn't matter, it's the Ides of April that everyone should be prepared for...Well I guess the Ides of March IS just a reminder that April 15 is a month away...Enough babble from me for now...Hope the bad weather has passed for everyone and that today is a beautiful day wherever you may be...

Hi Estee, good to see you back at the thread again, how you doing!! Ready to crochet yet, he he he!

Hello, Square Friends!!

I was going through my yarn today and found six squares that are all 8". Three are white and three are gray. The white ones are simply double crochet throughout. The gray squares are done with offset fans. I started making an afghan with the squares but decided to do something else. Rather than frog the few squares I had already made, I just kept them. I'm not going to use them, though, so if any of you are interested in some squares, just shoot me a pm with your address and I'll get them mailed to you. I'd really like to see these squares find a loving home in an afghan that will be treasured by someone rather than stashed away in basket somewhere never to be looked at!

Christel

So generous an offer, and I bet they are lovely, someone will jump at this, but better do it soon, lol

Good morning!

Weather update:  It's snowing and it's suppose to snow for 3 days.  However, we are suppose only get 3 -5 inches today.

I have my charity knit and crochet group tonight if it doesn't snow too much, so I'll check in with all y'all later.

Laurie

ah you did tell us you would, and you did, makes you an unliar, lol Good luck with the snow the next few days, is this that Xersies storm, or Yogi, I lose track, we will get a bit o rain outta of the one, got hail out of the x one, soooooooo, hey, i just checked the calendar, it's April, why are we getting this crappy weather!!!!!!!!

Hi All!  The sun is peaking it's head out off and on today and it's about 60 degree's!  Yipee!  I need to check, I bet my daffodils are in bloom! Ahhh, I love springtime. We are supposed to have decent weather most of the week and best of all, hubby said he would take me to AC Moore to spend some belated birthday money I have!!!  Oh yea!  I'm really hoping my silly body cooperates so that I can go.  I'm going to take it easy all week and keep my fingers crossed!

Hi Everyone,

Ohhh, your weekend sounds wonderful!

WTG on the yarn purchases.  It sounds like you had a nice time even if you couldn't do everything you had wanted to. 

How fun! Good for you!

Bummer....about not enough booths but score on the yarn you bought and your plans for it!

It is officially spring in Chicago.....to have rain (some thunder storms) all week! Little K said 'good no walks!' and I said we'll see...I swear kids have energy to play hard but ask them to take a walk with you....kiss of death! LOL

Everyone have a great day!

kuddles

Kids are funny, they find energy for anything if it's something they want to do, but if it isn't, "I'm so tired" comes very quickly to their lips, lol.   

There's still time.  Don't we have until midnight? LOL!  I know some people are doing the mad dash to get them done.  We managed to get ours in last week.  I think that's the latest I've ever filed!

Hello, Square Friends!!

Christel

How very generous of you.  I'm sure you'll be able to find a good home for them here.

Good morning!

Laurie

Ewww,  I don't want to hear that nasty word any more until next winter, lol.  I hope you don't get any more than the 3-5" so that you can still have your group tonight.

Man, I picked up a lot of posts to reply to as I was going through! 

Hi, Pat! So glad you're doing better! Keep up the recovery!

That's excellent!! I've got a brother and a brother-in-law in the army, and I wish both would just get out, but they keep re-upping. How wonderful that they're going to be near you!

No kidding! :lol I haven't checked in a few days (I've been having a rough time mentally as well) and I was almost too intimidated to try to catch up. But I did it! Now I just need to convince myself to work on squares or my cousin's quilt or some of the other things that are important, instead of my procrastinator-ghan... (but I got the rose color from my mom earlier than I expected, and I just HAD to see how it was going to look...!)

*nodnod* I have frequently wondered at work why people can't just stay home when they're sick (one woman came in in spite of having no voice for nearly four whole days!), but then I know how much time off we get... the job's great in other respects, but that one, not so much! Sometimes I daydream about how I'd run a multimillion dollar company to make it better for regular workers (It may be mean, but I love the idea of taking those execs that don't do anything but give themselves huge bonuses, getting rid of them, and then splitting their ridiculous salaries up and creating jobs for 12 people who need them) - making sure everybody has adequate time off is a big part of those daydreams!

LOL!  Hey, if you do that, let me know!  I want to throw my hat in for anything clerical then!!!  This is going to be the one thing about working from home that will be great.  of course, even when I don't feel like it, I can't very well call in sick since I will already be home.  But at least I don't have to be around any one else's germs and no one around mine!!!

I agree with everyone about doing something special for Katy!  Even when I disappeared for a number of months, she still sent me a square and asked if everything is ok.

I did NOTHING this weekend!  It was the STrawberry Festival in town and it was so noisy!  I didn't even go, but part of it is just on the other side of the woods behind my home!  My roommate started moving out (yeah!) and soon I will have the place to myself.  I am excited, I guess I am more of a loner than anything!  God will have to work on me about this, since I still do want to get married.  I would like to have children (despite my age! LOL) but I also like the peace and quiet!  Drives me nuts when I am visiting my sister and she has those three very loud boys!!!  Within an hour, I am ready to go home!

Some very nice squares are popping up all over the place!  Cheery colors when it is dreary outside!

Hope everyone has a great week!  As soon as I get done with this overtime, I will be sending out some squares!

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  I watched a documentary on Netflix about how much chemicals there are in our products we use every day... really got me freaked out.  Haha.  I went through all my make up, lotions, and potions and got rid of everything with parabens and talc.  I replaced everything with nontoxic, paraben-free, fragrance-free, artificial color-free products.  I also spent some of the weekend with some great friends I met through a local meetup group.  We're all part of the married and under 30 group.  We went to one of those places where you paint a ceramic piece and then they glaze and fire it for you.  I made a small flower bowl for my mom for mother's day and a big mixing/serving bowl for myself.  I realized when my husband and I hosted Easter at our house for my family, that we didn't have many large serving pieces.  Oops - what a way to figure that one out - while the pasta is almost ready and I'm looking for something to put it in.  Haha.  That's what happens when you try to host family events when you're just getting started-  we don't have a lot of kitchen pieces yet for big events.  We have enough for small gatherings, but not many big serving pieces.

Anyway... enough rambling from me.  Just saying hello and checking in.

Oh!  One more thing....

I got a notice that the post office will no longer be forwarding my mail to my new address.  I have updated my address with KatyAllen, but I know many of you still have my old address.  Please just check with me before mailing anything.  I want to make sure I see all your hard work and beautiful squares! :)

Not trying to hijack the thread but I nominate katyallen8090 to be our June's Biggest Square in honor of her one year anniversary of saving this CAL.  She started the Biggest Square of the Month, has sent out many many squares, keeps the list in order, is involved in multiple charity projects and is just a nice person to know.  I move that we shower her with squares for her current project along with a card of thanks and or a small token of appreciation.   Anyone second that motion?   and if we get a second all in favor say aye.

Let's just make it so!

Not trying to hijack the thread but I nominate katyallen8090 to be our June's Biggest Square in honor of her one year anniversary of saving this CAL.  She started the Biggest Square of the Month, has sent out many many squares, keeps the list in order, is involved in multiple charity projects and is just a nice person to know.  I move that we shower her with squares for her current project along with a card of thanks and or a small token of appreciation.   Anyone second that motion?   and if we get a second all in favor say aye.

Let's just make it so!

Aye!

Hello, Square Friends!!

Christel

PM sent :)

Let's just make it so!

Agreed!!!

Actually, I discovered that if the IRS owes YOU money, it doesn't matter when you file. :D I discovered this little fact earlier this year when, having waited over eight months for 2011's tax refund, I called to find out what was going on and the lady said "We don't have a 2011 return for you." (Yay, crippling depression!  :bang ) Fortunately, when I then asked what I had to do as far as penalties for late filing, she said "Oh, there aren't any when you're due a refund." So yeah, I haven't finished our federal taxes yet this year, though it doesn't seem like it's going to be nearly as bad as last year.

My husband was kinda cross, asking "Ok, are you SURE we're getting a refund??" I was just like, "Dude, unless you got a $100k raise this year that you didn't tell me about, or you changed your withholding status and didn't tell me, yes, we're getting a refund." I was THINKING "Ok, geez, I've done our taxes every year for the last SEVEN YEARS, we've had a multi-thousand dollar refund EVERY YEAR that actually gets BIGGER ever year, YES I am sure we're getting a refund, why the h*** are you questioning me on this???" But I didn't say that because of tact.

Let's just make it so!

Sounds good to me! She's going to have to make two rainbow afghans! :D I've been working on a square pattern for her this weekend, actually - got a lovely center to it, but am currently a little bit stumped on where to go next! This is a lot of exclamation points; something about this board kicks my exclamation mark use into overdrive!

Actually, I discovered that if the IRS owes YOU money, it doesn't matter when you file. :D I discovered this little fact earlier this year when, having waited over eight months for 2011's tax refund, I called to find out what was going on and the lady said "We don't have a 2011 return for you." (Yay, crippling depression!  :bang ) Fortunately, when I then asked what I had to do as far as penalties for late filing, she said "Oh, there aren't any when you're due a refund." So yeah, I haven't finished our federal taxes yet this year, though it doesn't seem like it's going to be nearly as bad as last year.

My husband was kinda cross, asking "Ok, are you SURE we're getting a refund??" I was just like, "Dude, unless you got a $100k raise this year that you didn't tell me about, or you changed your withholding status and didn't tell me, yes, we're getting a refund." I was THINKING "Ok, geez, I've done our taxes every year for the last SEVEN YEARS, we've had a multi-thousand dollar refund EVERY YEAR that actually gets BIGGER ever year, YES I am sure we're getting a refund, why the h*** are you questioning me on this???" But I didn't say that because of tact.

I'm not surprised in the least that there isn't a penalty for late filing when the IRS owes you money...the later you file, the longer they get to hang on to your hard-earned money! (I filed in February, if you couldn't tell...)

Let's just make it so!

I agree! I will try to make something for her, if the first one I makes works out!

On another note...Hi all! How are ya's?! Hope everyone is doing well and taking care!

I went to the craft store and bought some pretty stuff (beads and what-nots) earlier today. I have an idea in my head, and I'm going to try it. I just hope it works! :lol  With any luck, I'll be able to make a few and find out how well they work out!

I shall talk to you all later tho, I'm going to break out the pins and beads...lol   Hope you all have a wonderful week too! :manyheart  and :hug s for all!

Yup this is true!  I haven't filed mine yet either, except the one I owe on (I have to file for 3 states this year),  though my tax lady said you have 3 years to file.  Mine were filed, but they were rejected because of an issue, so now I have to mail them.  And when your federals are rejected, your states are automatically rejected too.  So, I have to mail them all in.  Just wish she'd get them to me, so I can get them to her.  I'd like my money :)

Sounds good to me! She's going to have to make two rainbow afghans! :D I've been working on a square pattern for her this weekend, actually - got a lovely center to it, but am currently a little bit stumped on where to go next! This is a lot of exclamation points; something about this board kicks my exclamation mark use into overdrive!

I agree!!!  Katie is always spoiling us, and she deserves to be spoiled herself!

I was wrong. Ohhhhh, how I was wrong. I thought there wouldn't be any new forms this year, except there IS another form, because last year we took advantage of the childcare flex spending account my husband's company offers. ANOTHER FORM. This makes, roughly, a billionty forms I have to fill out. And THIS one requires that I calculate our earned income separately. I JUST DID IT COMBINED, IRS, AND NOW YOU WANT ME TO DO IT SEPARATELY. AAAAAUGH!

:irk:rant:2magic <--pretend these icons are all combined, so you have the first face being made, then waving its little arms around, and then finally exploding in rage.

Last year's taxes took two solid days and many curses and threats to join the Tea Party. Seriously, my husband actually took the little guy out to play while I worked so he wouldn't be traumatized. I've been working toward starting a side business this year and if I actually manage to do that, we are hiring a tax accountant next year. In January. :angry

I'm not surprised in the least that there isn't a penalty for late filing when the IRS owes you money...the later you file, the longer they get to hang on to your hard-earned money! (I filed in February, if you couldn't tell...)

I thought about filing in February. I really did. I got our local taxes done in February! (Because they have free e-filing... state does, too, but I couldn't find last year's password so I did it on paper last night. And of course, since I didn't do state until last night I couldn't do federal yet.)

It is 11:00, and I have not done any crocheting since the little guy went to bed. I am so done with taxes for tonight. Vive la bonification de trop-perçu!

Good morning!

Taxes? Being 'poor' and having a kid means I get back a lot of my money! Woot! Of course, it is spent before it arrives...

Rain again today. then tomorrow. and the next day. and the next.

Still on the tail end of my cold. Can't it be gone already!

Hope you all have a good one!

kuddles

I am totally in agreement that Katy be our next biggest square plus the special anniversary  recipient.  I have a feeling, Katy, you are going to be outnumbered on this so just accept that in June, you are the biggest square!!! LOL

I woke up this morning and my first thought was AAACCKKKKK!!!  I got busy last night and forgot to take my taxes papers to the post office!  Luckily, though, I am getting a refund!  I will stick them in the mail this morning.

Hope everyone has a blessed day!!!

Kuddles, I sorry you're still feeling under the weather! I hope you get better soon!

It started storming here last night, and it's still at it. At a few points, I thought it was hailing softballs with how hard it was hitting!

Hope everyone is doing well/on the mend! Take care and have a great day all! :hug s for everyone!

Archived