Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Hi All!  I had a wonderful time yesterday at my nephew's grad party.  My how he has grown up in the four years since high school grad.  It rained, so the festivities were held indoors, but they have a large home, so it all worked out and it was wonderful seeing folks that I haven't seen in years.  Now I have to rest up for the birthday party in a couple of  weeks.  Ahhh, summer has begun, lol. 

Mandy, hope your eye is feeling better.  I get styes everyone in a while and they do hurt!  I have to put warm compresses on my eyes frequently to prevent them.  It also helps when you do have them.  Just make sure that you wipe away from your eye and gently or you could end up with a stye in the other eye too! 

Katie, thanks for the update on Estee.  Good to know that she is coming along fine.  As for Hobby Lobby, I would think that they would be open.  Aren't they having a big sale this weekend?  Maybe I'm thinking of someplace else, lol.

Abigail, congrats on the house!!!!

I've already got one square made for Katie, and a second one started... :)

I have been super busy this weekend.  Bought some fresh mustard greens, cooking them up and freezing them into individual serving bags.  Baked some ribs, portioned them out and froze and went and bought a flat of strawberries and doing the same for them.  some are sliced and some are gonna be whole.  I have some zucchini to do  yet as well.  I am pooped!!! lol

Ahh, fresh veggies and strawberries already?  Lucky you.  We still have a couple of months to go before we can look forward to that.

I made a square but was going to discard it.  I figured I'd post a picture in case anyone likes it.  It's about 10" square.  The edges are supposed to have butterflies if you can make them out.  I'm posting a picture with flash and without flash.

The square is beautiful!  Is this the one from Rav?  I'm just finishing up mine and I got to 12" and didn't do the final rnd.  Now I have to sew in all those ends...

Katie, thanks, I am having a wonderful weekend, maybe not quite as restful as needed, but great just the same.  Also, I agree about the Free For All.  This has been a wonderful change and I'd be very happy to do it again.  I'm glad your doggie is keeping a good watch over your flowerbed, lol.  My dog sits in the window and alerts us to anyone/thing that goes by, either on the street or in the yard, lol.  I wasn't so crazy about it at 3:30 this morning since DH was at work, but hey, gottat take the good with the bad, lol.

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on the house!! We're still looking. Went back today to look at one possibility we'd seen before, and... just didn't seem right. It's getting really discouraging. It doesn't help that we already found my dream house and my husband refuses to consider it because it's close to a creek and he's convinced one day the creek is going to flood and destroy everything. Sigh....

You waited until the offer was accepted to start debating which is going to be the craft room? I usually make that decision while we're walking through with the realtor, even when we don't make an offer! :D

I think I was just so excited about the house when we were looking at it that I didn't think much about it lol.  Then when we left, I'm like, "Ok, craft room .. hmmmm ..."  Lol.  Believe me, I have been thinking about one since we left NC a year and a half ago.  I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to "My Future Craft Room"

Congratulations!  How exciting about the house!  Maybe both rooms could be craft rooms ;)

I made a square but was going to discard it.  I figured I'd post a picture in case anyone likes it.  It's about 10" square.  The edges are supposed to have butterflies if you can make them out.  I'm posting a picture with flash and without flash.

I like your idea, though not sure hubby would go for that lol.  I made this square as well.  I think yours turned out really well.  I really wasn't all that thrilled with it when I first saw it, but now I really like it.  I was looking last night, hoping that they'd posted squares for June and I realized I made the wrong square for JulieAnny.  I made the stained glass square square instead of the Spiky Circle.  So I guess I will either have an extra one or someone will be getting it from me soon :)

On a side note, and just because I'm super excited about it, I'm down 27.6lbs this morning!  I'm happy because this is the first time I've stuck with it this long and this is the most I've lost at one time.  Still got a ways to go, but my goal for 2013 is to lose 50lbs, and I think I'll get that!

On a side note, and just because I'm super excited about it, I'm down 27.6lbs this morning!  I'm happy because this is the first time I've stuck with it this long and this is the most I've lost at one time.  Still got a ways to go, but my goal for 2013 is to lose 50lbs, and I think I'll get that!

WTG. What are you doing? I just dont have the will power against chocolate lol

I had forgotten that the butterfly square was this month's Melinda Miller showcase square.  Since everyone is making it, I think I'll discard it.  I can't use it in my niece's afghan because I used the black on it.  Oh, well... it had to happen sometime.  lol.  I might even drop it off at the thrift store.  Someone might want to use it as a trivet or potholder or something else.  

I feel like I have been off for ages!  I don't know what it is about this weekend that has dragged on forever.  I'm going to take a drive and maybe stop at a park.  I'll take my niece.  We can relax and have fun :)

My goodness, so much to reply to!  Love it!   :lol

It is cute. dont throw it away. that is alot of work. I would happily display it. in an afghan.

You're all too nice.  Maybe it's just me.  Do you mean I can send it to you?  

oh maria, that is outstanding! such a colorful bright square, and so creative!! Good job! Yes, it's getting closer to June, but not near fast enough for me, and Puffy, as I call her..........

Oh, almost there ladies, June is fast approaching! I had my hair trimmed the other week, so as not to over stress the June crown, lol 

Free For all, has been a wonderful change up, and if you all agree, we'll do it again, in the future as well!!

All for now, over and out, my doggie sits at the front windows, guarding my flowerbed from any and all  approaching rabbits, when she barks they run off, lol good girl GInger!!!!! My flowers are thriving in this rainy weather!! Don't wanna lose them now!

Thanks :)  I have it by me and just can't get myself to be happy with the results, lol.  I can't unravel it because I use pointy darning needles to really get in there and make the beginning and ending stitches as invisible as possible.  Trouble is that the ends are so embedded in between the plies that I just have to rip.  I might store it in a forgettable place and find it years from now and maybe like it then :lol

I love the idea of having more Free for Alls.  It has been lots of fun.

I miss my doggies!  Sounds like yours is a great guard doggy :)

It's me!!!!!  I got it!!!  Thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!  I love everything!  We went to my nephew's graduation party yesterday and when we got home there was my package!  I was so thrilled. When I calmed down a bit, I took pics, then proceeded to download them to the computer and our INTERNET WAS OUT!!!!!! GRRRR!!!!  It stayed out all night.  I was so happy to see it back this morning so I could thank you and show my goodies.  Kristy sent me four beautiful squares, a hook case with two lovely pens inside and a roll of purple ribbon, and a very pretty journal that she wrote a very nice note in.  I love everything and especially the fact that she used purple, my favorite color.  Thank you so much! :hug

attachicon.giffrom FFA partner-Kristy-drgnlady.jpgattachicon.giffrom FFA partner with hook case open.jpg

Great package!  I love all the colors :hug

Hi All!  I had a wonderful time yesterday at my nephew's grad party.  My how he has grown up in the four years since high school grad.  It rained, so the festivities were held indoors, but they have a large home, so it all worked out and it was wonderful seeing folks that I haven't seen in years.  Now I have to rest up for the birthday party in a couple of  weeks.  Ahhh, summer has begun, lol. 

The square is beautiful!  Is this the one from Rav?  I'm just finishing up mine and I got to 12" and didn't do the final rnd.  Now I have to sew in all those ends...

Katie, thanks, I am having a wonderful weekend, maybe not quite as restful as needed, but great just the same.  Also, I agree about the Free For All.  This has been a wonderful change and I'd be very happy to do it again.  I'm glad your doggie is keeping a good watch over your flowerbed, lol.  My dog sits in the window and alerts us to anyone/thing that goes by, either on the street or in the yard, lol.  I wasn't so crazy about it at 3:30 this morning since DH was at work, but hey, gottat take the good with the bad, lol.

How fun!  I love having get-togethers.  That reminds me that supposedly we're having a family reunion in June.  We'll see if it happens.  We really should for the sake of my cousin and aunt that are battling cancer.  

The square is the one from Ravelry.  I had forgotten where I got it, lol.  I made it smaller.  It's 10".  I'm making another one the full 12" and using better colors.  

Good for your doggy!

I think I was just so excited about the house when we were looking at it that I didn't think much about it lol.  Then when we left, I'm like, "Ok, craft room .. hmmmm ..."  Lol.  Believe me, I have been thinking about one since we left NC a year and a half ago.  I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to "My Future Craft Room"

I like your idea, though not sure hubby would go for that lol.  I made this square as well.  I think yours turned out really well.  I really wasn't all that thrilled with it when I first saw it, but now I really like it.  I was looking last night, hoping that they'd posted squares for June and I realized I made the wrong square for JulieAnny.  I made the stained glass square square instead of the Spiky Circle.  So I guess I will either have an extra one or someone will be getting it from me soon :)

You made the wrong square accidentally, and I didn't realize I'd made the CAL square, lol.  Now you have more goodies to share!  I wish I had been a more avid crocheter when I had my house.  I had one bedroom set up as the office.  There was plenty of room for crafting.  It will happen someday :)

Congratulations!  I keep getting the inspiration and will right when I'm going to sleep and promptly forget when I wake up  :rofl

Who does?  Even being diabetic, there's chocolate I can have.  I wouldn't be happy without it!

Just got home after being gone since yesterday morning, we had a good visit with my mom. Can't catch up now....later!

kuddles

Hi!  Have fun, whatever you're doing  :waving

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend! My eye is MUCH better today, only a little pain and next to no swelling, so I was able to get my contacts in. I've been watching racing and crocheting granny squares for my co-worker who is collecting them. :)

Congrats! You're doing great. It isn't easy, but you can get there! 

Just got home after being gone since yesterday morning, we had a good visit with my mom. Can't catch up now....later!

kuddles

Woot! Kuddles and Kiddles are back! Glad you had a good visit with your mom.

My goodness, so much to reply to!  Love it!   :lol

Great package!  I love all the colors :hug

How fun!  I love having get-togethers.  That reminds me that supposedly we're having a family reunion in June.  We'll see if it happens.  We really should for the sake of my cousin and aunt that are battling cancer.  

The square is the one from Ravelry.  I had forgotten where I got it, lol.  I made it smaller.  It's 10".  I'm making another one the full 12" and using better colors.  

Good for your doggy!

Thanks, it really is nice to see relatives every now and then. When I was younger we were always together. Now people are just too busy. It's kind of sad. As for the square I keep looking at mine too. Not so sure it's one of my favorites, but it's growing on me. I just finished the spiky one and that one is curling and needs to be blocked, I've never blocked a ww acrylic piece before. Wish me luck, lol.

Congrats! You're doing great. It isn't easy, but you can get there! 

Woot! Kuddles and Kiddles are back! Glad you had a good visit with your mom.

Thanks, it really is nice to see relatives every now and then. When I was younger we were always together. Now people are just too busy. It's kind of sad. As for the square I keep looking at mine too. Not so sure it's one of my favorites, but it's growing on me. I just finished the spiky one and that one is curling and needs to be blocked, I've never blocked a ww acrylic piece before. Wish me luck, lol.

If you want fast results, steam block it.  I personally launder everything, and then I block the wet pieces.  That way, they're softer and smell good :)

Yes, it's getting closer to June, but not near fast enough for me, and Puffy, as I call her..........

Its like Christmas packages.  Every day you can look and just dream about what might be in it.  ;)

Weight Watchers, which means I can eat whatever i want.  Not that I do, but I know it's an option and it makes me less likely to cheat.  When I get in the mindset that I can't have it, I crave it way more.  But one of the biggest things with WW is portion control.  I don't eat nearly as much as I did before.  And if I do, I feel horrid.  But I think that you really have to get in the mindset that this is a way of life ... making healthy choices and choosing to work out, otherwise you'll quit.  Ive done weight watchers 4 times now,  The first 3 times, I lost around 20lbs each time and then I just lost interest for one reason or another.  Thinking I can do it myself which doesn't work.  I need the accountability.  I need to keep in mind that I have to go somewhere and step on that scale and some other person is going to see my weight and know whether I've lost or gained.  Even though if I gained, they're just going to give me an encouraging word, but still... 

This time I'm motivated to keep going.  And this time I've also learned to love exercise.  I don't lose every week.  I've had at least 3 separate weeks where I've gained, but that's just part of the process and you have to accept it and move on.  As for chocolate, lol... you're speaking to the chocoholic.  My mother always swore that I had chocolate flowing through my veins.  Hi, my name's Kim and I'm a chocoholic (and a crochetaholic - which by the way is a great activity when you're trying to lose weight.  Hard to eat and crochet).  First, I've stopped craving it as much, but if I want it, I don't stop myself.  I just have it in moderation.  I LOVE m&ms and I buy those 6 packs at Wal Mart or Dollar General for $1.  1 pack is 2 points, and so if I have a few points left over, I have some.  Chocolate craving gone, and I haven't ruined my day.  :)

I also learned to make small goals for myself.  I know that in the back of my mind, my main goal is to lose 98lbs, but 98lbs is a huge mountain to climb and so I don't think about that,  I set very small goals.  I have a checklist on my phone and I cross each one off when I hit it.  I love looking and seeing a list of checked off milestones, even though some of them are very close, but who cares.  I sure don't.  I also have two jars set up and every time I lose a pound, I move a marble from one jar to the other.  All the little things help keep me focused.  Right now I'm working for 30lbs lost.  My hubby told me he'd buy me a charm bracelet then and a charm for every 10lbs after that.  I told him today he'd better get his money ready .. I only have 2.4 more pounds to go!

WW is how I've lost over 60 pounds and so far, keeping it off! But walking for me is key, without exercise, I can't keep it up! Good for you on your loss, you can do it!!!

kuddles

Weight Watchers, which means I can eat whatever i want.  Not that I do, but I know it's an option and it makes me less likely to cheat.  When I get in the mindset that I can't have it, I crave it way more.  But one of the biggest things with WW is portion control.  I don't eat nearly as much as I did before.  And if I do, I feel horrid.  But I think that you really have to get in the mindset that this is a way of life ... making healthy choices and choosing to work out, otherwise you'll quit.  Ive done weight watchers 4 times now,  The first 3 times, I lost around 20lbs each time and then I just lost interest for one reason or another.  Thinking I can do it myself which doesn't work.  I need the accountability.  I need to keep in mind that I have to go somewhere and step on that scale and some other person is going to see my weight and know whether I've lost or gained.  Even though if I gained, they're just going to give me an encouraging word, but still... 

This time I'm motivated to keep going.  And this time I've also learned to love exercise.  I don't lose every week.  I've had at least 3 separate weeks where I've gained, but that's just part of the process and you have to accept it and move on.  As for chocolate, lol... you're speaking to the chocoholic.  My mother always swore that I had chocolate flowing through my veins.  Hi, my name's Kim and I'm a chocoholic (and a crochetaholic - which by the way is a great activity when you're trying to lose weight.  Hard to eat and crochet).  First, I've stopped craving it as much, but if I want it, I don't stop myself.  I just have it in moderation.  I LOVE m&ms and I buy those 6 packs at Wal Mart or Dollar General for $1.  1 pack is 2 points, and so if I have a few points left over, I have some.  Chocolate craving gone, and I haven't ruined my day.  :)

Today will be a wet Memorial Day. Kiddles and I might hunker down for the most part.......which after travelling to my mom's Sat/Sun, I'm ready for! Plus some SIL drama, she takes everything wrong and I always end up the bad guy. Which I'm not, but I always take the high road and apologize which I'm tired of, but I do it. Well you don't need to hear about my issues!

Have a super great day! I finished the daisy squares while at moms and will now do the gusset and put it together! Woot!

kuddles

Good morning everyone,

I've been busy with the grandkids the past couple of days but will be spending today in my sewing room and maybe some crocheting later.

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday.

Good morning all, Happy Memorial Day!  Hope everyone has a great day!  I, personally, will be working.  I brought some work home with me, it's either that or not get paid for the day!!!  I don't have family down here besides my church family but I like being by myself sometimes.  When I take a break, will probaby be working on more squares.  Also need to finish cleaning and doing something with my strawberries.  Maybe I will go and get some canning jars to make strawberry jam or preserves, not sure which yet, and get a grater so

I can grate some of my zucchini for bread later!  Got lots to do, little gumption to do it today!!! LOL. 

For some reason I got really sick at our second service yesterday afternoon.  Spent most of the late afternoon relaxing and sleeping.  Kinda feeling a little woozy today, maybe if I make some coffee I will be better.  Might have been caffeine withdrawals!!!

Thinking of starting to look for a cheaper place to move to.  My pastor was talking to me about it, but my lease isn't up until the end of October.  I hate moving, but if I can find a place that is cheaper, that may be what I need to do.  Praying about this that God will guide me to where he wants me to go.  Need to have a two bedroom, so I can have my office/craft room!

Anyways, supposedly my package will be delivered tomorrow!  The package is headed north of me, but that doesn't tell ya anything because anywhere besides lower Floriday is north of me!! LOL!  Have a great day all and happy hooking!!!

Hi all! I woke up feeling ill this morning, so I'm just resting and taking it easy. Been playing Pogo games and will switch to my hooks shortly. Hope you all enjoy the holiday.

If you want fast results, steam block it.  I personally launder everything, and then I block the wet pieces.  That way, they're softer and smell good :)

Thanks for the advise.I think that I will launder it and block it that way. I don't have the energy to set up the ironing board, lol.

You seem to have the right mind set. I'm sure you'll do good!

I also learned to make small goals for myself.  I know that in the back of my mind, my main goal is to lose 98lbs, but 98lbs is a huge mountain to climb and so I don't think about that,  I set very small goals.  I have a checklist on my phone and I cross each one off when I hit it.  I love looking and seeing a list of checked off milestones, even though some of them are very close, but who cares.  I sure don't.  I also have two jars set up and every time I lose a pound, I move a marble from one jar to the other.  All the little things help keep me focused.  Right now I'm working for 30lbs lost.  My hubby told me he'd buy me a charm bracelet then and a charm for every 10lbs after that.  I told him today he'd better get his money ready .. I only have 2.4 more pounds to go!

Woot! That's fantastic!!!

Today will be a wet Memorial Day. Kiddles and I might hunker down for the most part.......which after travelling to my mom's Sat/Sun, I'm ready for! Plus some SIL drama, she takes everything wrong and I always end up the bad guy. Which I'm not, but I always take the high road and apologize which I'm tired of, but I do it. Well you don't need to hear about my issues!

Have a super great day! I finished the daisy squares while at moms and will now do the gusset and put it together! Woot!

kuddles

Looking forward to seeing the bag. You always make such wonderful bags!

Good morning everyone,

I've been busy with the grandkids the past couple of days but will be spending today in my sewing room and maybe some crocheting later.

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday.

Ahhh, grandkid time, how wonderful. Hope you can relax now sewing/crocheting...

Good morning all, Happy Memorial Day!  Hope everyone has a great day!  I, personally, will be working.  I brought some work home with me, it's either that or not get paid for the day!!!  I don't have family down here besides my church family but I like being by myself sometimes.  When I take a break, will probaby be working on more squares.  Also need to finish cleaning and doing something with my strawberries.  Maybe I will go and get some canning jars to make strawberry jam or preserves, not sure which yet, and get a grater so

I can grate some of my zucchini for bread later!  Got lots to do, little gumption to do it today!!! LOL. 

For some reason I got really sick at our second service yesterday afternoon.  Spent most of the late afternoon relaxing and sleeping.  Kinda feeling a little woozy today, maybe if I make some coffee I will be better.  Might have been caffeine withdrawals!!!

Thinking of starting to look for a cheaper place to move to.  My pastor was talking to me about it, but my lease isn't up until the end of October.  I hate moving, but if I can find a place that is cheaper, that may be what I need to do.  Praying about this that God will guide me to where he wants me to go.  Need to have a two bedroom, so I can have my office/craft room!

Anyways, supposedly my package will be delivered tomorrow!  The package is headed north of me, but that doesn't tell ya anything because anywhere besides lower Floriday is north of me!! LOL!  Have a great day all and happy hooking!!!

Hope you feel better. I'm sure that you will find/decide the right place for you.

ah, internet is back up, was down when I tried to get on this am, and tried calling, but waiting forever with a recorded "your call is important' message, so hung up shut it down, and went off and did something else, now it's up and running fine again!!

kind of a rainy start this am, but has cleared out for the most part, and is turning into a nice day after all.

Been doing l ittle chores, now taking a break and might crochet a bit a little later. Hope you all have a great Memorial Day!!

I hope you are feeling better!

Happy Memorial Day to everyone.  My youngest brother served in the Navy right before and at the start of this last war.  It was a very scary time, especially with his ship stranding them a couple of times on the Gulf.  That ship was finally decommissioned.  I pray that all our servicemen and women are safe and come back home soon.  May those that have fallen be resting in peace.

My SIL and niece are leaving to Vegas today and returning on Thursday.  I'm going to miss them, especially little Marie!  It's going to be too quiet around here, with no one to bang on my door, saying, "Let me in, Tia Maria.  Let me in!  I have to show you something!"  Tricky little girl :)

:hug to everyone.

I was working on a square for Katie, and then about halfway through, i remembered that she wants solid colors! This square has 3 colors! The pattern is also 9" instead of 8", so it's a little too big for me to put into my friendshipghan.

So...my question is...does anyone want this square?!? It's so pretty, I hate to just let it sit around! I made it using Caron pounders in white, peach, and ocean.

post-35506-0-57113500-1369691016_thumb.jpg

I was working on a square for Katie, and then about halfway through, i remembered that she wants solid colors! This square has 3 colors! The pattern is also 9" instead of 8", so it's a little too big for me to put into my friendshipghan.

So...my question is...does anyone want this square?!? It's so pretty, I hate to just let it sit around! I made it using Caron pounders in white, peach, and ocean.

It's a very pretty square.  I am sure someone will want it.  With the addition of a few more rounds it would easily work up into a 12 incher.

Archived