Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

lil_mama now you really must be careful until all your owies are gone. Youv'e got a perfect excuse for sitting with your feet up and crocheting.

We have been faithfully attending the KC bonsai society's workshops for 7 years. There is so much to learn and many ways to approach it, ie buying one and maintaining it to buying nursery stock or digging up things in your yard and developing it. This is our best tree when we purchased it.attachicon.gifBonsai 080.jpg Then this is after pruning and wiring attachicon.gifBonsai 088.jpg This is two years later after some maintenance pruning and rewiring attachicon.gifDSCF0294.JPG In the first photo it had overgrown. In bonsai you are supposed to be able to see the trunk. It seems counterproductive but now I have to keep pinching the new buds off when they are about the size of a grain of rice. Sorry this may be more than most wanted to see or hear about.

Thank you for sharing your pictures with me....Your bonsai looks AWESOME...I have ALOT to learn apparently....lol....And yes now that my public schooler's are out of school, more crocheting time for me...

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone! Been running around a lot these last couple of weeks. Good news, I managed to find a new job after getting laid off in April! I start on Monday! I'm excited/nervous about it!

Congratulations on your new job...

lil_mama now you really must be careful until all your owies are gone. Youv'e got a perfect excuse for sitting with your feet up and crocheting.

We have been faithfully attending the KC bonsai society's workshops for 7 years. There is so much to learn and many ways to approach it, ie buying one and maintaining it to buying nursery stock or digging up things in your yard and developing it. This is our best tree when we purchased it.attachicon.gifBonsai 080.jpg Then this is after pruning and wiring attachicon.gifBonsai 088.jpg This is two years later after some maintenance pruning and rewiring attachicon.gifDSCF0294.JPG In the first photo it had overgrown. In bonsai you are supposed to be able to see the trunk. It seems counterproductive but now I have to keep pinching the new buds off when they are about the size of a grain of rice. Sorry this may be more than most wanted to see or hear about.

I found it informative,I've seen bonsai in Hawaii,but never knew the maintainance side of it

:waving

This little guy made me smile and even chuckle a littlebit. Just the fact that someone said Hi alll and you simply respond with a wave

attachicon.gifIMG_20140612_120020_kindlephoto-44895307.jpg

Here's the Afghan (a little disheveled) I am working currently.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140612_114728_kindlephoto-44169918.jpg

And here is the granny square in Blueberry (gumdrop-rh). I used the same pattern but after reminding myself of the first round I continued to finish it all on my own. That's a first!

Looking good. 

Hello everyone! Been running around a lot these last couple of weeks. Good news, I managed to find a new job after getting laid off in April! I start on Monday! I'm excited/nervous about it!

WTG

LIL MAMA prayers for healings

Blessings abound.  Here is my praise.  Sunday pastor preached on finacial blessings and anointed our purses and billfolds.  Monday on a walk I found a nickle. I gave it to the little neighbor girl. Tuesday I found 18 pennies on the ground. I put it in the church offereing Today at work I won a 50.00 gift card and my 4 hours turned into 9. If I give that 50.00 gift card away can you imagine the return that God will give me?

Oh my gosh lil mama, that looks absolutely painful!! You poor thing, and now your ankle too, you have my sympathy for sure!!

:waving
You just amaze me with all your sewing projects. You do such a nice job. I love your purse. Your grandkids are lucky to have such a talented grandma to make such cute things for them. I generally use one chain but sometimes no chain depending on how it looks. I often pull squares apart and modify the pattern a bit to make them come out square. Sometimes there is enough difference in the thickness of the yarn that the pattern works well for one but not for the other.
I didn't go to the dr or take anything for pain either. Surprisingly I think I was the most comfortable with a kitchen chair as it was easier to get up and down and it was better keep moving and not sit too long. Seems like by the end of the day it would be better but the next morning you start all over. Laying in bed seemed to pull on it and make it hurt more as did driving (it was my right leg)-----depressing the gas pedal made it feel like I had pulled it all over again. I understand the pain you are in.

I have mostly perennials and usually plant marigolds but didn't last year and haven't yet this year. My avatar is some of my daffodils. They along with the peonies, day lillies, surprise lillies, iris, and hibiscus all need to be thinned out and reset. I also have purple cone flowers, black eyed susans, sweet pea, ajugas, sedums, white spirea, japanese spirea, lilacs, mock orange, forsythias, 1 rose bush, wisteria, and our bonsai trees. Then you can add in the muliflora rose,honeysuckle, buck brush, poison ivy, etc---------its a jungle. If it wasn't raining again I should be outside working.

I hear that, in fact, once Im up, until it bothers me too much, i like to stay up, lol and lying down, well lets just say, that is hit and miss, lol my bed is high, and i have to use my right un injured leg to heist in it, cause the injured one is the left, and getting that which is backwards for me, is proving to be a real effort, lol Once Im in bed, I lie as still as I can, till something starts hurting, and then have to either turn over, which in this case requires getting out of bed, ha ha, and or staying up and walking a bit,,,,Either way, glad when it heals, read it can take a long time,      drat!!    You must not have any grass!!! Wow, you have a lot of flowers too, you lucky dogs!!! My yard is small, so I keep them to the flower beds, and planted pots, but I would love to have some of yours along my fence line, lol

attachicon.gifIMG_20140612_120020_kindlephoto-44895307.jpg

Here's the Afghan (a little disheveled) I am working currently.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140612_114728_kindlephoto-44169918.jpg

And here is the granny square in Blueberry (gumdrop-rh). I used the same pattern but after reminding myself of the first round I continued to finish it all on my own. That's a first!

That is beautiful!! Loe your squares, they are so pretty!!

Reiann-those look great....I love the colors as well...

bgs- I also love bonsai...Wish I could get the hang of it...I bought a little juniper (I think that's what it is..lol) and I'm afraid to style it..So I'm just letting it grow....

katy-hope you feel better....You'll never guess what I did yesterday....lol...My husband asked how my leg was, I said it was ok..He asked if I was up for a walk by the creek so he could show me a flower...I said OK...Then he's like, can we go a bit further...I said alright...Well, I stumbled and twisted my ankle a tiny bit...Now my ankle is bruised...The swelling has gone down quite a bit....So today was the girls' last day of school..I'm gonna be sitting and keeping off it...

attachicon.gif10420275_765856843435989_2684395368761988371_n.jpg

Reiann-those look great....I love the colors as well...

bgs- I also love bonsai...Wish I could get the hang of it...I bought a little juniper (I think that's what it is..lol) and I'm afraid to style it..So I'm just letting it grow....

katy-hope you feel better....You'll never guess what I did yesterday....lol...My husband asked how my leg was, I said it was ok..He asked if I was up for a walk by the creek so he could show me a flower...I said OK...Then he's like, can we go a bit further...I said alright...Well, I stumbled and twisted my ankle a tiny bit...Now my ankle is bruised...The swelling has gone down quite a bit....So today was the girls' last day of school..I'm gonna be sitting and keeping off it...

attachicon.gif10420275_765856843435989_2684395368761988371_n.jpg

Good morning! We returned from our trip and we had a fantastic time! I even went down a tube at the water park! That is amazing for this 57 year old mama!

Can't catch up this morning, gotta go to work so I'll just say hi and hope everyone is well!

kuddles

post-71930-0-61734700-1402670009_thumb.jpg

Apple square redone without tutorials. It is my first "perfect" square I think. Completed the Cherry rows on my ghan, now onto the Apple rows. Celebrating my dad-in-law's birthday today with my husband, we have a show to do tomorrow when the rest of his family is throwing dad a surprise party. The band will be only twenty minutes away from home, not a state or two as per usual lately. That's a relief. Got my national society of collegiate scholars certificate yesterday (pin, windshield decal, and newspaper announcement as well) yay! Thank you katyallen for ur squares I love the colors! I have 6 now, cannot wait for more. Thanks to everyone!! 

First Poster of the Day, woo hoo, congratz Linda!!

Good morning everyone,I'm amazed I'm the first one here

healing good thoughts for all who have owies,those traveling be safe on your journeys

Oh cool, soo glad you had such a good time, good to have you back too!

Good morning! We returned from our trip and we had a fantastic time! I even went down a tube at the water park! That is amazing for this 57 year old mama!

Can't catch up this morning, gotta go to work so I'll just say hi and hope everyone is well!

kuddles

Oh you are certainly welcome Rachel, glad you liked them, I love your newest square, boy they are sure pretty!! What brand yarn is gumdrop, might have to find some, he he he,,,,,,

attachicon.gifIMG_20140613_102300_kindlephoto-57721007.jpg

Apple square redone without tutorials. It is my first "perfect" square I think. Completed the Cherry rows on my ghan, now onto the Apple rows. Celebrating my dad-in-law's birthday today with my husband, we have a show to do tomorrow when the rest of his family is throwing dad a surprise party. The band will be only twenty minutes away from home, not a state or two as per usual lately. That's a relief. Got my national society of collegiate scholars certificate yesterday (pin, windshield decal, and newspaper announcement as well) yay! Thank you katyallen for ur squares I love the colors! I have 6 now, cannot wait for more. Thanks to everyone!! 

As for the rest of us, off to a slow start, but Im moving better I think today, so have a couple errands to run, get front line for the pets, and a card for a friend's b day, and and and, lol have a great day everyone, is it Friday already???????

mandymae, glad you stopped by, congrats on the job

dragn :waving I love these guys but when the forum had the big change over they aren't as easy to use plus they limited the number you could use in a single post so I don't use them much anymore. That's so awsome about the nickle turning into $50. I hope the blessings keep coming your way. And might I ask who that is in your avatar today, That's neat shot of whoever it is.

kuddles, its good to see your sunflower back, it always gives me a good feeling.

pineknott, I bet those bonsai in Hawaii were gorgeous. We have a hard time with them in the midwest because of our extreme temp fluctuation. Contrary to popular belief they are not "houseplants". They live outside as much as possible. Here we have to bring tropicals in for the winter but some trees need cold to go through their normal cycle and are wintered outside with protection. We have to try to meet each tree's specific needs.

reiann, your squares are looking better and better, hope the show goes well.

katy, I wish you were a little closer so you could get some of my plants. Most of the things that have survived here were given to me by friends and family. The peonies and the double orange day lilies were from a dear friend (via my sister's yard) who has passed away while the spireas and wisteria were from my grandma's yard (via my dad's yard). I would set things out and if they survived, they would just sit there for 3 or 4 years and then bloomed and were pretty. We have 5 acres so we do have lots of grass to mow. The sun is out this morning and it wasn't too hot so I was a good girl and freed several of my little pine trees from the honeysuckle vines that were strangling them. I understand the in and out of bed issue with your injury. I think i slept some in my recliner and used the hotpad a lot. Our bed is against the wall and I am the lucky one that has to crawl in and out from the foot of it (at least there is no footboard). Getting in and out of the tub for a shower was tricky along and well since we are in the bathroom anything sitting down and getting up hurt. It's just amazing how much we rely on that muscle to get us through everyday activities :hug:hug:hug

Hello Everyone  :waving

Thanks for the compliments on my sewing projects.

lil_mama, I hope you heal quickly.

kuddles, glad to hear you had a good time on your trip.

reiann, your squares and afghan are very pretty. I only .use chains on the corners when I make basic granny squares.

bgs, your tree is amazing, I'm a little jealous of those of you who can grow plants and flowers, I can't. My mother always had beautiful plants and flowers until she started having health problems but when she would go on vacation she would tell me to leave the plants alone because they had a better chance of surviving without my care.

dragnlady, sounds like you're have a very blessed week.

mandymae, congratulations on the job.

I'm not sure where the energy came from but this morning I cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed and mopped all the floors, went to Joanns and the grocery store, mended a shirt and a pair of shorts and pleated a piece of fabric for a smocking project that I'm getting ready to start. I think I'm finally getting back to myself but still a little stuffy. DD2 and I are going to dinner tonight, not sure where but we'll figure that out when she gets here. Guess thats about it for me. Have a great day everyone.

mandymae, glad you stopped by, congrats on the job

dragn :waving I love these guys but when the forum had the big change over they aren't as easy to use plus they limited the number you could use in a single post so I don't use them much anymore. That's so awsome about the nickle turning into $50. I hope the blessings keep coming your way. And might I ask who that is in your avatar today, That's neat shot of whoever it is.

That is Me.  :D  it was a selfie of me and my mamma at Walmart and these hats were on the shelf so I had to try one one

hi to all, and everyone!!

Feeling better today, less pain I think, I even walked around in walmart this am, so couldn't have done that last week, lol

Those trees are certainly lovely Bgs, i wouldn't know where to start with one, are they a special tree, I mean is Bonsai a tree, or a proceedure, Im very much not in the know with trees! lol

Congrats to dragnlady, and mandymae on the good luck!

lil mama, hope you are healing as well.

and anyone else I may have missed, hello how war ya!!

And yeah, it's likeyou can only use three now, of the emoticons, that just won't cut it for me, lol

Well, got my running done, got the dinner for sunday planned, dear daughter and son in law, are bringing desert, banana cream, and chocolate silk pies from Village Inn, umm, who needs anything else, lolol

Gotta run, gonna look up a peanut butter cookie recipe, i have lots of peanut butter!!  take care all......

hi to all, and everyone!!

Feeling better today, less pain I think, I even walked around in walmart this am, so couldn't have done that last week, lol

Those trees are certainly lovely Bgs, i wouldn't know where to start with one, are they a special tree, I mean is Bonsai a tree, or a proceedure, Im very much not in the know with trees! lol

Congrats to dragnlady, and mandymae on the good luck!

lil mama, hope you are healing as well.

and anyone else I may have missed, hello how war ya!!

And yeah, it's likeyou can only use three now, of the emoticons, that just won't cut it for me, lol

Well, got my running done, got the dinner for sunday planned, dear daughter and son in law, are bringing desert, banana cream, and chocolate silk pies from Village Inn, umm, who needs anything else, lolol

Gotta run, gonna look up a peanut butter cookie recipe, i have lots of peanut butter!!  take care all......

Bonsai is not a particular species of tree but a living art form.   It literally translates as tree in pot or tray.  Basically it is never finished until it is dead ( and we have a lot of those)  You can make bonsai out of most anything that makes a woody stem, keeping in mind you want it to look proportional in the pot so we look for things with smaller leaves.  They use bushes like azaleas, cotoneaster, barberry, pyracanthia,wisteria, forsythia, etc, tropicals such as ficus, jade, dieffenbachia,schefflera,etc, and trees such as smaller leafed maples and oaks, hornbeam, and pines, yews,  and junipers. You are trying to mimic an old tree in nature on a smaller scale.  So besides trying learn how to design trees and the techniques required you also have to learn how to keep your particular tree alive.  You have to try to mimic the conditions where your tree would naturally be found.  Does it like to be kept wet or dry, does it need cold to go through a dormancy cycle or is it tropical and not tolerate temps below 50 degrees---------there is a lot to learn and it is interesting. Bonsai is the Japanese form which comes from China where it is called penjing (they use figurines but the Japanese do not).  I am not good at design but we are fortunate to have a lady in our group that is very good.  

yeah I really hate the limit on the little   :) .  

oh yes, and when I am sitting, anywhere, the heating pad is on, it does help bgs, and thanks!

It's kind of like your new best friend  ;)

I need a blessing on my pocketbook too. I need it more than ever!!

Sorry I've haven't been posting... I'm trying to get out of the dumps but it's not working.

I feel so bad for my grandson and what the thing does to him. I just wish I could help but my hands are so tied up.

Having to take him back my heart is so hurting and heavy. I just don't know what to do....I'm so lost!!

So if I don't post please forgive me...

Good evening everyone ! Ive been busy the last few days with my mom. Shes on me about setting up my wedding ( finally) and shes actually excited and just crazy LOL. Youve heard of bridezilla right? well this is momzilla :) but its ok bc im just happy that shes excited to be helping.

I found my bouquet too. I have to wait till tomorrow to order it off of ebay. And then we are going to take it to michaels and have them make smaller similar ones for my bridesmaids.

Oh and when we get marries it will be in downtown saint louis on the Tom Sawyer riverboat. how cool?!

:hug and Ill see you all later

post-39682-0-60962800-1402713699_thumb.jpg

post-39682-0-51772200-1402713711_thumb.jpg

Good night everyone! Slowly trying to get caught up. O_o I'm up to early June, finally! So some of these will be old. >:-D

Welcome on board Reiann! I'm curious, what sort of band is your DH in? If you mentioned anywhere I haven't gotten to it yet. :D

Congrats to Cindy and Lucy!!! I was so glad to see pictures. After the last time I logged in I went a few days and suddenly thought "OMG Cindy!! I wonder how they are if the baby is here yet I don't remember the due date but it's got to be soon oh man!!" And then didn't get to log on for a while, but there you are.

I've been trying to get a lot more on top of household chores and things. I think it's working (hooray for HabitRPG!) but I haven't been able to work my crafting into the same sort of organization yet. And I really, really have to finish this quilt I keep procrastinating on! So I'm going to try to check in more often but I don't have a lot of yarning going on that's not utilitarian (stepping up my cleaning means I need a couple more dish cloths and such...)

Good night everyone! Bed now for me! Hooray for Saturday!!

Good morning all..  Viking good to see you. Owl vamp Prayers for showers of blessings. While on the prayer subjext. SOme of you I have on facebook page I posted a video last night. the the two about 20 minutes from me is a little 2 year old boy. He has gotten sick with Ecoli and it has nearly killed the little man. Yesterday he had to have surgery to remove part of his colon. Go watch the Video if you want but take tissues with you. I dont know the family but he is from my county. Alot of peple I know know him. If you call could just say a prayer for Callen Bird and family I would apperciate it. More prayers go up more blessings come down. 

Well off to work.  Love ya all

Good Morning Everyone!

Prayers are being said for all who need them.

Dinner with DD last night was very nice, we went to Outback and I ate too much but it was so yummy. 

Today I'm doing laundry and working on a smocking insert for a dress, nothing too exciting which is fine with me. 

Have a good day.

Good morning everyone

nice bouquet Immafreek,oh a riverboat,sounds so exciting

Owlvamp,continued prayers for you

Dragnlady5,prayers that the little guy pulls through to good health

cshort.I've always loved how smocking looks but never tried it

Good morning all! Sounds like quite a few need a prayer so I'll offer one up for each of you! And a hug!

Still trying to 'catch' up......we got back Thursday afternoon but had to go to work yesterday, then we went right to a family party so I haven't had time to catch my breath! Today I finally can....

We will be driving my poor messed up embroidery machine (I hit the hoop while in it with my chair) to the closest dealer which is almost an hour away. I pray it doesn't cost much to fix, but it could. But it is embroidery-only so if I don't fix it, I can't use it at all so......plus we have our usual errands to run.

Everyone have a good one!

kuddles

Hi ya Viking, thought we lost you woman!!! good to see you posting again!!

Good night everyone! Slowly trying to get caught up. O_o I'm up to early June, finally! So some of these will be old. >:-D

Welcome on board Reiann! I'm curious, what sort of band is your DH in? If you mentioned anywhere I haven't gotten to it yet. :D

Congrats to Cindy and Lucy!!! I was so glad to see pictures. After the last time I logged in I went a few days and suddenly thought "OMG Cindy!! I wonder how they are if the baby is here yet I don't remember the due date but it's got to be soon oh man!!" And then didn't get to log on for a while, but there you are.

I've been trying to get a lot more on top of household chores and things. I think it's working (hooray for HabitRPG!) but I haven't been able to work my crafting into the same sort of organization yet. And I really, really have to finish this quilt I keep procrastinating on! So I'm going to try to check in more often but I don't have a lot of yarning going on that's not utilitarian (stepping up my cleaning means I need a couple more dish cloths and such...)

Good night everyone! Bed now for me! Hooray for Saturday!!

Always so sad, when children get so sick..........

Good morning all..  Viking good to see you. Owl vamp Prayers for showers of blessings. While on the prayer subjext. SOme of you I have on facebook page I posted a video last night. the the two about 20 minutes from me is a little 2 year old boy. He has gotten sick with Ecoli and it has nearly killed the little man. Yesterday he had to have surgery to remove part of his colon. Go watch the Video if you want but take tissues with you. I dont know the family but he is from my county. Alot of peple I know know him. If you call could just say a prayer for Callen Bird and family I would apperciate it. More prayers go up more blessings come down. 

Well off to work.  Love ya all

Hey Carol, good for you, a YOU day, lol

Good Morning Everyone!

Prayers are being said for all who need them.

Dinner with DD last night was very nice, we went to Outback and I ate too much but it was so yummy. 

Today I'm doing laundry and working on a smocking insert for a dress, nothing too exciting which is fine with me. 

Have a good day.

Hi ya Linda, how is the wrist doing, getting so you can do more with it, or not quite yet...

Good morning everyone

nice bouquet Immafreek,oh a riverboat,sounds so exciting

Owlvamp,continued prayers for you

Dragnlady5,prayers that the little guy pulls through to good health

cshort.I've always loved how smocking looks but never tried it

Imafreak........ A RIVERBOAT you say, how romantic, love the bouquet, the colors are gorgeous!

Good morning all! Sounds like quite a few need a prayer so I'll offer one up for each of you! And a hug!

Still trying to 'catch' up......we got back Thursday afternoon but had to go to work yesterday, then we went right to a family party so I haven't had time to catch my breath! Today I finally can....

We will be driving my poor messed up embroidery machine (I hit the hoop while in it with my chair) to the closest dealer which is almost an hour away. I pray it doesn't cost much to fix, but it could. But it is embroidery-only so if I don't fix it, I can't use it at all so......plus we have our usual errands to run.

Everyone have a good one!

kuddles

aw, hope all is well with the machine, and you get it fixed promptly, and cheaply!!

Nothing much new here, making some peanut butter cookies later, the recipie says to chill the dough for an hour, so that is what Im doing right now, lol

Our neighbor gave us two very large t bones, for handyman helping fix their shed, so we're throwing those on the grill later, yummy.. She also got me a bouquet of flowers, how nice, I didn't help with the shed, lol but she said, it's cause I let him help them, lol ok, ill buy that!! Nice neighbors huh....I bet you all have some good neighbors too, anyone got a story to tell, lol

as for those needing a hug, here's a group one, hope all your troubles and what ever is troubling you get solved up soon!!

:ghug

tomorrow is fried chicken fingers, made only the way handyman can make them, delish, potato salad, and pies, yay, from village inn, best in the state.. Do you all have Village Inns where you live, I always pick there when it's my turn to pick where we go for brunch!!

So much i wanna do, have to do, around here, but don't wanna do anything too strenuous yet, as to re-injur myself, so it will wait, so what if the carpet waits another week or two to get shampooed, right, just gonna get walked on again anyway, lol I do manage to keep the main rooms all nice and clean, but some of the jobs, like closets, and or storage areas,and heavier housework, will have to wait, Im guessing!!

Allm for now, everyone have a great weekend!!   time to put in some cookies!!!!! did anyone out there ever try peanut butter cookies, with walnuts, and then some choco chips??? Im about to!! lol, Ill let ya know!!

stormy weather, tor con 5, will be watching the weather this evening...Umm steaks were delish!! and the cookies, excellent, best I ever tasted!! I had several with butterscotch chips in them, and oh boy, to die for.. Im doing choc chip peanut butter ones, tomorrow, for that very generous neighbor!!    yummy good, try it!

Archived