Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days. Felicia has come down with Chickenpox (do you call them that in the USA?), I've been Grandma-sitting whilst she is up here visiting and my Mum has been out at work and... to top it all off... we've had a huge problem rear its ugly head in our apartment causing health concerns and the need to move ASAP! Jeez, if its not one thing its another at the moment. It seems like all I do is pop onto this thread and complain about stuff recently. Sorry about that.

I haven't crocheted in a couple of days because I'm either completely knackered, Felicia has been clingy or I've been getting early nights.

Bleh..... Please can I be dealt a new hand? These cards are crap!

You poor thing!

Well I for one am right there with you! This last week especially.......I want a do over!

kuddles

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh my!!! LOL!!! I've not done that but....I've been hooking while getting sleepy and crocheted my hair into a square once. I stood up to go to bed and there was a square dangling from my hair. Right after that a sweet friend on here sent me a box of hair bands. LOL!

This totally cracks me up!!!!! :laughroll

You poor thing!

Well I for one am right there with you! This last week especially.......I want a do over!

kuddles

do over granted to all that need it! By the power vested in me by the Yarn HIll Council!! everyone, take a break, collect your thoughts, have a cuppa something, and some chocolate! lol that ought to help!

Sigh.......Carb Queen here (me) has been told, by her doctor, to go on a gluten-free diet.

You see, ever since 2002, I've had this heinous joint pain that my doctors couldn't diagnos. I had test after test after test and nothing came up. I had given up hope for a diagnosis, and thereby a cure, until a recent conversation with one of my teachers. She has Celiac's Disease and she started telling me about her joint pain journey and it mirrored mine! So, when I saw my (new) doc for my annual physical, I mentioned my chronic, undiagnosable joint pain and she immediately jumped on gluten as the culprit. She also thinks my fibromyalgia might be tied to it too. So, now I have to go completely gluten-free!

Are any of you familiar a gluten-free diet?

Good morning!

Cindy, ugh! Well I know several people that have had to go gluten free. It's much more doable these days......my local grocery stores have a lot of gluten free foods! You can do it!

Have a great day all!

kuddles

Good morning everyone...it is 8:14 AM here is soggy Florida...Boy, oh boy, can I relate with all who have had a week filled with DRAMA...I really don't want to get started as I don't know where to start...All I can say is It can only get better...Spent yesterday on the couch, sleeping off and on, and trying to recoup my strength and sanity...Haven't been the least bit interested in crochet but know it is probably the best thing for me...At the moment all I feel like doing is checking in here and reading Cville...Have a health issue to approach on Friday, after which it will be an uphill climb...Love the Cotton Ghan and all the beautiful squares you all post...So glad I have you all to keep me going...Think I will pick up my hook today and start some THERAPY...There's still some life in this old girl...God Bless you all...

Good morning everyone...it is 8:14 AM here is soggy Florida...Boy, oh boy, can I relate with all who have had a week filled with DRAMA...I really don't want to get started as I don't know where to start...All I can say is It can only get better...Spent yesterday on the couch, sleeping off and on, and trying to recoup my strength and sanity...Haven't been the least bit interested in crochet but know it is probably the best thing for me...At the moment all I feel like doing is checking in here and reading Cville...Have a health issue to approach on Friday, after which it will be an uphill climb...Love the Cotton Ghan and all the beautiful squares you all post...So glad I have you all to keep me going...Think I will pick up my hook today and start some THERAPY...There's still some life in this old girl...God Bless you all...

You can do it!!!! Seems like a lot have been having some rough weeks the last couple! I know the rest of this week and the beginning of next week are gonna be nonstop for me. Haven't had much time to crochet the last few days. I have to finish up my second square for Emma so I can get it out as well as go to the post office and get my other squares in the mail. I haven't even had time to do that lately! Know that all things will pass and stay encouraged!!!

I pray everyone has a blessed day on today!!!

Oh my!!! LOL!!! I've not done that but....I've been hooking while getting sleepy and crocheted my hair into a square once. I stood up to go to bed and there was a square dangling from my hair. Right after that a sweet friend on here sent me a box of hair bands. LOL!

:lol:lol:lol Oh, I am so glad no one was here at work when I read this!!!! I busted up laughing. Guess that is more incentive for me to get my hair cut short this weekend!!! Thanks for this, I needed it to lighten up "hump day"!!!

Got FOUR gorgeous squares yesterday!! Two from Karin and two from Cindy! Thank you so much ladies! :)

Karin, my hubby was so impressed that I got square from South Africa! I have been telling him about how awesome it will be to have a ghan made with squares from friends all over the world since I joined. I guess he wasn't too focused on the "world" part... He kept saying, "Yeah, but SOUTH. AFRICA.". He was way impressed. Thanks for making hubby think crochet is cool!! :) :) :)

I'll post pics when I get home from work. :)

Just a quick post until I can get more caught up - if you try gluten free baking, do research and follow recipes closely! We looked into it a little (I have a relative who doesn't have to be *completely* gluten free, but is sensitive to it) and you absolutely can't just replace regular wheat flower with, say, rice flour. To get the same properties you have to do a blend of different types, so follow tested recipes closely! There are also some great box mixes out there to take some of that work out. :)

I've been having a mixed week on crochet. I have so many squares I want to start now - I wrote down dark and light brown and cream a while ago as a color scheme to do something in (now I don't have to, because Skoggy's doing it for me! :lol) wanted to pledge more than two to pineknott, etc. But the first two squares I tried came out horrible, so I still have two to do in a month.

BUT I worked on one of my Christmas presents (quilt) last night, and I started a new super secret project that's working up pretty quick and that I'm pretty happy with so far! (I do have to go through and write down what I'm doing, because this is one I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to do again!) And I got the pattern down for the hexagon part of the African Flower Soccer Ball, so I haven't been totally useless.

Just going to have to do some basic squares for now until I get back into the swing of things more. :P

Just a quick post until I can get more caught up - if you try gluten free baking, do research and follow recipes closely! We looked into it a little (I have a relative who doesn't have to be *completely* gluten free, but is sensitive to it) and you absolutely can't just replace regular wheat flower with, say, rice flour. To get the same properties you have to do a blend of different types, so follow tested recipes closely! There are also some great box mixes out there to take some of that work out. :)

Thank you so much! Man, I thought baking was hard before, now this? :P I can do it, I can do it...:)

MrsMcKee--I'm glad they arrived safely! Im also glad you like the squares. Well, I cant' take credit for the dark green one because someone else made it for me. It was sad to give up a precious square but what else was I to do? I'm glad it will go to good use in someone else's ghan though. Oh, and sorry that I can't remember who I got it from. I take pics of all the squares I get but I forget to label them sometimes, and this one was one of them!

Got FOUR gorgeous squares yesterday!! Two from Karin and two from Cindy! Thank you so much ladies! :)

Karin, my hubby was so impressed that I got square from South Africa! I have been telling him about how awesome it will be to have a ghan made with squares from friends all over the world since I joined. I guess he wasn't too focused on the "world" part... He kept saying, "Yeah, but SOUTH. AFRICA.". He was way impressed. Thanks for making hubby think crochet is cool!! :) :) :)

I'll post pics when I get home from work. :)

:lol Glad I could do my bit to improve Crochet's image! Glad you liked it.:clap

Thanks, Katy! Two squares arrived this afternoon! :clap

They're so pretty (Me: "Look, aren't they pretty, hon?" Matthew: "Piddy!")

I didn't really have much in mind yet when I picked blue and green, but this is going to be great!

:hook:manyheart

Lovely squares!

Great squares!

and Good Morning! Been a busy week with Baby K starting 2nd grade on Monday in her new school. I was soooooooooo worried but of course, she is doing great and seems happy so far! Mama was much more worried than Baby!

Hope everyone has a great day!

kuddles (aka Mama K)

Hope everyone has a great day...Yesterday I did pick up the hook and started a "mile a minute" baby ghan...Never done one before..Thought it was difficult, but found it simple...It is just what I needed to work between squares and "take along"...I'm still running in "slow-mo"...hopefully I will pick up speed today...Keeping an eye on that new storm there in the tropics and praying that it doesn't head my way...This morning was nice and cool...I'm sure it will heat up later and we will have rain...Laundry in washer now and I'm having my second cup o' joe...Keep on hookin, I will...

Good morning all! Well, I realized today how much crocheting you can do in a traffic jam! Granted, it was move a bit, sit a while, move a bit, sit a while! Anyways, I almost got a 8 inch square done during that time! Will finish it up during my lunch break and if any one else on the list wants purple (that's the only color I brought with me today), maybe I can get some more squares ready as well! I find when I crochet, that I spend time talking to God so crochet for me is a benefit in more ways than one! Everyone have a blessed day today!!!!

Estee, I am praying the Isaac doesn't hit you! I was listening to it on the news this morning. I have been praying for the one down here in the Gulf of Mexico that it doesn't come towards Louisiana. My first hurricane season down here and really don't want to have one come through!

afternoon.....

I am on my way out to do a few errands, out of cat food, is number one on the list before they get hungry again......sigh...

And then back to home base to continue my latest kleenex cover, in purples this time, for a possible giveaway in Sept....and here to tell everyone that I have chosen Sept. BIggest Square, and will email her today or tomorrow, for her acceptance, and keep the choice quiet till the first of Sept, ha ha, when Pineknott turns over said Yarn Hill Crown to the new biggest square!

also, got my personal ghan done, in Snowflake's colors, and might have a square or two to send your way Snowflake, as I had a couple left over, will take a pic later today, turned out as lovely as I had in mind, and once seeing it, Snowflake won't want to wait any longer and start making a whole bunch of turq, black and white (I also added a grey, and a varigated turq and white) squares to complete her own!

so im off, be back later gang!! Keep those hooks hummin!!

Estee, I am praying the Isaac doesn't hit you! I was listening to it on the news this morning. I have been praying for the one down here in the Gulf of Mexico that it doesn't come towards Louisiana. My first hurricane season down here and really don't want to have one come through!

My very first week in Virginia is when Hurricane Isabelle hit! (Sept 2003) I even had the joy of experiencing my ceiling caving in on me. Right on top of me! Thankfully, it was only soggy drywall material and insulation. Managment had it fixed the next day, even without power! I hope you don't have to go thru that though.

I got my 6-in squares from Katie! I'll post pics of them and the finished ghan later. EEP! I'm almost done! :clap

I'm going nuts over here, ladies. I WANT WHEAT SO BAD! Almost everything in my pantry has some sort of wheat product in it. It makes me want to cry. I don't have any money to spend on groceries and our foodstamps haven't come thru yet. I'm so hungry and I don't know what to eat. This is so hard........:cry

Archived