Lining a Baby Blanket

rolling_backpack

Question

Hi Everyone!

I've been working on a couple baby blankets lately and I plan to line them with flannel. I've never done anything like this before, so I'm wondering if I wash the cloth before I sew it to the blanket, or if I just sew it on as it is? Does anyone have any suggestions in general? Thanks so much for your help!

8 answers to this question

Depends on the quality of the flannel. I have had flannel stretch, only once had a shrinkage issue with a very cheap one. Never lined a crocheted blanket before....can I ask why????

The flannel is from Joann Fabrics. I'm lining the blankets because the babies I'm making them for are very tiny and it gets cold and windy here in Alaska so I want them to be able to use the blankets all year around =)

The flannel is from Joann Fabrics. I'm lining the blankets because the babies I'm making them for are very tiny and it gets cold and windy here in Alaska so I want them to be able to use the blankets all year around =)

SS, never looked at where you live...I guess you would want them extra warm for the little ones.

In that case I would have to agree, if you make them your way, wash them both before sewing as suggested by Rose. Granny's idea to make one all crochet and one with a matching crochet border is very smart. I think if it were me I would consider a fleece blankie also. This way with 3 you have all temps covered and there is always one handy when another is in the wash...

I'd be concerned with shrinkage/saggage, if one fabric stretched and the other didn't.

What if...you made a set of 2 blankets, a crochet one and a flannel one with crochet edging to match?

That's a great idea! Instead of making a crochet edging though, I think I will make it a plain blanket and either add buttons or velcro or a way to attach it to the yarn blanket so it can be a 3 in 1 blanket =) Thanks!

Archived