difference in wash cloth and dish cloth

Fonda

would I use the same kind of yarn? 100% cotton for both or cotton for dish cloth and sport weigh for wash cloth?

Both the same as far as worsted weight cotton yarn used. But some folks just like their washcloths a little fancier in design...;) I sometimes use a cotton blend for "show" washcloths/dishcloths so they don't shrink. And I have used nylon for washcloths that need to stand up to heavy scrubing, as well as some acrylics for face pads (like tawashi) so they are real soft. It really depends on what the cloth is being used for....

Thanks. There's a lady that sells both and said her wash cloths got softer every time she washed them, and I wondered what she used. I thought about asking her but didn't think she would tell me.

Hi Fonda- I use the same cotton, mostly it depends on the colors I want to use that determines what ball I pull from my stash.

I had that "eeww" feeling about using these both in the kitchen and bathroom for a while, seems like they were always getting mixed up and ending up in the wrong room. Now I make all round ones(like a plate) for the kitchen and all square (like a facecloth) for the bathroom. Takes away any confusion when they are being folded from the dryer.

I like to use hobby lobbys i love this cotton for bath cloths. I also tend to use different patterns for bath cloths. I prefet grandmothers favorite for dishcloths (knit), i like something more decorative for bath clothes

I use 100% cotton in worsted weight for both. I usually make bathcloths larger than those for dishes.

I used Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton for my dishcloths. The cotton is soft but it wears well (DD used hers for over a year and asked for more). The ones I have in my kitchen are about a year old. If you don't have a HL near, you can order online.

You can also use the same patterns with worsted weight yarn (acrylic for me--wool doesn't like me!) to make afghan squares. There are so many neat dishcloth patterns around that it seems like a shame not to use them in other things.

I too like to use the 100% cotton WW for dishcloths but for nice wash cloths or "spa" cloths I buy the bamboo/cotton mix for a nicer texture. Not as heavy as the 100% cotton either. The local yarn shop here carries one by Sirdar that I use for special gifts. It's a little pricier but is luxurious and makes beautiful gifts.

Archived