Hairpin Help?

rebbylicious

I have been wanting to do some hairpin crochet. I learned how to make the basic strips on the loom and have seen various ways to connect them etc. My probelem is that there is nothing out there (or as far as I have seen) that will give me assistance in making simple projects with the hairpin strips. It would also be nice to see if there is someone who could explain the logistics of intermixing hairpin with other projects or a basic concept that I can figure out my own patterns from the base knowledge. Is anyone here a hairpin expert? Could someone offer me advice or point me in the right direction? Thanks!!

(i made the mistake of taking the strips I made off of the loom and now its a big twirly strip):think

I enjoyed the CPC listing. For beginners, I think this link has good pics and instructions instead of constantly rerunning a video...http://www.crochetme.com/blogs/how_to_crochet/archive/2012/03/26/joining-hairpin-lace.aspx

Many of the joining stitches are personal preference, but once you have the basics you can experiment all you want. As for a "long twisty thing" after removing the loops off of the loom (staple), that is normal. The thing to remember if you have a pattern in mind is to make your strips the right length. You really can't join until the strip is done, because you would wind up trying to turn your loom with something big and heavy hanging off of it. Similar to Bruges Lace only instead of the ribbon made with sc and small loops, you are now making narrow ribbons with long loops. With some work you could convert some of the Bruges or Serpentine lace patterns (they combine the ribbons with a floral Irish crochet type design)....or look through them for ideas.

this has been helpful!

Happy- I love where you are going with the irish lace thing.... :crocheting

If you will be doing something small and lacey, you should search for a small staple that looks like a real hairpin in shape, instead of the big adjustable ones. Mine is around 3 to 4 inches long, and 1/2 to 3/4" wide.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived