Big sulk is over!

tas

Must be 2 years ago I started a lace tablecloth as a wedding present for my nephew, found a lovely pattern of square motifs on somebodies blog -never bookmarked it. Finished all the squares and, according to instructions, I started to sew them together, it just didn't work, didn't look right at all, tried to crochet them, even worse. Found the pattern later on another site, seems they should have been joined during the final round of each square!!! Was I mad, chucked them in a bag and sulked.:grumpy

About 6 months ago I got over my sulk and decided to make another for their 1st anniversary. I decided upon the Queen Annes Lace in Cebelia 20 Blanc, I also decided to make it square - 14 x 14 motifs - so they could use it on any size or shape table. The good news is I am on the last row and have 11 large motifs and the fill-ins left, plus the edging and blocking.:cheer

Feel so good about it that I felt able to visit Crochetville again (though I have lurked a few times!

They had better LOVE the darned thing

Bec

Thank you, won't be too long, I will definitely post some pictures.

Then I will be looking for ideas for another cloth as my niece is getting married.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Bec :hook

How about using the flat braid join on those motifs you've already done? It's easy, just chains and single crochets and really makes a nice joining pattern around your squares. Try it - I'm sure it will look like you intended to join them together this way all along!

Here ya go - flat braid join- http://gourmetcrochet.blogspot.com/2010/01/flat-braid-join-how-to.html

Well!!

I might just give that a go, by the time I finish the "new" one I might possibly be able to bear looking at them again

Thanks very much

Bec :ty:

Tas- off topic-

Mid 60's my brother was in the US Navy, he went to Antarctica twice as part of Operation Deep Freeze for 6 month stretches on an icebreaker. For some R&R, they would take the sailors to Tasmania for a weekend retreat. Seems as soon as he got there, he met up with a family that adopted him for the weekend and showed him the sights and treated him as part of their family. He still talks about that great weekend whenever he tells his South Pole stories. He was most impressed with how "green" Tasmania was after seeing nothing but snow and ice for months, He still says you have the greenest trees he ever saw! Just want you to know our family appreciates what your neighbor did for my brother when he was so far from home fifty years ago, thank you!

Tas- off topic-

Mid 60's my brother was in the US Navy, he went to Antarctica twice as part of Operation Deep Freeze for 6 month stretches on an icebreaker. For some R&R, they would take the sailors to Tasmania for a weekend retreat. Seems as soon as he got there, he met up with a family that adopted him for the weekend and showed him the sights and treated him as part of their family. He still talks about that great weekend whenever he tells his South Pole stories. He was most impressed with how "green" Tasmania was after seeing nothing but snow and ice for months, He still says you have the greenest trees he ever saw! Just want you to know our family appreciates what your neighbor did for my brother when he was so far from home fifty years ago, thank you!

my husband experienced the same warmth in Perth and Sidney

on r&r's from Nam and also a Unitas cruise,he always speaks very warmly of the good times he had in Australia,I still have the presents that he was given

Ask them if they remember the "six 'o clock swill" !!!!

If they do >>>>:rofl

and day after >>>>>:morcoffee

Bec

PS they're welcome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Kathome, that is gorgeous! I'm sure they'll love it!

Oh YES!!! My DIL is the best, most wonderful person. Anything and everything that I make for her she gushes over. But this time even my son went nuts. I included a note telling them how many miles of thread were used, how many places around the country the tablecloth traveled while being made, and even to Mexico twice. They treasure it as I knew they would.

(Love those kids)

• 4 months later...

I was going to post a pic of the cloth, it came out well. Then I noticed the new rules re uploaded pics, Crochetville can use/post them anywhere without asking.

Anyway am well under way with a new thread tablecloth!

• 4 months later...

Archived