Red Heart Relaxed Cardi Crochet-Along CAL

Amy

For those of you who don't know, at the recent STITCHES South event in Atlanta, Crochetville and Red Heart Yarns had a joint booth, with Crochetville selling yarn for Red Heart. The booth was an outstanding success, and we'll be repeating the effort at both Chain Link/Knit and Crochet show conferences this year as well as the STITCHES events.

Since we're selling Red Heart yarns, I need to make a whole bunch of garments featuring those yarns to wear in the booth.

I just finished making the Relaxed Cardi free pattern available from Red Heart: I finished it in only 4 days. You can click that link to download the pattern pdf or you can download directly from this thread as well: LW2357.pdf. (Thanks to Kathleen Sams of Red Heart for giving us permission to host the pattern in this thread.)

I made my version in Red Heart Boutique Midnight yarn (6 skeins for size small) in colorway Serenade with a size H/8 (5mm) hook.

IMG_0427.jpg

Photos © Amy Shelton and Crochetville. These photos may be pinned on Pinterest or shared on Facebook. :pinterest:facebook

The pattern calls for Red Heart Boutique Changes yarn in colorway Granite:

Relaxed Cardi.jpg

Photo © Red Heart Yarns. Used with permission.

We'd love for you to join us and make your own version of this garment, especially featuring Red Heart yarns.

Suitable Red Heart Yarns:

You may want to use any of the following Red Heart yarns, available directly from Red Heart. Photos © Red Heart Yarns. Used with permission.

E774_9328-9526_product_0.jpg

Boutique Swirl

E771_9560-9855_product_0.jpg

Boutique Changes

N401_4376-4371_product.jpg

Artesano

E786.png

Midnight

E787.jpg

Magical

Share Your Photos:

Please share photos of your finished garment or garment-in-progress with us in this thread.

If you've already completed a Relaxed Cardi, please share photos with us.

Be sure to let us know the following information:

Garment size made

Hook size used

Yarn name and color used

Amount of yarn used

I can't wait to see everyone's finished garments!

IMG_0426.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you looking for all of them to be this Relaxed Cardi?

And when are you looking to have them for?

Everyone will be making this Relaxed Cardi pattern, but you can use whatever yarn you want.

The CAL will be open-ended, so you can take as long to make your project as you need.

I am in! I have 4 balls of Red Heart Boutique Midnight in the shadow colorway that I had planned for something else but it is not working. :think Probably won't start until Thursday or Friday, though.

Amy, yours is beautiful. :manyheart What size hook/how many balls did you use?

Sorry I left that information out of the first post , Stacy. I just went and added it in.

I used 6 skeins of Red Heart Boutique Midnight (had a little bit left over) for a size small, with a size H/8 (5mm) hook.

I tried making a shrug once and the only problem I had with it was that there was a lot of material under the arms in the back. I don't know if that was jut that specific pattern that I used of if that's just the nature of a shrug.

I know you said on FB that you'll be posting pics of you modeling it. Can you also post a pic of it from the back?

Thanx!

Yes, I'll post a pic of the back and even try to get a number of photos that you don't usually see: a good close look at how the armholes/sleeves look from underneath, a side view with arms down, as many pics as I can convince my daughter or my sister to take. It will likely be tomorrow or Friday before I can get the pics taken.

Yes, I'll post a pic of the back and even try to get a number of photos that you don't usually see: a good close look at how the armholes/sleeves look from underneath, a side view with arms down, as many pics as I can convince my daughter or my sister to take. It will likely be tomorrow or Friday before I can get the pics taken.

You are AWESOME!!!!!!! :hug

Sorry I left that information out of the first post , Stacy. I just went and added it in.

I used 6 skeins of Red Heart Boutique Midnight (had a little bit left over) for a size small, with a size H/8 (5mm) hook.

Thank you! I've finished my homework and cleaned up the mess in my bedroom that I have been putting off (doesn't that make me feel like a teenager again! :lol) so I should be able to get started tonight. :clap

I would love to try this, but finding the yarn here locally is going to be a challenge. We don't see any of the "fancy" rh yarns here

You can order it online from the Red Heart website: shopredheart.com.

This pattern starts with making a basic rectangle from double crochet.

Sizes from Pattern

Size Small for 32"-34" bust: 32" wide by 20" deep

Size Medium for 36"-38" bust: 36" wide by 22" deep

Size Large for 40"-42" bust: 40" wide by 24" deep

Figure Out Your Rectangle Size

Width: Measure distance from a point on one arm halfway between elbow and bone at top of shoulder joint, across back to other shoulder joint, and down to midway point on other arm. Compare this measurement to your actual bust measurement. (Notice above how bust measurement may equal rectangle width.) Determine how wide you actually want to make your rectangle.

Depth: Measure distance from protruding bone at base of neck to either small of your back or place where you want the solid part of cardi to end

Gauge: Make at least a 6" by 6" swatch of double crochet stitches. Measure swatch to figure out how many stitches and rows in 4". Use these numbers to figure out how many stitches and rows you need for your rectangle.

Make Your Chain: Make a chain equal to the number of stitches needed plus 2. Double crochet in 4th chain from hook and in each chain across.

Make Your Rectangle: Make the number of rows you calculated above or just crochet until your rectangle depth measurement equals the depth measurement you wanted.

Trim: We'll figure out how to do the trim once several people get their rectangles made.

This is beautiful. I looked at the pattern and I just had to laugh because it's graded as "easy". That's like the dentists saying "this won't hurt a bit"!

I guess I can start with the rectangle and see how it goes. Anyone started yet? I'd love to see in-progress pictures.

I've started- only on the 6th row, though. I can tell it's going to be cute with the yarn that I'm using, but it seems rather chunky. I'm wondering if I should start over with a larger hook.

As promised, here are pictures of my version:

From the front:

IMG_0371.jpg

From the back, arms out to side:

IMG_0372.jpg

From the back, arms down:

IMG_0373.jpg

From the front, arm out, side seam detail:

IMG_0374.jpg

Edit because I forgot to say: I wore it into the local yarn store in Tuscaloosa, AL today. The four ladies in the shop LOVED it. I never did get as far as telling them it was made with Red Heart (!), but they loved the fact that it was crocheted.

I'm THINKING of trying this. I have made one wearable my whole life and that was for a child. I do afghans. However, my sister wanted a cardigan and the directions for the one she wanted were incorrect. She actually sent a photo of this one and asked if I could do it. I have 10 skeins of bamboo ewe (3.5 oz. Each)...think that would be enough? I am torn between this and. LW2610 which is a beautiful shawl.

Amy, thanx so much for posting pics. It's good to know that it wasn't me - it's just the style of the pattern.

It's probably the design and construction method of any particular shrug pattern.

This one is made by folding a rectangle. An enterprising designer could probably figure up a way to use short rows or some other shaping method to get rid of the excess back fabric. :)

For the size I made, the extra fabric really doesn't seem to be an issue when moving around as people do in real-life. It's more noticeable when standing still posing for a photo.

Grr. I started with 135 stitches across, I now have 128...no idea how. And instead oflooking smaller it actuall looks bigger and is puckering. Guess I am going to have to pull some out

Grr. I started with 135 stitches across, I now have 128...no idea how. And instead oflooking smaller it actuall looks bigger and is puckering. Guess I am going to have to pull some out

Some tips:

Count your stitches on each row.

Make sure you work into the turn chain at the end of each row.

Maintain consistent tension throughout.

Archived