what else do you do?

I'm wondering how many of you clever crafty crocheters also do some other crafts. Ie: quilt, knit, sewing, needle point, scrapbooks etc.

I quilt (well sorta I have quilted before and want to again) and want to learn to knit!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I crochet (duh:think), plastic canvas, counted cross stitch, counted bead embroidery..think counted cross stitch but with beads, simple sewing, and i just taught myself to knit in January...my advice if you want to learn to knit try continental, check out youtube for tutorials. This method of knitting holds the yarn in the same hand as crochet so it was the only way this 30 year veteran crocheter could work the needles.

Gosh you gals have a lot of stuff going on! I'm so one dimensional! :lol

Crochet is about it as far as crafts. Our garden takes a lot of time in the summer and canning.

quilt, sew, knit, scrapbooking, woodworking, painting, doll collecting and repair, embroidery, needlepoint, plastic canvas, beadwork, reupholstery. rug hooking.

Haven't done some of it in a year or so. But when the need arises I can and will.

Crochet is my main thing as it doesn't require alot of tools and it is portable. Sewing to make purse/tote linings and make items for the home (curtains, pillows, quilts) and also clothes for the dolls. The beadwork was an addition for crochet to fancy things up, :lol.

Embroidery to fancy up the sewing. One thing leads to another....

Once you have the creative bug you will see that as life goes on interests expand. Gardening also, started with wanting pretty flowers and expanded to vegetables to save money and get kids to eat more veggies/fruits. Then led into canning and making jams/preserves. It is a never ending and fun journey...

I am new to crochet...but I've been artsy my whole life. I am a graphite & colored pencil artist. I have dabbled in embroidery. I like latch hook, as well. I play piano & guitar. i also like painting with pastels & doing beading with my daughter. I'd like to learn macrom. I'm lso a dog lover (currently without dog).

I'm an artist. I love to draw, paint, and sketch. I also like to play computer and Xbox. I love photography and I also really enjoy playing with and taking care of my two guinea pigs. I'm also a huge animal lover and I like to collect animal stuff as well as making or drawing the animal stuff myself!

Oh! I also like to make charms out of polymer clay and I love to play my clarinet.

main hobbies are crochet and knitting, but I have also worked with plastic canvas (haven't done that since I started crocheting again about 6 years ago. I don't sew unless absolutely necessary and even then it is very MINIMAL. lol

I crochet (duh:think), plastic canvas, counted cross stitch, counted bead embroidery..think counted cross stitch but with beads, simple sewing, and i just taught myself to knit in January...my advice if you want to learn to knit try continental, check out youtube for tutorials. This method of knitting holds the yarn in the same hand as crochet so it was the only way this 30 year veteran crocheter could work the needles.

I"m going to have to try this... as this is my issue with knitting!!! I can't manuplate the needles.. 1 hook im fine. gimme 2 and im all thumbs

but....

I Crochet mainly *suprise rite?* counted cross stitch.. Plastic canvas.. and sew a lil. *edit OH YEA* I also can latch hook :) and loom knit ;) almost forgot bout those

I use to quit and embroider but have given them up due to vision problems. I crochet,knit,do plastic canvas, rag rugs, weaving on small loom

read,write, do some pattern design for my family craft group. I also bake,cook and enjoy music.

Oh no artmama! You've gotta get one! Haha my dog is the brightest part in my life

Its kind of a long sad story why I'm currently dogless. I don't want to hijack the thread with details.

I'm going to google "plastic canvas," as I've never heard of it.

Probably fotr thda the best I dont hear a sad story about an animal... Im a cryer! I came home from work tonight and the show was one of those animal cops and it was a dog that'd gotten stung several times by a bee... balled. Meanwhile my dog looks at me like I've FINALLY lost my marbles! And sighs and goods to the bedroom!

I want to learn to knit mostly so I can make a fair isle. Hat.... that's what I'm most thrilled for.

Let's see.....I crochet and knit equally now (HUGE achievement there!)

I know how to quilt though I never do,I can sew (hence the quilting) I have made many many things that were sewn with and without patterns.

I do know how to work with the plastic canvas. I know how to cross stitch and do counted cross stitch. I am just too inpatient and want progress NOW! Which is what I love about crochet. I have made jewelry with beads. I make my own knitting stitch markers.

I love to bake and cook. I am a wizz in the garden (when I am lucky enough to live in a place to actually have one)

I want to know how to weave and spin. I have always wanted to work with wood.

Oh and as a child I did macrame with my dad :)

hmmm...I crochet, cross stitch/counted as well, latch hook, have done plastic canvas, sew (my machine has the embroidery cards with it as well!), ceramics (I love it!), make my flowery fans, have made jewelry, tried scrapbooking but have lost all my pictures so want to start over, I want to learn how to make my own soap and candles, used to can some, and I love having a garden (right now I am going to start container gardening since I can't have a real garden). I also work two jobs and go to college online! I guess you can do all these things when you don't have a husband or kids to ask for your time!

Oh, I also forgot I do floral arrangements and I make diaper cakes for baby showers!

• 2 weeks later...

I mainly crochet, but I can knit a little bit and I just got the "knook hook" today. I do lots of stuff with music (sing and play). I really enjoy writing prose and poetry, including humor and satire. I also write informational stuff and I'm writing my own crochet teaching curriculum. I know how to cross-stitch, but haven't done much of that in years. I also like to paint, color, sketch/ draw --- anything to do with colors and mixing colors and manipulating colors makes me really happy, which is something that is reflected in my style of crochet.

There are all sorts of things that I know how to do. I can knit, embroider, needlepoint, plastic canvas, latch hook, macrame. I can do counted cross stitch, sewing, quilting, polymer clay scrapbooking, screen printing, beading, applique. I've done simple painting projects, I've made all different kinds of suncatchers (painted, beaded, crocheted, woven, etc..), I've made dream catchers (including the intricate 3D ones), I've wire wrapped semi precious stones to make a pendant.

But these days I pretty much only crochet. It's what I enjoy most and It's the best medium I have found to express myself creatively.

I crochet, but that's my forte. Everything else is dabbling. I have almost learned how to knit, am planning to visit a friend of mine to learn how to sew.

I practice Aikido, write, both a blog and fiction, even though I seem to be better as a beta (editor). I'm working on making baskets out of plastic shopping bags, tried making baskets and bowls out of magazine pages, but they don't seem to be my personal decorating style.

And I am active in a community centered around making custom-designed illuminated and usable lightsabers (with and without sound).

I guess I'm just trying to express myself, and am still trying to figure out how.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm brand new to crochet. I've been cross stitching since February 2009 and I also design cross stitch and blackwork charts, most of which I offer for free on my blog Kincavel Krosses. I also occasionally make cards (I usually make a dozen or so for close family at Xmas, or one if I find I don't have a birthday card ready to send off).

I've always loved the delicacy of the counted and stamped cross-stitch, but BOY does it boil my blood when I find out I've made a mistake, or I switched one color for another. I always seem to find out these mistakes about 7 rows in...

Archived