Sign in to follow this  
FizzlePop40

Spinning/Homemade Yarn Questions

I've decided that I want to learn how to make my own yarn. I'm going to make a drop spindle, but I don't know where I could get wool roving. Is there anything you can use besides roving? Is there some sort of way that you can re-spin scraps of yarn? About how much is the roving? When I was browsing the internet, I came across this thing called a fiber hackle. What's that and what does it do?

Thanks in advance for all your help. :)

IMO you are best to start with a handful of greasy Romney fleece...

Are you a member of Ravelry? http://www.ravelry.com/ it you have a look on there you might be able to find a spinning group near you,local information is the best,yes you can buy lots of lovely fiber on http://www.etsy.com/ but best to wait until you have made your 1st yarn.

A hackle is used in fiber preparation for combing,but a dog/cat brush is all you'll need to start off with..try searching carding combs on ravelry and you tube .

all the best I started spinning two years ago and just love it

Thanks for all the useful info! I probably won't be able to start for a while because I dont have any money to buy the stuff right now but when I do I'll try remember to post how it turns out! :D

please <3 do NOT let the money part put you off learning

as I read in your 1st post you are happen to make your own equipment...dont stop now,us crafty people love to teach others,and depending on where you live ...most of us have perfect fiber that we are happy to share while you are learning ..please just find out if you have a local group

Haha, yeah, I've been kind of experimenting with some other fibers. I also re-spun some yarn together and that worked out pretty good! I just brushed the yarn out so the pieces were all untwisted and then I put two different colors together and spun them. :) Unfortunately, there isn't a local group around here...