Sign in to follow this  
nemomum

Still stuck, twisted crochet and 'gp' on vintage Wendy Pattern for baby boy matinee coat and cap

Question

I've attached a photo of the pattern's image to see if that helps anyone help me. I am completely stuck. It is a UK pattern so our dc=US sc and our tr=US dc

I've made the two circular panels which go on either side of the baby's head and now I'm trying to make the middle section. I don't know how to do twisted tr nor nor a 'gp' which in the abbreviations list means group and I'm not clear on how to increase either. When the pattern instructs to do a twisted tr is it meaning that I should do the tr down into the stitches of the previous row? I just can't make head nor tail of it. Is a group a set number of tr into one stitch or some sort of stitch I haven't met before? I've searched the web and can't find anything nor corrections to the old pattern and nobody on Ravelry has done it either. Thanks to those who responded to my earlier query but I'm still stuck.

Those are my problems but I am starting to wonder if there is a mistake in the number of ch. at the start as it doesn't seem to work when I get to the 1st row.

Middle section:

Make 7 ch., work 1 d.c. into 2nd ch. from hook, 1 d.c. into each ch. to end. (6 d.c.)

1st row.-Turn with 3 ch., 1 tr. into next st. , miss 1 st., 2 tr., 1ch., 2 tr. into next st., miss 1 st., 1 tr. into each of the last 2 sts.

2nd row. - Turn with 3 ch., 1 twisted tr., round 2nd tr., 1 gr. in centre, 2 twisted tr., round last 2 tr.

3rd row.- Turn with 3 ch., 1 twisted tr. round the 2nd tr., inc. 2 tr. before gr., 1 gr. into centre, inc. 2 tr., 2 twisted tr. round last 2 tr.

Work 2 rows in pattern as set, with 4 twisted tr. at each side of gr.

6th row.- Turn with 3 ch., 1 twisted tr., inc. 1 gr. (2 tr., 1ch, 2 tr), 2 twisted tr., 1 gr., 2 twisted tr., inc. 1 gp., 2 twisted tr. to end. Continue without further inc. until work measures 8 3/4 ins. from commencement.

post-51701-135897755676_thumb.jpg

2 answers to this question

Hmm, definitely a mistake in row 1. I think it should read:

Turn with 3 ch., 1 tr. into same stitch as chain., miss 1 stitch, 2 tr. into next st., 1 ch., 2 tr. into next stitch., miss 1 st., 2 tr. into last st.

The 'gp' stitch they are referring to is finally explained on row 6 as (all into one stitch or ch. sp.: 2 tr., ch., 2 tr.

The twisted tr. seems to refer to a round the post stitch as it round the post of the tr. on the previous row.

Well, that's what I'm going to do, seems to be working. The increase is just a normal increase by doing more than one into one stitch.

Will have to write this down and keep it with the pattern! No wonder it was selling on ebay.

Hmm, definitely a mistake in row 1. I think it should read:

Turn with 3 ch., 1 tr. into same stitch as chain., miss 1 stitch, 2 tr. into next st., 1 ch., 2 tr. into next stitch., miss 1 st., 2 tr. into last st.

The 'gp' stitch they are referring to is finally explained on row 6 as (all into one stitch or ch. sp.: 2 tr., ch., 2 tr.

The twisted tr. seems to refer to a round the post stitch as it round the post of the tr. on the previous row.

Well, that's what I'm going to do, seems to be working. The increase is just a normal increase by doing more than one into one stitch.

Will have to write this down and keep it with the pattern! No wonder it was selling on ebay.

Definitely an example of why it is important to read through the pattern first. And if not sure then do a swatch with the pattern stitch so we can try to work it out. I either use pencil on the pattern page (depending on whether I plan on keeping a whole book or pattern) or use post it notes on the page (make sure to write the pattern name and page # as well as the line you are making notes about)just in case it comes off the page. :hook