carevun

Chapeaus Afghan?

Question

I'm making the chapeaus afghan (tiny hats) http://www.crochet-world.com/newsletters.php?mode=issue&issue_id=255&department_id=7 I'm making it in red and purple as my grandmother is a member of the red hat society. I think my squares are coming out a lot larger than they appear in photos of everyone elses'. I'm generally a tight crocheter so I don't think it's that. I'm using an H as the patterm calls for although I' thinking I should go down to a G? What are your thoughts?

additionallly: I'm a little confused on this part of the pattern:

With black, making sure all hats are placed in the same direction and working through back lps, sew Motifs tog in 7 rows of 9 Motifs each.

Also- For anyone who's made this- did you actually use needle and thread to sew anything? I was just using the tails remaining on the ties?

Picture of square: red hat society square

7 answers to this question

I've had this on my to-do list for a while, can't wait to get started on it.

Your finished afghan, according to the pattern is 55" across, with 7 rows. I would think if your squares are just a bit over 7", with joining and the 2 rows of border it should be about right. What size are your squares now?

Not sure of what you are asking when you say you are confused, but this page shows several methods of joining squares that may help you. (Weaving thru just that one loop on the outside edge of your squares instead of the two the stitch makes is "sewing thru the back loop", if that helps to clarify things) You would sew your squares together with a yarn that matches your background color, no need to use thread, Your purple yarn is fine.

You may want to use a small hook and weave in the ends of the chained tie that goes around each hat. These could be sewn in place, too, with a large yarn needle or carefully woven in with a teeny hook to hide those stray yarn ends and hold the ties in place.

I love your square, by the way, perfect for a Red Hat Lady.

Edited by mattenylou

I made that afghan a few years ago and had more fun making it! If I remember right the squares with an H hook are just about 7". I whipstitched my squares together thru the back loops and the afghan lays very nicely! I actually started another one a while back with white as the background but haven't picked it up in a long time. My daughter has my original which is like the pattern --- scrap colors for the hats and black background

AS for the part where you are confused, what they are saying is, after you finish all the squares you whipstitch them together with yarn and a yarn needle - making sure that all your hats are facing in the same direction as you whipstitch the squares together. Each row will have 9 hat squares and then you will whipstitch the rows together and will have 7 rows

Edited by Lynn

I love that pattern. Your square looks great!

Thanks for the compliments ladies!!! I've never done a ghan before with multiple pieces. Mine have always been one big continuous piece so hopefully I can figure out (or YouTube) how to piece them together! Thanks again :-)

I agree with Lin, it's a lovely afghan when completed, good luck, and show us pics when you get it done!

There are some great videos for whipstitching squares together. Here is one that will show you pretty well.

Its really easy to do! You'll get it in no time!

That's really a gorgeous square! You'll be done in no time flat!