DebraKay

Odd Patterns for Kids & Others....

It might just be me, but it seems like I am seeing an awful lot of strange crochet patterns lately. The photo op outfits for newborns have taken off with a bang and since all of the cute ideas seem to have been done, I'm noticing some very odd selections recently! Hats too seem to have taken a strange turn. Do people really dress their newborns as pigs, lobsters, and some much odder choices for photos? Do they really dress in matching BOOB hats (complete with lifelike nipples in most cases) along with their tiny child?

I love the ladybugs, giraffes, bears, frogs. I even get on board with owls, sheep and monkeys but .... pigs and boobs? Really? Even cows, hippos, fish, sort of creep me out a little when I think of dressing a baby for photos....but the pigs and boobs were over the top.

The ones that really have me scratching my head with wonder though ....female body parts! I have no idea why the sudden interest in crocheting female body parts? I had a huge influx come through my Pinterest pages recently? My main thought was WHY? Why on earth? They even seem to have made entire Boards on Pinterest for Crocheted Vaginas! Is it part of some sort of sex education or what? I just don't get it! Not expecting an answer, maybe some empathy.... I guess I just needed to get that off my mind.

I've been kind of wondering about the boob hats too.

What has happened to pretty baby hats in pastels with thin stripes, small flowers or little hearts? When I see baby hats made out of chunky or super chunky yarn, or ones that have flowers the size of a saucer, to me they look overwhelming on an infant, like the baby is wearing a football helmet. I just don't think that is attractive.

I've only seen the boob hats for babies in photos online. I think that is kind of funny, and i can appreciate that it is partly a comment on lack of support for nursing moms. But like i say, have never seen one in real life. why an adult would want to wear a boob hat is beyond me.

I have not seen the lobsters for babies at all. Have seen fish hats which i do not get but evidently they are popular. I agree the huge yarn hats look really weird on babies. And what is with the poses? Saw one where a tiny baby had chin propped up on her hands, elbows on the table. How do you get a teeny baby into a pose like that? It can't be good for them can it? Maybe it was photoshopped, i hope.

Now as to the body parts...some people must be really bored!

I'm not interested in crocheted body parts...over the top! I saw a baby in a boob hat and and thought it was tacky. Many folks are uncomfortable with even discrete breast feeding. I'm not, but didn't like the hat, even if a positive message was intended.

I don't care for risque crafted items at all.

I like the cutsey baby poses, but I did see one on Pinterest that looked very uncomfortable to the baby's back.

The crochet vaginas are actually a protest that's going on right now. The idea is to send a congressmen his very own vagina or uterus to protest them making rulings on mandatory transvaginal ultrasounds, birth control, and things like that. You can read more about it on their page here, if you're interested: http://www.governmentfreevjj.com/

The boob hat is a protest thing also. It has something to do with nursing in public.

I really don't care what other people do but just whipping it out for all the world to see goes against every social grace I was ever taught.

I agree 100%. I'm glad you brought this question up, because I actually was wondering the same thing.

Carol:hook

It might just be me, but it seems like I am seeing an awful lot of strange crochet patterns lately. The photo op outfits for newborns have taken off with a bang and since all of the cute ideas seem to have been done, I'm noticing some very odd selections recently! Hats too seem to have taken a strange turn. Do people really dress their newborns as pigs, lobsters, and some much odder choices for photos? Do they really dress in matching BOOB hats (complete with lifelike nipples in most cases) along with their tiny child?

I love the ladybugs, giraffes, bears, frogs. I even get on board with owls, sheep and monkeys but .... pigs and boobs? Really? Even cows, hippos, fish, sort of creep me out a little when I think of dressing a baby for photos....but the pigs and boobs were over the top.

The ones that really have me scratching my head with wonder though ....female body parts! I have no idea why the sudden interest in crocheting female body parts? I had a huge influx come through my Pinterest pages recently? My main thought was WHY? Why on earth? They even seem to have made entire Boards on Pinterest for Crocheted Vaginas! Is it part of some sort of sex education or what? I just don't get it! Not expecting an answer, maybe some empathy.... I guess I just needed to get that off my mind.

OMG!!!!!!!!! I saw the same prop, and I thought the same thing. The baby didn't even look comfortable like that

Carol:hook

I've only seen the boob hats for babies in photos online. I think that is kind of funny, and i can appreciate that it is partly a comment on lack of support for nursing moms. But like i say, have never seen one in real life. why an adult would want to wear a boob hat is beyond me.

I have not seen the lobsters for babies at all. Have seen fish hats which i do not get but evidently they are popular. I agree the huge yarn hats look really weird on babies. And what is with the poses? Saw one where a tiny baby had chin propped up on her hands, elbows on the table. How do you get a teeny baby into a pose like that? It can't be good for them can it? Maybe it was photoshopped, i hope.

Now as to the body parts...some people must be really bored!

I've only seen the boob hats for babies in photos online. I think that is kind of funny, and i can appreciate that it is partly a comment on lack of support for nursing moms.

Ditto.

It is to protest the lack of support. Women should be able to nurse wherever and whenver the need.

Saw one where a tiny baby had chin propped up on her hands, elbows on the table. How do you get a teeny baby into a pose like that? It can't be good for them can it? Maybe it was photoshopped, i hope.

It is photoshopped.

The baby is being held. Two photos are taken and shopped together.

I even get on board with owls, sheep and monkeys but .... pigs

I hate hate hate monkeys. Hate them. So to me, it's not cute. I know someone who loves pigs and someone else who loves cows. To them, those would adorable.

It's just a matter of personal likes. It's a fad, like the Anne Geddes flower pot thing several years ago. Not every one has to like them.

I might not like them all but they don't bug me. To each their own. LOL

Crochetkitten, thanks for the link, makes sense to me now.

How funny that other people saw the propped up on elbows pose, i just thought it looked weird, not obviously photoshopped but logically it had to be.

I don't get it or like it either...

Haven't seen the boob caps or the crocheted vaginas. Not sure if I care to see them either. Now I have seen crocheted boobs that had been made for women who have had mastectomies. Those made sense to me. Thanks for the link to the article about the protest. What a crazy world we live in.:shrug

I guess it makes more sense now that I know it was for a protest. I had not realized that. Just had this huge influx of crocheted vaginas come across Pinterest about the same time and thought... ick and why? I still wouldn't be making one but at least they had a reason, or some of them did anyway. Not sure they all understood it was part of a political protest.

The boob hat to support breast feeding did not make sense to me. I breast fed all my kids and very occasionally had to do it in public but I don't think anyone ever knew. I was discrete, used a very light but covering baby blanket and wore nursing-easy clothing. There is no need to "flop it out" as I have seen a few do. They are evidently wanting to make a statement and almost daring people to say something. It still doesn't bother me but I always wonder if they are really enjoying the wonderful moment or thinking more about making a spectacle. To me, it was always a very personal, private and cherished time for me and my baby. I didn't want to share that with strangers. I was never made to feel ashamed of it either. But like I said, no one probably even realized I was doing it in public. I've never seen anyone say or do anything negative to any woman breastfeeding in public. Is it really a problem that needs a protest?

Glad to know I was not alone in my thinking on the strange-ness of some of the patterns. Still, there are so many more that I LOVE I have no room to be complaining. There are so many great designers out there and I am so thankful they share their talents so we can all make adorable things!

Recently here a woman was told to stop feeding her baby or leave the indoor water park. She was covered but an uninformed employee made her stop. It is against the law to prevent a woman from breastfeeding in public here. Honestly all the other people swimming were much less covered! Even Michelle Duggar does it on camera walking around in a public place. She's covered by a blanket but its pretty obvious what's happening.

But I don't see how making your baby's head look like your boob hanging out helps the cause. Most women want to go about it unnoticed but that just shouts "Look at me!"

Basically, I agree with DebraKay. Well said!

It has become the kind of issue that is extremely heated: I intend to breastfeed my child (I'm pregnant) but will do so as my mother did, privately and discreetly. I have nothing to prove to anyone, I want it to be in no one's face ... except my baby's :lol I see it as a "a very personal, private and cherished time for me and my baby" too and don't need to convert anyone or "bully" anyone into agreeing with my way of doing things by being provocative. So no boob hats for me.

ETA: I have also a bombastic chest and have had my hands full - literally - these last 20 years trying to keep the girls under control. The last thing I want is have them flopping all over the place like they have a life of their own :D

oh - CONGRATS!!!! I didn't know!

lol - they do tend to get in the way, don't they?

It's not just women who "flop it out there" that are being asked to stop. It's everyone. Women have a right to nurse their baby while they are in a cafe having lunch, or at a movie, or church, or the grocery store without being asked to leave/stop/go somewhere private like the bathroom.

It's not just women who "flop it out there" that are being asked to stop. It's everyone. Women have a right to nurse their baby while they are in a cafe having lunch, or at a movie, or church, or the grocery store without being asked to leave/stop/go somewhere private like the bathroom.

But this is what I don't understand. How did women manage to breastfeed their children in the past and not do so at church, in a movie theatre or at the grocery store? I mean, my mother was SAHM and breastfed nine kids without ever having to breastfeed them at the supermarket. And she was by herself, ran a home, shared a car with my working father and looked after at least one toddler along with a nursing child at any one time. Yet, she managed it. If a child needed to be breastfed at church, she went outside, sat in the car and devoted her attention to the baby before returning for the rest of the service. And how dangerous must it be to breastfeed a child while filling your grocery cart with food?

My problem with this is that while I don't think it's right for women to be "banned" from breastfeeding - a woman who breastfeeds with her child under a shawl or with her top tucked down is often not even noticed - and people who spend their time trying to figure out what a discreetly nursing mother is doing should mind their own business, nosey parkers! But I don't know how it's in the baby's best interests to be fed on the side while the mother is busy doing something else, something "more important".

Now, that last statement is not to be taken out of context, which is: babies sometimes need feeding at inconvenient times and sometimes you just have to feed them there and then, and there's no way around it. However, I'd imagine that I would prefer this to be the exception, rather than the rule. I'd want - as often as possible - to be able to feed my child in relatively peace. But the backlash of this anti-breastfeeding movement seems to be women demanding that we accept it as normal to nurse a child while doing every other thing, and that's what gets my gander up. Because in this case it's to prove the mother's point and her agenda, but it's surely not in the best interest of the child? As often as possible, I imagine a mother should and would want to sit and nurse her child with the due care and attention - after all, I wouldn't eat my dinner walking around the supermarket, pushing a trolley, and I wouldn't let a school-age child eat his lunch while trailing after me at the supermarket either - so why should it be different for a baby? Poor little thing. That's who I feel most sorry for. :(

I guess my problem with it is that it all smacks of making-a-point-ism - on both sides. The person who asks a woman who's breastfeeding discreetly to leave a café makes a fuss for no sensible reason, but s/he Has Made A Point. A person who walks around a supermarket, distractedly nursing a child and hauling crates of water into a trolley because, hey, she can nurse her child wherever she wants and everyone else had better deal with it, is also Making A Point. I just find it all very sad.

And sorry, EmpressBusyBee, that wasn't directed at you personally, but I simply for the life of me cannot figure it out.

Edited by Miss Crochet

oh - CONGRATS!!!! I didn't know!

lol - they do tend to get in the way, don't they?

Yes, I am! Due in September - which means that this will be the hottest summer on record because I'll be highly pregnant. That's Murphy's Law. :lol

Dear Miss Crochet

Congrats! Is this your first?

I've had two. Good luck to you.

I did not take it personally and get what you are saying. However there are times when a baby needs/wants to nurse and you can't go home to be alone.

When my daughter was born, we didn't have access to a babysitter so we took her to the movies with us. She was a good baby and didn't fuss. I nursed her during the movies. Also during dinner out. I also nursed my son while eating out. Both my children got enough attention for it. I never had to nurse and grocery shop but I am sure that some had to. It's quite possible with slings.

Today's world is much different than that of our mothers and grandmothers.

I have never personally dealt with the issue, but i think since we can't know what another person's situation is, breastfeeding in public should be accepted and supported. Middle of the grocery store might not be anyone's ideal, but wouldn't we all accept a baby in a grocery store drinking from a bottle? I think that is the kind of point people are trying to make about nursing.

I have never personally dealt with the issue, but i think since we can't know what another person's situation is, breastfeeding in public should be accepted and supported. Middle of the grocery store might not be anyone's ideal, but wouldn't we all accept a baby in a grocery store drinking from a bottle? I think that is the kind of point people are trying to make about nursing.

Exactly.

I wanted to add too, that women all over the world nurse whenever and wherever without problems (that I know of) but in the US it is an issue for some odd reason.

Yes, I am! Due in September - which means that this will be the hottest summer on record because I'll be highly pregnant. That's Murphy's Law. :lol

Oh, yeah - I know all about that!

Less than 2 weeks before I had my DD we had 3 feet of snow drop overnight. Everyone was terrified I'd go into labor and have to go to the hospital on a snow mobile.

But this is what I don't understand. How did women manage to breastfeed their children in the past and not do so at church, in a movie theatre or at the grocery store? I mean, my mother was SAHM and breastfed nine kids without ever having to breastfeed them at the supermarket. And she was by herself, ran a home, shared a car with my working father and looked after at least one toddler along with a nursing child at any one time. Yet, she managed it. If a child needed to be breastfed at church, she went outside, sat in the car and devoted her attention to the baby before returning for the rest of the service. And how dangerous must it be to breastfeed a child while filling your grocery cart with food?

My problem with this is that while I don't think it's right for women to be "banned" from breastfeeding - a woman who breastfeeds with her child under a shawl or with her top tucked down is often not even noticed - and people who spend their time trying to figure out what a discreetly nursing mother is doing should mind their own business, nosey parkers! But I don't know how it's in the baby's best interests to be fed on the side while the mother is busy doing something else, something "more important".

Now, that last statement is not to be taken out of context, which is: babies sometimes need feeding at inconvenient times and sometimes you just have to feed them there and then, and there's no way around it. However, I'd imagine that I would prefer this to be the exception, rather than the rule. I'd want - as often as possible - to be able to feed my child in relatively peace. But the backlash of this anti-breastfeeding movement seems to be women demanding that we accept it as normal to nurse a child while doing every other thing, and that's what gets my gander up. Because in this case it's to prove the mother's point and her agenda, but it's surely not in the best interest of the child? As often as possible, I imagine a mother should and would want to sit and nurse her child with the due care and attention - after all, I wouldn't eat my dinner walking around the supermarket, pushing a trolley, and I wouldn't let a school-age child eat his lunch while trailing after me at the supermarket either - so why should it be different for a baby? Poor little thing. That's who I feel most sorry for. :(

I guess my problem with it is that it all smacks of making-a-point-ism - on both sides. The person who asks a woman who's breastfeeding discreetly to leave a café makes a fuss for no sensible reason, but s/he Has Made A Point. A person who walks around a supermarket, distractedly nursing a child and hauling crates of water into a trolley because, hey, she can nurse her child wherever she wants and everyone else had better deal with it, is also Making A Point. I just find it all very sad.

And sorry, EmpressBusyBee, that wasn't directed at you personally, but I simply for the life of me cannot figure it out.

Beautifully put. :manyheart