Question

A friend has asked me to crochet him a liner for his motorcycle helmet. He says that the liner in his helmet isn't removable so he doesn't want to sweat all over it. He wants something he can remove and wash. He looked around for a sports doo rag but couldn't find the teams he wanted. So, I have taken up the job of making something for him. I'm thinking sock yarn would be perfect for this project but I can't find a pattern. Please help!

4 answers to this question

All of the helmet liners I found in crochet were more like a ski mask, covering the face and neck as well. Looking a knitting patterns, many were like that but a few were 'beanie hat' style, which makes sense I suppose. (These were for military helmets, but should work for cycle helmets, right?)

I think I'd use cotton to be cool and absorbent. (edit, found bamboo/nylon/cotton sock yarn here http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Crystal_Palace_Yarn-Panda_Cotton_Solid_Yarn-3449.html, cotton acrylic blend here http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Comfy_Fingering_Yarn__D5420197.html

You can make your own 'beanie' pattern by measuring his head where the hat brim would be - that's the circumference. Then measure from the crown of his head to the 'brim'. With whatever yarn and hook you wish, make a flat circle with the diameter of the circumference divided by 3.14. (Some recommend to make an adult hat 1" smaller than the head measurement to ensure a snug fit.) Then, work even until you have the crown to brim measurement you need.

Edited by Granny Square

Here's a LINK for a helmet liner used for our Troops.

I can't help you with the pattern, but I made a helmet liner for myself using #3 cotton crochet thread so as not affect the fit too much. Larger cotton (such as worsted weight) may be too think and make for a tighter-than-desired fit. I would definitely use cotton, though. It's more comfortable than acrylic and more absorbent than wool. Wash in cold water, though so it won't shrink.

I didn't write down the pattern or even take a picture (yet) - it's just a basic beanie that I added short earflaps to to cover the entire inside of the helmet for the same reason your friend wants one.

The local Army-Navy store has a good selection of doo-rags.