raeburn

Help stitches lean more than Tower of Pizza !!

Question

Hi all,

Is there anyone can help me with this, I'm doing a pineapple pattern at the moment but find that stitches are leaning to the left all the time (makes a very funny shaped pineapple as you can imagine). It is more obvious when you come to the stage where you turn every row to finish the pineapple.

I've never noticed it before but maybe that's because it hasn't been so pronounced in other patterns and I've only just realised its happening.

Thanks for any help you can give.

17 answers to this question

It sounds like you are working in the round at first, and then turning for a part of the pattern, correct? I think if you would start turning at the beginning, that would solve the problem. Crochet stitches naturally lean a bit. Also try blocking what you have so far and see if that straightens it out.

I'm working on this pattern

http://www.********************.com/doily.html

The middle part is done in normal round way then the right and left sides are done separately and turn at each row. I don't think I have enough experience to adapt a pattern.

Thanks for the tip about blocking I'll try that and see if that makes it less obvious

Sorry forum won't let me post the link which, according to the help pages, means the site has been added to it's filter. Looking for the reasons in the FAQ's it looks like a site that I wouldn't have used if I'd known what was happening. I suppose that my post doesn't make sense if you can't see the picture.

If the middle part is a symmetrical pattern like most doilies, you should be able to turn for each row.

Even though we can't see the pattern, you can post a photo of what you have crocheted, that would help with suggestions.

A picture would help a lot.

I've never had a problem with pineapples leaning even with you do the tips back and forth.

Sadly I think the picture of the single pineapple proves my point perfectly. The picture of the whole thing shows how the middle is done in the round and I'm now adding the right and left ends

post-58978-135897753594_thumb.jpg

post-58978-135897753599_thumb.jpg

Hi all, Is there anyone can help me with this, I'm doing a pineapple pattern at the moment but find that stitches are leaning to the left all the time (makes a very funny shaped pineapple as you can imagine). .

Are you using sc or dc when making the loops? It might be the picture but to me yours look like dc and usually pineapple loops are ch stitches and sc in next sp etc. Are you following British or US stitches?

Is this like the one you are doing?

table topper

Edited by sarisue

Hi Sarisue,

I have actually downloaded two patterns, the first was the one you showed the link for but found with sc for the loops it wasn't coming out right (I put this down to my crochet always coming out tight).

I then downloaded another one just called "free doily" from a different web site which had exactly the same picture but with tr instead of dc in the first couple of rounds and dc instead of sc in the loops thinking this would be better.

In the end I think it has just shown up the problem better of stitches leaning and think I will go back to the original pattern, as the old adage says "bigger isn't always better"

I made that doily, (or at least it looks a LOT like it, Coffee Table Topper from Freepatterns, right?) I just looked at mine...I don't recall having the issue but now that it's blocked, I can't see it.

As Kathy said, since you are now turning the piece you can see the nature of the stitches to lean, so it looks like

////

\\\\

////

\\\\

It just shows up more when the piece is lacy.

If the shells on the top of the doily are done correctly - blocking it will totally fix that. You'll be amazed at what blocking can fix.

I usually do pineapples with (sc, ch3) to make the loops of it. I don't think I've ever seen a pineapple done like that. Is that how the pattern's written?

oh - and you're doily is very pretty. It'll be worth it.

If you want you can water block it now and see how awesome it'll come out. This way you can feel more comfortable with putting in the work to finish it.

Hi Sarisue,I have actually downloaded two patterns, the first was the one you showed the link for but found with sc for the loops >>>>another one just called "free doily" from a different web site which had exactly the same picture but with tr instead of dc >>>>>.thinking this would be better.<<<<< "

Thanks for the answer I was just curious as I had never seen them done that way. I checked the pattern you used and from looking at the picture, the directions and the others there I believe it is the same pattern, but she has posted it in British terms which are different than ours. Their tr is our dc and their dc is our sc.

I think you should try the other suggestions though to see if that works as it looks nice so far.

Edited by sarisue

Hi everyone,

Just an update to the thread I started in March. It has taken me so long because I couldn't work out which thread to use, which crochet hook to use with which cotton - every single combination you can think of. I now have a basket full of balls of cotton of differing thicknesses but at least I will have to make some more things in order to use them up !!

Anyway, to make a very long story short I have finally finished one doily. I missed my friends' wedding anniversary (which this was started for) but have managed to finish in time to give to my friend for her birthday on Wednesday.

I'm posting a photo to show how it turned out (ends not sewn in yet but will be done tonight) because it is my first attempt and I'm quite pleased how it turned out.

One other thing, the friend of mine whose birthday is this week is my closest friend and would normally be the person I would turn to when I have a problem with anything to do with crochet/knitting etc., but couldn't as it would have spoiled the surprise so it has been very important to me to have the support of all you people who gave me advice when I first posted. I don't know if you can believe this but when things were at their worst and I'd started something for the 30th time I would actually remember you and just get back down to it again so I would have something to show you at the end.

Once again, thanks so much.

Regards:hug

post-58978-135897771798_thumb.jpg

It looks great! Isn't it great to have this online community to share our questions and successes:hook