I've lost my crochet mojo

I'm not sure what has happened, but I've lost my crochet mojo. I thought it would pass- but I haven't finished a project in months. I feel horrible about it... and guilty too.

I collect such wonderful afghans for the NICU babies from so many contributors, and I haven't finished a baby afghan in months. I feel like I"m letting the babies down and everyone else who helps me.

I'm not sure what to do to find it again. Any ideas?

Take a look at what others have been making on the site and that may give you some incentive to start up again.

Join a swap and get to know another member and you will want to make stuff for her.

I am sure it will come back - hang in there :cheer

Hang in there as it will go away. I have been through slumps before and in time they went away. Try making something else instead of the baby afghans. Something that doesn't take as much time as the baby afghans. Maybe booties or a cap. This may help you to get back in the swing of things.

If you're coordinating a charitable effort, I don't think you should feel guilty as I am sure that in itself is a lot of work.

I agree about making something different, a new pattern or a new type of project, or learn a new technique like tunisian, or even knitting. Maybe make something just for yourself or for a special person.

Take a trip to your nearest LYS and check out the new yarns, buy a special skein just to experiment with. Or if you do not have an LYS near enough, check out yarn and thread online; patternworks has a neat "test drive " for some yarns http://www.patternworks.com/landing/yarntestdrive.aspx

Or if you really need to have an extended break from crocheting, that is OK too...it is supposed to be fun, not a chore ;)

:lolI did for a few years and then went wild again ;

knitting ,crocheting . sewing. and quilting etc.

I think we all need to take a little break now and then

sometimes we just get burned out . hugs

I think we all go through a phase like that. Looking at new different patterns, finding new yarn and just relaxing, and the next thing you know the spark is back.

Stress is your biggest enemy, and the more guilt you put on yourself, the worse it will be. Relax, and before you know it you will have hook in hand once more, and the creative juices will be there for you.

aw, done that been there, lots of times. In one now sort of, so taking up some needlepoint, and or embroidery, or plastic canvas, or something new is helping me out somewhat, think Ill do another latch hook rug soon, my last was so fun!! Enjoy the down time, put your energy into something diff for a bit, it'll soon return home to you, when you least expect it! Happy Easter!

oh, and i forgot to add earlier, pick up a small project, say for a charity, that doesn't take long to do, for instance moo moo has a favorite charity for a no kill animal shelter, to provide toys and or pet beds, or mats. Doing a mat and knowing it might make the difference in some scared little lost or abandoned kitty or doggie, will inspire you, and make you feel better too. There are lots of things that dont' take much time, and provide instant or almost instant gratification, like the friendship ghan crochet along here at the ville too, grannys are simple, if you like, or more intricate, but always pretty fast, and playing with colors, and patterns, always fun! Check those out, and there are plenty more if you look around too! Good luck!!

I think it happens to all of us. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in what we're crocheting for that we lose the joy of simply crocheting.

My advice - relax. Put less demands on yourself and your crocheting. Simply enjoy it.

Awe,don't feel bad! We all go through it. I sometimes take a break and read a good book.

Looking at yarn is always an inspiration and new patterns!

I think it is a good idea to try something new to make. making the same old things can get boring!

Boy can I sympathize with this one. I can't just sit without my hands doing something but I lost all interest in design and creating new stuff.

Like you, I had the good sense to ask others for help and they all helped me. Most of them said what they are saying here, just relax and let it all go for as long as you need. I am pretty sure that when I get to heaven St. Peter will not ask me why I didn't make that one more blankie. :angel

Do take some time off and just enjoy life for a while. I understand that some people actually get through a whole lifetime without picking up a single crochet hook... imagine that :rofl

Thank you everyone! I think I need to find another Go-to baby afghan pattern. I am a huge fan of Aggie May's RR. I've probably done 50 or so in recent years- but I think I need to find another one for me to work on for a while. Something fast (so I can crank them out for the babies) and one that doesn't take a great deal of concentration (so I can watch tv while I do it). That, and maybe some new yarn, and hopefully, I"ll break this funk soon.

I would encourage you to try the Picot stitch baby blanket.

http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC00007&cat_id=297

I started 2 of these on a Thurs. night and finished both on Sunday afternoon. I made mine smaller than the pattern suggests but started with a multiple of 3+ 1.

The blankies on parade...

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137418

Archived