Just want to vent...

I just wanted to say that I am really getting frustrated =( I have been crocheting on and off for years, but still feel very much like a beginner. I have been working on something all day today that probably should have only taken a short time to do. For some reason every time I finish a round I have counted the stitches wrong and I have to take it out and do it again. In the past if this happened I probably would have just put it down and not finished it, but I am determined to get past that. I want to be able to actually finish some things. I am also having trouble keeping my stitches consistant so everything comes out lumpy. I guess that just takes practice, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

Thanks for listening =)

I can relate to your frustration and I am sure that we all have started that way. And sometimes still have off days (at least I do, lol). For the counts a wonderful tip that was shared with me recently from mattenylou is to place a stitch marker every 50 stitches or whatever number you think would work best. Then keep a correct count as you go along and if you find a mistake it's easy to see where you messed up.

As far as your tension goes, that really takes practice and finding a way to hold the yarn that is comfortable and gives consistent results. Also, crocheting while relaxed one day and super tense another will affect your tension if you don't acknowlege you are stressed ykwim?. For me I hold the hook and the yarn in my right hand and I get good results that way. If I try to hold the yarn in my left hand my tension is all over the place. Also, make sure you are doing the stitches correctly. When I first started I made my dc and trc totally wrong and had no idea. I watched a few youtube videos and fixed that, lol.

In time crocheting won't be frustrating for you, it will be relaxing. I have even crocheted while driving when I'm stopped at traffic lights. But only when I am really caught up in a project, lol.

Hi, welcome to the ville:hook

What exactly are you making? Rounds as in a doily center or top of a hat will be different than rounds in a garment made seamlessly.

For problem stitch counts, it helps to eliminate distractions....turn off the tv and find a time when you are by yourself if possible.

I can relate to your frustration and I am sure that we all have started that way. And sometimes still have off days (at least I do, lol). For the counts a wonderful tip that was shared with me recently from mattenylou is to place a stitch marker every 50 stitches or whatever number you think would work best. Then keep a correct count as you go along and if you find a mistake it's easy to see where you messed up.

As far as your tension goes, that really takes practice and finding a way to hold the yarn that is comfortable and gives consistent results. Also, crocheting while relaxed one day and super tense another will affect your tension if you don't acknowlege you are stressed ykwim?. For me I hold the hook and the yarn in my right hand and I get good results that way. If I try to hold the yarn in my left hand my tension is all over the place. Also, make sure you are doing the stitches correctly. When I first started I made my dc and trc totally wrong and had no idea. I watched a few youtube videos and fixed that, lol.

Couldn't have said it any better. The walking away for awhile after a few rip outs and re trying is OK. The trick is to get back on it once you are more relaxed in mind and hands (stress does cause tension to tighten).

And marking the stitches on a regular counted number is so important to save time and energy. Depending on the stitch, I have even marked every 10 stitches if the pattern stitch is complicated. Learning can be frustrating at times, but once you reach your comfort zone, your hands will take over even when the brain looses it's way..

:hook

Hi, welcome to the ville:hook

What exactly are you making? Rounds as in a doily center or top of a hat will be different than rounds in a garment made seamlessly.

For problem stitch counts, it helps to eliminate distractions....turn off the tv and find a time when you are by yourself if possible.

I am working on an amigurumi elephant. I did a different one the other day, and it took me a day to do. With this one I have been working on just the head ALL day. I had trouble starting the round for one thing... it said to ch 2, and sc 12 in 2nd ch from hook. It was really difficult to get all 12 sc in without them overlapping. (if that makes sense?) I got it done, but it was super difficult. I am also getting lumps that stick out (I'm guessing because of my inconsistant tension). I just really love this elephant and I am determined to get it right.

I am working on an amigurumi elephant. I did a different one the other day, and it took me a day to do. With this one I have been working on just the head ALL day. I had trouble starting the round for one thing... it said to ch 2, and sc 12 in 2nd ch from hook. It was really difficult to get all 12 sc in without them overlapping. (if that makes sense?) I got it done, but it was super difficult. I am also getting lumps that stick out (I'm guessing because of my inconsistant tension). I just really love this elephant and I am determined to get it right.

You might want to give the "magic loop" start a try. Here is a tutorial by our own Donna, crochetville admin. http://www.crochetme.com/forums/p/28917/90379.aspx

For amigurumi, if you are a stitch or so off on the count, it probably will make little difference to the overall project.

If you want help diagnosing the lumps, you could post a clear photo.

I am an experienced crocheter and have had to put down a project (even if is a pattern I have done over and over) when it just won't come out right. I will not let it win, but I find that walking away and doing another project and then going back to it, does work. You get so determined that it gets the best of you and that doesn't work. You could be in a mood (heaven help the world when I am in a post-menopausal mood swing) and that will affect the outcome. It is normal, we all go through it. Just hang in there and remember, you are not alone.

LI Roe

You might want to give the "magic loop" start a try. Here is a tutorial by our own Donna, crochetville admin. http://www.crochetme.com/forums/p/28917/90379.aspx

For amigurumi, if you are a stitch or so off on the count, it probably will make little difference to the overall project.

If you want help diagnosing the lumps, you could post a clear photo.

Question - my pattern says to sc around - the "magic loop" says to dc around... would I still need to dc or should I sc like the pattern says?

You would sc as your pattern says ;)

Thank you very much! I noticed that when I ch 3 (to serve as the first sc) that it was quite larger than the rest of my stitches. Should I change it to ch 2 instead? Or even ch 1? Sorry if I sound dumb, lol.

Thank you very much! I noticed that when I ch 3 (to serve as the first sc) that it was quite larger than the rest of my stitches. Should I change it to ch 2 instead? Or even ch 1? Sorry if I sound dumb, lol.

The turning chain for sc is only one chain, not three. Three is for dc.

The reason for the turning chain is to raise your level up to the stitch height of the next row. So it varies depending on the stitch you are using.

sc- turning chain=1, and DOESN'T count as a stitch

dc- turning chain=3, and usually DOES count as a stitch

If you make loose chains like I do, you may want to chain only 2 for dc, but follow the pattern for now ;)

Such a good question and good advise...I always work on one or more and sometimes way more projects then I should :) so I do just change to another project but one biggest factor that has changed my crocheting, including; speed, tension, hand pain and consequently enjoy-ability is I changed out all my hooks to the bamboo handled. When the soft clover hooks came out I really liked them but picked one up one day and my hands were hurting in no time. I am left handed but don't think that really has anything to do with it. Love the bamboo hooks, they have made a big difference in my Crochet Life~~~

I had a crochet day like that this past week. I had to rip the same thing out twice. I decided to put call it a day after I finally got the motif done. It is an afghan I really need to finish, but when I start having that much trouble, I need a break.

You don't want to combine patterns. The magic loop is a starting technique. What follows after in the tutorial is specifically for the tutorial.

Your pattern says to 12sc so you would 12 sc whether it is in the last chain from the hook or in the magic loop.

I imagine that 12 sc would make for a lumpy beginning BUT it should smooth out after a few rounds.

Can you post a link to the pattern itself?

I have tried several methods of adjustable loop and this one seems to be the easiest explanation...I was able to accomplish it on my first try...Thanks for the link...

You don't want to combine patterns. The magic loop is a starting technique. What follows after in the tutorial is specifically for the tutorial.

Your pattern says to 12sc so you would 12 sc whether it is in the last chain from the hook or in the magic loop.

I imagine that 12 sc would make for a lumpy beginning BUT it should smooth out after a few rounds.

Can you post a link to the pattern itself?

The pattern that I have is in a book. Don't know if I am allowed to post it?

The pattern that I have is in a book. Don't know if I am allowed to post it?

You can't post the whole pattern. You can post a bit of the pattern, the part you have questions about.

Do you have questions about the pattern now?

Archived