How to crochet a swirl?

Pheonsix

Question

I'm going to start a free form piece and I want to make a swirl.....sort of like and S shaped swirl.....I've been searching for two days and can't find something to show or tell me how to make one. Is there a way to make a swirl design that looks similar to an S but with curvy ends?

If anyone can direct me to a page or tell me how to do it I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks so much:)

8 answers to this question

Are you going to be working in the round? If so work a designated number of stitches separated by a ch 1 space. On the next round, work 2 stitches in the first stitch, work one stitch in each stitch across to the next ch 1 sp. Ch 1, skip the space. Repeat. These instructions will help you if you intend on increasing. If you do not wish to increase, simply stitch 2 stitches together right before the ch 1 sp. That way, each round will still have the same number of stitches, but you will still create a swirl.

Hope that helps! :)

there is a design by Kristin Omdahl called Infinity that starts out with an S shape swirl http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/infinity-wrap

it is easier to see the S in some of the project photos. this is in the Best of Interweave Crochet book, which you should be able to get via your local library.

Thanks ladies....boy is that infinity wrap pretty!!!.

I've seen the design before and now that I want it I can't find it.....hate when that happens. I need to save and write things down.

Thanks ladies....boy is that infinity wrap pretty!!!.

I've seen the design before and now that I want it I can't find it.....hate when that happens. I need to save and write things down.

Any clues as to where you saw it, or what exactly you saw?

Have you looked on freeform websites, or freeform books?

That's exactly where I saw it on a free form piece!!!! Thanks.....I think I'll search free form and if I find a pic I'll try to post it here. Visuals are always better.

Thanks so much for the welcome. You have no idea how excited I am that there is a forum for crocheters!!!

That's exactly where I saw it on a free form piece!!!! Thanks.....I think I'll search free form and if I find a pic I'll try to post it here. Visuals are always better.

Thanks so much for the welcome. You have no idea how excited I am that there is a forum for crocheters!!!

good luck finding it!

Yep, Crochetville is a special place:)

Archived