how good is red heart brand yarn

dragonlord

It depends on what you're using it to make. If it's a child's blanket then it's great! The colors stay true, it wears like iron and can hold up to the beating it'll take as a favorite blankie.

If you're using it for a sweater you can find softer yarns that feel better against the skin.

All in all it's a very good yarn and it's stood the test of time. It's scratchy but a lot of that washes out.

It depends on what you're using it to make. If it's a child's blanket then it's great! The colors stay true, it wears like iron and can hold up to the beating it'll take as a favorite blankie.

If you're using it for a sweater you can find softer yarns that feel better against the skin.

All in all it's a very good yarn and it's stood the test of time. It's scratchy but a lot of that washes out.

That is exactly how I feel about it too!

• 4 weeks later...

It is primarily the brand I use, unless I need cotton or a novelty yarn. Personally, I've learned how to make it work for me. Stitch, pattern choice, and hook size can make the yarn soft as lace or stiff like canvas. Love its versatility!

I agree with RoseRed. It is great for charity afghans, childrens toys and afghans, and anything that will get washed frequently. I personally use it often because it's mainly what is available locally, but I love Bernat when I can get it.

I agree with RoseRed, too. However, I just bought some pretty nasty Red Heart at Wal Mart. It must've been a bad run because the twist of the yarn is pretty loose and there seems to be a thread removed making it thinner. Otherwise, Red Heart is great for high-usage afghans. I make dish cloths with it because they bubble up the soap really well and are good scrubbers. You can bleach it and the color stays.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally have two afghans that are over 25 years old, each made with Red Heart Super Saver Yarns. They have "held up" very nicely. Machine washed and dried, with plenty of softner. Wonderful! Here is a pic of one of them..........

post-28899-135897757493_thumb.jpg

I agree with what RoseRed said, too. I also wanted to add that IMO it doesn't work well for socks (I just made some with it, and I don't like them..) But for slippers it works great. (It's about the only yarn I can get in this town, except what little our "LYS" has.)

ETA: Beautiful afghan, LaceAngel!

I personally have two afghans that are over 25 years old, each made with Red Heart Super Saver Yarns. They have "held up" very nicely. Machine washed and dried, with plenty of softner. Wonderful! Here is a pic of one of them..........

which afghan is this? I was going to ask if it was the charlston?

My son and his wife have the afghan I made for the couch I crocheted and used Red heart Yarns - when I was pregante with him , he is 31 years old now. Holding up well and been thru washings. I use all kinds of yarn, depending on what the project is and importantlly the color. Yes, I love Red Heart yarn, but I do not care for baby clouds yarns that much.

It seems like a lot of the replies are talking about Red Heart Super Saver, the wears like iron scratchy til it softens up yarn. Red Heart makes many other yarns, which aren't really comparable to RHSS. To name a few that i have used: Creme de la Creme is a light worsted cotton that is great for washcloths. Designer Sport is an acrylic that has a pretty color range. And Red Heart makes the Aunt Lydia's range of cotton and bamboo threads.

One of the best for long wear at a low price. I personally am not fond of Super Saver, but have used the Classic, Sport and Creme de la Creme and love it. Each Brand of Yarn will have some you like and some you don't. All personal preference.

which afghan is this? I was going to ask if it was the charlston?

No, it's not the charlston, but close. It's a type of closed granny sq with a layered rose with leaves surrounding the rose. I've lost the pattern in my "many moves", but I'm pretty positive that it was in a Family Circle or Women's Day many, many years ago. I'm in the process of "reverse engineering" that very afghan so I can make somemore. LOL

I am pretty much a Red Heart evangelist. I love their products.

If you want a worsted weight that feels better against the skin (at least in my estimation), the With Love has a pretty good selection of colors, and a very nice feel. The Red Heart is also washable and not at all precious, which, if you are making items for charity, is pretty important.

I find that if you soak the Red Heart Super Saver in a warm water and white vinegar bath (then rinse and roll between towels and let dry), you end up with a lot more drape. I learned this the hard way when I was making something that I did not want to have much drape, but it worked to my advantage with my psychedelic circle jacket (Drops Design pattern) seen here:

post-43348-135897758388_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm wondering about the "scratchy" SuperSaver. It seems to me as it is certain colors that has this problem. Some multicolors, black and red cherry to name some. If that is the case it would be easy to avoid those. What is your experience?

I've the worst one I've found for stiffness is the Coffee RHSS. Thought I was crocheting with rope or something, but when washed it was nice and soft. RHSS is my go to yarn because of its durability and color range. I've never made anything from it in the past 35 years or so that hasn't softened beautifully when washed and dried. If I am going to put many hours of work (not to mention many dollars) into a project, I want it to last. That's why I won't use Caron's Super Soft. It feels nice working with it, but sometimes it pills up before I have finished what I am working on. Won't use it again no matter how soft it is.

This was tapestry crocheted a few years ago. It had a bit of a scratchy feel to it when it was new, but it's soft now. The variegated that I used was Red Heart Super Saver's Peruvian Print. The giraffes are made using RHSS Cornmeal. It's a very nice throw for the cold winter days!

Archived