is it true that wall mart is getting rid of its yarn

dragonlord

My store got rid of most of their arts & crafts stuff, including a bunch of yarn. Now its a very pitiful selection of yarn. Most of the other craft stuff is just pony beads and puff paint. I keep hoping my store will expand their yarn selection but I'm not that lucky. I'll keep buying Brava instead :D

It depends on your location. We have two within driving distance. Both

have done away with fabric, but have kept the yarn but its just one isle.

They were questioned about their policies. Our church brought a lot of

material,yarn and so forth. They said they have a daily sales figure that

must be met or any item will be removed. Its their company policy.

A relative in another area told their walmart no longer has yarn, but still

on some fabric, but not as much as they did years ago.

The Walmarts by me only have 1/2 aisle of yarn but two brought back fabric and it is a large amount in one store. The other day a woman bought over $250 worth of fabric. RedHeart has a mistletoe (red/white/green) yarn that only one Walmart by me seems to carry.

LI Roe

Walmart here in St Pete did away with fabric years ago...Now their yarn is very limited...They still have a good notions section and pleanty of scrapbooking supplies...I don't go there very often, but I hope they don't do away with the yarn...

Our WalMart went from a regular one to a Superstore. When that happened, they took out most of the crafts, yarn, and all the fabric. We were left with 1 row of yarn and 1 of crafts, mostly aimed at children and teens.

There was such an uproar here, that a few months ago, the fabric dept was returned to us. It's not as big, but it's back.

Our Walmart has a limited selection and no fabric. But the within 40 miles in two different directions are Walmarts that have a better selection and still have fabric. And one of those was just built, so it's newer. I think it just depends on the location. I really wish that my local Walmart had a better yarn/sewing/craft dept. But I guess there isn't that much call for it where I am?

What bothers me more than the yarn dilemma at W M is the fact that in so many small towns, you can't even buy the notions for simple hand mending. I guess that just boosts internet sales. Of course so many folks wear jeans and tee shirts, there may not be as much need as I think.

The older I get, though, the more I look to online shopping.

I have 3 Walmarts close by. The "big" store #1 had yarn when it opened 4 years ago, but no fabric ... it cut back on yarn for awhile, but just before Christmas, they brought in fabric (on bolts) and now have almost 2 aisles of it, but only about 3/4 aisle of yarn. I've noticed that they have less Red Heart yarn and more Lion and Bernat on the shelves now.

Walmart #2 had the best fabric section of all 3, but then it went away completely and is not back ... yarn has been severely cut, too.

Walmart #3 is the newest store to my south. Very limited yarn, and the fabric is pre-cut for projects. Not loving their offerings, so I stick with store #1 most of the time.

When we visited my MIL in Minnesota a few years ago, they still had lots of yarn available, and that was during the height of stores eliminating craft departments. It's a shame it differs so much from store to store ...

Archived