Tunisian Stitch

crochetlady100

Question

I have just started doing the tunisian stitch, the simple stitch, the problem I am having is it is curling, the one place I went said to crochet a single crochet around and that should stop it, but of course it is not. Does anyone do this stitch, what am I doing wrong, how can I stop it from curling.

Thank you

Trish

7 answers to this question

I've only done a few squares in Tunisian, but yeah, I got the same curling action too. Some of them uncurled with the sc border, others didn't. I only have one size hook, so I can't experiment to see if using a larger hook would help. You might try stitching a lot looser on the chain and first few rows? If all else fails, block the heck out of it when you're done lol. Good luck!

This happens in stockinette when you knit as well, and the reason is the same. Because the stitches on one side are infintessimally shorter than the stitches on the other side. Even though you never turn Tunisian crochet, it still creates a front and back (duh) In knitting, it disappears in sweaters and the like because you assemble the garment and the curling can't happen. If you're working in squares or strips, it will probably disappear to some degree when you stitch them together. If not, you can try the sc border again but I would suggest doing it in a smaller hook, so that it's tighter and pulls more.

AidanM is right. I love tunisian, but it always curls and there's not anything you can do to stop it unless you are sewing pieces together or you make a border; a wider border will get rid of the curling. Also, you can sew a plain piece on the back if it's something rather small (if I do this, I use half-double-crochet stitches, because sc takes too long, but double-crochet is too loose) and that will straighten it out. Blocking helps a little bit, but it won't completely get rid of the curling.

Have you ladies tried double ended crochet. It's the same as tunisian but you can work two different colours. If the curling is bothering you you could use the double ended hook for the firsst half a dozen rows using two balls of the same colour the continue as nomal ignoring the other hook or changing back to a tunisian hook. :cheer Jacqui

I have just started doing the tunisian stitch, the simple stitch, the problem I am having is it is curling, the one place I went said to crochet a single crochet around and that should stop it, but of course it is not. Does anyone do this stitch, what am I doing wrong, how can I stop it from curling.

Thank you

Trish

hello Trish!

:cheer:cheer:cheerWelcome to the world of tunisian crochet! Its my favorite! To stop it from curling you can work a row of Tunisian purl stitch as the first row or youcan alternate tunisian purl with the regular tunisian stitch. This gives a nice edge and it does not roll the fabric!!! I use this technique all the time and it works!!!

hopefully by monday I should get my camera fixed and then I can post some pictures of my work where it lays flat without curling!

hugs

Vims:yay

hello Trish!

:cheer:cheer:cheerWelcome to the world of tunisian crochet! Its my favorite! To stop it from curling you can work a row of Tunisian purl stitch as the first row or youcan alternate tunisian purl with the regular tunisian stitch. This gives a nice edge and it does not roll the fabric!!! I use this technique all the time and it works!!!

hopefully by monday I should get my camera fixed and then I can post some pictures of my work where it lays flat without curling!

hugs

Vims:yay

Thanks for the tip:)

I am sure many of us will be happy to try it.

I would love to see your work!

By the way, the current Crochet Fantasy has quite a bit on TC.

Archived