Device for measuring length of yarn?

I am wondering if there is a "doo hickey" for measuring a length of leftover yarn. Like something you snap on to yarn at the start of a length and then as you wind the remnant of the skein, you would pull the yarn along and it would say how many yards you have? Kind of like what they use to measure decor fabric from one roll to another at fabric stores.

That way you know if you have enough length for a certain project.

Does anyone know what I mean? Do I need to invent one?

Thanks

Well, I'll be! That was a new one on me and I'm an oldie! Hehehe! I may have to order one of these gadgets myself! I usually do the "nose to fingertip" yardage measuring technique. Mine is exactly a yard with my head turned to the side. But this technique is easier to do with fabric than yarn so I would be very interested in this gadget. Thanks for passing on the info! I guess in this day and age they have a gadget or an app to do just about anything. Now if they could come up with one to wash my windows, I'd really be happy!

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone. I am torn between being happy to be able to go buy one and being bummed that I don't get my million dollar idea just yet. I had no clue what to call them in a google search!

I guess I am off to stimulate the economy!

Wow...that's way wierd?! I've never heard of such a thing and I'm young! I suppose it would save a lot of ripping

I was at my Joann's today, they didn't have it.. Darn, I really wanted one!

I got one at Joanns today. It was 19.99 but I had a coupon. It sticks to a table with suction cups. I'll let you know how it works!

I didn't know they had that. I learn something new every day.

:manyheart

I bought the Boye one but found it was very inaccurate. Then I got one that was intended for measuring fishing line (apparently the yarn ones like Boye were patterned after these). It was a little more accurate but a hassle to use. But I guess if you don't need an exact measurement and just an approximate measure will do, they are okay.

• 1 month later...

There is something called a McMorran Yarn Balance which can be used as part of the process of measuring yarn, but it has two problems. First it is presently out of production and second, you will still need to do the math - but for accurancy and "speed" it wins.

The problem with any/all of the "Yardage Counters" is that it is almost like gauge, the results will vary depending on the amount of tension on any woolen spun type yarn (that is woolen as in how it is prepared, not the content) . Most of your Chain Store yarns and actaully most acrylics are "woolen spun"

The Counters are more accurate with the less stretchy yarns such as those intended to be used by weavers, and those that are large worsted spun such as cottons and most rayons - again, just a ROT (rule of thumb) not an absolute.

FWIW, I have much better things to do in my life then sit there rewinding yarns to get a usually inaccurate +/- 10-20% guesstimate. And yes the ones used for fishing line are the most accurate.

Frankly, for the price of a good postage scale (under $20) that will do fractional measuring of both grams and ounces, and the most basic of math, you will get a much more accurate measurement. Usually accrate with 3-5%. And is often faster than even the McMorran

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Hi Wheat,

I have to pay attention to way too many details at work, so my yardage counter is not going to be for a knit-picking-most-know-the-exact-yardage type of thing. I really just wanted a loose idea of how much RHSS (for example) it takes to make a beanie hat. I am a real beginner in skill level so I don't branch out much.

I had never thought of a scale before. I do have one of those. Well, I guess two options are always better than one. Thanks for the idea.

Isn't that what a niddy-noddy does? Besides makeing skeins, that is. I know they aren't totally accurate because the wraps that go on top of previous wraps are a bit longer, but you'd never come up short. Besides, niddy-noodies are so, oh, low tech and can be nice to look at.

I also saw somewhere that you can make them from white pvc pipe.... not as purty but cheap.

Hmm... I guess they're shaped kinda like the letter H, but with the upright legs at right angles to one another. The space between the legs is a measured distance so when you wind yarn over the legs, you get multiples of the measured lengths. Cool eh?

Archived