Off Topic Post: Zentangles

danajokc

Your doodles are very nice looking.

I took a look at the main pages of the zentangle site, and googled zentangle, and i have to say it sounds rather "emperor's new clothes" to me. I just can't see how doodling is anything to take instruction in. if i still had my class notes from college or notes i took in endless meetings while working, i would fill pages with doodles, which looked a lot like that.

If there were a little more information on what the actual technique is, maybe i would see something different. All i see Is advertising for classes.

ETA: i mean the zentangled site and others i found googling seem to just be advertising, not your blog entry.

Hi Kathy. I knew exactly what you meant. Most creatives, IMO, are inclined to do well at most of what they put their hands to. My 'doodles' from the past, the ones that I take creative credit for are very similar to the zentangle, but the technique that they used on that site and others, involved an 'intentionality' that mine never had. So that intrigued me.

I saw a lady at a vintage/antique show a few years ago, she did this ink work on paper mache boxes. Her doodles, had very specific repeated patterns that turned into bigger pictures. It was incredible!

I just found this purposeful approach a lot of fun. I also find that trying new things or different processes really boosts my creativity. Gotta love that!

Thanks for checking out my post, Kathy. I appreciate you sharing your time with me.

Hi Dana,

I found the idea behind it all so interesting. And you are right, like doodling, crocheting creatively is one stitch, one pattern at a time. Sometimes repeated and sometimes branching into a new stitch/design.

Used to doodle alot when younger, but not so much now. However I do love to doodle with my yarn and hooks, making new items all my own...

I doodle at meetings- it really helps keep focus. I had read some articles that say studies have shown that doodling actually helps you retain what was said- especially during boring meetings! And it helps me. Some of my doodles are zentagle-like- never knew I was doing that! I like the idea of the "intentionality"

thanks for sharing this information, Kathy!

Archived